Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Landships Campaign
Hudson29
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,156 posts
Armorama: 1,024 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 12:12 AM UTC
Ah, thanks X for the clarification. I will keep the early Char on the back burner while keeping an eye peeled for that long sought 1921 fit info. Like they said in the X-Files - "The Truth is Out There."

I will enjoy your build in the mean time . . .
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 12:30 AM UTC
I have been looking forward to building this Zvevda T-35 kit ever since it arrived and last night the time finally arrived to dig in. Most armor builds begin with the suspension & hull. This one begins with the deck. The deck is a large piece and had very little flash, few ejector marks or other issues to clean up. The plastic is a dark green shade that looks like the color the tank was painted. It is easy to work with and melts well with liquid cement.

Once the deck was cleaned up, a matter of only a few minutes, the main turret pedestal was constructed of 3 sides and a top. Once again, easy clean up of the parts. The fit was very nice, gaps were small and easily filled with the liquid cement.

The last bit of work for the evening was the engine cover and ventilators. These too proved easy to build and went quickly. There were 4 long skinny bits with a grid pattern that represented ventilator screens. These could have been PE parts to improve the look, but the area will be hard to see and the kit parts will be fine in the end.

Here are a couple of pics:

I'm looking forward to the next work session.
Scipio2010
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Armorama: 221 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 06:26 PM UTC
I was going to submit the KV-220 'Russian Tiger' for this campaign, however, I have decided to go with the 1/144 Landkreuzer offered by Takom.

The picture here shows the Landkreuzer chassis, 1/144 Maus, and a 1/35 Maus for scale.

So far this is proving to be a very quick build.

ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 08:16 PM UTC
That thing would be nearly 3 foot long in 1/35, insane!
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 09:48 PM UTC
Your Landkreuzer looks like a real Landship. Did it us naval weapons?
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 09:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That thing would be nearly 3 foot long in 1/35, insane!

That would dwarf the T-35.

I didn't get any more done on the model last night. my cold seems to have turned into the flu. I sat at the bench and looked at the parts & destructions but found no inspiration.

Mebbee tonight . . .
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 09:19 PM UTC
Hi All,

Recently back into modelling after 5 year absence. I had already started a HobbyBoss T-35 when this campaign was started so I decided to get a Amusing Hobby Neubaufahrzeug (want to see what the moveable suspension trend is all about). Here is my starting pic.

I will post updates as I go.
XavierB
Visit this Community
Walloon Brabant, Belgium
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 04:40 PM UTC
Great ! This kit is on my wishlist, I will follow with interest !
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 03:56 AM UTC
Amusing Hobby Neubaufahrzeug

Great choice, an interesting vehicle that actually saw service. I do not know this company or the kit, is it a good one or will it be "modeling skills required?"
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 04:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Amusing Hobby Neubaufahrzeug

Great choice, an interesting vehicle that actually saw service. I do not know this company or the kit, is it a good one or will it be "modeling skills required?"

Hudson29, So far it has been straight forward. I chose the Amusing Hobby version because it is suppose to be the most accurate and most detailed. I also wanted to try the workable tracks with movable suspension. I will let you know what I think as I get further on and I will post status pics.
Ramanathan
Visit this Community
Pest, Hungary
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 131 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 12:54 PM UTC
Hello gentlemen,
Though still in progress with the Tank Hunters campaign and always in lack of time but I'd like to enter this campaign with this HobbyBoss T-35. Plus 1/2 kg of brass. And some aftermarket barrels from Aber.
I love this huge behemoth (OK, it's not a Landkreuzer but at least it existed) and want to start it as soon as possible.

cheers,
Zsolt
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 08:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All,

Recently back into modelling after 5 year absence. I had already started a HobbyBoss T-35 when this campaign was started so I decided to get a Amusing Hobby Neubaufahrzeug (want to see what the moveable suspension trend is all about). Here is my starting pic.

Hey Brian, you mentioned the suspension: be careful and read the instructions thoroughly before committing to glue! I'm building this same kit and made the mistake of gluing in optional "partial suspension" components before realizing that there were full suspension pieces that I would have preferred to use. Not a critical mistake but aggravating, nonetheless. So far, it's been a nice build. I'll be posting some pics shortly. Best of luck to you on the build.

