Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Stalin's Armor Campaign
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 11:56 AM UTC

Okay... help me out here. WHAT is the PE for?

TIA!!

Jeff
3rdArmoredVet
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 12:03 PM UTC
Should be the outer detail of the muzzle brake. Just bend it to the contours of the brake and attach it.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 04:27 PM UTC
Thanks, but I am really dense. Are there any images so I can figure out what to do?

Or, I'll look around on Google and trip over it!

Jeff
3rdArmoredVet
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 05:22 PM UTC
best I could find. notice the raised detail around the vent holes on the side. that's where the PE should lay, as a border of the vent holes of the brake.

PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 09:25 PM UTC
Okay, I get it! Thanks for your help.

I found this also really spells it out: http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/is2/is2-3barrels.html

I just don't get the third element?

So on with the CA! I think a resin piece would have been easier.

Jeff
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 01:16 AM UTC
@ Smokey great job on that little KV i thought it was 1/35 when I first looked at it
I have made some more progress on the KV-8s
As previously stated I skipped over the track, still cleaning them up and moved on to Step 7, fenders are still dry fit
 photo P1080402.jpg
Step 8 was the turret and was broken down into several sub steps this is it completed
 photo P1080404.jpg
There was some fit issues with the vision port covers
 photo P1080398.jpg
And the rest of the PE was used on the MG
 photo P1080408.jpg
Step 9 was the fuel tanks and storage boxes
 photo P1080403.jpg
step 10 was the tow cables
 photo P1080405.jpg
 photo P1080406.jpg
Now before this goes into the primer stage I have to take care of some fit issues with the turret and a question for the KV experts out there
What is this gap on the rear lower portion of the turret It is not shown on the box art
 photo P1080409.jpg
This is the only image I was able to find with that indent

Caption says "KV-1 tank on the market of Rostov-on-Don. The view from the street of Moscow on Budennovsky Ave. Summer - Autumn, 1942."
Not a KV-8s so do I fill it in or leave it
SHAKY962
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 765 posts
Armorama: 438 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 09:02 AM UTC
@SAL: I have the two germans versions of KV´s for another campigns and I don´t have any problems of fittings.......

My advances

PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 01:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

best I could find. notice the raised detail around the vent holes on the side. that's where the PE should lay, as a border of the vent holes of the brake.

Okay, I know how to solder but what should I use? Solid or rosin center?

And what size (wattage) iron is best? A very hot 45?

Jeff
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 02:29 PM UTC
Sal,
Nice work. I like the turret mounted MG. I have a spare MG from my Aerosan build and I might use it on my KV for the Trumpeter Campaign.
Darson
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 10:40 PM UTC
Alright I've finally got the bench clear so it's time to kick off my BT-7 Model 1937.

Apologies for the quality of the photos but I figured for the proof of life shots a mobile phone would be good enough.

3rdArmoredVet
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 11:05 PM UTC
Question: If I finished up my KV-1E as a German capture would it still qualify under the campaign's regulations?
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Question: If I finished up my KV-1E as a German capture would it still qualify under the campaign's regulations?

Smokey I was gonna build a JS1 with a big OKW on the turret and it was approved because at one time it belonged to Stalin
@ Alex thanks the MG came with the kit so being that I am doing a build review of the kit I used it
@ Jose not many fit issues just what I pointed out looking forward to seeing your KV-2 Big Turret in German colors

Well no comments on the indents on the lower rear part of the turret so I primed the beast last night later I will try some pre-shading with some black primer as well
Removed by original poster on 10/26/13 - 14:15:08 (GMT).
3rdArmoredVet
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 05:49 PM UTC
Well it seems Uncle Joe has lost one of his prized KV's to the Nazis. Here is an update on my captured KV-1E now wearing it's initial coat of XF-63 German Grey over the original Russian green. Also removed the original headlight, also creating an unused mount for the old headlight, added the Nodak light and I am using solder to replicate the change to the wiring harness that exits the hull for the horn and light. Mostly everything is together at this stage but the fenders and wheels are all dry fitted and I am still contemplating on whether or not to purchase aftermarket fenders. I have an actual vehicle that I am using for reference and include a pic here.

Shermania
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 01:21 PM UTC
Hi fellas,

There are some really nice builds going on in this campaign. I'm still undecided but in all likelihood this will be my campaign entry.

Picked this up at one of the Local hobby stores red tag a couple of years ago for like $17. Just from looking at it, the kit seems to have some issues but also has some pluses. Hopefully it won't eat up too much bench time with fixes.
cacciacarri
Visit this Community
Rimini, Italy
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 88 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 11:00 PM UTC
Hi guys,
Finally I can start my SU-152.
here some foto:

In the last pictures holes and correction as shown on 'instruction assembly'.
Sorry for the delay I've just finished another campaign Captured vehicle on modellismopiù with this Zvezda SU-100:

best
Antonio
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 - 07:18 AM UTC
Ok guys I primed the KV-8s and sprayed it what I use for Russian Green, I also assembled the left hand side of the treads
 photo P1080420.jpg
Tracks are dry fit as you can see the gap on the lower section
 photo P1080421.jpg
Now on to some detail painting and the other side of the tracks
SHAKY962
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 765 posts
Armorama: 438 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 - 07:24 AM UTC
@Sal:
Nice progress!!!!!!!!!!!

