Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
WWII Panther Tanks!
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 01:44 AM UTC
Love the look of those zimmed up Panthers cant wait to get started on mine
Oh but wait that means I would have to decide which 1 to build got 2 Panthers and 3 Jagdpanthers, all from Dragon in the stash
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 428 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 03:13 AM UTC
Nice job there Matthew!
Sal: my vote is on one of the jagdpanthers!

I fitted the stowage tube and left side track link holder

A pretty fiddly and delicate job... I think I will have to change my assembly order and get the upper and lower hull assembled before adding any more of the PE detail or it's bound to be breakage from handling!
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A pretty fiddly and delicate job... I think I will have to change my assembly order and get the upper and lower hull assembled before adding any more of the PE detail or it's bound to be breakage from handling!

Johan

Very true, as I can attest from personal painful experience. In fact, I'm up to the weathering stage with mine and have still to add the aerial and "driver knows" guides on the front, as I know full well that otherwise I'll knock them off.

Regards

Rob
Removed by original poster on 11/16/14 - 04:12:11 (GMT).
RuloMxy
Visit this Community
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 09:20 AM UTC
Hi all,
I am very happy to join this amazing campaign! I will be building an old Tamiya Panther G Early version. As there is no way around the zimmerit in this version, I will most likely be using a Cavalier set.
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 09:34 AM UTC
Some progress on mine, lower hull assembled, primered, preshaded and base coat:

upper hull ready for primer:
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 12:40 PM UTC
Nice job Colin!

Mine got shoes!

Being a real man i obviously did not look at the instructions before assembling the tracks so it was not until the end of the second run when i RAN OUT of magic tracks i realized you where supposed to use 8 special track pieces per run around the running gear...
So, a tip if you are building a dragon panther with magic tracks, read the instructions
Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 07:38 PM UTC
Hey folks,

this will be my entry, a Revell Panther G early version in Braille scale with Part PE Zimmerit, Voyager Model PE and AM barrel (don't know which one, yet as I have an RB and an Aber one). Still debating whether to buy OKB resin tracks...

This is my very first campaign, and I'm über excited.
Cheers!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 08:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey folks,

this will be my entry, a Revell Panther G early version in Braille scale with Part PE Zimmerit, Voyager Model PE and AM barrel (don't know which one, yet as I have an RB and an Aber one). Still debating whether to buy OKB resin tracks...

Cheers!

First Campaign?!!! Well, I'm honored you chose this one as I'm sure you'll have a great time with your selection there!

Everyone is coming along nicely now... time to jump in soon!

Jeff
Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 09:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

First Campaign?!!! Well, I'm honored you chose this one as I'm sure you'll have a great time with your selection there!

Jeff

Thanks! Looking at your nick and all, you seem like the right person to ask. Would a Normandie Panther G have had the rain guard between turret and gun mantle? The corresponding PE part looks sexy, but the Panther has to be accurate for a Normandie setting (Dio ahead... )
Northern_Lad
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 462 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 09:58 PM UTC
So my extra AM goodies arrived in the post today! Woohoo...

More progress pics at the weekend...

Ach, panthers really are just the way forward...
Northern_Lad
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 462 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 10:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey folks,

Cheers!

Hey Nicolas,

I just built the same kit. The tracks are pretty nice, really. There is no real need to run out and buy resin replacements unless you are desperate to. The one thing I found though was that the individual links do need a little subtle persuasion to fit around the drive sprockets, but only ever so slightly....

Cheers

Matthew
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 10:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Would a Normandie Panther G have had the rain guard between turret and gun mantle?

Those were introduced in August of '44. So I would say no to that.

Jeff
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 03:17 AM UTC
Hi all, I have been trying to post an update for the past couple of days but have been unable to post my photos to the Kit Maker Photo Album.

Anyway, my time on the bench has been limited but she is coming along slowly. I am slowly getting the turret complete and should be moving on to the tools here within the week. The track is complete as I am using Fruil Tracks for this build.

All of the builds are looking great and I am learning from each of you as we continue this campaign. Thanks for letting me participate.

Dave
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 04:03 AM UTC
Got the first of the tool racks finished today:

I need to consult my reference (IE. google) but I suspect there should be some kind of brackets holding the handles of the cutter in place.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 07:14 AM UTC
Johan L.;

About those wire-cutter handle ends...

