Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Matchbox AFV Nostalgia Campaign
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 01:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...I may try to thin the panels and see what happens....

Come to think of it, I should have sanded / thinned the schurzen from the outside. The bolt details may have been less challenging to reproduce than the hangers. Hmmm...

Tat,Here you go,I thinned them as much as I dared
Not as thin as I would have liked,but I think they look much better.
We also have an almost complete hull and a drilled out barrel
So on We go,Jeff T.
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 03:46 AM UTC
Hello fellowcampaigners!
Here's where I go so far:

start about month ago, some parts were painted w/ thick layer of gloss black by previous owner, reason unknown. Had to spent two evenings removing paint....

Here's where we go today:
The Krupp Protze needs little painting, dry brushing, gloss+washes and pigments (same goes with Pak too).

The base: I think street section is ready for gloss+washes and pigments. The landscape is missing something, don't know what.. before wash with dark brown in shadow areas. Maybe some grass..?

Hopefully I'll finish this time.

What the...?? Why pics game out so small? I adjusted them into 800x600 before adding into my gallery???
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 03:57 AM UTC
Kimmo,did you copy and paste your pics from the small top row in your gallery?You need to select a pic so it gets large on your screen and copy and paste the big photo.Maybe thats what happened.Ask me how I know Jeff T.
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 03:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Kimmo,did you copy and paste your pics from the small top row in your gallery?You need to select a pic so it gets large on your screen and copy and paste the big photo.Maybe thats what happened.Ask me how I know Jeff T.

Aaarrgghh!! Oh.. So tricky is human mind, that if you haven't uploaded pics here over a year, you forgot how it's supposed to be done...
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 04:05 AM UTC
@Kimmo - great looking start, looking forward to the end product.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...Tat,Here you go,I thinned them as much as I dared ...

Looking good Jeff. I went by the same route before, though I got too aggressive. I had better results on a larger scale though. How do you plan to paint it?

Cheers,

Tat
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 12:39 PM UTC
Jeff, I have to admit to not bothering to thin the armour plates, for the reasons that Tat states, bolt detail on one side, hangers on the other, and they're positioned so close to the edge that even just thinning the very edges wasn't feasible. Looks like you did a good job though.

The tracks - on mine I don't recall them being too tight, but they were pretty stiff. Key is to make sure you get a good join on the sprock and idler and leave it to set overnight.

Don't forget also to drill out the exhaust mufflers, and if you want to really go for it, I think there's meant to be a cross piece of metal bar just inside the muffler to stop stuff going in (I drilled, but didn't do that!)

I did get the spare track link on upside down though - I think - in fact, never quite sure about it... here it is (since Tat showed his )

Kimmo, the Protz, that's another I have half finished somewhere, with the tyres removed.

Anyway, to show I am still doing work on the Priest, here's some wheels with painted tyres...

...and most of the bodywork is together; in fact I think once the wheels are on and the gun is in, that is it for construction, then it's just paint:

Maybe the hairbrush will see some action tomorrow.
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 12:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...Tat,Here you go,I thinned them as much as I dared ...

Looking good Jeff. I went by the same route before, though I got too aggressive. I had better results on a larger scale though. How do you plan to paint it?

Cheers,

Tat

I haven't got that far yet,I ordered some new colors yesterday with this build in mind,we'll see what happens.

Matt...Is that a challenge?:)Jeff T.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 02:43 PM UTC
Looking forward to your color scheme Jeff! I found the kit's suggested scheme a bit boring so I just came up with my own. Matt's scheme is another option as well -- IIRC he used toothpaste to mask it (?).

Matt, on my spare tracks, I planned not to use the whole length -- 'thought of having a few hanging at the back, so it went under the knife. In the end it was one of those grandiose schemes that found its way to the bin!

Cheers,

Tat
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 - 11:28 AM UTC
Tat, it was toothpaste on that one, for the hard edge on the factory camouflage.

Have managed to do a load of modelling this weekend, in fact I think I need a rest... in between building something else braille (but not Matchbox) the Priest has progressed. Got kind of fed up with the rather limp "detail" moulded on to the outside of the hull sides, and removed it all. Grab handles look better in wire, not so sure about my very basic tie downs. Cleaning rods can be added later, and I assume that other thing was meant to be a hoop for putting a tarpaulin cover up over the crew compartment. Now the primer is on, there's one or two places need a tidy up. Had a broken tooth on both sprockets, not sure why that was.

imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2013 - 10:11 AM UTC
Matt...Man,don't they look good when you put the primer to 'em I think that's My favorite part of any build.Nice work on the handles,it looks a lot better.
Now it's time for Me to show off a little.Making tools is not that tough.Here are some I did for My build in the Panther Campaign.
Have fun making them.
If you get me a pic of those exhaust braces,I will see what I can do about scratching some up.Jeff T.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2013 - 08:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

.... Had a broken tooth on both sprockets, not sure why that was.

Maybe its time to change to a new toothpaste formula

Sorry Matt, just couldn't resist that.

On a serious note -- my hats off to the skill you have in detailing at such a small scale. Me, I struggle in fabricating grab handles at 1/35.

