Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Landships Campaign
Hudson29
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,156 posts
Armorama: 1,024 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My only issue with the Amusing Hobby kit thus far has been the directions; should anyone build this model in the future--and I would highly recommend the kit--do yourself a favor and go over the directions thoroughly. They can be confusing in that there are options for several of the steps: for example, I built a partial suspension without realizing that a full suspension option was also included (and I would have preferred to build the full suspension). Not a huge issue, but potentially aggravating to potential builders. The overall quality of the kit more than makes up for this deficiency, in any case.

I hear you with the destructions. So many of the kits have built lately have been superbly engineered and build well but are let down with really poor instructions. Most show options with no explanation of why the builder should choose one over the other. Many have WRONG parts numbers leading to delay while the builder sorts it all out. My Zvezda T-35 has bits swapped like that. Other times, bits are left off altogether such as the tow cables on the Dragon Jagdpanther I'm just about to start for the Big Kitty campaign.

I truly believe that all manufacturers should look over the instructions from the Wingnut Wings kits. They are the best I have ever seen and even have reference pictures of actual aircraft so the builder knows exactly what he is working on. All options are explained so you can plan your build and get all the proper options included.

Do the rest of the manufacturers ever have modelers actually BUILD their kits to see what needs to be sorted out? Some of these errors are just bone-headed!
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 05:08 AM UTC
A bit more work on the Zvezda T-35 over the last several days. I'm still mostly working on the upper deck & turrets. Four of them are well along now. In the pics below the roofs of the 45mm turrets are still not glued on. I'm waiting for the metal barrels to arrive and then I'll glue stops to the underside of the roofs to keep the barrels from dropping.

A bit of work was also done to the front of the hull including the idler wheel adjusters.

Its starting to look like a Landship . . .
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 05:11 AM UTC
Any idea what this reel is that is on the side of the superstructure:

The destruction say to wind string around it. Not knowing what it is I have a hard time figuring how to detail it . . .
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 06:49 AM UTC
I can't help but chime in to your comments on manufacturer's "instructions"...If you you go to all the trouble to design, pour, manufacture and package a plastic model kit, to cut short the time spent developing good instructions is idiocy...a lot of major cos. are at fault here!
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 07:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can't help but chime in to your comments on manufacturer's "instructions"...If you you go to all the trouble to design, pour, manufacture and package a plastic model kit, to cut short the time spent developing good instructions is idiocy...a lot of major cos. are at fault here!

Yup, you said it brother! These folks do the research to make the model, why not share it with the modeler? It would cost them a little more brass, but very little compared to the cost of the overall project. WNW has set the standard, the rest only have to take notes and do likewise . . .
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The ones with real clear instructions are more the exception than the rule. The need to be multi-lingual spelled the end of written direction which could often clear up the ambiguity of a diagram. A lot of times steps are put in bad order almost as if they are after thoughts.

I know Alan instructions are like that. Build the suspension, then the interior which the suspension blocks from putting the interior into the hull. Almost like they switched step 1 and 2 to test you.

By the way that cable reel on the T-35 fit into an apparatus on the hull side to make a hoist. The thing was so tall and effectively its own tank company it had to be self sufficient. I'm amazed someone didn't mount a couple of motorcycles or a tankette on it for life boats.
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 07:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

My only issue with the Amusing Hobby kit thus far has been the directions; should anyone build this model in the future--and I would highly recommend the kit--do yourself a favor and go over the directions thoroughly. They can be confusing in that there are options for several of the steps: for example, I built a partial suspension without realizing that a full suspension option was also included (and I would have preferred to build the full suspension). Not a huge issue, but potentially aggravating to potential builders. The overall quality of the kit more than makes up for this deficiency, in any case.

I hear you with the destructions. So many of the kits have built lately have been superbly engineered and build well but are let down with really poor instructions. Most show options with no explanation of why the builder should choose one over the other. Many have WRONG parts numbers leading to delay while the builder sorts it all out. My Zvezda T-35 has bits swapped like that. Other times, bits are left off altogether such as the tow cables on the Dragon Jagdpanther I'm just about to start for the Big Kitty campaign.

