Hosted by Darren Baker
Public pool
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 01:26 PM UTC
This is a building I made back in the mid to late 90's .
It's now going to get a 3 story make over for the public pool town .
Needless to say I'm startin at the bottom and workin my way up , in partial ruin of course .

Modelrob
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 304 posts
Armorama: 293 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 03:30 PM UTC
Cheyenne, this just gets better and better and bigger and bigger. Your work is always great to look at.

Robert
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 04:19 PM UTC
Thanks Rob , the real trick is gonna be making three partially destroyed floors and allowing visuals of the semi destroyed interiors .
I've got all day at the bench starting with the Giants Rams game in jolly old and nothing but football till round midnight .
Modelrob
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 04:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Rob , the real trick is gonna be making three partially destroyed floors and allowing visuals of the semi destroyed interiors .
I've got all day at the bench starting with the Giants Rams game in jolly old and nothing but football till round midnight .

Can't beat that kind of day, Enjoy
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 07:21 PM UTC
I like where you're going with this.. Great way to include some old work with the new. I am doing something like that right now as well. Might as well get some bang for your buck with all the work you did years ago. I love the wine casks in the cellar.
You are getting better and better at "deconstruction" model building! LoL
J
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 09:39 PM UTC
Hi Cheyenne -

You are certainly on a roll!! Now into recycling - very green of you! Haha! A few thoughts - first something that really catches my eye about your build is how it cleverly seems to cross time lines with materials and styles. That is, maybe something of a craft based structure (like the pool building) with industrial elements added over time - plus the new building - it's both interesting and convincing as a concept. The next question might expose me as being hypocritical -

I quickly scanned the pages of the thread and I didn't see an overall layout? Two things, first if it's on the first page and I spaced, sorry! Second, I tend to work to a concept rather than a plan - so, I am curious about your endgame - looks like you might be able to fill out a couple of blocks, which means you'll be able to build some streets and alleys too!!! Keep building!

Cheers
Nick
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 11:36 PM UTC
Jerry , thanks man , lemmie see what your doing with your reconstruction thingie .
Nick , thanks man , a lot of people don't think about the birth of a town and its growth along with maybe hundreds of years of change among the original buildings .
Some stay and some are razed for new builds .
Birth , a few buildings , growth , more buildings , generations later with architecture and technology constantly changing a wonderful melange of old and new .
I like to see that it tells a story in itself .

Anyway , good question on the size and scope of this never ending project .
Everything I build is more or less in modules only to be base placed when I feel the section is completed .
I work a lot in my head and see the picture clearly of what will be .
Space considerations prevent me from laying everything out to take photos , besides it would be a pain in the dumper and time consuming to set everything up and then tear it all down to continue building .
When I'm done though I do have room to put it all together and photo the hell out of it , ........... then tear it down and start something else .
Right now I'm figurin on four , four foot x four foot pieces of 3/4 plywood .

When this is done I plan on building the other side of town that will hold the Allied contingent , .......... sooooooooo in about 10 years I'll be done with both .
I'm havin a blast relaxin and building in my room , so if this keeps me from running with scissors and home ....... it's a good thing .
It also keeps my little Komandant wife happy .

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 06:34 PM UTC
Nice outline and I like the way you think.
Man,that is gonna be BIG.
J
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 02:56 AM UTC
Various scenarios for the basement .
Placement will be a huge factor for me because two upper floors will be partially destroyed and the debris will have to logically be crashed into said basement .
More to come .

kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 03:36 AM UTC
Hi Cheyenne ,

you have talent and skills my friend . Nice to see how all this comes together .

Kurt
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 03:51 AM UTC
Thanks man for all that fantastic European water tower reference!

Beautiful
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 07:17 PM UTC
More "deconstruction" underway ! I love your approach. I also wish I had a wine cellar like this one.
J
simonn
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 03:19 AM UTC
Wow. Superb modelling Cheyenne.

Simon
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 249 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 03:15 AM UTC
Hello there Cheyenne, just got the opportunity to check out your builds progress since last I visited back in June. I really enjoy your skill of making all the items. Excellent vision and planning to make it all blend in and work together. I can't wait to see the final build of completion on this project. The destruction and all the wonderful details that come with this is something I will need to envision and accomplish on my Iraq battle damaged urban setting as well. Big challenge in making that work and requires loads of research as well. So many aspects to modeling and even more in making these big dioramas. I love the challenge and all aspects of it. Thanks for sharing your work with us & happy modeling !
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 03:06 PM UTC
Kurt , Michael , Jerry , Simon and Joaquin , thanks guys .

