Armor/AFV: Canadian Armor
Discuss all types of Canadian Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Riich Models RV35011
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 08:20 AM UTC
So Mike what's next on your out of the box builds??? Yeah right !!

Congrats on your build , I really like your style...This one should do well on the show circuit..

All the best
Rick
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 11:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So Mike what's next on your out of the box builds??? Yeah right !!

Congrats on your build , I really like your style...This one should do well on the show circuit..

All the best
Rick

Hi Rick,

LOL! Looks like I'll never live down this "out of the box" thing!

I do have a pretty involved project planned for my next build, and I hope to get started and have some stuff posted up here on Armorama in a few weeks. Hopefully, if you see it you'll find it interesting enough to check it out every now and again.

I appreciate your comments and the props about this vignette, though.

In regards to shows and contests, I'll probably take this vignette to the 2014 AMPS Regional in Atlanta, GA in February and put it in the "display only" area. I'll almost certainly take it to the 2014 AMPS International Show and Convention in April in Fred-burg, VA, but it'll go into the Masters category there and not one of the regular categories. But that's about it for the "show circuit."

Except for AMPS, I don't enter my work for judging anymore. I still appreciate the AMPS scoring and written feedback, so that's why I exhibit a those shows, but that's all for me nowadays.

I pretty much just build what I want the way I want and don't worry about the competition side of things. Unfortunately, very few local contests offer any "display only" table space, so I don't exhibit my models too often in public.

Happy modeling!
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 03:50 PM UTC
Looking forward to seeing this one in Atlanta Mike. Very well done.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 12:56 AM UTC
Excellent fit and finish Mike. I can't wait to run my light and pointer over it

As indicated it has to be Southern Italy, they are going downhill at the bottom of the map eh!

Brilliant display of the engine plate and good choice when choosing the size of the little retaining bolts as they do not distract from the information...

Great composition and positioning that comes together beautifully here...

Yet another stunner for all to drool over at the next show you choose to enter.....

Thank's for all the help and tips as this was put together....

So what's next 'Out of the Box' Sir? The year is not over yet

Keith.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 03:07 AM UTC
@ Jesse: Thanks. I'll be good to see you and catch up on things. BTW: What are you working on these days? I haven't seen any posts from you lately. Am I missing something or have you had to take a break from building?

See ya in Atlanta!

@ Keith: As always, thanks for all the kind words, Keith!

Quoted Text

So what's next 'Out of the Box' Sir? The year is not over yet.

Et tu, Keith!?

Well, I have just about enough time left in the year for a Snap-tite kit with peal-n-stick decals - maybe...

In the mean time, I think I'll drive down to the hobby shop one day this week and give you an excuse for not doing any work.

Happy modeling!
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 04:43 AM UTC
Mike this has been a great blog to follow along, I've been one of those quietly sitting in the corner as I'm normally a wing'ed thing builder on Aeroscale but I have a passion for the carrier.

I just picked up one of these kits along with a Resicast T16. If mine come out half as good as yours I'll be happy. In the meantime I have a little project with 23 different carriers in 1/76.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 05:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike this has been a great blog to follow along, I've been one of those quietly sitting in the corner as I'm normally a wing'ed thing builder on Aeroscale but I have a passion for the carrier.

I just picked up one of these kits along with a Resicast T16. If mine come out half as good as yours I'll be happy. In the meantime I have a little project with 23 different carriers in 1/76.

Hi Luciano,

I'm glad you followed along with the build and found it interesting. Thanks for the kind words.

As I understand things, the Riich Models Universal Carrier owes quite a lot of its accuracy and fidelity to detail to Mr. George Moore. Mr. Moore is also the guy who mastered the Resicast T16 (along with a lot of their other offerings).

If you haven't already checked it out, Mr. Moore has a website and one if its pages features a brief write up on how he mastered the T16:

Moore's Military Models::Mastering the T16

In the meantime, Happy Modeling with your regiment of 76th scale carriers!
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Jesse: Thanks. I'll be good to see you and catch up on things. BTW: What are you working on these days? I haven't seen any posts from you lately. Am I missing something or have you had to take a break from building?

See ya in Atlanta!

I've been on a modeling break since ~July, and only until recently got back to the bench.

I should be posting something in the next couple of days.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 12:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Keith: As always, thanks for all the kind words, Keith!

Quoted Text

So what's next 'Out of the Box' Sir? The year is not over yet.

Et tu, Keith!?

