Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Tamiya T-55A with CMK resin interior kit
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:14:36 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:14:47 (GMT).
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 06:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This might be a date of manufacture thing, ie T-55's made after a certain date had this finish on the turret, or it could be related to location of manufacture, ie at which factory it was made, not sure, would love more info on this if anyone knows anything.

:)

Yes, me too I think exactly so. T-62 was a development of T-54/55 and both tanks had lot of common parts. Most likeley they were often built in the same factories and turrets were made using the same technologies.

Anyway, looking at Polish T-55 pics, it seems that they have the same iron texture depicted by the Tamiya kit

so, in my opinion your model is correct this way

cheers
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:15:05 (GMT).
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 05:01 PM UTC
Stellar build!

I'm thinking the place of manufacture has a lot to do with it. These massive cast pieces are awfully rough sometimes, and require a lot of finish grinding. Not to mention the precise machining required in some areas.

I'd bet the different factories used different material for casting, hence differenr finishing techniques.

Just an opinion.

G

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 07:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yep, I think your right Spider, I think it's linked to T-62 production, for a guess once they started producing T-62's they started using the same finishing process on T-55 turrets that they were using on the new T-62's.

The Polish and the Czech versions dont seem to show this wave grinding finish, so only the Russian T-55's, and probably only after T-62 production had started.

It must be exactly so. Furthermore Polish and Czech had never had T-62 and T-55 versions were made under license in Poland and in Czechoslovakia (...and that's the reason why they were slightly different from Russian exemplars) . They weren't imported from Russia, so they couldn't have the Russian twchnological upgrades

Quoted Text

Stellar build!

I'm thinking the place of manufacture has a lot to do with it. These massive cast pieces are awfully rough sometimes, and require a lot of finish grinding. Not to mention the precise machining required in some areas.

I'd bet the different factories used different material for casting, hence differenr finishing techniques.

Just an opinion.

G

Yes,in my opinion, that's it. Russian tanks have always been sturdy, effective and quite rough, for sure more rough than the eastern armours. They have become to be more refined sophisticated and standardized only in the eighties. Before that time exemplars differences depended on different factories where they were made
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:17:02 (GMT).
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 10:01 AM UTC
Only just properly looked in on this build Matt, and I must says thats one hell of a model, absolutely stunning details. I really cannot wait to see some paint on it now.

By the way, where in East Anglia are you?
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 10:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yep, I think your right Spider, I think it's linked to T-62 production, for a guess once they started producing T-62's they started using the same finishing process on T-55 turrets that they were using on the new T-62's.

The Polish and the Czech versions dont seem to show this wave grinding finish, so only the Russian T-55's, and probably only after T-62 production had started.

It must be exactly so. Furthermore Polish and Czech had never had T-62 and T-55 versions were made under license in Poland and in Czechoslovakia (...and that's the reason why they were slightly different from Russian exemplars) . They weren't imported from Russia, so they couldn't have the Russian twchnological upgrades

Quoted Text

Stellar build!

Just an opinion.

G

Yes,in my opinion, that's it. Russian tanks have always been sturdy, effective and quite rough, for sure more rough than the eastern armours. They have become to be more refined sophisticated and standardized only in the eighties. Before that time exemplars differences depended on different factories where they were made

One thing does still confuse me though,

Why did the Poles carry on building there engine decks with a rear opening air box hatch ?, which it could be argued is a T-54 feature, the Czech's adopted the Russian side opening hatch, so it just seems strange that the Poles continued with the T-54 engine deck.

And if you upgrade a T-54 to a T-55, the front plate would still have Zig Zag interlocking welding, so in effect they were building full blown T-55's with the old engine deck, seems strange

Well, not so strange in my humble opinion. As we had told t-55 were built in Poland but lots of them were actually an upgrade of old T-54 hulls. We had a tread about:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/166379&page=2

Any progress Matt?