Scipio2010
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 08:58 PM UTC
I was able to finish building the Landkreuzer within 2 days, and I've already primed and painted it. This was a very simple and fun build.

@Hudson29 - the Landkreuzer was supposed to be outfitted with a 2 barrel version of a turret used on some of the pocket Battleships (Reason why I painted the turret gray and not dunkel like the chassis)

Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 09:58 PM UTC
Shawn - That is one impressive Landship! Would it have been powered with a ship engine also?
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 09:58 PM UTC
Karl - I didn't see any message here?
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 11:21 PM UTC
Yeah, I screwed up my post while trying to do 10 things at once. No big deal, just a comment on my Neubaufahrzeug build. I'll post again with my updates and (hopefully) some pictures.
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All,

Hey Brian, you mentioned the suspension: be careful and read the instructions thoroughly before committing to glue! I'm building this same kit and made the mistake of gluing in optional "partial suspension" components before realizing that there were full suspension pieces that I would have preferred to use. Not a critical mistake but aggravating, nonetheless. So far, it's been a nice build. I'll be posting some pics shortly. Best of luck to you on the build.

Removed by original poster on 12/21/16 - 18:29:21 (GMT).
Scipio2010
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Shawn - That is one impressive Landship! Would it have been powered with a ship engine also?

Yes, indeed. The Landkreuzer was supposed to have several U-Boat engines as the powerplant.

The 280mm main gun would have had an impressive 40km range though.

Here is the Wikipedia page for the Landkreuzer if anyone is interested in more details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1000_Ratte

Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 06:06 AM UTC
The turret and partial flak outfit of a battle cruiser on dry land. It would really have been nothing more than mobile siege artillery. But the coolness factor is through the roof.

It is Interesting to contrast this to another country's concept of a land cruiser; the British cruiser tanks. A Relatively light and highly maneuverable tank to move in and among enemy armor and defeat it, like a naval cruiser at sea as opposed to a clanking monster that was more than likely to sink into mud and never move again.

That's why my entry is going to be a tank, Cruiser mark VI, A15 Crusader mark I. A type of tank that was to act like a ship at sea and was primarily used like a naval cruiser in the sea of the desert. Start pictures to come as soon as I get to my PC to post them.
XavierB
Visit this Community
Walloon Brabant, Belgium
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 08:27 PM UTC
Decided to crack the box open today.

This is a huge beast ! I will add the figure (if I am able to paint it correctly...) to show the size of the 2C.

Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 11:34 PM UTC
Shawn - Thanks for the link, it filled in a lot of dark areas in my knowledge. I look forward to seeing this monster with all of its gear installed.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 11:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The turret and partial flak outfit of a battle cruiser on dry land. It would really have been nothing more than mobile siege artillery. But the coolness factor is through the roof.

It is Interesting to contrast this to another country's concept of a land cruiser; the British cruiser tanks. A Relatively light and highly maneuverable tank to move in and among enemy armor and defeat it, like a naval cruiser at sea as opposed to a clanking monster that was more than likely to sink into mud and never move again.

That's why my entry is going to be a tank, Cruiser mark VI, A15 Crusader mark I. A type of tank that was to act like a ship at sea and was primarily used like a naval cruiser in the sea of the desert. Start pictures to come as soon as I get to my PC to post them.

The Ratte is the ultimate Landship, like something that Jules Verne might have cooked up. Speer was right to cancel the project.

Great choice with the Crusader, they get too little attention anywhere & I like your idea of using it to show another aspect of the Landship concept.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 11:48 PM UTC
X - I'm glad you are getting a start on this Char 2. I read someplace that it was the largest tank ever built and certainly a real Landship. I look forward to your builds pictures.
Cannon99
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2016 - 03:22 AM UTC
I am going to build the Meng 1/35 kit (TS-021) of the Mk.A Whippet. This is an early version of a light landship where it has a fixed superstructure with one machine gun pointing in each direction. There is only one gunner, who has to move between the various machine guns to fire them. So we are still in the broadside version of ship armament.

Thanks