I truly believe that all manufacturers should look over the instructions from the Wingnut Wings kits. They are the best I have ever seen and even have reference pictures of actual aircraft so the builder knows exactly what he is working on. All options are explained so you can plan your build and get all the proper options included.

Do the rest of the manufacturers ever have modelers actually BUILD their kits to see what needs to be sorted out? Some of these errors are just bone-headed!

That's good to know about Wingnut Wings. Their FE.2b is on my short list of kits to buy at some point in the future (when I've thinned out my stash a bit). I'd heard that the kit quality is excellent; to have great directions to follow would make it that much more enjoyable. All that rigging looks a little intimidating but I like a good challenge.
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 08:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

By the way that cable reel on the T-35 fit into an apparatus on the hull side to make a hoist. The thing was so tall and effectively its own tank company it had to be self sufficient. I'm amazed someone didn't mount a couple of motorcycles or a tankette on it for life boats.

I thought it might be a hoist of some kind but wasn't sure. I built the Hobby Boss T-35 and detailed it with an older Eduard PE set; in neither set of directions was it indicated what the reel-looking-thingy actually was. The builder can make an educated guess, but is THAT any way to fly!? When I get a few minutes, I'll get the T-35 off the shelf and wind some string around reel-looking-thingy.
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 08:28 PM UTC
Hey Paul,

I just have the box opened at this point. It looks great, and pretty straightforward (with easily read instructions!).

But those tracks...with individual pins... those are kind of terrifying.

Steve
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 11:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The ones with real clear instructions are more the exception than the rule. The need to be multi-lingual spelled the end of written direction which could often clear up the ambiguity of a diagram. A lot of times steps are put in bad order almost as if they are after thoughts.

I know Alan instructions are like that. Build the suspension, then the interior which the suspension blocks from putting the interior into the hull. Almost like they switched step 1 and 2 to test you.

Yes, the multi-lingual issue is understandable and certainly part of the problem. Current instructions are often incomplete, have some silly step orders and even contain simple errors like getting parts numbers switched. Building the model has become an exercise in reengineering. We always had to do some of this to accommodate our own painting styles but what I'm seeing lately are basic errors that SHOULD have been caught in the trial building process.

Thanks for the info on the reel. I'll wind some stranded metal cable around it. Any idea how the cables were terminated?
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 11:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's good to know about Wingnut Wings. Their FE.2b is on my short list of kits to buy at some point in the future (when I've thinned out my stash a bit). I'd heard that the kit quality is excellent; to have great directions to follow would make it that much more enjoyable. All that rigging looks a little intimidating but I like a good challenge.

The WNW instructions are so good that you can forego research material if you just want to build. I always like to study the story of the aircraft/vehicle or ship as it deepens my pleasure to understand how the original was developed & used.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Paul,

I just have the box opened at this point. It looks great, and pretty straightforward (with easily read instructions!).

But those tracks...with individual pins... those are kind of terrifying.

Steve

I have built a number of "working" tracks over the last year and found that once you get into a rhythm they usually go smoothly and enjoyably. The one bad experience was a set of Modelkasten T-34/85 tracks that were so fragile that they could not be assembled to the model. They were replaced by a set of Fruils that were a breeze to build and were very strong. The Modelkastens were saved to be used as a load of scrap metal in a future Soviet truck project.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 05:17 PM UTC

And so it begins. An Italeri Crusader Cruiser tank. I will be following the PMMS review for this kit to do it as the early production Mark I. Looking at photos there's a lot of wiggle room as the tanks were continually updated on the production line and in the field. So exact configurations vary.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 09:13 PM UTC
A lot of great builds in this tread. I am really looking forward to get started on my build.

I am planning to do the Char 2C.
XavierB
Visit this Community
Walloon Brabant, Belgium
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great choice ;-)

Next steps for me :

The engine compartment and turrets are done.

Only the tracks left !

Zhivago
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 - 07:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A lot of great builds in this tread. I am really looking forward to get started on my build.

I loved building the Char 2C. From the first time I saw a picture of it many years ago, I wanted to build a kit. When Meng introduced it, I was all over it like a cheap suit. It now sits on a shelf across from my work space and I look at it every day. I hope you'll enjoy the build even half as much as I did.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 04:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I loved building the Char 2C. From the first time I saw a picture of it many years ago, I wanted to build a kit. When Meng introduced it, I was all over it like a cheap suit. It now sits on a shelf across from my work space and I look at it every day. I hope you'll enjoy the build even half as much as I did.

