_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Another SF GMV
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 530 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 - 09:59 AM UTC
Evening Folks

I know I've already built one GMV but I picked up the Tamiya M1025 and another one seemed like a good idea. I considered using either the Legends or Pro Art conversions, but the build isn't that complex so I decided to scratch the majority of the parts and use some Blast models parts for the difficult parts.

So far I've used the Tamiya M1025 with
Blast OIF weapons ring
Blast weighted humvee wheels
Pro Art Sincgars set
AFV club Stryker equipment set
Legends + Real Models stowage
Trumpeter M4s, Dragon Sniper rifles
Legends Humvee driver and vehicle crew 2 + 3

I used Robert Skippers SF humvee CD (Thanks Rob!) and a few photos/walkarounds I found for the interior details. The plan is to have the crew members painted in UCP with the vehicle driving through an Afghan village. That plan however will have to wait till after my uni exams, so heres the progress so far. No in progress shots as I forgot to take them.

Still deciding which of these sniper rifles to use. What do you guys think?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions/criticisms you guys can give me as this build is far from perfect.
Also if anyone is building a GMV feel free to post photos, maybe we can get another GMV thread going?

Anirudh
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 - 11:35 AM UTC
It's looking good, man. Check those photos for the interior armor down by the driver's and front passenger's feet.

35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 - 08:23 PM UTC
Looks great Anirudh.

The weathering is great, but the wheels look too black & clean.

Not sure what the different snipers rifles are but the lower one looks best.

The crew look a bit pale!
Whiskey_1
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 - 11:09 PM UTC
The GMV looks nice, really. Only (minor) gripe may be that the scratches are all even in depth. You may want to add some shallow (e.g. lighter) ones for variation.

As for the rifle, I think the M110 (or Mk11, which ever it is) would be best, with the M24 in second place.
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 12:57 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys.

@Rob I left the armour off until I test fitted the figures in case the legs interfered with the armour, but there seems to be enough space on both sides for the armour to fit. Do you know if the interior armour changes the appearance of the outside panels (extra/less bolt heads perhaps)?

@Sean I'm holding off weathering the wheels since I keep picking it up by the wheels and don't want to spoil the finish on them.
I'm still trying to work up the courage to paint the UCP on these guys. After my Abrams build I'd had enough, but I'll give these guys a go soon.

@Ben Thanks for the suggestion on the scratches, I'll add some lighter scratches as well. The rifle on the top is an SR-25 (which is based on the mk11, i think) but its pretty similar to the M110. I think I'll be using this one unless I can persuade myself to scratch a day/night scope for the M82.

All comment welcome

Anirudh
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Rob... Do you know if the interior armour changes the appearance of the outside panels (extra/less bolt heads perhaps)?

Anirudh

If you look in the DUMVEE file (which is actually the Commander's In Extremis Force version) you get a good view of the bolt heads and their positions on photos 96 and 97. Then look at photo 99 on the outside. I don't see any corresponding nuts. I think those panels bolt in possibly to threaded bungs welded in the frame. They might make a paper template to insure they get them in the right spot. (I'm building a bike from the ground up right now and I know how hard it is to align them sometimes) The door hinge plate in photo 99 only shows bolt heads on its exterior, so I think the answer to your question is no. Just add bolt heads on either side according to what you see and you'll be fine,

As for your weapons, use any or all of them. They look good, by the way.
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 11:15 AM UTC
Thanks Rob, It looks like I don't need to make any modifications to the outside which is a good thing.

Even though I can't work on the build for the next few weeks I can still look at some references however I have some questions:

Is that a MK47 mounted on this vehicle? What are the extra headlights for and does anyone have any other images of them?

Whats the object mounted coaxially with the M2 in the back? Why are the ammo boxes covered? (Protection against dust is my guess)

This guy has a pistol in an unusual holster. Is that normal practice?

Anyone other photos of the casing bag available? Would be a nice addition if its actually used.