@smokey:
Beautiful proyect!!!!!
clovis899
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 - 04:31 PM UTC
Hey all,
Pedro gave me the heads up about the Campaign so I thought I would throw my build into the mix as well. This is the Orange box T-34-85 from Dragon with included infantry riders. I moved through the build in rapid fire fashion (well, what amounts to rapid fire for me anyway!) The only issue was a slight warping of the left front fender and some tweezers launch of a couple of tiny fittings. Awaiting some paint just now, maybe in a day or two.
Cheers,
Rick

Wheels and tracks are detachable, I built them up as a removable unit.

Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 04:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey all,
Pedro gave me the heads up about the Campaign so I thought I would throw my build into the mix as well. This is the Orange box T-34-85 from Dragon with included infantry riders. I moved through the build in rapid fire fashion (well, what amounts to rapid fire for me anyway!) The only issue was a slight warping of the left front fender and some tweezers launch of a couple of tiny fittings. Awaiting some paint just now, maybe in a day or two.
Cheers,
Rick

Wheels and tracks are detachable, I built them up as a removable unit.

Rick, I joined a day before you did myself:D

I can't believe your T-34 is built already, that's impressive, what's it been, a week? It looks sweet, what is your take on the kit? Did you use CA to speed things up?
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 05:25 AM UTC
Hi everyone !

I'm in with this:

Box

Markings ( will do a JSU-122 )

WIP

Wheel Work

Hull

clovis899
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 07:30 AM UTC
Pedro,

Yes it has been quick, I started on the 18th and finished on the 27th, 9 build sessions of anywhere between 15 minutes and two hours with most at about one hour.
Just a tiny bit of CA to help super saggy tracks hold there shape a bit better and to get the upper hull to hold tight.
The build was very easy, just not to many parts outside of the tracks. The suspension is a real simple affair, road wheels even easier. No PE, so that helped to speed things up. Only issue was the front left mudguard was warped making the attachment of the upper and lower hull a bit of an issue. But I used reverse pressure, CA, and thick Testors glue with a couple of clamps and let it dry for a full day which did the trick.
Detail is a little soft in areas but if you are looking for a quick and easy build this is one to consider.

and who would have ever guessed you would do a Sherman, I am shocked!

Cheers,
Rick
Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pedro,

Yes it has been quick, I started on the 18th and finished on the 27th, 9 build sessions of anywhere between 15 minutes and two hours with most at about one hour.
Just a tiny bit of CA to help super saggy tracks hold there shape a bit better and to get the upper hull to hold tight.
The build was very easy, just not to many parts outside of the tracks. The suspension is a real simple affair, road wheels even easier. No PE, so that helped to speed things up. Only issue was the front left mudguard was warped making the attachment of the upper and lower hull a bit of an issue. But I used reverse pressure, CA, and thick Testors glue with a couple of clamps and let it dry for a full day which did the trick.
Detail is a little soft in areas but if you are looking for a quick and easy build this is one to consider.

and who would have ever guessed you would do a Sherman, I am shocked!

Cheers,
Rick

Rick,

LOL, sorry to shock you like that, thanks for the laugh

I had a couple hours each the last couple of days so I got a little something done on the Ruskie A2. This is one of the simplest DML Sherman kits I've seen yet. It is older and requires some tweaks as is customary with the DML shermans. The turret needed some work as I had to build up the lower portion of the molding per Steve Zaloga's instructions in his book. I've also added the correct sized FDA covers on the sides as the kit provided ones are woefully small. I have been using more CA than normal to speed up the building process. so far, I've been impressed with the kit tracks and will be sticking with those. The barrel is from my M4A3 premium kit which came with three different versions and I snatched the MB one for this build. the aluminum kit barrel is really short and will be modifying it to use on a 75mm tank some time in the future. other mods besides the turret and the FDA covers include transmission bolts to the side of the lower hull, shortening the rear extensions to get the proper fit on the lower/upper hulls, TWS dished roadwheels, and other small details like adding the missing spare track holders in the back from my spares box etc.

here are a couple pics:

Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 08:32 AM UTC
Good evening!

I thought I'd chime in with yet another JS3 from Tamiya. Started just a couple of days ago and only now found the campaign is going on perfectly suited for this beast.

So far I have only glued the suspension arms and half of the wheels together and although it is a very simple model I think that she is still less than 50% done. I'll convert her to a production model using Eduards PE stowage boxes.

Still haven't decided on the setting and paint scheme for this one. Definitely in green but I dont know if I'll use some of the markings from the box or if I'll use no markings at all for a tank used in 1956 in Hungary.

Best regards,
Greg
Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 06:09 AM UTC
so for the last three nights in a row I've gotten a 2 hour chunk of uninterrupted bench time and this thing is just flying together. In part because I'm going with a more OOTB approach for this one and also because its perhaps the easiest DML Sherman to build aside from the #6048 M4A1 kit which is also pretty simple to put together. Improvements are minor details to the front of the turret, sand shield mounting brackets, from spares I found FDA covers that fit, the missing spare track holders, a barrel from my M4A3 premium kit, a set of PE mud guards from the spares bin, and some TWS dish wheels which have been collecting dust for some time. I went with the kit tracks and they look decent although the teeth on the end connectors are ridiculously small. It's not done yet but getting there quickly. This is almost a Tamiya quick build type thing.

For paint I'm going with OD and the markings that the 2nd guards painted on the turrets for areal recognition purposes as they prepared to attack Berlin. I'm a sucker for those nice white crosses on the turret and white bands around the turret. The kit doesn't come with this marking setup, so I'm going to improvise here as there were Shermans painted this way, but I've yet to see a photo of one.