Armor/AFV: Group Builds
Build a model with your online buddies!
Hosted by Darren Baker
Operation Barbarossa Group Build
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 11:58 PM UTC
OK, it took me some time to find the thread where the idea started: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/6647&page=1

We didn't really post anything "official" on it yet since it is several months away. Here is an early post regarding "rules".

Quoted Text

I'd just do an OOB Armor, modified Armor, OOB "Other", modified "Other"

"Other" being a wheeled vehicle (armored car, truck, half-track, animal pulled wagon, dude on horse).
"Armor" being a light, medium, or heavy tank, fully tracked SP gun like a StuG, recovery vehicle on former tank chassis, AAA gun on a tank chassis, dude on a horse on a tank chassis, whatever on a tank chassis. Now the RSO would end up being forced into the "Other" categtory.
If on a diorama, then it would be in one of the four main categories based on what was done to the model and not the dio base (hey, it isn't the diorama campaign build).

"K.I.S.S.=Keep It Simple Stupid" are words to live by. Only reason I would break out armor from other are the plethora of miscellaneous wheeled and semi-tracked vehicles that have a wide variety of duties. I mention dude on horse since I saw an DML set with a German soldier on a horse and thought it would be a cool model, if only I could paint a horse.

Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 01:30 AM UTC
Here's some info on when the group build will start:

Like the actual invasion, this group build will start during the summer solstice, which, as you should know, is the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. The actual invasion began 22 June 1941, the solstice this year is 21 June 2003. Close enough for me.

Operation Barbarossa was the initial invasion by the German Army into the Soviet Union. For the group build's sake, the "official" dates will be June 1941 to December 1941, since this was the proposed "end" of the operation when Russia would fall to Germany. They had planned on conquering the USSR prior to the start of the notorious Russian winter (21 December is normally the first day of winter).

Vehicles in use during this period and in theater are acceptable. If you can find historical data supporting your use of a piece of equipment, that's OK by me. Categories are listed above.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 02:04 AM UTC
Count me in on this, Rob. Starts on June 21? I've already made a note on my calendar.
Sounds like fun.....
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 04:14 AM UTC
So, it's OOTB, right? Not even a replacement gun tube?

Anyway, count me in. I have a Tauchpanzer III I think will be good for this build...

avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 04:26 AM UTC
Dave--How on earth are you going to have time for this with all of the other builds that you have planned? The only one of your planned builds that fits is the KV-2.

I would join in, but I have too many planned builds (T-35, Hornisse, KV-2, Elefant, T-34/85, & Ferdinand) that I won't have time. I would do the KV-2 for the build, but it won't be OOB. I am using Modelkasten tracks, an Armo barrel, Eduard PE, and Eduard fenders.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 04:27 AM UTC
If it's OOB I can probably build my DML SdKfz 250/10 Alte Basically the 250 series halftrack with a 37mm gun I think that was used during the time period If I can do one with AM stuff it'll be the Zvezda Panzerjaeger 1
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 04:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave--How on earth are you going to have time for this with all of the other builds that you have planned? The only one of your planned builds that fits is the KV-2.

I would join in, but I have too many planned builds (T-35, Hornisse, KV-2, Elefant, T-34/85, & Ferdinand) that I won't have time. I would do the KV-2 for the build, but it won't be OOB. I am using Modelkasten tracks, an Armo barrel, Eduard PE, and Eduard fenders.

Hehe, Adam, I am a fast shooter, as our mutual friend Sushi had said.... and I have 4 hours every night for building...

Remember that I am the one churn out 13 models in 8 months...
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 06:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So, it's OOTB, right? Not even a replacement gun tube?

Anyway, count me in. I have a Tauchpanzer III I think will be good for this build...

No, incorrect. There will be four (4) categories:
1. Out of Box Armor
2. Modified Armor (add what you want to an armor kit)
3. Out of Box "Other"
4. Modified "Other" (add what you want to any other kit)

See first post in this thread for definitions for "armor" and "other". I think it will be neat to see a wide variety of light German, Russian, Chech, Polish (they did use this captured stuff during Barbarossa?) tanks. Change from the mass of Shermans and Tigers that people usually build. Plus I feel everyone needs to experience the joy and pain of building an Eastern European model kit with teeny tiny single link tracks.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 08:30 AM UTC
Sounds like fun !! Now if I can finish my project in time you can count my 38 t in this build!!
Will sure be a change from dark yellow and OD !!