A shameful lack of progress has led me only this far due to holidays and life stuff , ........................... good news is I've got Xmas week off !!!

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 09:06 PM UTC
Nice!! Excellent basement. I think I see an old PzIV engine grate for the furnace vent?
Great little details in there that I assume will be partially covered with caved in floor debris?
Nice update and welcome back brother.
J
BUTA46
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 04:30 AM UTC
Does seem to be a shame to set a bomb off in there. But, with the way you've destroyed the rest of the place, I reckon you'll blow it up with your usual high level of accurate and loving detail.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:19 AM UTC
Dear Cheyenne,
where to start?
Your modelling skills are without any doubt. A superb sense for detail. I enjoy and respect your build.
But......
It has gone quite into the direction of a Holywood based 'Germanised' filmset!
Why?
Some motivation from a guy that lived in an old German house for quite a whilesome :
The ' Heizungskeller' (heater room) would have been seperated from the rest. Law!
The 'Bierlagerraum' (beer storage) would also be a seperate room since beer requires low temperatures, which certainly can not be guaranteed by sharing the room with a furnace/oven.
Blue wine bottles nowadays exist. However, in the 40ties of last century German wine bottles were either green or brown.
So, all together these items have been made very well, however placing them all in one basement is, for a western European observer, too 'American'!
I hope you accept my considerations.
No offence intended!
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 03:29 PM UTC
Jerry , thanks man , this one won't be too much on the destruction scale .
Phil , thanks fer lookin in on the project .

Paul , no offence taken , guilty as charged , totally Hollywoodized American .
Space considerations forced my hand on the bakery oven , beer/wine cellar combination .
Which is no excuse but which is the only one I have .
Wine bottle colors , that was just me trying to add color to the basement area .
This was supposed to be a German public pool but someone pointed out the words on the pool room wall in he ref photo makes it a Belgian public pool .
Any colored wine and Champagne bottles from Belgium or France ?
If not ............................ oops , to late to change now .
Paul , I do thank you for the corrections and promise to ask questions first before shooting .
There is only one way to solve my mistakes , either I move next door too you across the pond or you move next door to me here on the Atlantic coast .

Ya gotta admit though it's not as bad as that Henry Fonda Battle of the Bulge movie .
Modelrob
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 04:13 PM UTC
Great attention to detail here Cheyenne. Can't wait to see the next update.

Robert
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 04:22 PM UTC
Thanks Rob , what the hey man it's 6:20 here in Jersey , it's gotta be nothing oclock where you are .
I'm off to work in a sec , thanks again man .
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 07:53 PM UTC
Cheyenne, whether or not the layout, or even the supposed location of your public pool, is correct.... the construction and finishing on this great build is excellent!

You are creating a masterful diorama...well done.

All you guys with teeny tiny labels on all your cans, bottles and boxes, are making me nervous, not that we are competing or anything....but...let's face it, we push each other to higher heights, don't we all!

Ok, I'm done. Great job. Love the work. Not competing. Hate you

Sincerely,
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 09:51 PM UTC
Hi Cheyenne,
Good to read your comments. It is rather easy to insult people.
As you said it is the perspective which creates decisions.
(ex) miliary complain about some over weathered tanks, Europeans have pre occupied ideas about the USA and much more can be mentioned. And so this forum should help us all to satisfy our own needs in the field of modeling.
I understand your motivation: having fun and creating an atmosphere. Here you certainly succeeded. That is our hobby: having fun.
Therefore, leave all as it is and do surprise us with more. And I promise to answer eventual questions at any time.

Enjoy

P
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 03:03 AM UTC
Dave , thanks man , yeah the labels were a little time consuming and tedious but hey I just had to do them .
Funny thing is most of the basement will be a glimpse and not a full showing like in the photos , already started the second floor and a lot is not fully shown , kinda like a tank with full interior where you can only see what you can see through the open hatches .

Paul , like I said no problem man , it certainly isn't logical to have a bread oven in the same room as your beer and wine storage .
We can't learn if no one corrects us cause then we're doomed to keep repeating the same mistakes .
I don't suffer from being corrected , especially when the corrector is right .
I almost always work from vintage photos and my French/Belgian bakery ovens pics are similar if not the same as my oven , ................. course none of the ref pics had beer and wine storage in the same room .
An oversight I'll try not to repeat in the future .
swimmwagen
Visit this Community
Gerona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 11:04 PM UTC
Cheyenne, very nice project with the pool and also the damages. The best the cosntruction, to improve in my opinion the painture some objects are very glossy. Keep going!
Congratulations!