Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Recce to the Odon !
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2019 - 11:11 PM UTC
Wow is the word, what a total beauty…but surely you also got some more painting to do before dust & dirt e.g. t*res, saddle etc.? I know nothing, but is that green bright enough…?
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 01:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow! Impressive, particularly the charging bull div sign. If the figure is a dedicated DonR, I'm a bit surprised the maker didn't supply him wearing "Pantaloons Motorcyclists" (riding breeches) and the tall lace-up riding boots. I used to wear a pair of the breeches many years ago to ride my bike. They have a tough canvas inner leg and are surprisingly comfortable to wear rather than gathered in normal trousers. He should also have white over blue (Royal Signals colours) arm bands. However if he is an internal regimental rider these are optional.

The kit does supply a fig like that but he is standing and so didn't fit my needs for this scenario. This guy is supposed to be a rider working within the Northants so I may have some wiggle room here.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow is the word, what a total beauty…but surely you also got some more painting to do before dust & dirt e.g. t*res, saddle etc.? I know nothing, but is that green bright enough…?

Yes,this enlarged pic shows some areas that need addressing for sure,like th seat.
Not sure about your green comment though. Do you mean too bright or nor bright enough?
As with all the armies in WWII there is really no "correct" color for these things. I always point out that well known pic of the German uniform jackets that show about 30 of them all lined up and not one is the same.
After some washes and weathering I think the overall color will change a bit.
J
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Wow! Impressive, particularly the charging bull div sign. If the figure is a dedicated DonR, I'm a bit surprised the maker didn't supply him wearing "Pantaloons Motorcyclists" (riding breeches) and the tall lace-up riding boots. I used to wear a pair of the breeches many years ago to ride my bike. They have a tough canvas inner leg and are surprisingly comfortable to wear rather than gathered in normal trousers. He should also have white over blue (Royal Signals colours) arm bands. However if he is an internal regimental rider these are optional.

The kit does supply a fig like that but he is standing and so didn't fir my needs for this scenerio. This guy is supposed to be a rider working within the Northants so I may have some wiggle room here.
J

Jerry,

I think there were around 8-10 Motorcycles within an Armd Regt so that works well.

Brian
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 02:30 AM UTC
Just kidding, I really don’t know what the “right” colour range should be – just seems a tad more ‘69 than ‘44 but weathering will doubtless moderate
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The kit does supply a fig like that but he is standing and so didn't fir my needs for this scenerio. This guy is supposed to be a rider working within the Northants so I may have some wiggle room here.
J

Jerry,

I think there were around 8-10 Motorcycles within an Armd Regt so that works well.

Brian

Lots of bikes around in those days.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 03:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just kidding, I really don’t know what the “right” colour range should be – just seems a tad more ‘69 than ‘44 but weathering will doubtless moderate

Yep,hope so.
British gear I saw in the museums did have a lot lighter color than I expected though. Of course,you can't count on museums to have original paint either.
J
TanksForTheMemory
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 152 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 04:19 AM UTC
Jerry, the Triumph really is a triumph! A thing of beauty.

I had one of these (there's two in the box) in mind for my Italian scene - and who knows? But I'm not looking forward to building the thing...
darreng
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 789 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 04:25 AM UTC
I'm always in awe of your work Jerry.

Can I ask what colour you use for the base of your flesh shade?
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 06:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry, the Triumph really is a triumph! A thing of beauty.

I had one of these (there's two in the box) in mind for my Italian scene - and who knows? But I'm not looking forward to building the thing...

Not too too difficult except for the fork! Wow. I would also search for an alternative to the kit supplied PE wheel spokes. Great little kit though.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 06:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm always in awe of your work Jerry.

Can I ask what colour you use for the base of your flesh shade?

Thanks buddy!
I used the new set I bought from Andreas. 6 tones of flesh included.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 03:13 PM UTC
Pretty close to wrapping this guy up. I see some shiny mud on the tyres needs dulling and some touch-ups yet. Also need the saddlebags.

cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 09:10 PM UTC
Beautiful Jerry , love the m/c and the fig. paint up is your usual brilliance !!!
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 11:12 PM UTC
Superb as always Jerry. Don't know about the shiny mud, I can't see it you are your own worst critic! In any case the weather was pretty bad in Normandy from what I've read, alternating between heavy rain and choking dust, so wet mud may have been hanging around on the unsurfaced roads.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2019 - 01:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful Jerry , love the m/c and the fig. paint up is your usual brilliance !!!

