Operation Barbarossa Group Build
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2003 - 09:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A partially started kit will be OK. Don't be showing off a fully completed kit a few days after the build begins. This group build is supposed to be for fun, honor system goes here. Most builders who do any WW2 armor probably has a kit on the shelf that fits the bill OOB. Think of this group build as a motivator to get that kit out of the box and onto the shelf (built, that is). I don't want anyone to feel bad because the only kit they had or could afford is the old Tamiya PzKfw II straight out the box (for example). It's also far enough into the future that you super-detailers can hunt down every conceiveable aftermarket item for the kit and put us all to shame.

As far as OOB/not OOB, again use the honor system and common sense. Replaced the exhaust with a Moskit one, a gun tube with an aluminum one, or aftermarket tracks, not OOB. Added stretched sprue antenna or masking tape strap to a rucksack that is included in the kit so you don't have "prostitute stowage", that's OK.

Goosh you mean that all my KvI's will just have to sit there looking at me

now regards to size what and how big plus how many people are we allowed to include?
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2003 - 02:39 PM UTC
I have one more question, sorry. Say if I am making a dio (is a dio allowed?)

It involves two tank, one that was previously built, but one I will start on June 21, is this okay? Thanks!
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2003 - 04:04 PM UTC
I will be in on this also. Any thoughts on consolidating all of this into one post that includes the start date, end date and a list of people participating?.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have one more question, sorry. Say if I am making a dio (is a dio allowed?)

It involves two tank, one that was previously built, but one I will start on June 21, is this okay? Thanks!

GOOD QUESTION DAVE ! I see no reason why it shouldn't be allowed. I also would rather put mine into a diorama. WHAT'S THE VERDICT HERE ?

- ralph
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:17 AM UTC
Hi guy's ............ I would like to publicly thank Ron Craig ( PIPESMOKER ).
Ron, has gone " Over & Beyond " the call of modeling in the communtiy. Though we live great distances apart here in America, Ron, has unselfishly found and purchased the rare StuG Ausf B for me by putting up the money out of his own pocket until I send him mine. He found the StuG at a model show he attended over the weekend. Thanks to him I will now be able to build what I oringinally intended. THANKS RON !

I also have to give a big THANK YOU to Dave Tong ( SS-74 ) too. ....Dave also offered his generous assistance to me. It wasn't neccessary however as reason's mentioned above. ....
............THANKS DAVE !

BOTH RON & DAVE HAVE SHOWED TRUE FRIENDSHIP AND GOODWILL AMONG MODELER'S - THEY ARE WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT !
.............. They are to be Commended !

m:-)

- ralph
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 08:20 AM UTC
I'd like to put in my vote for allowing dio's in the group build, just keeps adding to the fun....
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 09:10 AM UTC
To answer the question regarding the use of dios, please read the bold text in the very first post.
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 193 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 09:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Chief--I'm afraid that the Opel Maultier halftrack isn't correct for this build. I was looking up this particular vehicle because I had that suspision and they didn't start making the halftrack until 1942 and didn't mount the AA piece until even later. Sorry.

OH SURE! BURST MY BUBBLE! The only armor I got is post 42' then. Well maybe next time. Hey anybody wanna do an F4F Wildcat build?????
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 09:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OH SURE! BURST MY BUBBLE! The only armor I got is post 42' then. Well maybe next time. Hey anybody wanna do an F4F Wildcat build?????

Hey Chief, don't abandon the ship yet. We have till the Summer to pick out a model. I just put an order the other day for a Tamiya KV-1B and some aftermarket doo-daads. Just look over the list that Adam posted up and pick something.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 10:46 AM UTC
WOW! Talking about the devil......

I just got the KV-1 in the mail. Its one of the very vintage Tamiya kits, and it shows. Motorization holes, aweful rubber-band tracks, lack of detail on the wheels. The armored turret looks like a newer issue and it actually looks pretty good. Anyway, I got me aftermarket tracks from Modelkasten. They are the working kinda and even include a more detailed sprocket. I also got resin wheels from VLS, but they have not arrived yet. Sure hope Summer rolls around pretty soon........

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 12:12 PM UTC
I may do a superdetailed Kettenkrad unless i get inspired to do something else before then. I think that if a dio is included, it has to all be built under the June 21st deadline.

Andrew

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 02:35 PM UTC
I understand dio must be built from June 21, but if there are two tanks, and one is previously built, is this okay?
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 193 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 05:23 PM UTC
Hey Chief, don't abandon the ship yet. We have till the Summer to pick out a model. I just put an order the other day for a Tamiya KV-1B and some aftermarket doo-daads. Just look over the list that Adam posted up and pick something.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC[/quote]

I am not abandoning the ship, it's just the fact that the 20 kits I brought over to Sicily are the ones I am planning to build (at least attempt anyway) over the 3-4 years I'll be here. The size of the house and the fact I'll have to transport them back is the reason I do not want to buy any more. Also I have to buy everything through the mail is a pain in the butt too. No more running down the street to Hobby Lobby or Hobby Town USA. So I'll just suffer through building what I brought over here while I smoke my Cuban Cigar and drink really good Sicilian wine at $1.00 per litre. HeHe!LOL :-) #:-)
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 12:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC

I am not abandoning the ship, it's just the fact that the 20 kits I brought over to Sicily are the ones I am planning to build (at least attempt anyway) over the 3-4 years I'll be here. The size of the house and the fact I'll have to transport them back is the reason I do not want to buy any more. Also I have to buy everything through the mail is a pain in the butt too. No more running down the street to Hobby Lobby or Hobby Town USA. So I'll just suffer through building what I brought over here while I smoke my Cuban Cigar and drink really good Sicilian wine at $1.00 per litre. HeHe!LOL :-) #:-) [/quote]

What's Happening Chief? Long time no see watch out for that Italian Mafia
Wonder if they control the wine making. Have a bunch of Family living there. One really nice Italian women my brothers wife's sister moved back their nice piece if you know what I mean wouldn't of mined giving her an around the world
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I understand dio must be built from June 21, but if there are two tanks, and one is previously built, is this okay?

