Hosted by Darren Baker
Big Punch, Big Push
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 09:48 PM UTC
Nick, I was joking about the project being on-time and on-budget given how fast the new building went up. The building projects around town always run into unprojected delays and cost over runs - like the second phase of a business development that was supposed to be done and ready for occupancy fall of 2014...
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 11:41 PM UTC
Sorry John! maybe me being in "that" business...schedule and budget are all I ever worry about!!! funny, I used to do lots of actual project work...NO more!!! Now, I build my own! And, no, I don't fine myself for every day I get behind schedule! I might though buy a new kit if I finish ahead of schedule!!!

In the mean time, the "little pink house" is well underway -I spent some time adding the front doors, a cornice, and a shade over the tall shop front windows - I'm going to add some tension rods holding up the awning - don't really need
them, but, I'm betting they'll look pretty good!

Please take a look:

so there you have it! you'll notice - my "left" and "right" appear to be reversed at the front door....but, no, they're not -- I built it upside down - lots easier to fit the 1:1 tools - my hands!

Ok - thanks for checking it out! a few details to go, then on to more debris and paint!

Nick
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 11:47 PM UTC
Nice update Nick! ... Looks outstanding!

—mike
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 03:00 AM UTC
With the amount of damage to the upper left of the door, more damage to the door itself might be appropriate IMHO.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 06:33 AM UTC
Nick good sir!!! Great cornise work, as well as the rest of it of course....

You just continue to crank out hit after hit, like the best of "Rock em Sock em Hockey" with Don Cherry!

Love the whole thing. Good to take a few minutes to breath in the masterpieces from you, keeps me going even though I can't find bench time again.

You can feel sorry for me if you want, but it's not mandatory....

Glad you're on time and on budget though, one of our major road projects got put behind schedule up here in Edmonton last weekend. Four 40 Tonne bridge deck girders warped in four minutes during the middle of the night after they were placed over one of the 3 main roads leading to our downtown

Bridge is closed indefinitely, and the road beneath it!

Later dude
white4doc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 04:45 PM UTC
Utterly amazing work on the building, Nick. What did you make the cornice from? It really makes the building stand out.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 05:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Utterly amazing work on the building, Nick. What did you make the cornice from? It really makes the building stand out.

Looks like a Dentil molding from Home Depot....
white4doc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 05:34 PM UTC
That's what I thought too, Matt. I wasn't sure, coffee hasn't completely kicked in yet.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 06:33 PM UTC
Considerable progress as usual. I still shake my head every time I see it.
Pretty cool the way you use a lot of different stuff from the hardware store as well as sheet plastic,etc. Sort of an off shoot of Shep Pains' "creative gizmology".
Nice.
J
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 07:42 PM UTC
I'm just jealous. Of all of it. This is top level modelling.
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 08:31 PM UTC
Hey guys - thanks for checking it out -

Mike and Paul - thank! And glad you guys are "buying it" so far!

Hi Dave - glad you're back! Yeah, 1:1 scale life! Can limit hobby life...Bummer about the decking/trusses - how on earth do you un warp them?!?? That's easier to do in 1/35..

Hi Jerry - ha! "Creative gizmology"! How about "a bit cheap and impatient!

And Matt and John, to Jerry's comment above, I'm pretty lucky to live fairly close to a Home Depot, Michaels, Dick Blick, and, a shop the sells evergreen

But, not a shop that sells much specific to what we do. So my model kits, paints, and detail kits all come via the Internet and post office.

Of the shops listed above, I've had the best luck finding non-related, but good stuff at Dick Blicks - the hipster, tattooed gals working there might not know much about dio building, but they do seem to know much more than me about paint brushes, and various acrylic materials, paper, etc - and they've seemed (at least politely) interested in the projects I'm seeking their help on, and they usually have many suggestions!

Home Depot is the source for the cornice - in real life, in the part of the world the dio is representing, these are usually carved stone or, cast concrete or cement plaster...the cut wood is fine for me! Yes, in reality ther segments are about 1 yard/meter long, so you would see seams - not sure if I want to scribe those....? We'll see...

Ok, thanks for checking it out and your comments - off to the real job!

Nick

Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 - 01:06 AM UTC
hi guys -

I made some headway on the building - I remembered how much I don't enjoy making windows....for whatever reason, it's very slow going and tedious for me.....

Anyway, please take a look:

And there you have it....getting there. I've since added the back wall, roof, a few interior walls and some exterior details.