I really hope to see something new before I'll go to Finland

cheers
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:18:33 (GMT).
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 10:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yep, it's that T-54 to T-55 upgrade thing that is confusing me, if you took a T-54 and upgraded it to T-55, it would still have interlocking Zig Zag welds on the front plate for a guess, they wouldnt rip off the front plate just to upgrade to T-55, or would they ?

In terms of progress, I have gone backwards instead of forwards

Well, it depends on the version of the T-54 hulls which Polish had used for the upgrade. We say simply t-54 or t-55 but actually the nomenclature is more complex. Actually there were at least 4 versions of Polish T-54

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-54/55_operators_and_variants#Poland

T-54 upgraded were called T-55LD

I really hope to see soon your project finished. I wonder how it will look

Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:18:54 (GMT).
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 07:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So, why are they are calling it a Polish T-55LD

Well, I don't know Matt

In my opinion and as far as i know.....That it CAN'T BE a Polish T-55, that's absolutely a Czech T-55

T-55LD's were used for instance by Rhodesian army in the eighties

http://www.rhodesia.nl/quartz.htm

Nomenclature and recognition are really complex. Is right not to trust in anyone....neither in me

Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:19:13 (GMT).
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 02:09 PM UTC
If I can interrupt the ongoing discussion....

Early in the thread, you talk about how if you were to remove the front fenders, that some reshaping must be done. Can you explain that in some more detail? The tank I'm trying to model doesn't have the front fenders, but my photos are not super clear in this area.

Thanks, and I've been following along since the beginning. Fantastic work!
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 02:24 PM UTC
Well, I have a theory but I didn't find enough reference pics to prove it

First of all, according to the wiki variant list the first T-55 derived from the upgrade of a t-54 was the t-55 U:
http://www.orasoft.net.pl/~leszek.ch/museum/vt55u.html

As you can see, there are no Zig zag weld on the front plate

According to my theory (...or wold be better say my opinion) Polish t-54 didn't have the interlocking Zig Zag welds

In wikipedia page we can read about Polish versions:

Quoted Text

Poland

Polish-produced tanks often have different stowage arrangements. The arrangement includes a rectangular box mounted on the left side of the turret, a smaller square stowage box on the left side of the turret-rear, and a slightly different rear decking.
T-54AD - Polish T-54A command tank with additional radios and a radio range of 100 miles.
T-54AM - Polish and Czechoslovak production of the T-54B under license.
T-55U - Polish T-54 upgrade.
T-54 fitted with stand-off armour plates fitted to hull front and wire mesh screens around the turret to provide protection against ATGM.
T-55L - New-build polish versions of the T-55A.
T-55LD - Polish T-54 tanks rebuilt to T-55A standard. 200 T-54 tanks have been rebuilt in 1975....

In my opinion in that upgrade zig zag weld was removed

So I looked for polish t-54 pics and the few references which I found seems to confirm what I thought

There are no zig zag interlocking Zig Zag welds.

But anyway, this only one exemplar, so i don't have enough pics to support my opinion...I'll look for other references
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:19:35 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:20:04 (GMT).
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 04:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hope that helps a bit.

Awesome!

This is the tank I'm modeling actually, so funny you should link it. I'll see what I can come up with to make it look the part.
orpant
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 07:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I shall show you why I am getting fed up with all this T-55 nonsense -

Guys c'mon!!!
What you're trying to do, NATO "analysts" and "tank-spotters", tried many years ago, without any serious result. Soviets, did well in hiding the real identity and origin of their vehicles, just by doing everything they could, whenever they could. And even let their Warsaw Pact allies to do whatever they wanted with their tanks... Rivet counters have met their match regarding soviet tanks, long ago!!!

So just continue your beautiful build, enjoy it, and don't worry about, type, origin and how it looked, because, you will get confused in a cold-war era maze, that will get you nowhere, and miss all the fun!!!!
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 09:37 PM UTC
Vintage Polish army pics

Polish T-54.... without zig zag weld...

