Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 06:18 AM UTC
I hate doin windows .................

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 07:06 AM UTC
I absolutely love the look f your woodwork Cheyenne. You sure know what looks right! Awesome update.

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 07:34 PM UTC
You may hate doing windows but I like watching you do windows ! This new module is awesome. My only suggestion is some more smaller splintering on the ends of the broken parts ? I think almost all modelers make this kind of damage way too blunt?
Or not...it is,after all,your minds' eye at work here.
J
HansBouwmeester
Visit this Community
Namibia
KitMaker: 346 posts
Armorama: 343 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 11:29 PM UTC
Museumquality, that's all I have to add to all compliments already given.
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2017 - 07:16 PM UTC
HNY Cheyenne,

This sure looks up to your usual high-quality standard, love it - agree with JR about the glass though. For the small rail station in my dios I just got some clear panels from some packaging of reasonably rigid but thin gauge and spent 10 minutes chopping it up into irregular shards with a long blade. Also found just scoring other panels with the tip made plausible-looking cracks.

Tim
PolishBrigade12
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 366 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 02:13 AM UTC
Whether ya hate em or not Cheyenne, ya did an incredible job on the windows.

Cheers, Ski.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:16 PM UTC
Thanks Dave . Jerry , Hans , Tim and Ski , much appreciated !!!

Before I get ragged for the corny Ragnar Ott German baker signage living in a Belgian/German border town let me tell youse guys how I arrived at that name .
And yes I'm leaving it in the build .

I looked up the meaning of Ragnar in the dictionary and it said Nordic name Ernest Borgnine .

Ernest Borgnine won an Oscar as Marty the butcher in the movie Marty .
Ok butcher , baker close enough for the build .
Ragnar , Nordic name Ernest Borgnine , another match .
Finally he was a captain of a PT boat and that was cool sooooooo I named the bakery in Belgium on the German boarder Ragnar Ott's bakery .
I used the last name Ott cause it fit .

The Letraset transfers I used are from 1971 which I found with some of my stuff .

parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 12:42 AM UTC
This is truly amazing.Have you kept any track of the hours you have put into this?

Tom
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 02:03 AM UTC
No gripes coming from me buddy ! The name Ragnar Lothbruck will ring down the halls of Valhalla forever as he drinks Mead from a curved horn with Odin.
J
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 02:15 AM UTC

JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 249 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 07:51 PM UTC
Hey there Cheyenne, loving every single update and the amazing details put into this project. What's the projected size of this diorama's base and how long have you been working on it? When I first started my dio project I assumed it would be about 2 years to complete but 2.5 years later.... It's about a 50% completion rate. I know it's no rush but it's amazing to think back at all the time, effort, research hours, and cost we put into these projects.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more updates.

JGphins
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 08:15 PM UTC
Cheyenne is clearly out to prove how much crazy goodness can be crammed into a tiny space. This is awesome!

Dioramartin
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 04:11 AM UTC
And bonus points for having, and so effectively using, Letraset! I thought I was the only one left in the world who'd been keeping a hoard buried in the ground in an airtight container for 25th century archaeologists to ponder over. Still use it on some AFVs...running short of 6pt white Arial numbers though - are you trading?
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 11:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And bonus points for having, and so effectively using, Letraset! I thought I was the only one left in the world who'd been keeping a hoard buried in the ground in an airtight container for 25th century archaeologists to ponder over. Still use it on some AFVs...running short of 6pt white Arial numbers though - are you trading?

Letraset!! My Dad used that all the time when he would make architectural models for the projects he proposed, for the town we lived in. He was also a handy kinda guy.

He worked as the Parks and Rec foreman, And even though he didn't have any schooling that I know of in design and building engineering, his concepts almost always went ahead as he envisioned them.

I think Letraset may just be the precursor to Archer Dry Transfers....

I remember when I was a young kid, like maybe 10 or 11, I had sets of medieval, and Roman era war game like sets... they had terrain and buildings that you built up, and dry transfer warriors and animals and such! Can't remember much, but I know I had a lot of fun with them...

Oh, and hey, Cheyenne.... great job man! Lovin every minute of it!

cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 03:54 PM UTC
Hi JG , thanks fer stopin by .
Wow 2.5 yrs and 50% done , well it keeps ya off the streets and outta trouble . At least 2.5 years is why your work looks so outstanding , love the new store , I've gotta stop by and comment !
I look at large dio building like ho model railroad guys .
Always building , adding , tweeking etc. , always something to work on . I'm never really concerned about the final outcome . I have too much fun just building stuff .
I have somewhat limited space but I've decided to build in 4'x4' 3/4" plywood modules .
I've been at this project for exactly a year now so who knows when or where the end is .
Once it starts gettin a little warmer out I'll do a layout of what I've got done and show everything set up . Should be two 4'x4' modules of the pool building and the bakery across the street that I'm working on now .

