Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Vietnam: Trouble in Southeast Asia! II
mojo72
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 07:11 AM UTC
Hi guys

It's good to see a lot of response for the second campaign. I am definitely in with this one, just cannot decided which kit to go for as there are a lot in the attic

regards
dogfish7
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 07:49 AM UTC
I'm a Nam Vet and have a couple to try out.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Armorama: 423 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 09:54 AM UTC
What are the rules concerning part built kits?
I've dug out my M113 Fire Support vehicle tonight to find the hull is partly assembled and turret halves are together. The rest of the kit is still on the sprues. I can post photo's tomorrow to give a better idea of what has been done so far.
I believe that the Centurion also has some initial work done to it, but I'd had to dig that one out to confirm.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 11:26 AM UTC
Excellent, great to see even more joining us!

Bruce, I'm especially glad you can join us and thank you for your service during that time

Stephen, I go on a case-by-case basis. Go ahead and post pics of them both, but knowing you my guess is that your kits will be ok.
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 12:26 PM UTC
I'm signed up, but this time I have the old Tamiya M48A3 on my shelf. I saw some guys do the Patton really nice for the first campaign, and I've been reading about common corrections to the kit.
... Unless something else catches my attention before then.
-Sean H
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 07:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent, great to see even more joining us!

Bruce, I'm especially glad you can join us and thank you for your service during that time

Stephen, I go on a case-by-case basis. Go ahead and post pics of them both, but knowing you my guess is that your kits will be ok.

No worries Jeremy, I wanted to be sure before I committed to anything. I will of course go with whatever decision you make. I have plenty of other kits that would fit the bill nicely.
Here's the M113.

The hull has had the roof and and front plate fitted (total of 4 parts) and the turret halves assembled. I remember know that what put this one on hold was research into the vehicles use in Vietnam and stumbling across several reviews of this kit. Most of the reviews highlighted that its roof was completely wrong, but having already stuck it on there wasn't a fat lot I could do about it Right now I'm just going to go with how it is and pretend blissful ignorance.
Everything else is fine in the bags.

Next up the Centurion.
The hull is partly assembled, turret halves are together as well as a base plate for a figure, suspension units assembled (minus suspension arms), and drive wheels.

Everything else in the box is untouched. There's also a vinyl mantlet cover and figures from Tamiya's Chieftain I plan on using as crew. I also have a box of individual link tracks for it knocking about somewhere. At the time I got this kit, I was also working on Tamiya's Centurion and I had the bright idea of using the vinyl tracks from this one to replace the crappy ones in the Tamiya.

To go with this there's also a couple of sets of Dragon Vietnam era US troops I hope to convert to Australian infantry. It's a pretty ambitious job so its no wonder it stalled for easier projects.
Let me know what you think anyway.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 11:39 AM UTC
Yeah, I'm fine with that Stephen. Check out the BRAVO 6 figures, they are a good reference for what you will need to do to your Dragon figures.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 08:48 AM UTC
Cheers mate.
I've been looking at Bravo-6's SAS figures. I might have to do one at some point. I like the M-60 gunner giving the finger.
My main reference is Osprey's Elite 103 Vietnam Anzac's. It has a lot of great photo's and artwork. From what I can tell equipment for the period I'm interested in (roughly 68-69) was a basic shirt and trousers with Australian made copies of British wartime ammo packs and some other gear with US stuff starting to be more common. Helmets, when worn, were US M1. So easily do-able with what I have in spares and in the kits with some scratching from milliput. Same goes with weapons. SLR's were the norm for squaddies, radiomen typically had an M16 and M60's for that extra firepower. Most were sometimes modified in the field by individuals, although this seems to have been more common in the SAS. The most extreme example I've seen was an SLR with a cutdown barrel (apparently it made a louder bang and was supposed to frighten the VC) with an M203 strapped underneath. Still some homework to do before the start date but I'm off to a good start.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 01:05 PM UTC
Sounds like you pretty much have everything figured out. Will this all be going into a single dio?
dogfish7
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 09:25 PM UTC
I'll be going with this kit.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 07:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like you pretty much have everything figured out. Will this all be going into a single dio?

Just with the Centurion. It would be nice to have both, but I doubt I've got display space to spare for a multi-vehicle diorama and it look wrong to cram them both on a smaller base.

Bruce: Looking forward to seeing the M-48.
DocF225
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 04:01 AM UTC
I'm in. I have two SE Asia Diorama ideas that have finally left the "conceptual" stage and I have begun assembling the requisite components. Both will be eventually added to the "Artwork" area at my AMVETS/American Legion Post meeting place.
North4003
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 04:04 PM UTC
I would like to be in on this one.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 07:39 PM UTC
Stephen: Totally understandable, and really looking forward to that Centurion.

Doc: Sounds great!

Brent: Good to have you with us , any idea what you plan on building yet?
Demchenko
Vendor
BRAVO-6
Visit this Community
Rostov, Russia
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 09:12 PM UTC
Great news, Jeremy!If possible, me and BRAVO-6 will be happy to support Second EA tour. Of course, it`ll be so nice if we can see not only evergreen standards like "Tet-Marines-Hue" or "M113-infantry", but another uncovered pages, for example French Indo-China period or Vietnamese-Chineese war.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 04:12 AM UTC
That would be wonderful Vladi, and thank you again for your support and generosity!

I have extended the historical time period of this campaign to start in 1930 at the requests of some of our fellow modelers, so we should expect to see French and Chinese involvement as well as Japanese and any countries that were involved during WWII. I'm really looking forward to seeing the variety in this campaign!
Marcin80
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 08:43 AM UTC
I've just signed up. This will be my first campaign.
I'm going with M48A3 Patton from Tamiya

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 12:12 PM UTC
Welcome to the campaign Marcin You can't go wrong with an M48A3, a great choice for Vietnam!
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 568 posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 - 02:31 AM UTC
In on this. Took me ages to find the blog Got tons of verlinden nam figures I need to use up.

Pete
IamTJones
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 - 03:15 AM UTC
I enlisted here a while back but never posted. I will probably do something smaller like an m113 since it will be one of my first post ww2 builds.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 - 06:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In on this. Took me ages to find the blog Got tons of verlinden nam figures I need to use up.

Pete

Do you mean this thread? Or something else? Either way, it's good to have you with us, and figures are probably my favorite choice for Vietnam

Tristan: You can't go wrong with an M113! Although the size of the vehicle doesn't really have anything to do with making it an easier build, although the Tamiya one should go together without any real problems. Modeling Vietnam era vehicles isn't really any different than modelling WWII era vehicles, so make sure you choose a build that you really want
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 568 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 - 04:54 AM UTC
Yeah Jeremy this thread. Joined then couldn't find the thread. But here now.

Pete
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 - 06:58 AM UTC
Ok understood, and thanks for letting me know that there isn't a link from the campaign page to here. I contacted admin about it.
mojo72
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 07:11 AM UTC
Hi guys

Some nice choices of kits for the campaign. Again, I would like to say thanks to all of you guys that voted for me in the first campaign, and thanks Ian (AK Interactive) for the prize. I'm sure there'll be plenty in the book to help me to improve my skill

Regards
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 08:34 AM UTC
Ill be doing a diorama of the Battle Of Hue. Using Bravo 6 Tet Marines (AWESOME FIGS!!) and scratchbuilding one of the gates leading into the Citadel.