Yes, but only the one built during the group build is considered in the running. It will be entered as one of the four basic categories of armor OOB, armor modifed, other OOB, other modifed.

A diorama is fine as is a plain base or tank sitting on your table top. We are judging the vehicle and not the diorama.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 01:46 AM UTC
Cool!!
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 09:25 AM UTC
Well, I got in on the tail end, but count me in, too.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 06:35 PM UTC
Another question:

Is there a limit to the number of entries? I was thinking of bringing two along. Or one entry per category only?
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 12:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

O.k. let's try this again :-):

Here are the acceptable German vehicles:
- Pz. I Ausf. A & B
- Panzerbehfleswagen I Ausf. A & B
- Pz. II Ausf. A - F
- Pz. III Ausf. A - J (J can only be the early one with short-barreled 50mm)
- Pz. IV Ausf. A - F1
- Tauchpanzer III
- StuG III Ausf. A - D
- Pz. 35(t)
- Pz. 38(t) Ausf. A - F
- Flammpanzer II
- Bison I
- Panzerjager I
- Sdkfz 221/222/223
- Sdkfz 251 Ausf. A - C
- Sdkfz 2 Kettenkrad
- Sdkfz 6
- Sdkfz 7 & 7/1
- Sdkfz 8
- Sdkfz 9 FAMO
- Sdkfz 10 Demag (not D7)
- Sdkfz 11
- Sdkfz 252
- Sdkfz 253
- Sdkfz 250 alte
- Sdkfz 231/232 8-rad
- Opel trucks
- Krupp Protze
- Horch
- Steyr 1500A
- Mercedes-Benz L 1500 A

BAD:
- any vehicle of Pz I - IV, Pz. 38(t), or StuG III whose Ausf. #'s don't fall in the above ranges
- Wespe
- Hornisse/Nashorn/Hummel
- Sturm-Infanteriegeschutz 33
- StuG IV
- Jagdpanzer (any)
- Brummbar
- Flakpanzer (any)
- Panther or Jagdpanther
- Tiger or Jagdtiger
- Elefant/Ferdinand
- King Tiger
- Sturmtiger
- Grille (any)
- Bison II
- Sdkfz 251 Ausf D or any vehicle based on that version (e.g. Kanonwagen)
- Sdkfz 231/232 6-rad
- Panzerwerfer 42
- Sdkfz 7/2
- sWS
- Sdkfz 250 Neu or any vehicle based on that version (e.g. Stummel)
- Hetzer
- any vehicle from another country converted to SPA, SPAA, TD

For more information please see: Achtung Panzer.

How about the BMW R-75 cycle
Adam could this be like an add-on or something?

Hello one more on the Russians what about the Stalin organ
Katyusha?
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another question:

Is there a limit to the number of entries? I was thinking of bringing two along. Or one entry per category only?

Not at all, remember this is a build for fun. Don't get wrapped around the axle with a whole bunch of rules and such. Re-read the posts, you guys are making this more complicated than it should be.
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 05:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello one more on the Russians what about the Stalin organ
Katyusha?

According to the Achtung Panzer website, the Soviets had been developing rockets since the 1920s. Here is a list:
-M8, 82mm
-M13, 132mm
-M30, 300mm
-M31, 300mm

The real question regarding our group build would be in which truck you would mount the rockets. The website lists as follow:
-BM-8-36 - ZiS-6 6x6 truck
-BM-8-48 - Studebacker 6x6 truck
-BM-8-24 - T-60 light tank
-BM-13-16 - various trucks and vehicles
-BM-31-12 - ZiS-6 / Studebacker truck

The Zis-6 was in production from 1934-41. The bicture below is of a Zis-6 BM-13 combo:

The Studebacker was a lend-lease form the U.S. and it didn't get shipped to the Soviets until 1942.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 05:40 AM UTC
Also, according to the website where I got the picture, and I quote: "Originally this system [Katyusha] was based on standard Zis-5 but this experience wasn't
successful."

Zvezda, Italeri and Eastern Express all have a Zis-5 in 1/35.
Alan has a Zis-6 BM-13 in 1/35.
AeroPlast has the BM-8-24 mounted on a Tankette.

Here is a an article on how to build a Zis-5 with the rocket launcher:
Zil Rocket Launcher

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 04:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am thinking the kit is mislabeled then, the kit matches the image shown, which clearly states it is the earlier variant. I think the kit actually represents the earlier variant. Do you know what differences there are between the DII 3 and the D7? Perhaps it might only mean a little conversion?

Rob

Hi Rob, I don't know much about the difference's that's these 2 vehicles had between each other, but as far as exterior feature's, they were identical to each other in photo's showing both with the mounted FlaK30. Probably because the D II 3 was the predecessor to the D7.

- ralph
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 09:03 PM UTC
Thanks Sabot. I just wanted to make sure. I guess, if the rules don't say anything, then it's allowed. :-)

Will be joining (hopefully) the group build then. I can't wait to build my kit(s).
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 09:13 PM UTC
I'm in! I might do an Italeri BT-5 or T-26. With a compatriot around it'll not be that difficult to keep myself focused until the build officially starts