Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Another 105mm
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 03:41 PM UTC
I have to agree with Nick here Jerry- the sense of movement you've managed to get into these latest too is awesome. It is updates like this that make this thread both educational and inspirational- you can see exactly how something like a tilted helmet along with the positioning of the arms can create a dynamic pose that conveys a sense of drama and movement to the viewer. Your careful choice of heads with expressions also add to this- thats a really important detail in conveying the story in a scene and now when I'm working with figures and replacement heads I'm thinking a lot about the expression on the face and how it will look with the figures pose- thats just one of the many things I've learned from your various pieces of work Jerry.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 07:39 PM UTC
Well,
Nick and Karl,you made my day. I feel a little vindicated that my new burst of mojo was liked by someone. I appreciate it guys. Nice to know I have influenced someone as well. I have certainly learned a lot from this website that's for sure. I still can't get over how cool and effective that fiberglass cleaning pen is for the final touches before painting a fig!!
And yes,getting a "nice job M8" from our old buddy was always a nice thing and looked forward to.
Let's see what I can get into next.
J
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 08:48 PM UTC
Hi Jerry, I’ll keep it short by agreeing with Karl who agrees with Nick … not boring and truly inspirational!

—mike
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 08:51 PM UTC
Thanks Mikey,
I can always count on you guys!!
J
stufer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 416 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 10:50 PM UTC
Jerry-
This is epic,many times ive looked through the Then and Now 'Rückmarsch' title and been inspired by much of the photos but you've actually got off your butt and put it into practice!! I'm taking note of all your figure work (both here and on other builds you've posted) as my own attempts at modifying figures needs a 'little' help...
Keep at it and keep on inspiring us lesser mortals,Good Work Fella!
Steve

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 07:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to agree with Nick here Jerry- the sense of movement you've managed to get into these latest too is awesome. It is updates like this that make this thread both educational and inspirational- you can see exactly how something like a tilted helmet along with the positioning of the arms can create a dynamic pose that conveys a sense of drama and movement to the viewer. Your careful choice of heads with expressions also add to this- thats a really important detail in conveying the story in a scene and now when I'm working with figures and replacement heads I'm thinking a lot about the expression on the face and how it will look with the figures pose- thats just one of the many things I've learned from your various pieces of work Jerry.

I 2nd/3rd that. Nice one J.

Al
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 07:53 PM UTC
Some real nice progress, always good to pop in to see what you've been up to. I also have to check out that magnifier lash up.

Kimmo
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 06:29 PM UTC
Steve,Al and Kimmo,
Thanks for checking in. Nice to see people still following this seemingly endless build.
You are very generous with your comments,thanks!
Al,I am still waiting for your next epic build saga to begin?
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 06:05 AM UTC
Jerry things are moving along really well here. I love the "movement" and the sence of urgency of these figures. They will complement the rest of the diorama nicely.

Here is a shot of the glasses that came in the post today:

Pretty sure I may have been grossly oversold a bill of goods here.... They look cool and all, but even with the lowest magnification installed the focal point is about a half an inch from my head! I'm not sure I'll be able to work with them.... but I will give them the old college try one day soon.

Anyway, keep up the good work, and don't spend the 15 dollars on the fancy glasses just yet....

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 06:22 PM UTC
Thanks for the heads up!!! I am very happy with my visor and it really is a joy to work with them as it makes it soooo much easier to see. I can now endure a lot longer time at the bench without getting head aches,etc. I am getting a lot of mojo back because of that!! I can't believe I was stubborn about getting a set for so long.
J
KevPak
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 06:38 PM UTC
Jerry -

Might have to get one myself - your dio is really shaping up since you got that visor! Just kidding - it's always looked excellent.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 04:06 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words Kev,
Here are some snaps of the most recent work. The problem with this new visor is now I can see every tiny defect and now spend about 5 times as long cleaning everything up!! I can only guess how long the painting will now take!!
I think it makes a difference though?
These guys are all in various stages of completion now.