Does the stretcher have a name/designation? Is it often carried or just when necessary?

6. Anyone have any experience with the Trumpeter pistol sets (m9, m1911, g18 etc)

phew...Lots of questions which I'm hoping some of you guys might be able to help with. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Anirudh
Whiskey_1
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 11:24 AM UTC
To answer Q3: look at the pic for Q1. The guy in the foreground is carrying a SIG Sauer in a quickdraw holster. That ain't no army standard equipment. Soldiers tend to customize their own equipment in terms of flashlights and the like. If some SF-dude is wearing a 1911, who is going to care...
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 12:19 PM UTC
1. That is a MK. 47 Striker GMG. The extra lights are IR drive lights with (I think) commercial covers mounted on them. See here:
http://www.usnightvision.com/BlackoutInfraredFiltersforMilitaryVehicles.aspx

2. That is a SUREFIRE Hellfighter weaponlight

3. The pistol holster is a private manufacture item. That is not military issue.

4. For the catch bag, look here:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/23-27/Ch3.htm
It isn't a photo but shows you some good line drawing detail.

5. Operationally, soldiers carry a stretcher on a vehicle within the group anytime there is an anticipation or risk of casualties. I do not know the nomenclature.

6. I'm not of any help here.
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 11:59 PM UTC
Thanks for the responses, they really cleared a few things up for me.

@Benjamin I can see what you mean about carrying non-standard equipment, a lot of my photos show a really odd mix of gear.

@Brent Thanks for identifying what the items are, I'm now quite tempted to scratchbuild the IR lights, Surefire light and the stretcher now.

I think I might invest in the Trumpeter M1911 just to see what they're like. I'll report back with a few photos when I get them.

thanks again guys

Anirudh
HazZaRd
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 288 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 03:25 AM UTC
about the Stretcher it looks like a "TALON 2" to me

Pic:

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 04:07 AM UTC
Anirudh,

"Thor" is a MARSOC (Marine Special Operations Command) vehicle. You've got a whole walkaround in your CD of that vehicle. Not to be confused with the Thor in the "Thor Odin Moki" file. Those are all SF HMMWVs. Funny how some names are jusright for things, like "Spot" for a dog.

Many SF units do use a Kimber M1911A1 so having someone use it is correct. We all choose whichever holster we find the most comfortable. And secure.

As for the Surefire Hellfighter, if you need exact measurements and close up photos, I can send them to you. I have one at home I'm using as the headlight for the Infidel Chopper.

I believe Nick (Angry Dog) might produce that stretcher soon.
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 08:56 AM UTC
Hey Rob

"Thor" is a pretty good name for a military vehicle - Implies something quite scary, if your enemies know norse mythology that is.

I received the CD only a couple of days before leaving for university so haven't had a proper chance to go through everything yet, but thanks for letting me know which vehicles are on there and who they belong too.

I'd really appreciate the photos and dimensions for the Surefire light, I PMed you my email address.

"Infidel Chopper" Sounds interesting. What is it?

I suppose SF soldiers are given a fair amount of leeway when it comes to your kit and sidearms, so I think I'll add a 1911 or two to the figures or inside the vehicle.

Thanks for identifying the stretcher Gijs, it'll be really useful when I start building it.

Where're the other GMV builds, I can't really be the only one building one, can I? Til next time guys!

Anirudh
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 10:07 AM UTC
Email sent. I may have to search my files for images with the handle still attached, as I removed it to mount the light to the bike.

The Infidel Chopper is the military bike Paul Teutel Jr. wishes he had built.
Flash bangs for hand grips, .50 cal charging handle assembly for suicide shifter, cut down 40mm grenade casings for fuel caps...The list goes on but you get the idea. Everything functional, no over the top nonsense.

