Hosted by Darren Baker
Rest in Peace
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:25 AM UTC

a sad tail of the semi trailer. I lent this model to a group who put on a display of artwork and other hand made stuff made by disabled folk here in town for 'Disability' week where the displays bring to the attention of all the able bodied folk just what the disabled can do.

It was placed in a 'gallery' cafe here in town and the folk who own the gallery allowed someone to either pick it up and drop it or knock it off the shelf and drop it to the floor.

The trailer needs a full rebuild and the prime mover is slightly damaged but I will probably have to strip the truck as the paint for both is a special mix and I may not be able to exactly match it.

So my lesson is learnt! I will NOT lend any models again unless they are behind glass where no one can touch or knock them.

Sorry just needed to vent my disappointment.

Cliff
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:32 AM UTC
I can understand your frustration..

Your work is so excellent that it is a shame thet anything happens to them..

I'm sure there are a lot of us who would vent if something similar was to happen to us.........

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:36 AM UTC
Ouch -sorry to hear about that. To bad.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:49 AM UTC
Cliff, you should know the old adage:

"No good deed goes unpunished..." :-)

Sorry that you had to have your truck "Meril-ized". (Inside local club joke.) Hope it "get's well" soon.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 01:12 AM UTC
Man I feel your pain! Doesn't seem right that you go out of your way to help thjis group, then they don't take reasonable percausions to protect your work. I certainly hope you at least received a written applogy from the director of the program.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 01:37 AM UTC
KILL THEM AND EAT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, very sorry. I lent a bunch of my models to a shop years ago. They didn't pay much attention and let some goon walk away with about a dozen of my pieces, those not stolen were left in pieces!
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
Armorama: 190 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 02:02 AM UTC
I completely understand your disapointment/anger/frustration...

The least they could do is offer you a new kit to compentatse the dammage

cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 02:07 AM UTC
What a shame Cliff. Some people just don't understand the work and devotion involved in our hobby.
However, if anyone can salvage it, you can.

Chuck
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Armorama: 761 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 02:12 AM UTC
Hi Cliff!!!

It's really bad and I have been there!
That's why now I am the ONLY PERSON to touch my models (exhibitions, contests, shows, neighbours, friends even Mrs Skipper nows)
Behing glass is good, if the model is glued to the base

Sorry Mate

Skipper
dukw
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 02:25 AM UTC
I suffer with you Cliff
That's the reason why i don't like Exhibitions. Many spectator don't take care, grab with their fingers, push against the tables or so. Thank god that such a bad thing doesn't happened to me.

Cheers Harald
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 03:51 AM UTC
I feel for you,guy.I have lost 2 dios at the paws of the postal trunk monkeys.Seems like you have to be with your display 24/7 to make sure the gremlins don't get it.
best of luck
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 04:58 AM UTC
I really feel for you Cliff, my models only leave my home if they're going to a new owner!
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 05:49 AM UTC
Cliff i am sorry to hear of the damage to that great build you did, some people just don't get it.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 09:03 AM UTC
Cliff
Sorry that had to happen
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 10:15 AM UTC
What a shame on a one of a kind build
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 10:26 AM UTC
Sorry to hear the news Cliff......
No great words of wisdom from me...... it's just a shame that people can't be more careful with other peoples stuff.
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 505 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 10:44 AM UTC
Sorry about your loss Cliff. I guess only someone that makes these beasts can appreciate the amount of work that goes into one of your builds. I really feel for you!
I hope it was a complete accident and not just some one fooling around with it and not giving a hoot for someone elses hard work,
Tapper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 664 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:44 AM UTC
Thats terrible, Roo. I'm amazed people dont have more respect for other people's things, especially something that was constructed by hand. I hope it all gets back together soon!
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:55 AM UTC

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Mr ROO..Sir........had my new "diggy-thing " damaged at a show last Saturday.......and my M1070 .......AND .....my scratch Scammell EKA----------- It is so..o...oh annoying ........wouldn't mind if the perpertators owned up.......my commiserations..it was a "cracker"..liked that one a lot
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 03:24 PM UTC
mr.roo,..sorry to hear the bad news. only a modeller can appreciate a modeller's work. some guys just think they're toys..felt bad when i hear news like this. we all have our lesson learned .
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Armorama: 582 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 03:54 PM UTC
That's pretty bad, man. I get jittery when someone even leans close to one of my models to have a closer look! Even when it's another modeller. And I certainly don't allow anyone to touch 'em. I still have bad memories of my teenie days when I didn't have anywhere safe to display my stuff: I'd come home from school to find my models in pieces cos my mum had dusted them!
Mack
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 09:48 AM UTC
I really sympathise! I have 4 year old who loves playing with my models therefore everything is locked away out of sight and out of mind. I don't know why I bother building them...

Nah! I do know!
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 12:09 PM UTC
Nooooooooooo!
Fortunately,my LHS has a locking display case in the entry hall,and I place my objet-darts in personnally.
I've been lucky so far.At a show last year,a guy had a nice bergepanther,which had part of the lifting jib snappd off by

a judge!
sacre blue!
(++) (++)
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 09:52 PM UTC
Just as an update on this incident the trailer is basicly a writeoff! Both rear springs were cracked and to redo all the side supports means it is easier to remake rather then fix as these supports are on the outside of the side panels and cannot be hidden.. A lot of this damage was not appearent until the load was removed and it was checked out real well.

At least I have the load, 3 wheels (One was cracked around the centre) the axle, the spare tyre and rack and some patterns for the remake. (LOL not a lot from a whole trailer now is it)

The truck also suffered some damage but I do not think it warrents a full strip down as it is not very noticeable. But knowing me when I have more time that part will also be stripped and fixed to my satisfaction. I just hope I can match the paint or it will be an early rebuild rather then a later one.

Cheers
Cliff
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 02:59 AM UTC
Echoing everyone here, my deepest sympathies for your loss. However, out of death comes renewal, so scrap it for spares, or chock it up to "battle-damage."

This may be really out of line and purely a result of my politically-incorrect humor, but does anyone else here see the irony with this model being "disabled" while being displayed at "Disability Week"?

Either way, it really does look like there is a bunch of parts that can be used for other unique builds. Hopefully we can soon see reincarnated cargo on your latest beauty!

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP