Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
WWII Panther Tanks!
2ndWorcesters
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 05:46 PM UTC
How the hell do you do so many builds entering multiple GB's and what's more produce stunning work Rob?

Another wonderful build mate.
Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 06:51 PM UTC
For everyone out there trying to figure out when what particular feature was introduced/ discontinued in Panther production, please check the following link. AFAIK, it seems to be very accurate:

http://www.panther1944.de/en/sdkfz-171-pzkpfwg-panther/technik/technical-changes.html

Cheers!
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 07:40 PM UTC
Nice job, Rob. Great looking Panther with a fine paint job!

Thanks for sharing
JoeOsborne
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 07:53 PM UTC
Rob,

Really nice job. How did you do the conblestone base?
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 08:42 PM UTC
Nice work Rob!
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How the hell do you do so many builds entering multiple GB's and what's more produce stunning work Rob?

Another wonderful build mate.

G'day Alan

Thanks for the compliments. This build was actually remarkably quick. I did it while I was waiting for the vegetation on the base of my Sd. Kfz. 7/2 and I had a few days without the very keen assistance of my three year old grandson.

Being retired certainly has its advantages . . .

Regards

Rob
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 02:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob,

Really nice job. How did you do the conblestone base?

G'day Joe

Thank you for your kind remarks.

The base is a Miniart one cut to fit the pine base, painted with a mix of Neutral Grey and Flat Brown, with a few cobbles picked out with Vallejo Panzer Grey or Flat Earth, then given a Burnt Umber wash.

The vehicle is held to the base with a screw through the hull.

Regards

Rob
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 03:34 AM UTC
Hey all,

So here is the update I mentioned yesterday.

I used the kit provided barrel for this Panther as opposed to the metal barrel I used for the other. The fit was ok but it required a significant amount of sanding to make the barrel flush.

And here is a picture of the twins together.

Once I get the major assembly complete I will paint both tanks together.

Thanks for looking in, as always comments are welcome.

Dave
IronOwl
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 572 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 03:41 AM UTC
Hello All heres my Start pic
ack magic tracks never used them before oh well here goes nothing

Sascha(Ironowl)
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 03:47 AM UTC
my update, wheels.

IronOwl
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 04:10 AM UTC
I have just checked I have none of the main paints I need namely the Khaki Green and the Dark Yellow any comments on which paints I should use and also its either gonna be hand painted or Sprayed outta rattle cans air brush and compresser have been packed away thanks in advance.

Sascha(Ironowl)
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 428 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 05:15 AM UTC
Great job everyone!

I finished the tool-racks:

The tool clasps are from AM works.

This was probably the most time consuming part of the build. Hopefully smooth sailing from here on out!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have just checked I have none of the main paints I need namely the Khaki Green and the Dark Yellow any comments on which paints I should use and also its either gonna be hand painted or Sprayed outta rattle cans air brush and compresser have been packed away thanks in advance.

Sascha(Ironowl)

A quick fix would be to go to a local store and get olive drab and dark yellow and mask it off.

Walmart has some rattle cans (in military colors) that will get it close.

Jeff
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 10:18 PM UTC
ICM's Panther update,

BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 370 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 11:06 PM UTC
Hello,

Been a lurker for a long time, now, I'm trying to be an active participant by signing up for a number of campaigns. This one is among the several. Problem with me is I keep buying more than I build. By joining campaigns, I hopefully can make some dent on my stash. This one has been with me for years. I actually won it at a raffle at SCAHMS. My participation in this campaign is more an exercise in painting than anything else. I plan to build this OOB and just paint and weather it. Anyway, this is the kit that I have.

And this is the paint job I would like to try (which came from AK Interactive's publication, 1945 German Colors).

I hope to be able to complete this project soon!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 12:26 AM UTC
Wow, go John GO! You weren't kidding about being at the bench more this quarter, huh!!

And Joseph... I do like your choice on the Early Jagdpanther (my favorite version of the two) but the image or color plate you said that your going to use is of a Late version. Not that it matters to me or this Campaign... paint it anyway you want buddy.

I just thought I'd point that out before it was too late.

I just got back from the hardware store for a few necessities. Gonna cozy up to the bench and talk gently to my Panther project here and hopefully the magic will return.

Jeff
BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 370 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And Joseph... I do like your choice on the Early Jagdpanther (my favorite version of the two) but the image or color plate you said that your going to use is of a Late version. Not that it matters to me or this Campaign... paint it anyway you want buddy.

I just thought I'd point that out before it was too late.

Thanks Jeff, yeah, at this point I'm not concerned with the versions. The only other Jadgpanther kit that I have in my stash is another early version with molded Zimmerit. Oh well. So, as I've mentioned, this is an exercise in painting. I'm basically challenging myself to see if I can even do it. I've lugged this kit around for at least a decade through 4 different residential moves. It's high time I get something done.
IronOwl
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 02:01 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply Jeff I may have found the paints I need

Magic tracks Ack

Sascha(ironowl)
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 428 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 04:30 AM UTC
What's your biggest issue with magic tracks Sascha? Maybe we can help

I had a good two sessions, nearly there on the modeling and then off to paint!