Thanks ol salt!
I still chuckle even when I re-read your posts on Tims' thread. Heheheh
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2019 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Superb as always Jerry. Don't know about the shiny mud, I can't see it you are your own worst critic! In any case the weather was pretty bad in Normandy from what I've read, alternating between heavy rain and choking dust, so wet mud may have been hanging around on the unsurfaced roads.

Thanks Mate,
Yes,this dio concerns Epsom and along with the Crommy I am trying to show those conditions. It was dusty after DDay but the night before this action it had rained,a common occurrence in war when a lot of arty is fired. The Toms and Jocks wrote about passing a miserable night in their shallow scrapes.
Trying to show the mix of old dry mud,dust and new sort of wet mud is tricky and plus,I don't know if anyone will even know what I'm trying to do here! LoL
J
Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2019 - 09:04 PM UTC
Once again, great work Jerry.
I started on the same kit (bike) for a small project a while ago and messed up the wheels so it's back in the box until I can find a suitable replacement.
Looking forward to seeing him in his place with the others.

Cheers

Sean
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2019 - 09:48 PM UTC
Looks great Jerry.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2019 - 01:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Once again, great work Jerry.
I started on the same kit (bike) for a small project a while ago and messed up the wheels so it's back in the box until I can find a suitable replacement.
Looking forward to seeing him in his place with the others.

Cheers

Sean

It is a nice kit. I used a set of resin tires and PE spokes made by somebody called "Wheel O Matic". The wheels are meant to fit Harleys or German bikes but worked just fine using a combo of axle parts from the kit. I think the webpage is called "swash" or something like that. Much easier to build than the kit wheels by far.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2019 - 01:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great Jerry.

Thanks Paul!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2019 - 08:52 AM UTC
Worked up the courage to get to weathering/dirtying the treads.
First app. of mud doesn't look bad. I like the color. Nothing breaks a log jamb like diving right in! LoL

Also another milestone today. I got my newest extravagance in the mail from Blighty.

Looks pretty cool but I think the flat slate roof tiles seem over scale??

Have though tonight and tomorrow for the guys 75 years ago that never came home. And the guys that did,but were forever changed.
J
smydi01
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 197 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2019 - 09:34 AM UTC
Looking good as ever both model and the garden work looks top class.
One small error in one of your replies toms are the customers of ladies of the night.

Nice of you think of the guys on D day brave people.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2019 - 10:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One small error in one of your replies toms are the customers of ladies of the night.

I think it's pretty obvious Jerry abbreviated Tommies to Toms in his post. Your incorrect in your description anyway...

Toms is an urban description of the "ladies of the night" not their customers.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2019 - 11:09 AM UTC
The running-gear looks great... love how you’ve been playing in the mud!

Cheers!🍺
—mike
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2019 - 09:14 PM UTC
Nice mud work Jerry .
I see you finally got some Diodebris molds . I have many of them and can't say enough about how useful they have been .
I use regular old plaster , Dap dry powder mix from Home Depot . People use different types of plaster , some very hard dense [ expensive ] plasters , I really haven't seen the need . I also like the way stains and paints absorb at different rates into the bricks and roof tiles when not primed .
One other thing , I use dish soap [ watered down ] as a release agent . The duck bill and rectangular roof tiles are very thin and fragile . The dish soap also makes cleaning the molds after use easier . Try not to bend the molds when removing the tiles , they'll crack in half every time . I use a small flat blade x-acto to gently pry them out , that's where the soap aids best .
Once you start screwing around with them and get your own system down you'll be very happy you got them .
Sorry I didn't respond earlier but I just got out of jail . Last Saturday night I got a wee bit hammered and at my home town bar saw fit to beat the three piece band up with their own guitars . Or at least that's what the police report said . I went before a judge Monday morning , he looked at me and said " first offender ? " I looked back at him and said " no your honor , first a Gibson , then a Fender " Soooooo I went back to my cell and was just released yesterday .