Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
German WWII railway depot dio part I
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
KitMaker: 952 posts
Armorama: 834 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 12:03 PM UTC
Just small update for tonight

Cheers
Libor
mzaborsk
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 01:41 PM UTC
Great model...How about more information on your red brick walls.... grey primer how did you apply the red .... dry brush? and not cover the grey joints... keep up the great work... !!!!

Michael
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 11:05 PM UTC
Thank you Michael, I painted the walls first with shades of red acrylics, then I applied mixture of Mig´s grey fading pigment and spirit over it. Once dried, I washed down the excess and added a few various dark washes. That worked pretty well. I think there is more about it a few pages back in the topic or at my website
Cheers
Libor
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 06:29 AM UTC
I started painting of coal supply driveway, more will be done soon, and ruined building is set on the base.

Cheers
Libor
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 12:19 AM UTC
Plaster layout added last night and now I will start painting once again. In between I will also begin my ballast job on this part.

Cheers
Libor
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 08:51 AM UTC
Some work done, the ground is partly painted and ballast glued, ready for weathering. I will add some chipping here and there on the driveway, just like at the front of the ruined building, where I will just finish its appearance with pigments and a few bunches of grass. After that I´ll keep going to the right with the ground work.

And this is almost whole dio in its 240 cm length.

Cheers
Libor
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 08:57 AM UTC
Finally seeing it all in it's entirety brought a smile to my face. It's really spectacular watching something this complex go from start to finish.
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 01:08 PM UTC
Thank you Sean, nearly there
Cheers
Libor
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 11:26 PM UTC
Plaster applied on the rest of the area. I will add some chipping, scatter and grass. Also the water crane will take its place. Weathering of the rails almost finished, I just want to apply some dust here and there and on the ballast as well. Bare metal on the top is brought out very lightly, mainly on the inner edges of the rails.

Cheers
Libor
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 12:47 AM UTC
Grass base added once again, I will add just a few bunches of various grass partly and maybe some bush. Another nice touch I want to put behind the water crane, so far a wooden bucket made, the rest will show up soon. Also drain cover made up, both things to be painted. Concrete base for the water crane set up, and now I will harmonize the whole base appearance, and the extended ramp with road behind it will be finished at the end.

Cheers
Libor
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 - 10:51 AM UTC
Bucket painted, I just need to sand it lightly and finish weathering. And the bucket will be lying on a cart, which I have built and painted tonight. I will use again my favorit hair spray technique to bring out the wood texture, and weathering then. Also metal parts are to be painted. This kit is simple and cheap one from Masterbox, but it has very nice details, especially I love its wheels.

Cheers
Libor
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 10:15 PM UTC
I finished base of the water crane and ground work around it, waiting for the oils used on the cart to get dried. Now I can finish this one as well, and then I will continue on weathering of whole dio from coal supply to the right.

I am not sure when my next update comes, so maybe its the right time to wish to everyone Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Cheers
Libor
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Armorama: 777 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 10:33 PM UTC
So then, happy cristmas and happy new year to you too!
Quite a big bit of progress here -are the elements at their definitive place? This really begins to take shape..
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 02:06 AM UTC
Hi JBA, thanks mate. I think I will leave the base like this, just many more things will be added one by one, vegicles, figures etc. I have just finished the place behind the water crane, and the extended ramp is the last larger place to do. Some pictures soon.
I have also seen that a discussion has been started here in other topic, if the rail joints I used in my dio are right or not. This is the most common way shown in my reference pictures from WWII era in Germany. I have seen also different joints, where the rails are staggered, or joint on single tie or even in the slot, but the way I used seems to be the most common one.

Cheers
Libor
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 02:45 AM UTC
I guess there is no standard world wide. As I browse through the last few years of things I have learned here, I find that most counties and rail roads have there own way of doing what ever works for them. Never took the time to check rail connectors in Canada or Mexico when I was there and noticed that here in the U.S. they are staggered. So your news is news to me, Learned something new today, ( and I thought I'd make it through the day unmolested model wise). Any way, It seems that either way would be correct for a French rail connectors? Don't want to rip it up after the glue sets, don't have any 1/35th construction gear available for this one.
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 04:22 AM UTC
I guess that French rails were similar to this, having some pictures from Italy and Spain, they show the same way.
Libor
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 12:35 AM UTC
Well, another update this year
Finished and weathered whole thing from left side to the warehouse, and the cart as well. The pictures are not very good, but once the dio is finished, I will get nice ones.

Cheers
Libor
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 10:51 PM UTC
Grass base applied on the extended ramp will be again reworked to the final appearance with driveway in the middle, and the road from the opposite side is about to be painted and finished as well. Whole dio is finished and weathered from the left to the warehouse.

Cheers
Libor
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 02:47 AM UTC
I have a couple of more adds built together, I will show them soon. I did also basic painting on the road behind the warehouse, its still wet on the pictures here, and I will do more on it, when dried. The extended ramp is partly finished, but pictures not taken yet.

Cheers
Libor
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 02:45 AM UTC
Just before finish, everything is dry, so I have set up some adds on the ramp, kinda dry fit check. Now, almost all that stuff has to be painted, weathered and finished

Cheers
Libor
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:12 AM UTC
Here small update in the middle of work, the most things painted, and I am gonna weather them and add some finish touch. This as actually nothing to be proud of, just some stuff to get some variations and mess around

The howitzer, one of my very first builds, will be hidden under net (I think thats very clever idea) and put on the flat car.

Cheers
Libor
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 05:19 AM UTC
Very promising pictures! They are very nice!
An artillery-piece (or 2) on a railcar was also one of my (many) ideas.

greetings...
Soeren
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 07:33 AM UTC
Thank you Soeren, this is gonna be one of the last updates for longer time (until I finish my BR 86 build at least) then I will add some other stuff in here, figures, another vehicle or two etc. But before that, there are still some things to be done and more pictures to be taken
But definitely last one for this year, work finished today, all the things set on the ramp. In my next steps I will add some rust on metal angles around the ramp, lamp on the warehouse and finish the electric supply wiring.Also the weathering around here has to be tuned up.

Cheers
Libor
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 04:53 AM UTC
A lamp added on the warehouse, and some other details, the ramp is finished and weathered, now I will put on wires and set up the train, I will also fix missed little things, if I find some. Then I will take some final pictures and return back to my BR 86 loco build and another exciting project.

Cheers
Libor
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Armorama: 777 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 05:25 AM UTC
It looks good and pretty colourful as well! I really like the small car -keep on that way!