Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Operation Fall Gelb 1940 Campaign
petermade
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 06:15 AM UTC
Evening all,

The Sdkfz 231 is getting shape.
Here are some pictures of the basic paint job. Still got a lot to do, but the first steps are taken.

Peter
Darson
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 04:46 PM UTC
The 231 is looking really good Peter, nice work.
ZAPanzer
Visit this Community
North-West, South Africa
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hi Guys I'm in. Just got my Mk IV Ausf D
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 07:04 AM UTC
Some work on the small Zvezda,

panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 10:53 AM UTC
John:

Looking like some progress being made! Starts looking panzer-like when you get running-gear on

Soon as I hit this stage, constructive work generally pauses while I regress to drive my plastic panzer-hull around the bench! You know, testing to see whether that little Krupp boxer engine has been hooked up right and finding whether those shop-trainees actually mounted all those wheels correctly! "Varrooom! Putt putt putt - squeal!" "OK. Whew! It works as advertised. I'm all good now - time to get back to work!"

More in a serious tone... IF you have not cemented those idlers in place yet... you can do a simple but pretty substantial fix-up on them... The idlers look pretty nice from the side, but have solid rims. These idlers did not have a solid rim, but rather there were two thin parallel rims - inner side and outer side - with a gap between them. Easy to create by taking your thin saw and sawing through around the wheel rim from the track-contact face and creating the gap between the sides. This actually is pretty visible on the build, so... Google the Panzer I-B and take a look at idlers in pics. Newer Dragon kits have done an OK job on these idlers.

Bob
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 12:33 PM UTC

Bob with so many builds I don't have free space to drive my little panzer around the bench , I need to build an aircraft so I can fly them around a bit ... VROUAAA

Anyway here's what I've found so far,

not much here,

but it's getting better

Here's a nice shot,

Some more photos,

nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 12:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Soon as I hit this stage, constructive work generally pauses while I regress to drive my plastic panzer-hull around the bench! You know, testing to see whether that little Krupp boxer engine has been hooked up right and finding whether those shop-trainees actually mounted all those wheels correctly! "Varrooom! Putt putt putt - squeal!" "OK. Whew! It works as advertised. I'm all good now - time to get back to work!"

And it´s always improtant to test the recoil system on guns the same way, how can you be shure everything works as it should

No real progress on my R35, but I started with the figures. I´m currently waiting for a Lifecolor set, as I thought replacing all my needed (and of course dryed in) Revell enamels wouldn´t have been much cheaper...

and I´m also trying to invest more time in my figures, so I spend the whole evening just with painting personal equipment for two guys, but haven´t completed anything
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 04:28 PM UTC
@Fabian;

Yeah - You are so right - you gotta check the function of those recoil buffers and stuff, too!

@John;

Your pics - at least a couple of them - show the idler form pretty well. There were a couple of idler types in use. Interestingly, you posted a pic showing the "other" idler version! In both versions, the rim is split - again, something easy to address in your kit. Your posted "Kleiner" pics both have the idler you (and I) have, and which is very nicely detailed in the "Toadman" pic in the second link I've posted below.

Terry Ashley at PMMS got onto this issue of 1-B kit idler wheels pretty early on, looking at the earlier Dragon I-B based kits (which had these solid-rim idlers)

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/dragon/dr6218.htm

http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/panzer_i_ausf.b_13.jpg

While over looking at the "Toadmanstanks" pictures, you can check out those bogie-unit details I mentioned earlier...!

And yes, do some thinning on those various aspects of those idlers! They are pretty thickly-molded.

All this panzer I-B discussion has caused me to go pull out and do some work on a couple of Dragon I-B types I've had resting on the shelf for a couple years!

Bob
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 04:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

All this panzer I-B discussion has caused me to go pull out and do some work on a couple of Dragon I-B types I've had resting on the shelf for a couple years!

Bob

Now it's my fault ..
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 05:39 PM UTC
Yeah! Go ahead! Just bask and wallow in guilt and blame!

I'll still get those old shelf-Q going! It'll be a sort of race... I think mine are still a bit further along than yours, so I could claim to have some sort of lead... but you are getting places a lot faster than I am! It's too much of that playing around between doing any actual work that gets me! Vrrroooom!

