Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Operation Fall Gelb 1940 Campaign
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 12:47 AM UTC
Karl,

Ah, I get it! Duh!

My concern is to make sure everyone knows that if you do more than one model (as some do in long campaigns), you only get one ribbon. Perhaps if you add the phrase "but only one ribbon per modeler" to the end, you'll cover both bases. Of course, anyone who does KitMaker campaigns as a living, like I seem to, will know that already.

Anyway, cracking campaign idea, thanks for suggesting it and getting it running!

Michael
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 02:54 PM UTC
Campaign ribbon done and up. Took me ages to work out how to make it small enough...lol. Michael, any ideas how to edit the campaign rules. I wanted to add the bit about one ribbon but can't work out how to do it?
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 04:12 PM UTC
Karl,

As campaign administrator when you go to the page for the campaign you should see, way up in the top left, Admin:[edit]. Just click on the word "edit" and it should take you to a screen where you can edit rules, etc.

HTH

Michael
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 07:08 PM UTC
Michael, many thanks. It is tucked away!
Snorri23
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
Armorama: 261 posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2013 - 05:34 PM UTC
I am in with a Dragon StuG A should fit the bill. panzer anthrocite grey with brown. This build should be barrels fo fun.
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 07:20 PM UTC
Found this site while looking for German early war uniform reference pics. Not what I was after but a superb reference site for field gear, webbing etc. In fact it pretty much covers all equipment carried by the infantry and it's all in colour so a brilliant colour reference. Hope it's of use to someone
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 07:21 PM UTC
http://www.mp44.nl/main_index.htm
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 03:26 AM UTC
The stockpiling has started and I've had a rummage through the stash...lol. I found some useful documentaries on You Tube called German War Files.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lw5kcvCKEc

There's a pile of them and most of the footage I'd never seen before as it's all stuff pulled from the Bundesarchiv. Have a look and see what you think.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 04:51 AM UTC
This isn't an ad, I don't work for them or anything; but I thought it was timely and you all should know about it:

http://adhpublishing.com/shop/store/products/case-yellow-german-armour-in-the-invasion-of-france-1940/

Looks interesting and certainly on topic!

Michael
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 07:09 AM UTC
Karl, Thanks for the You Tube link ! The factory scenes were great and answered some building and maintenance questions. Almost made me late for work too !
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 07:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am in with a Dragon StuG A should fit the bill. panzer anthrocite grey with brown. This build should be barrels fo fun.

I accept your StuG A and raise you a Char B1 Bis. That should test my (as yet) non-existent handpainting skills

I'm looking forward to starting this one, have unfinished business with a Jagdtiger in Panzers Return though.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 09:31 AM UTC
Maybe,I just picked up a Dragon Pz.kpfw(t)Ausf G with an interior I would like to try out.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This isn't an ad, I don't work for them or anything; but I thought it was timely and you all should know about it:

http://adhpublishing.com/shop/store/products/case-yellow-german-armour-in-the-invasion-of-france-1940/

Looks interesting and certainly on topic!

Michael

Great link there Michael I did Google search and was able to find a downloadable pdf of the book
I picked up this Dragon PzIV Aucf. C for this campaign

Just dont know when I will be able to start Im a little behind on my building
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 03:27 PM UTC
Anthony C.;

Quoted Text

Maybe,I just picked up a Dragon Pz.kpfw(t)Ausf G with an interior I would like to try out.

Uh oh!

Sadly, I must give a "wet-blanket incoming!" warning!

That Dragon 38(t) G kit is, IMHO, a super nice kit and a cool subject (I'm a 38(t) fan ), but, alas, NOT right for "Fall Gelb"!

The 38(t) ausf G only came out from late SEP or early OCT 1941, so missed Fall Gelb by more than a year...

There were indeed several hundred 38(t) in Fall Gelb - all were ausf A - D tanks - the 38(t) versions which had that stepped driver's front plate - not the "flat face" that the later E, F, S, and G tanks had. No flat-face 38(t) before NOV 1940.

So.... IF you want a legit "Fall Gelb 38" in 1/35 styrene - you are pretty much limited to doing either the elderly Maquette B kit, or one of the two super nice (IMHO) Tristar B kits. I HIGHLY recommend the Tristar kits, having built some. Kit 026 is the B without interior. Kit 039 is the B with complete inners. VERY cool. Tristar's B kits allow you to build a gun-tank, or a Pz.BefehlsWagen version (Perhaps also the Maquette kit does, but I don't know about that kit).

Note that ausf A, B, C, and D all looked very similar and shared the key visible feature of that stepped front plate. Differences were largely pretty small details - so you can build a fairly good A, C, or D from a B kit with some detail work.

Go grab a "B" kit and jump in with it!

Bob
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 11:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anthony C.;

Quoted Text

Uh oh!

Sadly, I must give a "wet-blanket incoming!" warning!

That Dragon 38(t) G kit is, IMHO, a super nice kit and a cool subject (I'm a 38(t) fan ), but, alas, NOT right for "Fall Gelb"!

The 38(t) ausf G only came out from late SEP or early OCT 1941, so missed Fall Gelb by more than a year...

There were indeed several hundred 38(t) in Fall Gelb - all were ausf A - D tanks - the 38(t) versions which had that stepped driver's front plate - not the "flat face" that the later E, F, S, and G tanks had. No flat-face 38(t) before NOV 1940.

So.... IF you want a legit "Fall Gelb 38" in 1/35 styrene - you are pretty much limited to doing either the elderly Maquette B kit, or one of the two super nice (IMHO) Tristar B kits. I HIGHLY recommend the Tristar kits, having built some. Kit 026 is the B without interior. Kit 039 is the B with complete inners. VERY cool. Tristar's B kits allow you to build a gun-tank, or a Pz.BefehlsWagen version (Perhaps also the Maquette kit does, but I don't know about that kit).

