Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Aber zack zack junge!!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 10:28 PM UTC
Jerry- great to see some more progress in this evolving build- those look like some fairly nasty wounds he has and I think you have got the balance of the wounds and blood just right- the viewer is drawn to the white and red obviously but its done in subtle and thoughtful way so as to also present the viewer with other things to view like the clothing in two different patterns and the general weary and wounded expression on his face.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry- great to see some more progress in this evolving build- those look like some fairly nasty wounds he has and I think you have got the balance of the wounds and blood just right- the viewer is drawn to the white and red obviously but its done in subtle and thoughtful way so as to also present the viewer with other things to view like the clothing in two different patterns and the general weary and wounded expression on his face.

Thanks Karl,
I am always happy to see your input as you put forth a lot of thought into your posts. I was hoping to get the weary look as he is supposed to be one of the guys moved from the Castle Froid Cour back to LeGlieze after the Americans outflanked the positions of Gepanzertegruppe Peiper. I get the impression that not a lot of medical care was available in the cellers of the castle and so did not make these dressings very elabarat. What are the thoughts on adding a sling?
J
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Karl,
I am always happy to see your input as you put forth a lot of thought into your posts. I was hoping to get the weary look as he is supposed to be one of the guys moved from the Castle Froid Cour back to LeGlieze after the Americans outflanked the positions of Gepanzertegruppe Peiper. I get the impression that not a lot of medical care was available in the cellers of the castle and so did not make these dressings very elabarat. What are the thoughts on adding a sling?
J

I would say a sling would be optional- for a start the material used to make it might be needed elsewhere for other wounds. I suppose an old rifle or equipment sling would suffice to make one but then you kind of have some limited movement if you have an arm in a sling, which might not be the most useful thing under fire or on operations. If he was sitting down or just hanging around not doing much I suppose a sling would be more relevant. The pose you have him in at the minute looks natural, I think a sling could work but it might look like an afterthought and, depending where you put it, it could cover up the cold look on his hands and/or the blood on the arm bandage. Thats just my two cents though !
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 02:43 AM UTC
I think you have a good line of thought there.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 02:37 PM UTC
Next dude finished. Older guy transferred into the LSSAH in Nov 44 to make good the loses from Normandy.

Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 10:31 PM UTC
Looking at where you have him that seems such a difficult place to place a figure, due to the angles and equipment and then to get the pose and position looking natural, just fantastic mate. When you concentrate on his face he really does look old and the glasses certainly add to the effect- is it a Hornet head and are the glasses an aftermarket piece or scratchbuilt?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 11:26 PM UTC
You have mad figure skills!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking at where you have him that seems such a difficult place to place a figure, due to the angles and equipment and then to get the pose and position looking natural, just fantastic mate. When you concentrate on his face he really does look old and the glasses certainly add to the effect- is it a Hornet head and are the glasses an aftermarket piece or scratchbuilt?

Thanks again Karl,for seeing just the right thing. I must admit that it took some planning to get him to fit in there. The head is indeed from Hornet(saves the day once again) and I added the hat from the spares box I think. The glasses are PE from the very useful fret from Alliancemodels concerning awards and decorations. The set also has watches,combs and other personal items as well. I can't seem to locate any good LSSAH shoulder strap slip ons in the right size though.
I tend to think this guy would not have had them anyway,being a late comer.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You have mad figure skills!

Thanks again Matt!
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 01:25 PM UTC
Nice job, especially on the face...makes him look like an old guy haha. I like those glasses too.

Actually, he kinda looks like one of my uncles...

-Conor
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 06:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice job, especially on the face...makes him look like an old guy haha. I like those glasses too.

Actually, he kinda looks like one of my uncles...

-Conor

Thanks Conor,
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 09:24 AM UTC

big talent there Buddy!! The others are definitely right!!!

It is always a pleasure to follow your threads!!

Cheers

Romain
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 12:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

big talent there Buddy!! The others are definitely right!!!

It is always a pleasure to follow your threads!!

Cheers

Romain

Cool. Thanks for the support buddy. Pretty cool because I met a lady from Austria last night when we went out to celebrate my girlfriends' birthday. The table next to us had three couples and all from Germany,except the lady from Ostereich.
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 12:20 AM UTC

Watch out Jerry......the ladies from Austria are especially "dangerous!!!

I know what I'm talking about!

Happily married for 30 years now!!

Cheers

Romain
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Watch out Jerry......the ladies from Austria are especially "dangerous!!!

I know what I'm talking about!

Happily married for 30 years now!!

Cheers

Ah yes!! This one was also dangerous. They were all good long time friends and there were a lot of "dead soldiers" in the wine bucket. They were all born in Europe and in their 80's and all now live near me since the 1950s.
When they were leaving the Austian came up to me and said"Those German always give us a lot of trouble!!" with a straight face!! One of the German guys then said: "US? We give you trouble? Look at the guy you sent us in the 1930s!!!"