Just to make sure that we are not getting confused... your nice, color close-up pic of an idler is of a Pz IV idler - also a split-rim design, but doesn't count for our Pz I-B idler discussion!

Bob
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 01:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just to make sure that we are not getting confused... your nice, color close-up pic of an idler is of a Pz IV idler - also a split-rim design, but doesn't count for our Pz I-B idler discussion!

Bob

Of course, it's a sub-discussion, on the overall, usually underrated idler discussion, we decided to focus ours on the little Panzer I B idler

Wilso2276
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 09:29 AM UTC
Hi guys/girls. I am in with this campaign. After receiving money from the mother in law for my birthday, I picked up an M151A2, a Swimmwagen and a Kubelwagen.

I plan on building the Kubelwagen for this campaign.

This will be my first build of an Italeria kit, so any helpful tips with their models would be greatly appreciated
pablo_g
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 529 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 11:19 AM UTC
Hello Gentlemen,
I'm going to build a model Sd.Kfz. 10/4 with Flak 30 from Ghost Division. I found the web a few interesting pictures of this vehicle so I have inspiration. Let's get to work. I hope that there will be a tragedy for the construction. A few months ago I built Demag with Pak 38 and some worked very hard but see how it goes. The main thing is to not alienate.

Paweł
Darson
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 03:24 PM UTC
Welcome aboard Pawel.
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 08:55 PM UTC
Nice choice Paweł,
this kit spend several years on my whishlist, but somehow i never got it...

gonna be interresting what you´re aiming for, which Ghosts are you going for? Rommels 7PD. or the 11.PD?
pablo_g
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 10:50 PM UTC
I'll make him in Rommel's 7 PD camo. I would like to do in the future, all available versions Demag.I really like this vehicle.

Paweł
Wilso2276
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 11:42 AM UTC
Okay, now for an update. After building so many tanks, this is my first wheeled vehicle in a long time, and being a two seater car, really, really small.

Here is some progress photos of my Kubelwagen. So far the Italeria build has been of good, if not fantastic, quality, with most parts fitting with not alot of re-engineering required.

Front and rear seat and engine cover are in. Gear lever, Handbrake, and pedals are in.

And the Bonnet, suspension and wheels are on

The body colour is just the undercoat. Vehicle is yet to go to the paint booth for final coats
Wilso2276
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 01:28 PM UTC
Four seater sorry , that normal only carried two personnel.

I think I need another
pablo_g
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 02:37 AM UTC
It looks cool that your kubelwagen, also built it once but in Africa Corps camouflage. Very nice to remember him.

Paweł
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 01:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll make him in Rommel's 7 PD camo. I would like to do in the future, all available versions Demag.I really like this vehicle.

Paweł

Quite a multi purpose thing, and quite often to see in the Wochenschau, hence there is a lot of inspriation...
I´ve got the base version by Revell, must be at least 70% the same kit...

I´ve got half of the cammo on, I somehow messed up with the painting instructions and assumed the wrong base color, and ha to change plans, but that saved me from brushpainting

I think i´ll wait with the black lines till the end, cause I think thinners and washes will mess up with the black finliner i´m planing to use...
pablo_g
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2014 - 09:27 AM UTC
Hello,
Here are some photos of the progress at my Demag.

So far is good, I had to rework some parts inside, since those supplied were crude and other than in the original.

Unfortunately, I removed some of the photos from Picasa, and disappeared from the previous posts.

Paweł
Wilso2276
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2014 - 05:27 PM UTC
Looking good there Pablo_g

I think I will have to include one or two of those into my collection.
Wilso2276
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 01:49 PM UTC
Well with more building under the belt, the Kubelwagen is ready for final touch ups and paint. Then to work out how I am going to situate it. And of course the decal/markings to be applied as well.

pablo_g
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 09:59 PM UTC
Thanks Brad, your Kubelwagen also looks great , but i think you should paint frame of the windscreen.

Paweł
Wilso2276
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:15 PM UTC
Thanks pablo. I agree about the windscreen frame. That will be getting the paint works conducted with the final paint job.