Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Commonwealth In Normandy 1944 campaign
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 01:51 AM UTC
Thanks Pat, found the kind of images I was looking for!

Martin
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Armorama: 825 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 02:23 AM UTC
Thanks as well Pat

I found the perfect image for my Churchill dio

Ian
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 02:29 AM UTC
I decided to put as many British vehicles on my dio as possible.....Churchill, Sherman Crab, Brencarrier, M3 scout car, jeep, dingo etc. All during the actions around Caen in 1944.

Gonna squeeze all these vehicles in a 100x20cm diorama

At least that's my goal, some sort of traffic jam showing all sorts of British equipment.

We'll see how it works out

Martin
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Armorama: 825 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 02:31 AM UTC
Wow Martin , cant wait to see your dio , its going to be huge :-)

Ian
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 12:43 AM UTC
Who can identify this stuart? Looks like a M3A1 to me

http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/media/images/Photographs/Image/B_006748.jpg

Martin
Removed by original poster on 07/17/06 - 23:39:57 (GMT).
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 02:40 AM UTC
Progressing well. Completed a Sherman and 12 Guardsmen so far for the dio. All being well I'll post some pics tomorrow. I still haven't decided whether to go for an urban or rural setting (although I'm leaning towards rural) so they're not weathered yet. I've had a dig about and found some stuff I built years ago that may get Mr. Muscled so I can use them. I'm looking at a few German vehicles abandoned at the side of the road as they're passed by the Guards armoured column. I was going to go smaller on this dio but. the way I'm building I have a nasty feeling that this is going to be a big one. We've still got 6 months left so I think it's going to grow. Hows everyone else doing?
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 850 posts
Armorama: 548 posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 01:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Who can identify this stuart? Looks like a M3A1 to me

http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/media/images/Photographs/Image/B_006748.jpg

Martin

Yes, definitely an M3A1. It doesn't have the raised cupola of the M3, or the completely sloped front of the later models.

Dave
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 04:50 PM UTC
Hi all,
Wel i'm in for my first campaign.I started the week after the campaign was given the go ahead.Here is where i'm at after the last week and a half.Figures are from Tamiya,with Warrior heads.Does anyone else have a sneak peak of their progress?Good luck guys,Shay
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 07:17 PM UTC
How stupid, I didn't realise I could start already. Well let's start with the lay-out of my diorama tonight then :-) :-)
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 545 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 07:03 PM UTC
I didn't realize I could start already! Thought I had to wait another week. This is my first campaign...don't really have a clue as to what I'm gonna do yet....But looking forward to finnally building some of my british stuff.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 09:08 PM UTC
Well started today with a M3 scout car, one of the vehicles which will be included on my diorama.

Martin
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 1,923 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 01:23 PM UTC
I'm in. Next weekend I will start my Firefly Vc (1/35 Dragon of course). I haven't decided yet how dio would look like.
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 07:24 PM UTC
Did the Sherman Firefly's fight in or around the hedgerows? I'm sure they must have, but I can't find any type of reference addressing it.
Was thinking of putting my firefly in that setting.
Every other photo reference show large meadow fields or towns.

Thanks for any help,
Bob
squeakyclean
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 07:45 PM UTC
I've been working on the figures for my dio, and hope to post some pics up very soon. At first I thought the deadline was way off but, as with all deadlines, I think I'm only just gonna have enough time!

Quoted Text

Did the Sherman Firefly's fight in or around the hedgerows?

Hi Bob

Have you seen (or can you get) a copy of 'British Armour in Normandy' by Ludovic Fortin? It really is excellent with plenty of pics, illustrations and explanations. I got mine from Amazon.
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 08:21 PM UTC
OK MAtt. I'm taking you at your word about the book, It should be here by Wednesday.
Actually thanks for the referal, I also went ahead and purchased another book concerning Marine Tanks in the Pacific, one that I was holding off on.
Should be some great reading.
Thanks Matt,
Bob
squeakyclean
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 08:26 PM UTC
I'm sure you won't be disappointed mate, I've spent many hours drooling over the pics and diorama possibilities since I got my copy!