When you have time to peruse your CD, you may want to be the first to attempt the MARSOC HMMWV. It's very similar to the SF GMV, (in fact, theirs is called a GMV as well) but with slightly different doors and turret armor.
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 10:21 AM UTC
Wow, the Infidel Chopper sounds awesome. You definitely have to post a few photos of this! Will it have IR lights?

I have to admit I've been really tempted to build a MARSOC vehicle since I saw a photo of "Thor".From what I can tell the majority of things are available as AM items and the rest seems simple enough to scratch. Might as well start collecting parts for that build now. You're not really helping my bank balance with these build suggestions.

Anirudh
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 10:31 AM UTC
the trumpeter pistol sets are pretty good. i have all of them, and are a great addition. They have 2 or 3 different holsters, as well as empty holsters, spare magazines, and pistols with the slides back.
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 10:36 AM UTC
Thanks Matt. Its good to know what the sets have in them. Definitely worth getting a set or two for some future projects.

I remember you were building a dumvee at some point. Any progress on it? Would love to see what your doing with it.

Anirudh
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 10:53 AM UTC
That MARSOC HMMWV wouldn't be much more than an exercise in cutting sheet styrene. The inner panels, like on the SF HMMWV, could be made from Evergreen corrugated metal, since you only see the inside surface anyway. I think the hardest part (easily concealed by a VS-17 panel or some kit) are those rubber tool mounts on the hood. Also, this particular version has an upgraded suspension which will be visible.
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 11:24 PM UTC
The rear compartment doesn't seem to be very difficult to build, pretty similar to what I've done so far. Also the Turret looks similar to Legends OGPK so I should be able to modify that to suit Thor. Your CD will pretty much fill in the blanks with that build.

The only issue I can foresee is the modified suspension, as well as lowering it so the vehicle sits correctly, but with some plastic rod and coiled wire this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Who knows, maybe I'll attempt that SEAL GMV with the MK47 next. Maybe I can have a whole convoy of GMVs going.

Anirudh
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 12:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Matt. Its good to know what the sets have in them. Definitely worth getting a set or two for some future projects.

I remember you were building a dumvee at some point. Any progress on it? Would love to see what your doing with it.

Anirudh

Hey mate, havent even started yet. going to get the cd from 18 bravo first, then make a start. I am around 3/4 of the way through a M1046 TOW hummer build.
F3066
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 01:04 AM UTC
sorry for jumpin in but where can one get robs CD on the above????????
oh and thats a nice gmv you got going on there too....
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Matt...

Anirudh

You may be referring to Matte Black.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/106059&ord=&page=1

JC, PM sent.
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 08:40 AM UTC
Fair enough Matt, hows the m1046 going then?

Thanks F3066, glad you like it. I would very much recommend Robs CD.

I have been using Matte Blacks builds as a reference for mine and they have been invaluable for a lot of the specific details. Im sorry to learn that he passed away. My condolences Rob. I think you said you were going to finish them, correct? How is that going?

Anirudh
reccymech
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 12:51 PM UTC
Nice work Anirudh, I'm currently doing the same model/concept, although not near the depth of work that you are into. I'm sticking to the basics:

Tamiya M1025 HUMVEE, and
Legends Special Forces GMV Conversion Set.

So I'll be looking on for a bit of inspiration, I trust you wont mind.

As a side note, Robert 18 Bravo, I've sent you a PM re: your CD on SF DUMVEE's.

Anirudharun
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 09:43 PM UTC
No problem Mark, Im really pleased this build will be helpful for you. Dumvees are a pretty unique subject with a lot of variation so there can never really be too many builds going on.

Also Im glad you think my build is in depth, but unlike my previous attempt the scratchbuilding on this one has been limited to the side panels in the rear and some minor interior details (missing bolt heads, wires, seatbelts etc.)

If you really want to see an indepth humvee build check out Angrydog's build . That is some excellent work.

Im not likely to have any updates until after my exams (end of june) but if you have any questions, or want some references just post em here.

Anirudh
 _GOTOTOP