Well, I have just about enough time left in the year for a Snap-tite kit with peal-n-stick decals - maybe...

In the mean time, I think I'll drive down to the hobby shop one day this week and give you an excuse for not doing any work.

Happy modeling!

Always a delight to see you enter the store Mike, makes me feel wanted

If it isn't raining perhaps you can bring the 'Wee Beastie' with you (the model of course)...

Keith.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 04:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If it isn't raining perhaps you can bring the 'Wee Beastie' with you (the model of course)...

Keith.

LOL! I won't tell you what Sheila said when she read that comment about the "Wee Beastie"!

I'll see you down at the shop sometime this week, and I'll be sure to bring along the model (of course!).
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 12:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Keith.

LOL! I won't tell you what Sheila said when she read that comment about the "Wee Beastie"!

I'll see you down at the shop sometime this week, and I'll be sure to bring along the model (of course!).

You don't have to say anything... my ears burst into flames

I look forward to the visit.

Keith.
errains
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 02:02 AM UTC
Truly Inspirational!!!

Another masterpiece Mike and I just LOVE the over all display, Most Excellent!
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 03:00 AM UTC
I'd like to have that kit just for the lil Flathead V8!

I think I'm going to cut back on modeling and just build the engines out of these new kits LOL
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 11:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Truly Inspirational!!!

Thanks, Eric! I appreciate the kind words, indeed.

Hope to catch up to you at the Atlanta AMPS Regional in February or the "Big Show" in Fred-burg in April!

Quoted Text

I think I'm going to cut back on modeling and just build the engines out of these new kits LOL

I know what you mean, John! Great detail and engineering on all the kit details with this little gem.

Honestly, though, if the engine had been something other than the Ford product, which so many folks are familiar with, I might have seriously considered closing up the engine compartment.

However, everybody in my neck of the woods can relate to a "Ford V8" and the idea of a Commonwealth armored vehicle powered by a good ol' American design was pretty intriguing. I really thought it was worth the effort to show the engine off and emphasize a little known connection between US industry and our Allies.

Merry Christmas to both of ya!
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 12:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Truly Inspirational!!!

Thanks, Eric! I appreciate the kind words, indeed.

Hope to catch up to you at the Atlanta AMPS Regional in February or the "Big Show" in Fred-burg in April!

Quoted Text

I know what you mean, John! Great detail and engineering on all the kit details with this little gem.

Honestly, though, if the engine had been something other than the Ford product, which so many folks are familiar with, I might have seriously considered closing up the engine compartment.

However, everybody in my neck of the woods can relate to a "Ford V8" and the idea of a Commonwealth armored vehicle powered by a good ol' American design was pretty intriguing. I really thought it was worth the effort to show the engine off and emphasize a little known connection between US industry and our Allies.

Merry Christmas to both of ya!

Mike.
I hope father Christmas brought you a lap full of joy this year and thank you for bringing your model in to the store for me to scrutinize.

Above all, many thanks for NOT going ballistic when my pointer (pen) marked the road surface, I do feel really bad about that....

A supurb build and presentation, made even better (almost impossible) when it is actually in front of you.

Looking forward to following your next 'effort' that you seem to cruise through at lightning speed..

Keith.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 02:30 PM UTC
Thanks, Keith!

I always enjoy getting down to the store and keeping you from your work!

In regards to the "Pen-pointer Incident" - No worries, I'll recover and all will be right in short order.

Well, you know what I have in the works for my next big project, but no telling - OPSEC and all that, you know!

But before I can get stuck in with that build, I have to finish rearranging my work room. Hopefully I'll have all that finished by the end of January.

Just to keep me busy, though, I do have one of Arsenal 35's new Commonwealth Bren Gunner figures to paint.

The sculpting looks very nice, and I think it'll be a lot of fun to paint. The figure comes with two heads, one with a Balmoral Bonnet, and so I think I'm going to paint him up as gunner from the 9th Canadian Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division - The North Nova Scotia Highlanders (the regiment my father-in-law served with in North West Europe).

If all goes well, I'll have him finished in time for the February AMPS show in Atlanta.

Happy modeling and Happy New Year!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 02:47 AM UTC
I have to weigh in once more over how awesome this turned out. I am not surprised as your stuff is always good but this one really caught my eye more than most. Maybe because I am getting more interested in Commonwealth subjects myself?
Gret job.
I was actually thinking of getting down to the AMPs show but how the heck do you carry a dio on the plane without it getting trashed?
J
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 03:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to weigh in once more over how awesome this turned out. I am not surprised as your stuff is always good but this one really caught my eye more than most. Maybe because I am getting more interested in Commonwealth subjects myself?
Gret job.
I was actually thinking of getting down to the AMPs show but how the heck do you carry a dio on the plane without it getting trashed?
J

Thanks again for the props, Jerry. I do appreciate the kind words and knowing that you're checking in. It's nice to keep up with old friends even if we have to do it "virtually" over the internet!