Glad to be of service old chap.

Matt
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 878 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 02:18 AM UTC
Hi all

I'm almost finish with my Churchill tank. I'm not sure about the dio, but it might be a crossroad outside Caen, where troops are gathering to join the fighting.

Untill now I have: 1 Churchill, 2 crewmembers, 2 telegraphpoles and a bike! Not much...but its a start.

Cheers

Simon
sonnyboy
Visit this Community
Denmark
KitMaker: 473 posts
Armorama: 252 posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 04:45 AM UTC
Hello gents, this is nighthawk calling... lol love that serie...

well the hull interior is almost complete in my sherman, now i need to complete following things

AFV club tracks
Turret interior
Figures
Etch
Paint and weathering!

by the way. Does any one have a spare Tamiya turret, i have lost mine, while i have moved to my new appartment?

Looking forward to see all the things completed
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:42 PM UTC
M3 scout car ready for paint, Universal Carrier almost ready for paint....

The diorama will also include my Sherman Crab which I've build almost a year ago but which I still need to finish. Also ready for fresh paint :-)

I need some help with units involved in the Caen fighting. My plan is to build a diorama where a Sherman Crab of the 79th passes a recon troop of an armoured division.

I was thinking about the 7th Armoured division. The stuart tank on my diorama will have markings for the 22nd armoured bridgade. But what markings should I give the light vehicles on the diorama (M3 scout car, Universal Carrier) ??

Martin
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 07:08 AM UTC
Matt,
'British Armour in Normandy' by Ludovic Fortin, just came in today, excellent reference Thanks for the excellent suggestion.
Bob
squeakyclean
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:36 PM UTC
No problem Bob, glad its what you were looking for.

Now, you might just be able to return the favour...

I'm not (by any stretch of the imagination) an expert on German forces in and around Normandy in 1944. I have reference books and the Internet, but do you know of any books along the same lines as the 'British Armour in Normandy' book you've just got for yourself? Kind of an overview of German forces and armour?

Although most of my work is concentrating on British and Commonwealth subject matter, obviously I'm going to have to include the Axis forces in some way and don't really want to keep 'forking' out for independent reference books dealing specifically with the 12th SS or the Sdkfz 251 etc.

Any advice you or any of the other guys can give would be great.

Cheers mate and happy reading.

Matt
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 03:03 PM UTC
Hi all,

Did the 7th Armoured Division use M3 scout cars in their recon units? I assume they did but can't find anything about it.

And did recon units also use Universal Carriers? The decal options in the Tamiya kit are all for infantry divisions.

What decals should I use for a Universal Carrier in or with the 7th Armoured Division near Caen.

Thanks,
Martin
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 06:19 PM UTC
Matt,
Sorry but I'm like you. WWII Allied. I add in something German if it was a gift or it's part of a larger story. In other words only if I have to, tried my best to stay away from german items. The only german references I have are mixed in with Allied material. I'll look through them to see if it relates but I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks again for the reference, I glanced through it last night and it has tons of great info. I'm just going to have to sit down and read the fine print. Maybe I can answer Martin's question.
Bob
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 08:08 PM UTC
Matt, I've got a few books on HJ so let me know what info you're after and I'll try and oblige with the info.
Martin,I've been having a bit of a dig about re the M3. I can't find any pics but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet they were used. In relation to carriers...Each Infantry battalion had one Carrier platoon which was used for supply and recconaissance so you're okay with using infantry markings. (I read an amusing tale of one carrier in Epsom taking a wrong turn at night while doing a recce and ending up behind enemy lines.Needless to say they didn't hang about. Good job their uniforms were khaki :-) ) Armoured divisions used very few Bren carriers and they were mainly for FOO's. If you're going for in and around Caen you're best off with 3rd Inf or 50th Infdivs. Both operated with 7th Armoured. Hope that's of some help.