Thanks for checking it out -

Nick

matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 - 02:07 AM UTC
It looks great!
Imho the roll up door needs mor damage, at least some small dents & scratches.
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 - 02:50 AM UTC
Hi Matt - you and that door! - it might get some graffiti:

MATT WAS HERE!!!!

uhhh, if not that, yes, some abuse - you know me better than that! this has a long way to go! scrapes, scuffs, grime, rust....still to come.

Getting the building painted and windows installed ate a lot of time (and paint!) only now can I get into any level of detail - signs, elec fixtures etc etc -

next - your door

Thanks for checking it out!

Nick
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 - 03:10 AM UTC
Wow, Nick!
That building looks impressive and also looks like some of those I passed by on patrol. I do have to agree with Matt about the roll up door needing some roughing up, especially considering the condition of the rest of the building. I am sure you are on it.

Hopefully some day I will do a diorama where I need some buildings and I hope they come out at least half as well as yours. I will look back through this thread for pointers when the time comes.

Keep up the great work.
James
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 - 03:32 AM UTC
Hi James - I'm glad the building more or less passes your "visual inspection"! I've since gotten more into the weathering - the clear class is now dusted over, grime added to the score joints, a blown out box sign, and power lead added...so, some more progress....

Now, as to that roll up door - it will receive more attention - the pic below is of the one "across the street" (this is only a WIP pic, if you look at other images in this post, you'll see this side received much more detail/debris/everything):

The building still has a way to go, lots of odds and ends to go, and I will be beating that door up! just ran out of time

Maybe tonight! scuffs, dents, grime, rust!

thanks for checking it out!
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Looks like a Dentil molding from Home Depot....

Matt, it's the same piece I used on the church building in my dio. I purchased mine at a Micheal's craft store here in Edmonton. It appears it is a fairly common find at several stores.... And quite a nice looking decoration at that!

Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 - 09:27 PM UTC
HI Guys - just a really quick update today - the weathering is underway for the building. Still more to do, but you'll get the point.

Please check it out:

and there you have it - the last one just for context - the "new" building isn't glued in yet - and more debris, signs etc to go...

thanks for having a look!

NIck
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 - 09:33 PM UTC
That's looking nice!!! the weather really helps the door fit in with it's proximity to all the debris.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 - 10:01 PM UTC
I am really liking how the new building is turning out so far. Great rust and wear,etc. Really has the correct style and ambiance as well. Not surprised it's so good though.
J
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 - 10:25 PM UTC
Brilliant!!! ... Love the neon box sign, roll-up door, electrical conduit, shattered glass, etc. ... All very convincing!

Finding myself going back in the thread and needing to pinch myself in order to realize this was once only pink foam and a dream!

—mike
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brilliant!!! ... Love the neon box sign, roll-up door, electrical conduit, shattered glass, etc. ... All very convincing!

Finding myself going back in the thread and needing to pinch myself in order to realize this was once only pink foam and a dream!

—mike

Nick I can do nothing but concur with Mike's assessment....totally unreal M8!

Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 05:08 AM UTC
hi guys - today will be pretty quick, but some decent progress -

Matt - good! I'm glad the door passes your test

Jerry - that's the response I want - glad to hear its conveying the right "feeling"

Mike and Dave, thanks!

OK, here we go. This post has to do with many little details - remnants of the blown out sign on the sidewalk, paper and glass debris, more dust, more utilities, and AC!

the first image spells it out:

I'm hoping this is looking like a serious mess - debris, some chaos - hot....but the CAT breaches the debris -

nope...still not glued in!! more debris to be added!! but, I think its coming right along -

For fun, three progress pics below - this is the entry to the bldg about a 2.25" square - with a little checker board pattern - start: prime, add base color, then add frisket to the "tile area", then draw up grid, cut out squares, paint on "opposite color", then remove the rest of those little squares! not at all tedious! it is!!! the sloppy part is fine - it gets some heavy weather!

then, weather etc - have a look:

Ok - sorry - I need to run! thanks for checking it out!

Nick
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 05:21 AM UTC
brilliant is all i can say!!!
J
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 06:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... I'm hoping this is looking like a serious mess ...

I like all of the dangly stuff and that tile work is above and beyond!
What a mess, indeed! ... I take a nap and this is what happens!

Quoted Text

... Ok - sorry - I need to run! thanks for checking it out!

Nick, Your pace is out of control!!! ... What kind of jet fuel are you on?

—mike