I wish I could offer up some good ideas about carrying a dio on a plane. Aside from the obvious - wanting to hand carry it as carry-on and not checked luggage - I really have no idea how to go about doing that. Maybe the airlines would work with you in regards to the carry-on issue and I guess it's possible that TSA has some sort of special screening that you could request so your dio wouldn't have to be shoved through a metal detector.

I donno, tho...

Heck, I have enough trouble just trying to transport my models in a car! I think they'd have to tranquilize me before I could try to fly with one of them - LOL!

However, if you wanted to drive down to the Atlanta AMPS, I could offer you and a guest a place in SC (not far off of I-77 or I-20) to RON enroute to/from and a follow-up offer to convoy with us.

The AMPS International Show in Fredericksburg, VA might be doable in a single march from PA, though. That's what I'll do from SC - Make the drive up in a single movement.

Anyways, thanks again for following along with this build and all of your comments and observations!

Have a Happy Modeling New Year!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 04:48 AM UTC
Well thankee for the kind offer of hospitality. I think the one in Virginny looks a lot more doable model-wise. I could make it there in about 3 hours I think. Prolly stay overnight and see a little of the area. Lots of Civil War sites around them parts.
Time frame?
J
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well thankee for the kind offer of hospitality. I think the one in Virginny looks a lot more doable model-wise. I could make it there in about 3 hours I think. Prolly stay overnight and see a little of the area. Lots of Civil War sites around them parts.
Time frame?
J

Any time, ol' buddy. You have a standing invite at la casa Roof.

IRT the AMPS International show in Fred-burg, the dates are 03-05 April, 2014.

Here's the AMPS home page. Scroll down to message about the "big show."

AMPS Home Page

Here's the convention page with the daily agenda listed:

AMPS 2014 International Convention Page

Hope to see ya there!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 04:33 AM UTC
Guess I came to the party late (party's over!). Great job, as per previous comments. My question is: did this version have no towing pintle at all? I notice only a couple of chains hanging with hooks. I have this kit (unbuilt) and was going to buy a six pounder to tow behind. Will I not be able to do that with this kit?
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guess I came to the party late (party's over!). Great job, as per previous comments. My question is: did this version have no towing pintle at all? I notice only a couple of chains hanging with hooks. I have this kit (unbuilt) and was going to buy a six pounder to tow behind. Will I not be able to do that with this kit?

Hi Biggles-

I appreciate the kind sentiments.

In regards to the towing pintle: The UC Mk.I did not have any factory provision for towing. I suspect that the reason why UC Mk.I didn't have a factory towing fixture was that there were dedicated tracked towing vehicles (T-16 and Dragon) and the UC was intended for other purposes.

The Mk.II carrier had its stowage rearranged and the quarter-elliptic leaf spring mounted Commonwealth type towing hook was added to its rear among many other modifications.

There was a major rework program for the UC Mk.I to bring it up to the Mk.II standard before D-day, but this was not universally accomplished (no pun intended!), and some un-reworked Mk.I's made it to NWE after D-day. I've never seen a picture of one of the un-reworked Mk.I's with the towing fixture, though. The reworked Mk.I's were virtually indistinguishable from the standard Mk.II.

Riich's new Universal Carrier Mk.II kit has all of the correct modifications, to include the rear towing fixture. That kit would be my first choice to do what you plan.

An alternative might be to "rework" the Riich Mk.I to Mk.II standards. The old Tamiya Universal Carrier kit is the Mk.II version and presumably has all of the extra parts that could be added to the Riich kit. Those Tamiya kits are starting to turn up at model show vendors for dirt cheap.

There would still be some pretty significant work, though, starting with replacing the wooden rails on the top edges of the crew compartment with round metal pipe and some other more difficult changes.

The "path of least resistance" would be to use the new Riich Mk.II.

Good luck with your build and have a Happy Modeling New Year!
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 06:11 PM UTC
To all of my Armorama friends, both real-world and “virtual:”

It with a heavy heart and much sadness that I must say to you all that as of today I can no longer, in good conscious, remain a member and active participant here on Armorama or any other KitMaker Net site.