The jumper has the most completion so far. I added the PE shoulder boards,chest eagle and belt buckle. Good old lead foil for the belt of course. Gunners usually wore only one set of ammo pouches and this will be the chief gunner(number one) so he has a gunners pouch as well.

I completely re-made my lead horse team rider and here is the rough mock up so far. This should be the last fig but there may be one more.I have to see how the end part goes.

Enjoy( or be physically ill,your choice),
J
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 05:03 AM UTC
Just got out from under my head-gear to see what you are up to … good stuff!

Jerry, You’re scaring the hell out of these guys whenever you approach with the magnifier! Shock and awe is written all over their faces and poses!

—mike
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 09:33 PM UTC
Thanks Mike,
That is the usual reaction when people see me face to face!

Things look a bit better when the primer is applied. The pics are arranged most finished to least finished.

Wow,that primer really shows off the boo boos. Lots of work left here.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 02:51 AM UTC
I really like this optivisor!!! Have I said that already? This guy would have taken me much longer to paint in the past.

callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 12:28 PM UTC
i might need to get an optivisor if these are the results:)
Looking good as always.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 07:45 PM UTC
Thanks as always Paul!
J
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 08:46 PM UTC
Hey Jerry,

Its been a while since I posted since I have been on convalescent leave after having my neck fused. It was good to see the progress you have made with these last several figures. They are turning out quite nice with your posing and the addition of the Hornet heads with the appropriate facial expressions. From what kit did the left arm of the sitting guy come from? It is the one with the hand with the extended figures. I like the look of hands that have some space between the fingers.

Yeah, the use of the optivisor (or even magnifying lamps) really does help during the painting process now that our aging eyes are not seeing quite as well as they used to.

Cheers,
James
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:03 PM UTC
Thanks for checking in James and I pray for your continued healing in your neck. Perfect recovery awaits Sir!!
That hand and the one on the scrambling guy bot got cut from arms that came in the old old Tamiya set that includes two tankers(german) loading rounds onto a tank.
There are also some hands sort of like that in some of the resin hand sets from Hornet. Maybe also in the Alpine stuff as well.
J
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2015 - 04:15 PM UTC
Excellent work mr.Rutman sir...

Maybe I did miss something (happens rather frequently lately) but you are showing troops scrambling in panic, suggesting an imminent/ongoing attack, whilst the mourning trooper and casualties suggest one that just passed....
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2015 - 06:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent work mr.Rutman sir...

Maybe I did miss something (happens rather frequently lately) but you are showing troops scrambling in panic, suggesting an imminent/ongoing attack, whilst the mourning trooper and casualties suggest one that just passed....

You got it right Ron!!! I am dealing with trying to show the "feeling" of what went on in the Falaise Cauldron but I have to do it in a very small space.
So there will be a few scenes in between scenes. The aftermath of Jabo attacks and arty attacks plus the"next" attack.
From all that I have read about this bit of history and how crowded it was in the pocket my scene here is well within the elm of possibility.
J
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2015 - 07:31 PM UTC
Since you are so fond of figures why not add one that is about to warn the mourning fellow that a second strafe is on its way? Would tie it all together.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2015 - 08:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Since you are so fond of figures why not add one that is about to warn the mourning fellow that a second strafe is on its way? Would tie it all together.

Curse you Ron!!!! That is a great idea and now I will have to do it. And...that means another figure to be totally converted. But..what the hey. It's been over 4 years of work,what's another few days?? LOL
Maybe a lost/wounded/both Fallschirmspringer? The troops in this pocket were thoroughly mixed together so...possible?
J
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 02:50 AM UTC
Good idea Ron! We'll just make Jerry keep going and going. I personally would love to see a FJ make an appearance here.

-Conor
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 08:29 AM UTC
Just look at it this way … your really getting your money’s worth out of that new Optivisor!

Seriously though … IMHO … that is a brilliant suggestion from Ron! And as Conor says ... keep going!

—mike