Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Matchbox AFV Nostalgia Campaign
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 01:42 PM UTC
Matt/Jeff - Looking good, can't wait to see finished product.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 01:16 PM UTC
We now have wheels:

imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 01:29 PM UTC
Matt... Wheels are good
I spent most of the day digging out from the storm,so did not get anything done on my build.Tomorrow's another day.Jeff T.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 10:02 PM UTC
Yes, sorry to hear about the extent of all that, I heard something about28" of snow falling over one day. Hope all of you up in that corner and in Canada are coping and can get back to important matters of model making soon.
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, sorry to hear about the extent of all that, I heard something about28" of snow falling over one day. Hope all of you up in that corner and in Canada are coping and can get back to important matters of model making soon.

No real problems here,got about 16 inches of snow,and never lost our power.Just a pain in the butt to clean up.My Cousin in Boston posted a pic of his car on Facebook and all you could see was the side mirror sticking out.The rest of the car was covered.Jeff T.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 - 07:04 AM UTC
Dear Matchbox campaigners.
Thanks to you all! Thanks for bringing back all those memories of bringing around news papers, getting paid and off I went into a toy shop to get rid of my money in order to exchange it for very affordable kits. Not aware (yet ) of brass, etched add on's, spray paint or resin, I glued and painted according the instructions. And within two (!) years my room was invaded by a mini colonne of a jeep, a centurion, an AEC atrillery tractor and gun and a half track. Now, almost 45 years later this campaign shows me all those models which brought me to a wonderful hobby. As said: THANKS!
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 12:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

:D Thanks for bringing back all those memories ...As said: THANKS!

Paul, if you like this, then you'll like this too (if you haven't already seen it: lMatchbox Nostalgia I

The Priest now has tracks, the gun is just resting in there, a "test fitting".

And the base, not sure what all that stuff is meant to be, but I'm thinking yellowy clayish soil with whitish rocky bits, that was a few photos of the area around Cassino I found anyway.

The shells are yellow as they're meant to have a yellow stripe around the base, so this is base colour.

imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 01:47 PM UTC
Matt... Looking good.
When I did My research for Cassino ,I found that it was a really wet place.If you go back to page 8 of this thread,you'll find 3 three pics I posted.That's why My Humber ended up so muddy.Hope this helps you out with your base.Jeff T.
panzerman1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 430 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 07:44 PM UTC
@Matthew, the Priest is coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing the paint scheme you will use. Have Fun finishing it up. Best Regards, Bill.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 03:54 AM UTC
Oh my God, Matthew! You killed that M7!

M7 on a skewer... Fire up the barbie!!
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 10:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh my God, Matthew! You killed that M7!

M7 on a skewer... Fire up the barbie!!

Stefan...I think they are outriggers so it won't tip over when it gets hit by a round Oh no,wait a minute,they must be for track sag,yeah,that's it,track sag Jeff T.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 12:11 PM UTC
Thanks William... Jeff, Stefan, I think they are skewers for a charcoal grill, at least that's what I now feel like doing...

The sticks were just to hold the tracks down on to the rollers while some glue set, and give a little sag, though I think these M3 / M4 types don't really have much sag. Anyway, then did the toothpaste / tissue / tape masking:

Then sprayed with NATO Black, fading to German Grey:

Then while washing the paste off, it became wobbly on the blob of blu tack, and I careless pushed it back down with my finger on the edge, and that pesky side armour, that I spent so long eliminating the poor join on, snapped off:

With all that spray shaded paint on, that's hard to put right. Also, I slightly messed up the masking on the other side; the pattern isn't quite right at the front of the side, the grey is too thin, also not that easy to correct due to the mix of paint:

I'm considering a tarp right over the top!
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 04:45 PM UTC
Matt, don't give up yet. I can relate to how frustrating it must be after all the prep work -- just have a brief pause before getting back to it. Am sure you'll get a fix for it.

Cheers,

Tat
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 10:32 PM UTC
Matt... That really sucks.But I agree with Tat,don't give up yet.
I got thinking about it and had an idea,take a look at this.

This may not be the same version as your's but it is an M7.As you can see in the photo,those side panels where made to fold down.Maybe you could carefully clean up the edges,touch them up and show the panel folded down.That way you would have just a very small area to repaint and not have to worry about the paint match that much.
I think doing that would be a good save with a minimum amount of work and a cool and easy scratched upgrade Jeff T.
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 11:49 AM UTC
Haven't posted much progress lately,but did some stuff done today.
Roadwheels painted.

