Campaigns: Active Campaigns
Campaigns that are either in planning or underway should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Official Tank Destroyers Campaign
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2020 - 09:43 AM UTC
Nice little Stug Martin, you have it looking very nice. The more I see of the 1/72 ranges I get more impressed with the amount of detail they show.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2020 - 10:14 AM UTC
Shell and Norman. Both looking great guys.

Yes Norman, a lot can be seen through the open turret. No easy out on that.

Same for you Martin. The detail on that Braille scale Stug is quite amazing and you have brought it out well..
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2020 - 06:38 AM UTC
did some tinkering again lastnight and have managed to put the roof on the jagdtiger.

Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2020 - 07:08 AM UTC
Coming along nicely David, it's a big old beast. I will be finishing off the running gear and hopefully getting the weathering done later then tracks on ready to tackle the upper hull cam.
Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2020 - 08:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Coming along nicely David, it's a big old beast. I will be finishing off the running gear and hopefully getting the weathering done later then tracks on ready to tackle the upper hull cam.

it sure is. i've just started wondering where i will put it once it is completed lol.

i have now painted the interior and the main weapon, i painted it all NATO Black and have now gone over it all with Tamiya Flat White using the previous paint as a preshading base.

clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2020 - 07:46 AM UTC
My Meng Jagdpanther is coming along nicely. Tracks were, um, tedious, let's just go with that.
Here are a few pictures. I'm actually much farther along now, benefits of being retired, but I can't get the gallery to upload a photo to save my life. Tried for an hour yesterday and another this AM but getting tired of the hassle. Hopefully, Jim will get this sorted out sometime soon.
Cheers,
Rick

and this

Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2020 - 10:40 AM UTC
I was planning on the Stryker anti tank on this, but will be using this instead.

petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2020 - 09:43 PM UTC
Looking nice Rick. At least the track ordeal is over.

An oldie there Kelly. Have fun.
Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2020 - 11:47 PM UTC
really looking forward to seeing those jagpanther and panzers built.

i have managed to get some weathering done this morning, this is the first time i have used tamiya panel line washes that come in those square bottles... it was a bit hit and miss but i think i have managed to pull it all off. you probably wont see much of this once the kit is all buttoned up and finished.

Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 03:26 AM UTC
Everyone is doing outstanding work on all their topics at the moment.

Nice work on the Jagdtiger David, weathering looks fine to me. But its like you said, so much is hidden once the top hull goes on and then if the hatches are closed ........

Thats what changed my mind about detailing my interior and gun assembly, once that hull goes on, any detailing may as well not be there. Only hatch going to be open on mine is the Commanders hatch but i will be doing a half figure for that so insides will still be hidden.
sinsling
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 03:32 AM UTC
Great work Rick! Looks the business! I was planning on doing the MENG JP too...but you're doing such a great job I'm thinking maybe I should try something different. For variety's sake.

Looking forward to seeing this beaut finished.

Regards,
Johanan
Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Everyone is doing outstanding work on all their topics at the moment.

Nice work on the Jagdtiger David, weathering looks fine to me. But its like you said, so much is hidden once the top hull goes on and then if the hatches are closed ........

Thats what changed my mind about detailing my interior and gun assembly, once that hull goes on, any detailing may as well not be there. Only hatch going to be open on mine is the Commanders hatch but i will be doing a half figure for that so insides will still be hidden.

yes I agree, I have a plan to gave British or an American soldier peering through the partially open rear doors.
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 - 05:55 AM UTC
Would like to be able to post a more current photo of my work but can't get through the upload process. I have never had problems before but now I am having fits with trying to uploading photos to the gallery. I was able to upload two photos on Monday but since that time I only get the spinning wheel of death or a message giving me the 'server busy, please try again later' message. Is anyone else having the same issues? Trying to figure out if this is site related or if it is just my set-up.

Thanks,
Rick
LikesTanks
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 242 posts
Armorama: 234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 - 02:04 PM UTC
Progress on my Italeri Jagdpanzer. Lower hull and running gear done

Different colours show how much has been replaced.
Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 - 04:05 PM UTC
Richard that's some fast work on the italeri kit, if only I could go so quickly with my jagdtiger.

kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2020 - 02:55 PM UTC
Hey folks.