Cheers,

Tat
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 01:12 AM UTC
I did a little bit of work on the base -adding a factory wall and gate

I think it works well as a backdrop for the vehicle

Now to remember where I put the tracks and the schurzen
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 01:23 AM UTC
Pat, that base looks neat, and takes it away from the standard look of some of the flat bases that I have previously described as "squashed turd".

You could always leave the schurzen off for a different look, though they do hide the join I guess.

Tat, funnily enough it did almost seem to be a case of tooth decay, in that they just kind of came off when I was taking it off the sprue, maybe they'd been cracked or something in all those years in storage.

Jeff, I did look for some photos of the inside of the mufflers, but couldn't find any that really showed it well. Some hinted at just a plain cross piece, others at a cross with a kind of circular piece in the centre, but always a few inches down the pipe which makes seeing it difficult. A common problem for us is that top down photos of the real thing are rare, while that's the angle you see the most on models...
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 11:05 AM UTC
Pat... I agree with Matt,your base looks really cool.Now We"ll be able to tell the difference between your build and mine.How did you do the hinges on the bigger door?

Matt...You are right on the nose about the top view.I'm going to drill out the exhausts and see what they look like,then see if I will do the braces.Jeff T.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 12:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Pat... I agree with Matt,your base looks really cool.Now We"ll be able to tell the difference between your build and mine.How did you do the hinges on the bigger door?

I just looked at some pics of hinges and copied them in plastic card
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 12:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I just looked at some pics of hinges and copied them in plastic card

Sometimes the simplest things are the best Jeff T.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 05:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...Tat, funnily enough it did almost seem to be a case of tooth decay, in that they just kind of came off when I was taking it off the sprue, maybe they'd been cracked or something in all those years in storage...

Yep, I guess the kit's age has caught up with it. In my case one of the Firefly's tracks decided to give up -- it broke up all by itself, and that was after several days after I put on the primer. Cheers
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 05:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...I think it works well as a backdrop for the vehicle

Now to remember where I put the tracks and the schurzen

Pat, I agree with Matt and Jeff -- I like the improvement you did on the base -- looks really awesome!

Cheers
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 11:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Pat, I agree with Matt and Jeff -- I like the improvement you did on the base -- looks really awesome!

Cheers

Thanks, As Matt says some of the Matchbox bases leave a lot to be desired but some like this are good starting points to expand on
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Armorama: 423 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 10:12 AM UTC
Bill, I intend to do the whole lot including figures if I can get them painted in time. Its a favorite of mine too and definitely one of Matchbox's best.
Kimmo, great work on the Krupp its very neatly painted. Your canvas roof is very convincingly done.
Matthew, nice looking Jagdpanzer. Cant wait to see how the Priest turns out.
Pat, I love the additional wall to the diorama. May have to give that a try myself one day.

My build is progressing quite nicely.
The Renault has had its first lick of paint. Namely Humbrol 83 Ochre. In hindsight I should have primed as the dark green plastic shows through in some spots. A second coat should solve that.

The Char B is nearing completion. Hull's together and just needs the turret and fiddly bits sticking on. Might have to do a little research on some cammo schemes as the box art and instructions show completely different schemes.

And lastly the diorama base is assembled. I blended in the back walls to the ground with some thinned down filler brushed into the slight gap. Just needs the door adding.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 11:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Renault has had its first lick of paint. Namely Humbrol 83 Ochre.

Looks strangely similar to my own paint mix that I have now applied to the Priest, it's meant to be Light Mud, but I have indulged in a little "Matchbox Mudulation" and lightened it up on the higher parts. This is the base for what the instructions say should be "Chocolate brown" patches to go over on the upper parts of the hull.

Quoted Text

Might have to do a little research on some cammo schemes as the box art and instructions show completely different schemes.

Similar with the Priest; the painting on the side of the British scheme and that on the instructions are pretty different, the brown in the colour pic not being chocolatey at all.

imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 11:52 AM UTC
Matt... Nice fade job Dude,that looks outstanding.I've tried to do the same thing a couple of times and the results have not been that good.More practice I guess.

Pat... Have you thought about what type of paint job you are going to use on your L/70? I'm building the same kit and it would be good if we did different scheames

I'm kinda stuck on My kit,still waiting for paint to arrive,I hope in the next day or two.Jeff T.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Armorama: 423 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 12:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The Renault has had its first lick of paint. Namely Humbrol 83 Ochre.

Looks strangely similar to my own paint mix that I have now applied to the Priest, it's meant to be Light Mud, but I have indulged in a little "Matchbox Mudulation" and lightened it up on the higher parts. This is the base for what the instructions say should be "Chocolate brown" patches to go over on the upper parts of the hull.

Quoted Text

Might have to do a little research on some cammo schemes as the box art and instructions show completely different schemes.

Similar with the Priest; the painting on the side of the British scheme and that on the instructions are pretty different, the brown in the colour pic not being chocolatey at all.

It does look very similar. The colour I used looks a lot darker in the photo than it does in reality. Its a more a mustard shade. I often use it for Panzer yellow as its very similar to Tamiya's version on that.
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 01:20 PM UTC
Well,My paint came today,so I slapped some primer on the L/70 and dry fitted the tracks and left them on to take a set.I thought they where going to be a pain,but they slipped right on,no problem.
The plan is to basecoat tomorrow and maybe paint the tracks,that's if We make it through the Blizzard Jeff T.