Quoted Text

It's my understanding that the T-54 Zig Zag interlocking weld feature was removed to simplify production (if anyone knows different, please speak up), therefore any T-54 that was upgraded to T-55 spec would retain this Zig Zag weld feature, because once it has been done, it's done, there would be no point going back and changing it.

So any T-54 to T-55 upgrade tanks, such as the T-55LD (according to Wiki) should have Zig Zag, but they dont.

What we need is a picture of a Polish T-54/55 with Zig Zag, but I cant find any

Yes, but we have to considere that also the T-54 were made by Polish under license. Another possibility would be that they didn't have that weld from the origin of the production...and of course also the derived T-55 couldn't have it

I apologize to the other forum's readers...actually this matter could be a little bit boring

cheers
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 11:29 PM UTC
...Polish T-55 U....with zig zag weld

Preserved at Czynu Zbrojnego Museum, Lipce Reymontowskie, Lodz, Poland

Matter has been getting puzzling
orpant
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2011 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I apologize to the other forum's readers...actually this matter could be a little bit boring
cheers

Nothing regarding the dogs of war, can be boring!!!
On the contrary, the infos are very interesting, in an encyclopedic level!!!
I was just trying to say, that if somebody, is trying to identify every little detail, he will get lost in the maze, and loose, all the fun part.

By the way, the second b/w photo, shows Soviet and polish tanks and crews, probably during a joint exercise ...
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:20:44 (GMT).
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2011 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...Polish T-55 U....with zig zag weld

Preserved at Czynu Zbrojnego Museum, Lipce Reymontowskie, Lodz, Poland

Matter has been getting puzzling

Fantastic pictures, at last we have a Polish tank with Zig Zag, so that gives us a starting point, we know that Wiki is right about the T-55U when it says - Polish T-54 Upgrade.

But Wiki also seems to be saying that the T-55LD was a T-54 upgrade, I am not convinced about that, I got a sneaky feeling the T-55LD was a new build hull and turret.

Looking around in the net I've found the solution

here
http://www.modellismopiu.it/modules/newbb_plus/print.php?forum=105&topic_id=112685

T55 LD means T55 "Lazerniy Dalnomietr" (which in Russian means laser rangefinder). They were 200 Polish t-54 type 1949-51 which were deeply rebuilt to obtain a tank close to the new t-55. These tanks were exported to Lybia, Angola, Sudan, Iraq , Syria Rhodesia and South Africa

A Russian source reported for the T-55LD: Tank T-54 rebuilt at the factory, re-assembled using new T55 and original T-54 parts. The oldest parts usually were: the main hull, engine,revised and enhanced transmission, dashboard & hatches for inspection of engine compartments, tool boxes, tanks and side panels , covers transmission hubs, rear wall of the hull, domed turrets head of commander and servant and transmission wheels .
New pieces were mainly: the new style of tower (as x T-55A) or T-54 -1951 turret converted from scratch to the standard T-55 turret, engine cover rectangular grid (the ones mounted on the T-54 was characterized by oval holes) as the standard one used on the T-55A and fitted hatches to close the grid , T-55A standard wheels, different equipment of targeting (also the mentioned laser rangefinder), attacks on the rear plate barrels of fuel and equipment for the infrared system. To finish the introduction of the gun counterweight rod . Other changes include the strengthening of the solder to "L" plate on the front of the hull with the addition to the interior of a section of welded plate

The same Russian source told that the presence of original T-54 parts depended on A) Wear of the materials available B) Availability of new or old parts C) Different construction lot
Tanks could have new equipment if they were exported. Those new equipments were New or refurbished 100mm gun and news extra fuel tanks

Here the pics of a South African T-55 LD

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?64954-South-African-National-Defence-Force/page45

Here a great model
http://hsfeatures.com/features04/t55ldlp_1.htm

It was quite difficult to me translating the original text, I hope that is enough clear. Otherwise let me know