Richard
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:31 AM UTC
That's going to be fun !
I don't have the slightest idea of what I'll be building... but I'll sure be building it !
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 11:12 AM UTC
Since I'm not very familiar with Barbarrosa, where can I find out what types of vehicles were used during that operation?
moville
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 12:11 PM UTC
I'm in....I'm not sure what I'm going to build yet, something German and Grey. Will there be any reminder posts as this is a really long time to go!?

Andy
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 02:44 PM UTC
Count me in too! Early stuff, this should be fun.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 02:59 PM UTC
Would it be too much if I ask for a list of Barbarossa vehicle kits available out there?
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 501 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 03:48 PM UTC
Sounds cool I'm in for the OOB armour. Hey, I may even be home for that. #:-) #:-)
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 06:55 AM UTC
What happened to the rest of the posts in here?? We were up to 6 pages yesterday?

Richard
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 07:10 AM UTC
The outage caused the last 5 days worth of posts to disappear. There is a post regarding this called "What the....????" in the Site Talk forum.
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 03:52 PM UTC
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 11:30 PM UTC
Count me in also.
So Kv 1's are good how about kv2's . And what T/34 is in 1941 would model 1942 surfice?

Any campaign ribbons for this thing?
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 05:28 AM UTC
It is a shame that we lost those 5 days because I had put together an entire list of all of the acceptable AFVs for both sides and there was some softskin info. provided by others as well. I will go about redoing that list and posting it later today or tomorrow. In the meantime:

Jeff--KV-2 is fine. T-34 would have to be 1940 or 1941 version of which no plastic kits exist. You would have to use the Armo conversion stuff. The 1942 version is named 1942 because that is when it entered into production. That is true of all Soviet stuff so the model year is the year they began producing it.
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 05:31 AM UTC
I'm in... got a bunch of kits ( T-26, OT-26, BA-20's, BT-5, Pz I, Pz II, etc) that I'm eager to get to... decisions, desisions, decisions.... #:-)
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is a shame that we lost those 5 days because I had put together an entire list of all of the acceptable AFVs for both sides and there was some softskin info. provided by others as well. I will go about redoing that list and posting it later today or tomorrow. In the meantime:

Jeff--KV-2 is fine. T-34 would have to be 1940 or 1941 version of which no plastic kits exist. You would have to use the Armo conversion stuff. The 1942 version is named 1942 because that is when it entered into production. That is true of all Soviet stuff so the model year is the year they began producing it.

Hi Adam, yes I know it's to bad. Maybe I'll repost the one's I put up too.
However I need to repost my question - Are the armor & softskins to be used only allowed in a particular time- frame of Op.Barbarossa or can we start with 1941 to the end of the war ? ............ say like Kursk in 1943 ?

- ralph
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 06:25 AM UTC
Ralph--The parameters of the build are any vehicles that would have been used during Operation Barbarossa which we are defining as June 1941 through December 1941. So any German or Soviet stuff from within that time period.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ralph--The parameters of the build are any vehicles that would have been used during Operation Barbarossa which we are defining as June 1941 through December 1941. So any German or Soviet stuff from within that time period.

OK Adam .........THANKS. ........... I just wanted to be sure. Then like I said in the "lost pages", I will be building either Zvezda's Panzerjager I ( 4.7cm PaK auf Pz Kpfw I Ausf B ) or Tamiya's Sd Kfz 222 le.Pz.spahwagen. Unless anyone know's where I can find StuG Ausf B ? I thought DML made one but I can't find any. It would have to be an Ausf B. I don't want any other ausfuhrung. ......................THANKS AGAIN ADAM.

- ralph
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Adam I was hoping that Rob would not realize that :-) Oh well A for trying.
I am in heck have a bunch of them babies sitting around
Also did not Tamiya do a 1940 version back when? I have a couple with the big one piece hatch.

Adam nice job on that T-38 and Panzer II's.
 _GOTOTOP