Karl - What a recommendation for this kit! My own kit is near the top of the pile and if I wasn't knee deep in T-35 I would have it on the bench now.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You said it Jesper! I'll bet several of us will pull the trigger for a Char 2C after watching Xavier's excellent build.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 04:40 AM UTC
Xavier - Your Char looks like it is progressing rapidly. Once again, your pictures are great and really help me follow along. The kit barrel looks good. I can't see how the metal ones would improve it. I look forward to your comments on the track assembly . . .
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 04:45 AM UTC
Stephan - I'm glad to see one of these very interesting tanks being built. I too have one of the Italeri Crusader kits in the pile but haven't tackled it yet. Did the later version come without the MG turret? I don't remember my kit having one . . .
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Karl - What a recommendation for this kit! My own kit is near the top of the pile and if I wasn't knee deep in T-35 I would have it on the bench now.

Along those lines, I should mention that I also built a T-35 (the Hobby Boss kit). So for the hell of it I'll post a picture of the Char 2C and the T-35...

Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 12:16 AM UTC
Thanks Karl, both of these kits build well. I notice that your T-35 is the later version with the conical turrets. What did you do with the reel of cable? Did you terminate the cable in some way? The Zvezda destructions are very breezy on this point . . .
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 01:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Karl, both of these kits build well. I notice that your T-35 is the later version with the conical turrets. What did you do with the reel of cable? Did you terminate the cable in some way? The Zvezda destructions are very breezy on this point . . .

Paul, if you look closely you'll see that the reel is empty. I had no idea what to put on it (and Hobby Boss doesn't address it in the instructions; further, the reel that I ultimately used was from an older Eduard PE set that didn't specify what it was for, either) and can only speculate. I believe that it was mentioned elsewhere in this thread that it was a winch, presumably for hoisting supplies aboard. Somewhere down the line I'll see what I can find for period references for hoist cables and hooks/grapples; I'll add something then, I guess!
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 07:36 AM UTC
Sorry for the lack of an update. The workbench is really backed up.

I started work on the HobbyBoss T-28E. We begin with the suspension...there's alot. These are the parts for the road-wheels and the boagies for them. There's lots of small parts that need cleaning. The instructions are kind of odd in how they want you to separate them. All you need to worry about are that some are steel-rimmed and most are rubber-rimmed.

Road-wheel boagies assembled. They go together pretty well.

More suspension pieces. Again, lots of cleanup. The parts become more specific so I marked them with a felt-pen. The idler wheels have these spines on them. They are very delicate and I managed to break some. I'll hide the broken sections with track. They give you two options for the drive sprockets. I went the ribbed ones purely for looks.

All those parts and now we have these suspension subassemblies. We'll put these to the side for now.

Lower hull parts. You have these support fins for the road-wheel boagie mounts. There's idler wheel shafts with some odd looking tensioners. I'm not saying they are wrong...because I don't know...but they look undersized for a tank this large. Drive sprocket mounts/drive covers. And return wheel mounts. Tow brackets and a trime piece.
I went ahead and cemented the upper hull to the lower.

I added those and now time to add the suspension bits. I decided to leave the drive sprocket, idler wheels, and return wheels off for now.

And they are on. The kit comes with PE cover plates for some of the suspension. The styrene parts work as support for the cover plating....yes that's right...all that nice looking suspension will be covered up.
Also shown are the cooling fan and engine hatch. Those have been added and will be seen in the next update.

That's where I am now. More to come later.
XavierB
Visit this Community
Walloon Brabant, Belgium
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 07:42 PM UTC
Karl - your "Normandie" is looking good !

Alex - great work on you T28 !

Last steps of the assembly for me - the huge beast is now ready for painting.

The tracks :

Not so easy to assemble. The pins are way too fragile and break easily. I had to glue a lot of them, which means of course a loss of flexibility. It went better with the second set.

And the tank with both turrets and the engine compartment mounted :

Looking good !

The paint job will have to wait until March - I have some busy weeks ahead.