Mark , thanks you got it man , crazy goodness , I like to surf ref pics. and my big thing is building stuff I find in ref pics .
Sometimes it's not a 100% copy but I do try and get it close .

Hiya Tim , late 60's early 70's Letraset , sorry no whites left .
I thought I was one of the few old graphic arts students from the 60's that had these gold mines left .
I found mine in an old box in my modeling room , forgot I had them .
Before that I had kept them locked in an old sea chest buried on Oak Island , but Rick and Marty keep gettin close to finding stuff so I removed them .

Thanks Dave , yep Letraset could very well be the daddy of Archer Transfers .
Love the stuff , easy to use and back then they had thousands of fonts to choose from in all kinds of sizes .
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 04:02 AM UTC
Now I hate doing railings ...... some progress just before Super Bowl kickoff .

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 04:20 AM UTC
Nice progress on everything. Have you seen the couple of new tings being released by Miniart ? Bottles,crate,etc ?
J
Americanzero
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 07:38 PM UTC
Wow, just wow! I am blown away by your vision on this project. You set a standard for others to reach for! If I may, I was curious as to what sizes you use for your lumber? I would like to start doing some things in scale like this, but I'm struggling to figure out what wood is appropriately sized to look right. Thanks, and I can't wait to keep watching this scene develop!
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 12:35 AM UTC
WHOA! How the HELL have I overlooked this for so long!? CHeyenne this is simply stunning! I don't know what to say hahaha. All the work, all the detail, etc etc

Keep up the good work dude,

-Conor
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:56 AM UTC
Hi Maestro,

ah well the Letraset stash will have to be re-interred. But I got some awesome gold & silver letters if you ever need them.

Meanwhile regarding your latest pics...run out of superlatives, so Haaahhbrgdge Hoooolyyy. Gu. (Might be Klingon)

Cheers, Tim
M1A1MstrGn
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 03:06 AM UTC
Cheyenne, it's almost a year after your last post. I hope everything finishes the way you want. I especially like the stall doors! This is incredible work you've done. Certainly museum quality! I hope I'm not too late to see the finished article. I'm new here, so I'm still searching for cool things. Thanks for sharing the detailed photos!
Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheyenne, it's almost a year after your last post. I hope everything finishes the way you want. I especially like the stall doors! This is incredible work you've done. Certainly museum quality! I hope I'm not too late to see the finished article. I'm new here, so I'm still searching for cool things. Thanks for sharing the detailed photos!

"almost a year" as in precisely 11 days?
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 10:06 AM UTC
For a guy who hates doing railings, you sure did a bang up job on the Cheyenne! Best railings I've ever seen in 35th scale, and better than most I've seen in 1:1!

Love how this is coming together.

cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 - 04:07 PM UTC
Thanks Jerry , yeah MiniArt has a lot of nice accessories I want to get .
Some are real new and can't find them yet but I will be getting them sooner or later .

TCollins , thanks man , I get basswood it's stronger than balsa and stains better .
I get my wood supplies at Michaels or Walmart , bags of assorted different size and shape basswood .
I usually just use my Claptrap Mark 1 eyeball and some figures to gauge what looks like 2x4's 6x6's etc.

Conor , thanks man , work , work , work , still at it but I'm havin fun .

Tim , thanks dude , don't understand Klingon , ............... I only speak , write and understand two languages , English and poor English .

Jeff , thanks man , there's much more coming so stay tuned .

Nicolas , I think he means I've been working on this for a good year , least I hope he does or I just aged a year in eleven days .

Dave , thanks buddy , yeah getting the railings all concentric and even and stuff was a real charm but I think they turned out ok .

Speaking of spending a year on this project , as of March 31st 2017 I'll be retiring a second time from my job with the school system , already retired once from the phone company back in 2007.
Soooooo theoretically all I have to do is get up in the morning and model , surf fish , play horseshoes , shoot pool , play shuffleboard , model , again , again , again , etc.

Dioramartin
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 - 04:46 PM UTC
Congratulations, I beat you to the big R by one month. It'll be weird for a while, the trick is to keep busy having fun...don't think you'll have any problems there! In this country I'm drawing the line at barefoot lawn bowls - What the?!

Cheers, Tim