Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Mack NO6 - 7 1/2 ton artillery tractor
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 09:18 PM UTC
Beautifully clean photo of restored Mack NO6 with bridge disc just found on line.

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 08:38 PM UTC

This neat image of the Mack NO comes to us by way to the Ft. Eustis Transportation Museum Library and the efforts of Mr. Kingston Montgomery Winget.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 03:58 PM UTC
This is a really great build. I am very interested in these unusual (at least for me) American machines. Thanks for posting this. Great job.

Jeff
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 05:30 PM UTC
Thanks Jeff. I think my subconscious modeling goal is to fill in all the models (like the Mack NO) not otherwise offered. I certainly have a long way to go!
Carol81
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 05:31 PM UTC

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 09:24 PM UTC

Photo by Rene Boot
2002hummer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 812 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 09:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautifully clean photo of restored Mack NO6 with bridge disc just found on line.

What was(is)the bridge disc meant to signify? Is it the axle weights of the truck?
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What was(is)the bridge disc meant to signify? Is it the axle weights of the truck?

It is the total weight Indication, this one indicates the single truck and the total weight ( the figure on top) with trailer/gun.
You may see these indications at bridges to. In the former West Germany they were very common.

The yellow number plates show that it is a restaured vehicle, now registered in The Netherlands and owned by the Dutch Army.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 - 01:13 AM UTC
If the bridge disk numbers on your vehicle exceed those posted on the bridge itself then you are under orders not to cross with that vehicle.

Sometimes the disk is not a separate piece of metal but simply painted on the fender but the look, size, color and meaning is the same!

The purpose is the same as the "Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight" signs seen on US bridges today.
2002hummer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 812 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 - 07:30 AM UTC
Thanks for the explanations, even though the question was off topic.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 - 03:58 PM UTC
Simple enough, and a good general topic sort of question that some may not know!

Cheers
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 - 06:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think my subconscious modeling goal is to fill in all the models (like the Mack NO) not otherwise offered. I certainly have a long way to go!

Indeed Mike. Just take Federal trucks for instance :

AFAIK, only the 94X63 COE tractor is available in 1/35th scale...

H.P.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 - 10:38 PM UTC
Believe me I know, I know! As you say the Federal COE is available in resin and that would be my primary vehicle of interest at least to start with.

On a slightly different topic I think any manufacture currently doing a GMC Deuce chassis ought to consider doing a COE with a long load box! Cool stuff!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 10:39 PM UTC
Modification of Dragon Wagon wheelsets for use on Mack NO6:

Narrowing the wheel drums will; just like on the real thing, allow the rubber tires to look thinner and stand just a bit taller as they should on the Mack.

If you are being a purest, the Dragon Wagon wheel drums need to be narrowed to match those used on the Mack. (This step can be avoided if you are like me - a "close enough is good enough modeler".) Use your best judgement here. Start by putting several cross wise score marks around the wheel drum. This will help you realign the two halves of the drum once the cut is made. Then using a Dremel abrasive cut off wheel go around the circumference centerline of the drum cutting it into two rings. You don't have to be too neat or exact here because most of this work will be covered up later. Now give both sides of the cut a light sanding just to knock off the rough spots and using the score marks made earlier, realign the two halves of the wheel drum and re-glue the two halves back together. In the photo above the wheel drum on the right has been cut, re-glued and a strip of Evergreen plastic has been wrapped around it for extra strength.

Now you need to remove the wheel center from the modified wheel drum. This step will become easier after the first couple of wheels. This requires some drilling, some scrapping with a hobby knife and some sanding with either a large round file or a sanding drum mounted on a motor tool.

Once you are down to a smooth wheel ring you then epoxy the Scale-Link resin wheel center into place and you are done. The wheel center may require just the slightest edge sanding to get a snug fit into the wheel drum.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 10:54 PM UTC
The wheels/tires from Tank Workshop's M123A1C or M125 kits are perfect for the Mack NO as well. The rear hubs still need to be reworked, but that is all. They will sell them as a separate set as well, for about $30. I bought a set of replacement wheels/tires for my M123A1C scratch-build after the Tamiya rubber tires started to come apart since they were stretched over larger wheels (modified 1/24 civilian truck wheels).