(sry for the bad picture quality)

The RB barrel took some convincing before accepting it's new home result is amazing though, such a quality product!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 04:46 AM UTC
Johan... your Panther D is looking very good, especially with the NEW metal installed.

Jeff
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 05:27 AM UTC
Okay guys, I'm finally in.

I think I got that feeling back again.

Jeff
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
Armorama: 654 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 09:54 AM UTC
Lots of great work going on!

@Rob, she's a beaut. The base does a nice job accentuating a fine build.

@David, a great looking set of twins. I haven't glued my road wheel torsion swing arms on yet. I was thinking of attaching the wheels to them and then doing all the painting. I take it from your pics that that is what you're doing?

@Johan, your tool racks and skirts came out nice! Again, its an inspiration to me to get to all that PE.

@John, cool turret and road wheels. How did you paint the rubber? By hand?

@Jeff, glad to see you back at the bench and joining in! But I gotta ask: what are the green hubs in those wheels? Are you kit-bashing?

Keith
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
Armorama: 654 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 11:13 AM UTC
Stupid question time. Thanks in advance for any insights and answers:
I've never used Magic Track before, and I see I'm not the only one a little confused by them.
1) What is so ‘magical’ about them?
2) Are they supposed to snap together and stay joined? The few that I dry-fitted together popped apart with just a little manipulation. Or are they meant to be loosely connected, then glued together with slow-drying adhesive, and then wrapped around the running gear to dry in place?
3) Why does Dragon want you to put 8 links of Magic Track on the spare track racks, yet use 8 other links on the drive sprockets? Will the Magic Track not fit? Can the Magic Tracks be used on the drive sprockets, and the other links on the spares racks?

I’ve never built a kit that had this much PE. I’m used to painting all the little doo-dads first and then gluing them on the already painted but-not-yet-weathered chassis.
4) How do you go about painting the tools, brackets, etc., when they are on the tool racks or vehicle? Is there a way to paint them beforehand? Or do you use a fine tip brush and a steady hand?
5) Were the tools ever painted or camo’ed with the vehicle? I’ve done some research, but can’t find out how much of the accessories were overpainted by the crew. I’ve read that each vehicle came with a spray gun powered by the engine. Would the crew take the time to remove the tools when applying the camo?

Thanks again,

Keith
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 12:48 PM UTC
Keith

Answers below (well, my opinions anyway).

Quoted Text

Stupid question time. Thanks in advance for any insights and answers:
I've never used Magic Track before, and I see I'm not the only one a little confused by them.
1) What is so ‘magical’ about them?
2) Are they supposed to snap together and stay joined? The few that I dry-fitted together popped apart with just a little manipulation. Or are they meant to be loosely connected, then glued together with slow-drying adhesive, and then wrapped around the running gear to dry in place?
3) Why does Dragon want you to put 8 links of Magic Track on the spare track racks, yet use 8 other links on the drive sprockets? Will the Magic Track not fit? Can the Magic Tracks be used on the drive sprockets, and the other links on the spares racks?

I’ve never built a kit that had this much PE. I’m used to painting all the little doo-dads first and then gluing them on the already painted but-not-yet-weathered chassis.
4) How do you go about painting the tools, brackets, etc., when they are on the tool racks or vehicle? Is there a way to paint them beforehand? Or do you use a fine tip brush and a steady hand?
5) Were the tools ever painted or camo’ed with the vehicle? I’ve done some research, but can’t find out how much of the accessories were overpainted by the crew. I’ve read that each vehicle came with a spray gun powered by the engine. Would the crew take the time to remove the tools when applying the camo?

Thanks again,

Keith

Q1 - nothing.
Q2 - connect, glue, and then wrap around the wheels.
Q3 - the links nominated for use on the drive sprockets are very slightly different from the other Magic Tracks and are designed to fit around the curve.
Q4 - fine tip brush and a steady hand. Slip a piece of paper under them once they're on the vehicle so as not to get too much paint where you don't want it.
Q5 - everybody has their own opinion. Do whatever you think is best. If you have a look at my Panther D pics, you'll find that I painted the tools off the vehicle and then attached them.

Regards

Rob
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 12:58 PM UTC
Hey Keith!

They're called 'Magic Tracks' because one... they simply are not on a sprue and are easy to set up. Meaning, using a jig or tape you just run a thin line of slow setting liquid cement (like a Revell) on each side of the tracks and it allows them to slightly bend into place. Other glues might set up too fast and not allow the tracks to work into place.

Usually they are built separate from the tank and not cementing the sprocket and idler wheel right away so the whole assembly falls into place.

Check out some youtube videos and watch how it's performed.

Oh, and the reason my parts are two colors is just that... they came that way and they were on the tracks sprue, with the suspension arms as well. There might be some kit bashing later, depending on certain parts I may need or just order them.

On the tools, I always like to add them later so painting them separate can be done, depending on how easy it would be to paint them on the tank. It's basically your call as to what's easier or that you're comfortable with.

If you know for a fact that the camo was field applied, then they would paint over the tools and not pull them off to do just that.

I hope I made some sense at least it's what I would do. I avoid the 'magic' in it all, preferring Friuls or a Modelkasten type of tracks assembly. I once assembled some Bronco brand tracks for my Panther and they were supposed to be workable but quickly became a nightmare. LOL

Jeff