You are right. There was often a simple metal band across between and under those handle-ends - a flat bar or strap which curved up and around the ends to form a sort of holder or keeper. This was not, however, universal to all Wehrmacht vehicles - these cutters were clamped in place pretty firmly by the evident tool-clasp. There were also, in some cases, pins located between the jaws and/or behind (to the handle-side) the jaw-head which served to position the cutter, with the clasp serving to hold it in against or over these pins. The one thing you can be sure of... these cutters did NOT just loosely swing around and wiggle out of their clamps!

Losing the tools was frowned upon!

Bob
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
Armorama: 654 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 09:32 AM UTC
"Give up Glacis Plate! We have you surrounded!" Clamped that sucker down to ensure it dried flat and true against the chassis underneath. Not sure why Dragon went this route with the front end assembly.

Replaced the hooks and handles with different diameter wire.

More to come.

Keith
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 09:40 AM UTC
Upper hull and turret done and ready for primer, test fit to lower hull, some warpage issues to deal with...

Added some battle scars...

onto the footwork!
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
Armorama: 654 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm...makes sense and is good to know. Thanks Johan. I will plan accordingly.

This Dragon kit is the most PE intensive model I have tried building. I've taken to working on the PE at the kitchen counter. I don't know why, but I prefer standing at the high surface vs slumped over a low workbench.
The lighting is good, the 'peninsula' breakfast counter has ample room, there is plenty of real estate for flying parts to land on, and there is no carpet for a monster to reside in and eat the pieces that do hit the floor.

Keith
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 11:39 AM UTC
You guys are flying at a record pace on your builds here and I am so impressed! So much progress.

Take it easy and don't burn out, hope to join in soon!

Jeff
Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Would a Normandie Panther G have had the rain guard between turret and gun mantle?

Those were introduced in August of '44. So I would say no to that.

Jeff

That was quick, thanks Jeff! Still, I think it's about time I get myself some proper reference material. Google is not always that helpful when it comes down to details...
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 01:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Johan L.;

About those wire-cutter handle ends...

You are right. There was often a simple metal band across between and under those handle-ends - a flat bar or strap which curved up and around the ends to form a sort of holder or keeper. This was not, however, universal to all Wehrmacht vehicles - these cutters were clamped in place pretty firmly by the evident tool-clasp. There were also, in some cases, pins located between the jaws and/or behind (to the handle-side) the jaw-head which served to position the cutter, with the clasp serving to hold it in against or over these pins. The one thing you can be sure of... these cutters did NOT just loosely swing around and wiggle out of their clamps!

Losing the tools was frowned upon!

Bob

Thanks for the info Bob!
Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 01:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hey folks,

Cheers!

Hey Nicolas,

I just built the same kit. The tracks are pretty nice, really. There is no real need to run out and buy resin replacements unless you are desperate to. The one thing I found though was that the individual links do need a little subtle persuasion to fit around the drive sprockets, but only ever so slightly....

Cheers

Matthew

Hey Matthew,

I saw your build and you did a great job! About the tracks, there are two things that kind of annoy me. First of all, the Revell tracks are too large. They use 14 track links where the real thing would have had 17. That's rougly a 17 % difference, and now that I know it, I really see it...
More importantly, L & L tracks are a giant PITA in that scale. Gluing first makes it easier to mount, but then painting (with a paintbrush in my case) is really annoying. Or you paint first and mount later, but paint and glue don't work well together in that order. Not to mention that sagging tracks take even more even patience and time.
I think I'll go with the resin tracks and use my (scarce) time for detailing...

What filler will you use for the gaps between tank and Zimmerit? Have only tried diluted Mr. White Putty so far. It works but needs quite a lot of cleanup afterwards...
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 01:53 PM UTC
G'day fellas

Well, the beast is finally complete. Front view:

Rear:

Left side:

Commander:

Everything was built basically out of the box. The commander, is, I think, a Miniart figure with a Verlinden head and Archer badges.

The only additions were the Aber antenna and an Archer decal on the fire extinguisher.

Painting was Tamiya acrylics with a Burnt Umber wash and a touch of Tamiya weathering pastels here and there.

Regards

Rob
ZAPanzer
Visit this Community
North-West, South Africa
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 02:02 PM UTC
Wow Rob

Very nice indeed, congrats.

Cheers

Rob