Not mine, but you can see them here.

Mine w/the modified 1/24 truck wheels. (no pics since the change)

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 10:59 PM UTC
Gino

That is FANTASTIC! That would have saved me a boatload of time and effort had I but known this!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW

Regards
MIke
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 11:51 PM UTC

In this photo both front wheels and the two spares have had their wheel rims narrowed and had their wheel centers replaced.

The rear tires and drums are still the stock Dragon Wagon sets at this point with the exception that the needle bearing housing in the center of the wheel hub has been added to look more like the Mack.

You can clearly see in this 90 degree side view photo, the front of the vehicle stands slightly higher because the narrowing of the wheel drums causes the tire to stand taller. (Just as they would on a real vehicle.)

I have yet to narrow the rear wheel drums in this photo so they are not as tall as the front tires. However the fact the the chassis stands lower in the rear is easily explained once the weight of the 155mm gun is added to the rear hitch. (As seen below.)

Marknasim
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 01:29 AM UTC
Sure would like to see that in a plastic kit….amongst other trucks that are needed/wanted.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sure would like to see that in a plastic kit….amongst other trucks that are needed/wanted.

AGREED! Mike, even though you did a masterful job with your Mack No., a plastic kit would be just the thing! Just as we could use plastic kits of American La France vehicles, Federal and Autocar Conventionals and Cabovers, along with International's equivalent of GMC 6x6 CCKWs... The NAVY used a good number of those Internationals, whereas the ARMY kept the Internationals in "Limited Standard" use. A Corbitt or two might be nice as well...

Hm. TANK WORKSHOP for more accurate wheels and tires for use on a Mack no., huh? Good idea! Too bad you have to buy an entire resin kit of the M123 or M125 just to get the wheels and tires. I wonder if TANK WORKSHOP would sell the wheels and tires separately..?
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 03:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hm. TANK WORKSHOP for more accurate wheels and tires for use on a Mack no., huh? Good idea! Too bad you have to buy an entire resin kit of the M123 or M125 just to get the wheels and tires. I wonder if TANK WORKSHOP would sell the wheels and tires separately..?

They will and do according to an earlier post.

Quoted Text

The wheels/tires from Tank Workshop's M123A1C or M125 kits are perfect for the Mack NO as well. The rear hubs still need to be reworked, but that is all. They will sell them as a separate set as well, for about $30.

rmadfire1
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 06:03 AM UTC
In the process of gathering parts and pieces to build a Mack NO. I love this old cannon hauler.
Removed by original poster on 12/16/15 - 02:10:03 (GMT).
DocEvan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 08:16 AM UTC
*sigh*...we can dream!

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

AGREED! Mike, even though you did a masterful job with your Mack No., a plastic kit would be just the thing! Just as we could use plastic kits of American La France vehicles, Federal and Autocar Conventionals and Cabovers, along with International's equivalent of GMC 6x6 CCKWs... The NAVY used a good number of those Internationals, whereas the ARMY kept the Internationals in "Limited Standard" use. A Corbitt or two might be nice as well...

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 12:08 AM UTC
There is the possibility that Mirror Models MIGHT, just might, produce a Mack NO sometime in the future. I have offered my assistance and any of my research to Libor in the hopes that this will encourage him in that direction.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 02:31 AM UTC
A very late and out of sequence modeling note:

On the Mack the differential was mounted off-center unlike the differential on the Dragon Wagon which was centered on the axle so modifications were necessary.

In the photo above the axle housing between the left spring mount and the differential has been removed completely thereby shifting the differential towards the driver's side of the vehicle. Then the axle housing between the right leaf spring mount and the differential has been lengthened considerably using a tapered box constructed from Evergreen sheet stock and then blended smoothly into the overall axle structure using body putty and a sanding stick.

The final assembly of the front axle for the Mack NO6 is shown above.

Please note: In the bottom final assembly photo the mountings for the front leaf springs have been shortened considerably compared to the top photo which was taken much earlier in the building process.