Sprockets and idlers done.

Base coat applied and tracks mounted.

Last but not least,tools painted,spare track,and roadwheels done.Still have to do the jack block,exhaust, and fire extinguisher.

Need to deside what I'm going to do for camo.Jeff T.
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 03:11 AM UTC
Hello fellow Matchboxmaniacs!
Woohoo!! It's finished. Finally I finished a campaign on time after couple big disappointments..
Here's the whole thing:

..and the base alone:

More pics will follow at campaign gallery, if I remember, how to do it.... This has been great fun and big deja vú to my childhood years. Many thanks to Kevin for running this show and for the others; keep then coming. There's many great kits to get finished. Hopefully some day we will see campaign number 3..

Ok, 3 more pics on campaign gallery.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 03:43 AM UTC
Kimmo - Nice finish, looks great. Thanks
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 07:18 AM UTC
Kimmo,Ya Buddy!That looks great.Nice job,and congrats on finishing Jeff T.
minas-ithil
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 224 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 09:08 AM UTC
Better late than never, I always say...
I have finally been able to make a start on a kit I have chosen the Matchbox (Revell) Chaffee. Below is the slightly late sprueshot - taken after I had made the lower hull a couple weeks ago. Mea culpa. I hope this works and I will try and get it completed in the remaining days of the campaign

Thanks,
Minas-Ithil
minas-ithil
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 224 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 09:10 AM UTC
Casualmodeler,

Very nice job on the Protze and the base. You did an excellent paintjob on the paving stones. real nice.

Stephen
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 08:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Casualmodeler,

Very nice job on the Protze and the base. You did an excellent paintjob on the paving stones. real nice.

Stephen

Thanks!
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Armorama: 423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 11:10 AM UTC
Nice work on the Protze Kimmo.

Update with my build.
The Char is now about 95% built. Just needs a clean up of the hull-to-top glue join and then adding in the track covers and she's ready for paint. I've seen that Tamiya's larger kit also included the same markings as this kit so I plan on doing it the same as Tamiya suggested.

Base coat on the backdrop. I used Tamiya flat earth acrylic on the track and Tamiya deck tan for the wall. I think it gives a nice sand stone colour that should look quite good on the arch, window frames and the wall toppings.

And lastly the figures cleaned up and ready for a primer spray. Its a shame that Matchbox did not vary the poses of the two marching soldiers as they're identical!

imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 01:56 PM UTC
Nice work Guys.
Well, We got camo...

Stephen W...Tank and base look great.I need to figure out what I'm going to do with mine.I'm thinking maybe a late winter scene with a very worn whitewash on the tank.
And 4 figures? Man,I can't work up the courage to do the 1 that came with my kit,never mind 4 Jeff T.
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 07:50 AM UTC
Nice work so far, Stephen. Painting multicolour camo on Char can be tricky but wait, when you do it with FT-17.. Trust me, I know what I'm saying..
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 12:23 PM UTC
Jeff:
Quoted Text

Maybe you could carefully clean up the edges,touch them up and show the panel folded down.That way you would have just a very small area to repaint and not have to worry about the paint match that much.

I took an even easier road than that and just pulled them off completely . Basically I did almost nothing more than give a little sand paper clean up to the scar.

Your Jagdpanzer looks good in the camo, and liking your red oxide plates. January 1945...? Winter scheme sounds good, haven't seen that yet done with this kit and base.

Kimmo, the Protze looks cool on its nice base - one of the better bases on that kit I think. Nice touch with the cable hanging down. Reminds me that mine is STILL in a half finished state after 35 years - did a bit a couple of years ago, but still not there!

2x Stephens, not long to go, I thought I'd left mine late, but thankfully I am almost there in time.

This is where I'm at - some rather heavy oily looking weathering, currently all a bit glossy. To go with the inauthentic missing side plates and the rearranged headlamps, I'm throwing caution to the wind and leaving off the track guards too, I like the tracks on this one so thought I'd show them off. Them and the suspension and maybe the gun are the best bits on this kit for me - the moulded detail on the rear deck is a bit poor and the details that were on the sides were equally feeble. Added a solitary tuft of veg to the base where they haven't trampled yet. No idea what all that stuff to the sides is meant to be.