Hosted by Darren Baker
Operation Barbarossa Group Build
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 03:56 AM UTC
I am building a panzer llF out of the box. I am looking forward to the start date.

Cheers
Paul
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 05:20 PM UTC
OK, count me in. Not sure exactly what and which category yet, but leaning towards Panzer IIIH. (DML)

Best of luck to all...

Scott
mrs_selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 225 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 05:00 AM UTC
Well, looks like I'll be getting in on the act as well in the group build. Most probably I'll be staying away from the actual tanks themselves, and most probably go with something Russian. I still have yet to acquire a kit and finalize a decision on what it will be, but I have been reading in here and have a good idea of what not to build.

#:-) I must be crazy!! LOL (++)
mrs_selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 08:54 AM UTC
Ok, I'm definitely in! I've decided on the following:

1/35 tam35051 SdKfz 222 Leichter Panzerspahwagen

Will be ordering the kit in a few days so should be here in plenty of time for the start build.

I assume I will be doing OOB, unless the differences are significant enough to need some detailing and changes by hand. I won't be buying any accessories for it.

If anyone has any good sites where I can research this vehicle, color, detailing, etc. Let me know plz. Thankfully I have Selrach to aid me with suggestions and such. But I will be doing all the work and making the final decisions.

avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 11:39 PM UTC
Here is a sight that will give you some help with the interior since so much of it is visible through the open turret: http://www.kithobbyist.com/AFVInteriors/222/222a.html.
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 03:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time for ol' Yoda to ask a few... intelligent ( )....questions...

-Where did Operation Barbarossa take place?
-What was the general geograpic region like?
-What kind of camo, if any, was used on vehicles?

From the list Avukich provided, I see that the few German armor kits I own are not elgible. (that figures...) So I thought I'd just get Tamiya's sdkfz 250 or something...

YodaMan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very good questions young man. Operation Barbarossa was the Third Reich's code name for their invasion of the Soviet Union. It began 22 June 1941 and Hitler believed that Russia would fall before the notorious Russian winter began. So by going by the German planned time table, the operation would have run from 22 June to 21 December (when fall ends and winter begins on the calendar) 1941.

Camouflage would have begun as German gray and the normal Soviet armor green (varies like OD green). White wash would have been applied once snow started to fall, mud would have been smeared on early. I am unsure if the Germans started using any type of "standard" camouflage pattern this early.

The terrain would have been the eastern European plains. Very remote farmlands and some wooded areas.

Sabot is probably right... The Germans learned to smear on mud pretty quickly, especially in the Southern sector, as their PanzerGrau tended to stand out . Sometimes they put it all over the vehicles, sometimes just in blotches or stripes...

As far as winter camouflage goes, almost everything white seems to do. Just as with the clothing, the Germans were ill prepared, and there simply was not enough camouflage... I have seen a pictures, in the Panzer Colors series, of a Panzer Grau Sd.Kfz. 10/4 with white (table)cloths and bedsheets draped over them, vehicles with snow packed on them as camouflage, vehicles with chalk lines, vehicles with white stripes [both vertical and diagonal, and in short irregular pattern, both narrow and wide], a mud raster pattern (though this one was from a tank in Libya), etc. etc. Many of those covered both in white and mud, seem to have had the vehicle number and (tactical) markings masked over, or roughly painted around them, so you get a fieldgrey square or rectangle or circle with the number or marking on it.

As stated in the book: The look of the camouflage pattern was largely dependent on both the available materials, and the artistic talents of the crew.

YodaMan:
Operation Barbarosa was the name given by the German to the campaign against the Soviet Union. As it was said, the Germans thought they will defeat the Rusians before the end of that year (1941), but the delay in the start of the invasion (one of the major blunders of the Germans in ths operation) caused by the extension of the operations against Yugoslavia and Crete made that they couldnīt reach their final objectives before the start of the winter and they came to a halt just in front of Moscow.
Operation Barbarosa itself was the name ofe the campaign between the 22nd of june and the end of September, then on 30 September the reinforced Army Group Centre launched its decisive attack against Moscow -Operation Typhoon- whith its northern flanking army, and followed this on 2 October with the mass of its forces.
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 05:27 AM UTC
OK, I'm in for this group build. I'll be doing a Russian Zis-30, basically the Komsomolets tractor with a 57mm AT gun mounted on top. A beast as homely as the plastic it was molded out of.

Mika
mrs_selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 05:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is a sight that will give you some help with the interior since so much of it is visible through the open turret: http://www.kithobbyist.com/AFVInteriors/222/222a.html.

