Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Tamiya T-55A with CMK resin interior kit
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 05:08 AM UTC
This build just keeps on getting better. You're a nutcase Matt, definetly !
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 05:47 AM UTC
This is some brilliant job Matt.
Concerning the Friul tracks, I guess you used the metal wire issued in the box. It is to thin so there is some void in each link. Try to use larger pins, this should solve your excess of sagging.
If you still want to change the tracks you can get a set of the new Miniarm RMSH tracks for T-55/62 that comes with the correct sprockets. The drawback is they are of the workable type.

Olivier
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:00:16 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:00:28 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:00:39 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:00:51 (GMT).
gibbs_
Visit this Community
Haut-Rhin, France
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 06:59 PM UTC
great work!!!
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:01:03 (GMT).
spiritwalker
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 10:18 AM UTC
Hi Matt

Dont get me wrong, i applaud anyone trying to get the details correct on any build....particularly T-54/55 maybe a point to look at is how Tamiya depicted the ribs in the rear fenders....they orientated them the wrong way...maybe scrape off, drill through and recess them?..would be a shame to ruin all this excellent research and work you have put in. I see you are in the UK, i will be attending Telford later in the year and have a few models with me maybe a chance to meet..

Regards
Andy
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:01:18 (GMT).
spiritwalker
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 11:20 AM UTC
yes, front indentations incorrect too..., Life is always hectic here too, self employed in building trade. Well maybe see what happens , i will be there with a few mates . May have a build displayed on ADH Publishing[Tamiya stand], if i can get something finished.....

Regards
Andy
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 06:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I dont think the hatch face detail is totally accurate (I shall check it out), but I liked them so much I fitted them anyway

Real one seems to be a little bit simplier than yours. But details can be different on different exemplars

Quoted Text

Yep, Tamiya got the fender strengthening ribs wrong on the front portion of the fenders as well, that little bit of fender just before the mudguard, they show it raised, when it should be recessed.

Yes, unfortunately that's it...but in my opinion is a minor flaw. Correct that mistake could be difficult, boring and "risky". If I were you I wouldn't touch it

Anyway, as i told you, this is one of the best T-55 which I ever seen

Congrats again and thanks to share with us your job

I've found other references about polish t-55. (with interior pics)
If you'd like to get them I'll send you

cheers

Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:01:36 (GMT).
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 03:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, this picture reminds me that I need to make a Snorkel Tube, and I like the way this one has dust covers on each end, a nice little feature, so I might do it with dust covers.

And I was rooting around in old threads and found this very nice little Polish snorkel, made by Mauro

Thank you

Very nice, looks spot on.

Thank you But I'm sure you can do it better than me
Be careful that Polish snorkels are simplier than the Russian ones
...and unfortunately Tamiya snorkel isn't good

Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:01:54 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:02:14 (GMT).
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 06:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I hate Milliput, it's one of the best products on the market, you can smooth it with water, BUT, you end up covered in the stuff, your hands, your blades, your table

Yes, that's it It dirties all your tools and your workbench with a stcky white mush...
I've also noticed that you can smooth it with water or alcohol, but if you need very plain surfaces you can't avoid to apply on them a coat of Gunze Mr surfacer 1000 or 500 (and of course, after that, you have to sand down with a fine sandpaper)

But anyway, to thicken that rounded shape, you didn't have many other possibilities, I think...

Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 03:24 AM UTC
Matt- ever tried Magic-Sculpt? Its not as sticky as Milliput. If I'm using either I always coat my hands with talcum powder- stops the gunk sticking.

The rear of the build is awesome by the way! So many added parts- perhaps you shouldn't paint this- you know, just show it off !
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:02:32 (GMT).
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 04:33 AM UTC
Hi Karl

I've never tried magic sculpt because unfortunately i can't find it here in Italy

I've tried the talcum trick....so now my workbench is dirty with milliput and talcum

Joking aside, is a good trick but in my humble opinion is not too effective.

Dirtiness is the drawback of Milliput
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:02:52 (GMT).
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 06:06 AM UTC
I always use the talc over some grease-proof paper and a towel to stop it getting everywhere, which can be rather annoying!

Magic Sculpt hardening time would be fairly similar to Milliput. It will start to harden off after about two hours but sometimes it will be workable a while after that. Full cure takes about 24 hours. A bit of water helps smooth it out and keep it supple. It sands very nicely too. I usually use it for repairing gaps in figures and adding little bits of detail. I first tried it on a vehicle to create angular shapes on a BTR hull and it worked a treat.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 07:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I always use the talc over some grease-proof paper and a towel to stop it getting everywhere, which can be rather annoying!

Magic Sculpt hardening time would be fairly similar to Milliput. It will start to harden off after about two hours but sometimes it will be workable a while after that. Full cure takes about 24 hours. A bit of water helps smooth it out and keep it supple. It sands very nicely too. I usually use it for repairing gaps in figures and adding little bits of detail. I first tried it on a vehicle to create angular shapes on a BTR hull and it worked a treat.

Last time i used Parchment paper. Probably I wasn't careful enough
Next time I'll try to improve

Thanks for the advise
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 21:03:12 (GMT).
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 08:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You guys are very organised and professional

Professional? Who? Me?