Of course they were all joking. It was a nice night for me. I miss Germany and Europe in general,England as well. I always seen to find more people to talk with over there as most of my countryman don't seem interested in all that much.
J

Romain

lakv
Visit this Community
Parana, Brazil
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 02:38 PM UTC
Jerry,

Excellent job with the figures
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry,

Excellent job with the figures

Thanks buddy!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 06:19 AM UTC
As I have just about wrapped up the vehicle that will be used in this dio and I was showing the build log on the tank forum I decided to continue the finish on this forum as it now concerns figs and groundwork more.
Latest guy just about done. Hauptscharfuhrer Schell from the stabzug of III/PzGrenRegt2. I tried to put a glaze of semi gloss valajo on his motorcycle coat. Maybe more shine? Is it enough?

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 06:55 AM UTC

the back looks just fine, the front could use a little more lustre.

Apart from that the figure is very nice! Great job Sir!!

May I ask what you are using for your rifle/sub slings?? I like them very much!!

Cheers

Romain
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 08:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the back looks just fine, the front could use a little more lustre.

Apart from that the figure is very nice! Great job Sir!!

May I ask what you are using for your rifle/sub slings?? I like them very much!!

Cheers

Thanks Rom,
The back I think is benefiting more from the oil from my hands for it's shine! You are correct and I also think more shine is needed in front.
Some slings I make from wine bottle lead foil. This one happens to be from Alliancemodelworks because I liked the clasp.
J
J

Romain

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 09:11 AM UTC

Thanks for the info m8! Matches my thoughts as far as the wine bottles are concerned

New ecological or just practical tendencies do make our lives harder. In the near future we might even lose that lead, Toothpaste tubes are plastic now, match boxes are no longer wood.....etc.
Fortunately, I have stocks of theses kinds of valuables!

The natural oils from the skin are really helpful indeed!!!

Keep up the good work!!!

Cheers

R.

Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 10:21 PM UTC
Jerry- I was wondering where this fella had got to! I see you've been very busy with him. I must say the way you have the MP40 slung on his shoulder is millimetre perfect, it looks completely natural and in tune with his pose- even down to the way the strap digs into his shoulder patch. I can see what you mean about the coat- I don't like using any sort of acrylic gloss for simulating leather gloss- I prefer to use Future floor polish- the reason being a single coat provides a very subtle sheen- hence you can build up the gloss easily and without overdoing it or simply keep it to a nice subtle gloss for well used and/or dirty and dusty leather equipment.

I think you've nailed the face and skin painting here too and the light blue scarf is a great addition as it adds a nice bit of interest- drawing the eyes up to the face and giving a bit of color to the field grey clothes. I always thing things like a scarf also add a nice bit of personalisation to a figure- it stands out from others but it also, at least for me anyway, gets you thinking about things like maybe his wife gave it to him or things like that- it just always provides that little bit of an extra incentive to think beyond the plastic as it were!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 01:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry- I was wondering where this fella had got to! I see you've been very busy with him. I must say the way you have the MP40 slung on his shoulder is millimetre perfect, it looks completely natural and in tune with his pose- even down to the way the strap digs into his shoulder patch. I can see what you mean about the coat- I don't like using any sort of acrylic gloss for simulating leather gloss- I prefer to use Future floor polish- the reason being a single coat provides a very subtle sheen- hence you can build up the gloss easily and without overdoing it or simply keep it to a nice subtle gloss for well used and/or dirty and dusty leather equipment.

I think you've nailed the face and skin painting here too and the light blue scarf is a great addition as it adds a nice bit of interest- drawing the eyes up to the face and giving a bit of color to the field grey clothes. I always thing things like a scarf also add a nice bit of personalisation to a figure- it stands out from others but it also, at least for me anyway, gets you thinking about things like maybe his wife gave it to him or things like that- it just always provides that little bit of an extra incentive to think beyond the plastic as it were!

Once again Karl you have posted the best things to notice and say. It always make me feel like I haven't wasted my time as you point out all of the items that I wished to high lite.
I do like adding the odd item to make a fig stand out. The MG sling I did spend a long time on to get just the way I wanted as it is one of my pet peeves about figures. Most of the weapons and slings I see make the heavy metal items look like they are"floating" as they have no feeling of weight on the figure. Same thing with the personal gear as canteens and ammo pouches are pretty heavy when full. When I jumped into Panama in 1989 my web gear was so heavy with ammo water pistol w/ammo and grenades that I could barely lift it with one arm(and I was buff in those days).
I have recently tried a lot more to look at period photos and replicate the way this gear looked in real life.
Thanks buddy,for commenting. It means a lot.
J
smalcastle
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 11:31 AM UTC
when i saw the your figures the only i thought is....
realism
Excellent job Jerry

cheers
Dimitris
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 01:54 AM UTC
[quote]when i saw the your figures the only i thought is....
realism
Excellent job Jerry

cheers
Dimitris[/quote

Wow,thanks Dimitris,
That is the highest praise.
J