Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Big Guns Campaign
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 12:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi guys,

I know I am late to the party, but I like the idea of this, and as I have just destroyed my 1:48 AFV Club Tiger I, so need something else to build. I am down to my last unopened box until XMAS day, so was wondering if the behemoth is allowed in this campaign.

The mighty 1:35 Dragon German Super Heavy Tank "Maus"

If not that is okay

Sorry guys, but did I miss the answer to this one. I am fine either way, and will be building it. Just want to know if it will be done inside campaign, or just for the "agonising over the road wheels" fun.

No problem !
IamTJones
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 12:47 PM UTC
It has been a long time since I posted here, This is where the howitzer stands as of now.

I've been extremely busy with studying So I have very limited Modeling time right now but I am still hoping to get at least a few of the crew members done before the deadline. As well as finishing several other models of campaign and starting a few more.

No rest for the wiked

Cheers
Tristan
Wilso2276
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 03:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi guys,

I know I am late to the party, but I like the idea of this, and as I have just destroyed my 1:48 AFV Club Tiger I, so need something else to build. I am down to my last unopened box until XMAS day, so was wondering if the behemoth is allowed in this campaign.

The mighty 1:35 Dragon German Super Heavy Tank "Maus"

If not that is okay

Sorry guys, but did I miss the answer to this one. I am fine either way, and will be building it. Just want to know if it will be done inside campaign, or just for the "agonising over the road wheels" fun.

No problem !

Thanks John, looks like I will get started tonight
ChiefGunner
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 205 posts
Armorama: 203 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 07:58 AM UTC
German 21cm Morser 18 - WIP

Regards
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 03:05 PM UTC
Progress
I am considering not gluing the rear of the hull on depends on how well the interior turns out
 photo P1080494.jpg
And the Big Gun business end
 photo P1080495.jpg
I'll shoot some primer at this tomorrow
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 03:21 PM UTC
It's looking good Sal !
On my AFV SturmTiger I added a Tamyia set with 6 ammo metal rounds w/decals, they look great but I didn't had your brilliant idea of leaving it with the back opened ..

So I had a great interior with with only 2 small hatches opened..

Anyway, looking forward to see you put some paint on it !!
Tri-tone ambush scheme maybe ?

Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 12:42 PM UTC
Well, time for a small update.
I was held up for a day trying to figure out these fender pieces and how they are to be assembled. How and why Dragon came up with this assembly is beyond me. What a bastard.

Both fenders assemblies are built.
I have been working on the rear deck. There's a few pieces of etch on the exterior. Luckily, my new etch mate bender came early, so i got to try it out.

What a difference not using razor blades on a block of steel to bend.
Still need to figure it out though.
There's also some etch on the interior side of the deck, but not worth a photo.

I have also been cutting, scrapping, priming and painting the wheels as i go. it's bad enough PZIV type AFVs have so many wheels, but Dragon has to use some crappy mold where the tires are not matched properly at the seam.

But i am not letting that hold me up.
I am still enjoying this build.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Armorama: 712 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 08:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been working on the rear deck. There's a few pieces of etch on the exterior. Luckily, my new etch mate bender came early, so i got to try it out.

I have also been cutting, scrapping, priming and painting the wheels as i go. it's bad enough PZIV type AFVs have so many wheels, but Dragon has to use some crappy mold where the tires are not matched properly at the seam.

But i am not letting that hold me up.
I am still enjoying this build.

Dragon are not the only one mate, I am building a Pz.IV Ausf.D for the Panzers! Return! campaign and there road wheels are just as bad.. Hang in there..

I am about to enlist as I have cured my ship fetish for the moment and am going back to targets and aircraft for a while. BTW, that picture early in the thread about the differences between the forces is spot on. I was in the air force for a while and enjoyed those hotel rooms while everyone else was in tents.. When they started complaining you just asked them whether they would like a nice, refreshed person flying them tactical into a short airfield in a storm or someone still half asleep after a bad nights sleep in a hootchie.. Changed their mind up every time.

Cheers all
Warren

Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 09:13 AM UTC
Ok, last details on the hull & interior

Also painted the wheels with Vallejo New Rubber and Tamyia Rubber ( you can clearly see the different colour )

Will try to finish those wheels and start to get a base coat of Dark Yellow on the big Hummel soon !!
Petro
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 05:08 PM UTC
Progress report, Lot's of trimming and scrapping.
I've got the gun assembly built and primed. I will paint it up, though not much will been seen, as most doors /hatches will be closed.

I had to use the Dremel to open up the ball mantlet thing to fit the gun in. the support legs are a tad wider then the opening the back of the mantlet.

I attached the fenders to the substructure.

i have been working on the main fighting compartment.
The driver's block had an ugly gap when installed, so i stretched some sprue and made filled it in, trying to make a slight weld.

The inset picture shows before the fill.

As i am getting closer to getting the main areas done, it is time to start with the small details.
There was not any layout for the 4 lifting hooks on the main fighting compartment. With the Zimmerit molding, i guess Dragon said let us figure it out. So with a few photos
and a rule, I layed out where i thought they should go. With the hooks being bigger then what should be, i think i did ok.
These things usually always come off afterwards, so this time i decide to use a knife and try to blend it in good and make a weld bead. WIth the zimmerit, the hooks would have looked terrible with out it.

That's a first for me, trying to form up small welds.
I might need to rework them a little better visually, but i don't think they will come off without breaking.
Hoping to get her assembled and primed during the weekend.

1721Lancers
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
Armorama: 1,640 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 04:08 AM UTC
Hi Marc, here is something I found in my photos. I think it's a mid version but you could copy the interesting crew step over the exhaust onto your build.