Note that ausf A, B, C, and D all looked very similar and shared the key visible feature of that stepped front plate. Differences were largely pretty small details - so you can build a fairly good A, C, or D from a B kit with some detail work.

Go grab a "B" kit and jump in with it!

Bob

thanks for the info,I guess I have a bit of time to cme up with an alternative
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 04:23 AM UTC
Anthony C.;

Long as you are looking and thinking "alternatives"...

Take a look at the recent Academy Pz. 35(t) kit - it's all new-tool, the build-up shots look pretty decent, and (attractive to me ) it is pretty darned CHEAP - I see them on the evilbay getting shipped to the door for about 27 USD - a hard price to beat for a fair 1/35 tank kit at my door, IMO!

Oh, and the Pz.35(t) figured prominently in Fall Gelb.

Just a thought

Bob
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 11:24 AM UTC
I'm in with one of these:

Panzerbefehlswagen 35(t) , from CMK Upgraded Kit

or Dragon's

panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 12:39 PM UTC
John;

Don't know anything about that CMK Pz.35(t) kit (other than the subject would be very appropriate for Fall Gelb!), but that Dragon "Kleiner" kit is, in my book, both a cool subject and a nice kit - chock full of options and lots of good detail and mostly a good build.

I actually have one mostly done (maybe a good candidate for that "unfinished business Campaign" - it has been a fun, if somewhat looong, build experience. Why so looong? a guy might ask... ) Turns out that there are indeed a lot of options available in the kit - add-on armor, antenna, rear box, etc. It can get a bit confusing, as of course Dragon is not good with telling one which combination of optional bits fits when and in which theater.... and I wanted also to fix other stuff about the kit... so...!

The SdKfz 265 PzBefWgn I-B did indeed serve in Fall Gelb - (and in Poland, the Balkans, Greece, north Africa, Russia, etc.) - and it went through various detail changes and mods (All of the versions in the pictured kit are post-Poland types - the Kleiner in Poland sometimes still came without the top cupola - another Dragon kit captures that earlier version very well...). Some of which come in the kit. So, what I am saying is: I would heartily recommend it as a good kit of a good Fall Gelb subject, but DO the homework - look at photos - if you want to get near to doing up one which actually did serve in F-G in 1940!

Cheers!

Bob
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 01:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

John;

Don't know anything about that CMK Pz.35(t) kit (other than the subject would be very appropriate for Fall Gelb!), but that Dragon "Kleiner" kit is, in my book, both a cool subject and a nice kit - chock full of options and lots of good detail and mostly a good build.

I actually have one mostly done (maybe a good candidate for that "unfinished business Campaign" - it has been a fun, if somewhat looong, build experience. Why so looong? a guy might ask... ) Turns out that there are indeed a lot of options available in the kit - add-on armor, antenna, rear box, etc. It can get a bit confusing, as of course Dragon is not good with telling one which combination of optional bits fits when and in which theater.... and I wanted also to fix other stuff about the kit... so...!

The SdKfz 265 PzBefWgn I-B did indeed serve in Fall Gelb - (and in Poland, the Balkans, Greece, north Africa, Russia, etc.) - and it went through various detail changes and mods (All of the versions in the pictured kit are post-Poland types - the Kleiner in Poland sometimes still came without the top cupola - another Dragon kit captures that earlier version very well...). Some of which come in the kit. So, what I am saying is: I would heartily recommend it as a good kit of a good Fall Gelb subject, but DO the homework - look at photos - if you want to get near to doing up one which actually did serve in F-G in 1940!

Cheers!

Bob

Thanks Bob !!!
Very useful info.

the CMK kit, has terrible tracks and running gear.

Sometimes Dragon really doesn't make it easy for us..

Maybe one of these... damn so many choices

Do you have any photo's of your build ?
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 01:51 PM UTC
Hi All

I apply with a Panzer I A from Dragon

See you at the frontier!

Regards

Alvaro
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 08:37 AM UTC
I know it's not 1st Jan yet, but can I start now???
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 09:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eager, aren't we! I'll bet that a few Landsers were itching to get on with things soonest back in May 1940, what with months of "Sitzkrieg" behind them, but jumping the gun by most of 3 months? That's World Class eagerness, mate, World Class!

Heck. I haven't even really decided what I'll try to build for this one, yet! Why rush things? I still have two+ months to vacillate in!

Bob
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 10:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Eager, aren't we! I'll bet that a few Landsers were itching to get on with things soonest back in May 1940, what with months of "Sitzkrieg" behind them, but jumping the gun by most of 3 months? That's World Class eagerness, mate, World Class!

Heck. I haven't even really decided what I'll try to build for this one, yet! Why rush things? I still have two+ months to vacillate in! Bob

Thought I'd build my Char B1 early and invade Germany while they're getting ready!

erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 11:37 AM UTC
Nice to see everyone's eager to start. I've consoled myself by doing a few figures while I'm waiting to start the dio which keeps changing in my head. The scenery I've worked out it's just which vehicles which I'm holding off on...lol. It's gone from a couple of Pz IV's to an Sdkfz 7 and 88 and lorries. Still 2 1/2 months to think about it...lol
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
Armorama: 1,640 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 06:20 PM UTC
Hey guys,
all you eager beavers could try this as an appetizer:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/41033/case-yellow-1940-the-german-blitzkrieg-in-the-west

a good old fashioned board game, that you can play with your neighbours, before you take over their garden

Paul