Thanks for the info. Am at the site now. If I do OOB, depending on what's included in the kit, it may have detailing in the interior.. or not. Maybe I just make it look like it just rolled out of a mud bank. hehehehehehehe This is my first armor build, so its not going to look anywhere near as good as everyone else's.. but it should be bunches of fun.

Thor64
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 08:06 PM UTC
I will be building a KV-1. I'm working on a couple of models now for practice since it's been a while and I have a new airbrush to figure out before the KV-1 is started. I'm looking forward to the build and hope I'm not to embarrassed to post my results.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 02:14 AM UTC
Never be embarrassed to post your works. Most of us are not master builders, we just build for fun. Just like belonging to a good modeling club, we are all just friends and try to help one another.
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 501 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 03:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, I'm definitely in! I've decided on the following:

1/35 tam35051 SdKfz 222 Leichter Panzerspahwagen

Will be ordering the kit in a few days so should be here in plenty of time for the start build.

Hey me too. This will be my first try with photoetch though! Just looking at the AFV Interiors and the Eduard set I already see alot of decrepencies. First off they give you and intrument panel but no drivers seat, wheel, brakes or anything is provide in either kit! Oh well. I was going cheap for this build (the 222 is about $19) but then I spent $35 on the Eduard set! Well it worked out fair my wife got a perm out of the deal :-)
BTW does anyone know if the Germans put stowage on their vehicles this early in the war? I read in a post somewhere that when advanceing they had kit on 'causethey were ahead of their supplies and when in retreat they didn't because they were going through their supply lines. What would a 222 in a recce role have for extra kit on it? What acutal units were involed in Barbarossa (ie. Wherchmart, SS ?) Thanks.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 01:05 AM UTC
As the two campaigns Im in are finishing mid-June, the figure and cold war campaigns, I will join in now too. I think Im going for a dio for this one!
I have the Sd.Kfz 222 and the Sd.Kfz 223 from Tamiya. Maybe, I might throw in the field kitchen as well!
I have 3 vehicles that could pull this, at home... which would be the most suitable?
1) Krupp protze (older tamiya model)
2) S.GL. Einheits Personen Kraftwagen Horch 4x4 (older tamiya model)
3) Opel Blitz 3 ton Type S (Italeri Model)
Have just read all the posts, but it doesnt mention the blitz anywhere. I think, both the other two would work.
I thought i would skip the next few campaigns, to finish up other stuff that has been laying around for a while, but this is just too tempting!
Good luck folks!
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 501 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 03:06 PM UTC
Geez is anyone NOT doing a 222? :-)
Zed
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 03:27 PM UTC
Not doing a 222. Infact, I will probably do a GD Sdkfz 250 seeing as I have one lying around. Just have to get the PE set for it. Actually, I joined this campaign by mistake but thought, "what the heck! I have nothing better to do." Did anyone else wonder what that join button does and innocently push it?
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 09:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not only I will build a 222 also a Panther Ib and place them together in a base with ground work.
Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 718 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not only I will build a 222 also a Panther Ib and place them together in a base with ground work.

Hello Capt CSCH,
I may have missed something but isn't the Panther outside of the timeline for this build?

Cheers
Tankleader
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 10:00 AM UTC
PANZER 1b (++)
steve203
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 11:22 AM UTC
I know you are tired of these, but would the SU-85 fit this period? I already have the kit, but it might not fit the period.
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 11:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know you are tired of these, but would the SU-85 fit this period? I already have the kit, but it might not fit the period.

Steve, Adam Vukich, our resident Soviet/German expert for this build said that any SU was inappropriate for the campaign. Incidently, his posts #28 and #29 in this thread list the German and Russian vehicles respectively.

I set my preferences to receive 30 posts per page, so for me these are on page one.
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hello Capt CSCH,
I may have missed something but isn't the Panther outside of the timeline for this build?

Cheers
Tankleader

Hehehehe.
Someone pays atention in my posts #:-)
Your wright, it was a lapsus

Itīs not a Panther Ib (also this number didnīt exist for the Panther) itīs a Panzer Ib from Italeri. :-)
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 10:34 AM UTC
So this starts June 22,2203 Correct
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 11:05 AM UTC
As I understand, the Opel Blitz was used throughout the war and would be appropriate subject matter for this campaign, correct? I hope so, since that's what I bought at the model show to build. AND IT'S NOT A 222 ! :-)
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 11:54 AM UTC
Yes the Opel Blitz was used throughout the war and would be appropriate.
Sabot
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 12:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So this starts June 22,2203 Correct

No, it starts in three weeks. 200 years from now would be too long to wait.
Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 05:33 PM UTC
I and my wife are doing twin 222's #:-)
I also have a Panzer 38(t) in the box., can it be part of the build? Or is it out of the timeline?

(++) (++)
Can't wait!