Brumbär at the Panzermuseum Munster:-

It is welded in place and could well of been fitted to many versions. It would shaw help when bombing this beast up

Paul
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't sweat the small stuff. Do I need to resign from the campaign? Let me know. There is a story to the 155 mm round. One day I was shopping in a boat junk store(used boat stuff) and I saw the round,painted OD Green. It had the metal fuse.I asked how much and he said $50 ,ok but it appears to be live. The guy went white and I asked for a set of channel lock pliers. I VERRRRRY carefully unscrewed the fuse. As I pulled it out I noticed no burster /supplemental charge. Got a flashlight and looked the round was empty. So I bought it and now I have a 105 mm round w/brass canister and the 155 mm. But now it is pained to be a 155 mm VX gas round. Those who know go bonkers when they see it. Thee 105 is just an HE round.

The most interesting artillery piece I have seen is a 16 inch gun at the Aberdeen Proving Ground outdoor museum.It was a battleship gun on a huge mount.

When I was stationed in Panama I got to go through the canal on the Battleship New Jersey.Being a battery commander of the only US artillery unit south of. the Rio Grande, I got the tour of the guns.Really cool. Now we live near MOBILE AL. So I have been on the USS Alabama.

My next build will be a 54 cm, German SP Mortar. Either LOKI or TOR. But it will be too late for this campaign. Ah well watch for it on the regular forum.

Here are so pics. the first 4 show the difference between the Marines,Army,Navy and finally the Air Force, The last two are just funny,I have me should anyone want them . Give me e mail or whatever,

Being retired Air Force (1974-1996) I think I qualify to remark on your photo(s) that identify us. The one photo that has a guy surrounded by 4 women is completely inaccurate. You're missing the catering and more women that need to be added indicating they are away from their bf's and husbands of other branches of the military coming over to enjoy what the Air Force has to offer!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 06:02 AM UTC
There are so many good builds going on, here. I think I will start laying down some paint, today.
Petro
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Marc, here is something I found in my photos. I think it's a mid version but you could copy the interesting crew step over the exhaust onto your build.

Brumbär at the Panzermuseum Munster:-

It is welded in place and could well of been fitted to many versions. It would shaw help when bombing this beast up

Paul

Hey Paul, the kit has that option. I opted for the older exhaust.
But after looking at some of the pictures from the survivors, i noticed this kit has a totally different drivers block with the armored shutters. It is really confusing.
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 - 07:11 AM UTC
Gun w/ primer

TMoon
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 - 03:10 PM UTC
Here is my startup photo of the 1/72 Dora 80cm Railgun

I'm hoping I can finish this by the deadline.
Tom
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 04:35 AM UTC
@Tom

That's huge.. even at 1:72 .. it's huge.

My update

Ready for some filter near the running gear before adding the wheels & tracks.

All the wheels are ready too.

1721Lancers
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
Armorama: 1,640 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 06:18 AM UTC
Tom where are you going to put that when it's done
That thing is huge, good luck buddy

John looking good my friend , now it's the (re)turn of the road wheels . I bet you will make a campaign of "rubber pneus only" soon
Stick at her she's looking good

Paul
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 07:42 AM UTC
No rubber tire Campaign for sure Paul ..

Panzer IV wheels are a walk in the park comparing to the Neubaufahrzeug wheel / suspension set. Trust me.
This is the right timing to do all Panzer IV variants

Before starting it for the Trumpeter's Campaign I was planning on getting at least one more Neubaufahrzeug ... removed from my wishlist, no, no,no ... this will be my one and only.

I added the wheels, the filter for the lower hull too.
Also painted the small rollers and the wheel covers.
I'm hoping to start the tracks this week.

TMoon
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 07:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tom where are you going to put that when it's done
That thing is huge, good luck buddy

Paul

Paul,
the 1/72 is large, the 1/35 is huge.
Here is a photo of the 1/35 scale model I finished in 2006. In the background you can see some shelves. This model is up there now on top and the 1/72 will fit right in front of it.

Here is a photo I took trying to get a blue background. Too Big>

Am I having fun? You bet!
Tom
Petro
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 08:44 AM UTC
I put some quick paint and a wash on the gun/interior. Like i said, most will not be seen. Thankfully, because i can't do the chipping /scratching effect at all.
And i mated the two halves together this AM.
Lots of little pieces broke off in the process. Par for the course with my builds. I had a minor gap in the front where the fighting compartment mounted to the part that has the brake hatches. I stretched some sprue and filled the gap and tried to make it look like Zimmerit. Let's just say it looks better then a gap.
I was about to start working on the little piece that fell off when i knocked over a pretty much new bottle of Testor's liquid cement. All because i didn't do my normal routine of putting the cap on. I do that with ANY liquid.
So, i figured that was a sign to stop.
The pics

ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 03:24 PM UTC
Dam Tom a 1/35 and a 1/72 Dora
Nice progress Marc and John
I got primer on the Sturmmorser and some color on the interior
 photo P1080513.jpg
 photo P1080512.jpg
 photo P1080514.jpg
I have some AK's interior weathering set that I will try on the inside and I think I have to mix up some dunkelgelb
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 - 06:38 AM UTC
Small progress:

Will start working on the tracks soon.

Petro
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 - 03:18 PM UTC
I got the beast primed today. (New Airbrush is nice.)
But first i had to put those tiny little rectangles on the fighting compartment for the scurzen mounts. What a MFer to mount these things. With the Zimmerit, there aren't any mounting holes. Figure out where they are going, and hope to hell you don't drop it or squeeze the tweezers too hard. They look like bits of chopped sprue when you are looking for them.

I also threw together a quick light tent/box. Still need to figure it out.

Petro
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 07:20 AM UTC
I had done pre-shading the other day.
Basecoat and some modulation today.
I need to get some new brushes for some highlights.