Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Recce to the Odon !
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2019 - 10:53 PM UTC
From an old song it goes: Gibson - Marshall - Fender is a go go go
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

One small error in one of your replies toms are the customers of ladies of the night.

I think it's pretty obvious Jerry abbreviated Tommies to Toms in his post. Your incorrect in your description anyway...

Toms is an urban description of the "ladies of the night" not their customers.

Yep,that's what I was meaning. Just trying save typing time! LoL
Nice to know th ins and outs of UK slang for the future though!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The running-gear looks great... love how you’ve been playing in the mud!

Cheers!🍺
—mike

Yes,and lots of different types of mud there is! Who knew?
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice mud work Jerry .
I see you finally got some Diodebris molds . I have many of them and can't say enough about how useful they have been .
I use regular old plaster , Dap dry powder mix from Home Depot . People use different types of plaster , some very hard dense [ expensive ] plasters , I really haven't seen the need . I also like the way stains and paints absorb at different rates into the bricks and roof tiles when not primed .
One other thing , I use dish soap [ watered down ] as a release agent . The duck bill and rectangular roof tiles are very thin and fragile . The dish soap also makes cleaning the molds after use easier . Try not to bend the molds when removing the tiles , they'll crack in half every time . I use a small flat blade x-acto to gently pry them out , that's where the soap aids best .
Once you start screwing around with them and get your own system down you'll be very happy you got them .
Sorry I didn't respond earlier but I just got out of jail . Last Saturday night I got a wee bit hammered and at my home town bar saw fit to beat the three piece band up with their own guitars . Or at least that's what the police report said . I went before a judge Monday morning , he looked at me and said " first offender ? " I looked back at him and said " no your honor , first a Gibson , then a Fender " Soooooo I went back to my cell and was just released yesterday .

Hahahahahahahahaaaaaa man o man you really had me going there at first. Good one.
I actually have release agent left from my days as a resin caster but the soap sounds a lot cheaper,which is always nice!
I can't wait to use them but I still think the flat slate roof tiles look way too big. Compared to the ones they used around here anyway.
I agree about the nice property of the plaster for painting. I did several seascapes for ship models and you could get great depth by just blending color darkness,etc.

J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 06:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From an old song it goes: Gibson - Marshall - Fender is a go go go

Never heard that one but I'll take your word for it!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 01:57 PM UTC
Worked some more on the O group. Unusual for me to have any officers in a dio,let alone a whole bunch! Hahaha.

Kinda harsh lighting but you get the point.
J
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 02:18 PM UTC
By Jove, is that British actor, Terry Thomas front and center? ... And someone is actually wearing their PE Spectacles!
Outstanding, I say! (British accent)

Cheerio!🍺
—mike
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 11:44 PM UTC
The middle guy reminds me of someone else…Neville Chamberlain sans ‘tache? But by Crikey the specs, the faces, the colours, the poses..wizard, from The Magician
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2019 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

By Jove, is that British actor, Terry Thomas front and center? ... And someone is actually wearing their PE Spectacles!
Outstanding, I say! (British accent)

Cheerio!🍺
—mike

Thanks buddy!
The middle guy looks so"British" he reminds folks of all kinds of guys from the past. Roger Saunders gets the credit for that head.
The specs were made from wire and are not PE. All the PE specs I had or saw were all out of scale so I had to make my own!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2019 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The middle guy reminds me of someone else…Neville Chamberlain sans ‘tache? But by Crikey the specs, the faces, the colours, the poses..wizard, from The Magician

Thanks Tim,I appreciate it buddy.
Yeah that guy reminds people of all kinds of famous Brits. Great sculpting by Roger.
J
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2019 - 02:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... The specs were made from wire and are not PE. All the PE specs I had or saw were all out of scale so I had to make my own!

And that explains why they look better than the flat aftermarket PE ones I’ve seen through my own specs!
Nice scratch-work, indeed! 👓

Cheers!🍺
—mike
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2019 - 03:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

... The specs were made from wire and are not PE. All the PE specs I had or saw were all out of scale so I had to make my own!

And that explains why they look better than the flat aftermarket PE ones I’ve seen through my own specs!
Nice scratch-work, indeed! 👓

Cheers!🍺
—mike

Thanks again Mikey!
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 01:14 AM UTC
You are doing great work on the figures for this diorama, Jerry.

Now that you mentioned it, I don't recall seeing any officers in your previous dioramas. If they are there, they didn't stand out like the other figures would have. The officer trio for this diorama turned out well.

Cheers,
James
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You are doing great work on the figures for this diorama, Jerry.

Now that you mentioned it, I don't recall seeing any officers in your previous dioramas. If they are there, they didn't stand out like the other figures would have. The officer trio for this diorama turned out well.

Cheers,
James

I have shown officers a few times,but not many. It reflects my army experience. My day to day life rarely included any of the "great and good".
J
TanksForTheMemory
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 152 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 11:22 PM UTC
Jerry, they're a smart trio indeed!

Actually, the chap in the middle reminds me of Edward Fox from A Bridge Too Far...

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 01:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry, they're a smart trio indeed!

Actually, the chap in the middle reminds me of Edward Fox from A Bridge Too Far...

Yep,he does like like Fox a lot!
J
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 10:44 PM UTC
Superb Jerry. Very reminiscent of the "Two Types": in typical British officer fashion what regulation gear is worn is done in an individual manner.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 - 01:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Superb Jerry. Very reminiscent of the "Two Types": in typical British officer fashion what regulation gear is worn is done in an individual manner.

Cool! Thanks for the observation. Someone like you would know a lot more about this than I would,that's for sure!
I did try to do my "due diligence" on the subject. Glad I didn't waste my time.
Thanks again!
J
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 - 07:20 AM UTC
Shortly before D Day General Montgomery issued an order to the British 2nd Army stating that officers could wear what they liked (for the forthcoming campaign) or words to that effect; he of course, was already well known for his own individual interpretations on Dress, not least during his service in North Africa.

Pity the poor soldiers who were cut no such slack!

Brian
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 - 08:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Shortly before D Day General Montgomery issued an order to the British 2nd Army stating that officers could wear what they liked (for the forthcoming campaign) or words to that effect; he of course, was already well known for his own individual interpretations on Dress, not least during his service in North Africa.

Pity the poor soldiers who were cut no such slack!

Brian

Yes,well,so it goes for the "great and good".
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 - 07:06 AM UTC
The headshed from the 2nd Northants has gathered and is ready to unleash the Cromwells!

Still playing around with the figure placement but it will look something like this.
J
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 - 05:15 PM UTC
Superb group JR & brilliant characterizations – can’t help thinking the guy on the bike’s saying “Hey Major that’s the guy who put leeches in my pants, the one with the binoculars”
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 01:07 AM UTC
Beautiful fm work on he figs. Jerry , very , very cool !!!
In regards to your Diodebris moulds , I remember seeing this site a long time ago and just recently found it again . Hirstarts.com , many possibilities . I'm looking at moulds #235 and #259 in the castles section . Many architectural elements that can be mixed and matched and combined with the Diodebris bits .
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Superb group JR & brilliant characterizations – can’t help thinking the guy on the bike’s saying “Hey Major that’s the guy who put leeches in my pants, the one with the binoculars”

Thanks Tim!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful fm work on he figs. Jerry , very , very cool !!!
In regards to your Diodebris moulds , I remember seeing this site a long time ago and just recently found it again . Hirstarts.com , many possibilities . I'm looking at moulds #235 and #259 in the castles section . Many architectural elements that can be mixed and matched and combined with the Diodebris bits .

Thanks bubba! I will have to check that out.
J