For many years, I have enjoyed my time here on Armorama. I have spent countless hours sharing my own builds and works with you, my friends. Over many hundreds of hours, I have tried to repay the debt I owe to modeling by sharing my techniques and methods while also answering questions. My intent has always been to try to help others to achieve their own modeling goals and to realize their own modeling potential. Through it all, I have tried to remain civil and respectful – To disagree without being disagreeable and to always be tactful. I think that in the main, I was able to do these things.

I have especially enjoyed viewing and commenting on the works that you, my friends, have taken the time to share. It is this interaction and social contact with you that I will miss the most.

Unfortunately, two recent incidents here by one of the official staff members have made Armorama a place where I cannot remain. Many of you may be aware of these two threads started by staff member Kevin Brandt, aka: SgtRam:

Armorama::Armor/AFV::Ode to Rivet Counters

Track_Link::General and Site News::Just Curious

Although I was willing to overlook the first of these threads as a momentary lapse of judgement and civility, when Brandt pursued the targets of his vicious personal attack to another forum, I could no longer rationalize nor passively accept and condone his behaviors and actions.

As an official member of the staff here on Armorama, Brandt holds a position of responsibility and represents both the site and its publisher. His behaviors are no longer the acts of a lone, anonymous internet voice; they become an extension of Armorama and its publisher. It does not matter that he (or anyone else) performs his functions here as a volunteer. As a staff member, he, his actions and his behaviors are inseparable from Armorama.

I sent PMs and emails to some of the staff and the publisher to protest Brandt’s behaviors and to ask that the publisher, Jim Starkweather, aka: staff_jim, take responsibility for Brandt’s actions. Unfortunately, my protests fell on deaf ears.

You may read Starkweather’s open reply here:

Armorama::Site Talk::staff_jim post

We are all judged, to some extent, by the company we keep, and at the time of my protest, it was my intention to simply cease any participation on any threads or topics that Brandt started or posted to. That intention, however, has shown itself to be impractical. I cannot separate the staff member from the site.

The real issue here is one of personal and corporate responsibility and civility. As long as the publisher refuses to take responsibility for his staff members, or as long as Brandt refuses to accept and show remorse for his own actions, Armorama is a site that condones and supports such behaviors.

To remain here, to continue to participate and contribute to this site’s content, is to effectively lend my own support and endorsement to what Brandt did and said. My personal ethic will not allow me to do so.

I suppose the possibility remains that the publisher, Jim Starkweather, and or staff member, Kevin Brandt, will do the right thing. It is possible that one day they might take responsibility for Brandt’s behavior and demonstrate some remorse by publically apologizing to Kurt Laughlin and Christophe Jacquemont for Brandt’s aggressive and viscous personal attacks on them. Accepting responsibility and apologizing would do much to restore this site’s reputation and establish some reasonable boundaries for civil behavior by all.

However, unless and until that day happens, I am afraid that I must bid you, my friends, farewell and…

Happy modeling!

Mike Roof, aka: SdAufKla
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 06:58 PM UTC
To everyone here on Armorama...keep these thoughts in mind when expressing yourself...no matter who you are or how and why you come here...

"...Humility is the true key to success. Successful people lose their way at times. They often embrace and overindulge from the fruits of success. Humility halts this arrogance and self-indulging trap. Humble people share the credit and wealth, remaining focused and hungry to continue the journey of success"...

Rick Pitino, Louisville Coach

- or -

...“The pleasure of criticizing takes away from us the pleasure of being moved by some very fine things"...

Jean de La Bruyère, French philosopher and moralist, 1645-1696.

And just one more modern day application..."the empty can makes the biggest noise"...

My father, 1930-1996

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 09:43 PM UTC
Mike, I'm not quite sure why Jim is responsible for the actions of a staff member who abruptly quit after his thread got out-of-hand.

Kevin is entitled to his opinions. Whether or not they were well- or poorly-expressed is a matter of conjecture. I'm sure I could have taken offense at his post, since I am a self-described rivet counter. All I can say is that I don't let what others, here or at shows or clubs, determine who I am or how I feel about myself.

I would urge you to take some time off and let this pass over, then bring your considerable modeling skills back to our community. To my knowledge, none of this was directed specifically at you to begin with. As to what transpired, my philosophy about Internet food fights is:

"Don't mud wrestle with a pig: you can't win and the pig likes it."

I don't mean Kevin in particular (whom I barely know), but online "enemies" real or perceived.