I temporarily halted my work on the tamiya Marder I. Was having a bit of problems with the cleanup on the kit so I decided to put it aside for now.

I started this Dragon Stug III ausf F/8 before the quarantine in my country but a lot has happened since then. Worrying about tasks at home and work, as well as the death of my poor dog precluded me from giving enough time to work on the kit. However, after 4 days of community quarantine, I have able to progress significantly.

The kit is pretty old (1990s) and there are a lot of annoying things i chose not to fix (like location markers and missing details). I chose to do a winter whitewash as I am finding that to be a paintjob I love doing and experimenting with. Tracks were a pain though - lots of attachment points and two mould marks to clean per track.

Here she is now:

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2020 - 05:53 PM UTC
Looks great, Nigel! Sorry about your dog.

Gaz
Chaman911
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 308 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 - 01:49 AM UTC
Hi everybody. I would like to submit a vehicle for your consideration into the campaign. This it the Meng BMPT Terminator.

Here are the reasons I think it can be classified as a tank destroyer.
1. It carries four anti tank rockets.
2. It is based of an existing battle tank chassis (same as STUG and M-10 etc
3. It does NOT carry infantry
4. It is not a MBT
Granted this is not a traditional tank destroyer. Would I be allowed to submit this build into the campaign? Thanks for your consideration!
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 - 06:06 AM UTC
Just as a comment on this very interesting subject and kit (which I think a grand build indeed!):

How should the BMPT be "classified"? The BMPT IS "capable" of some AT work, and its heavy-armor T-72 MBT hull confers some capability for survival in an MBT combat environment. It's supposed role (not yet actually well-defined by those Russians who have developed it!) was initially as a somewhat specialized anti-infantry fire-support vehicle designed to deliver higher-elevation rapid fire support into urban structures and "shooting up-hill" in "mountain environments". The inclusion of ATGM missiles was an attempt to broaden its capabilities and increase survival in an MBT environment.

Interestingly, it had started out being equipped with the "Kornet" ATGM system to provide it AT capability. The designers have shifted to the current "Ataka" ATGM system because the Ataka flies much faster than does the Kornet and has much-improved targeting that enables the BMPT to very effectively take on helicopters... A possibly much-preferred role. And developing Russian armor doctrine MAY be moving towards embedding the BMPT more centrally into "classical" armored battalions to provide unit anti-AT-helicopter suppression, along with its initial anti-infantry support fire in urban and hilly environments mission.

Is the BMPT actually a "tank destroyer"? By me, NO. It was never designed to be a primary AT platform. It IS, however, quite capable of destroying most current MBT. Which probably re-raises that lurking question of what really counts as a "TD" in modern armed forces, given as a wide variety of armed vehicles and deployed weapons can effectively destroy tanks, even if neither design-intent nor use-doctrine call for that mission as a primary function!

It's a grand kit and build, regardless of how it may be classified!
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 - 07:59 AM UTC
Just an opinion, but I would have to agree with Bob, it is a great looking kit, but its primary role was not as a pure tank hunter/killer. Nearly all modern tracked infantry support wagons have the capability of engaging and destroying a tank but their primary function is not as a tank killer.

Even when I was in my Striker with swingfire ATGM's, if it had all kicked off for WW3, although I was an AT platform, my priority tgt was any command vehicle (wheeled or tracked), any AA platform, heavy artillery and then actually engaging a tank was 4th priority or an an opportunity target...
Just saying.... But the BMPT is bad ass.
Chaman911
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 308 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 - 08:25 AM UTC
Thanks for the very interesting read Panzerbob, the BMPT does look like deah to any helicopter, that is for sure! Thanks for your service Johnnych. If the consensus is that the BMPT is not a TD then I will respect that decision and go with a StugIII G with zimm.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 - 10:07 AM UTC
Thank you Bryan, I loved my time on tracks .. wouldn't of missed it for anything.... With the BMPT, I would ask David, ..it's his campaign and if he is ok with it then go for it. I would like to see it built whatever the outcome.
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 - 09:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great, Nigel! Sorry about your dog.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz.

Made a bit more progress. tracks are on and more weathering done on the whitewash. Took a bit more in-progress photos

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 - 09:36 PM UTC
Exceptional, Nigel! I have some Friul winterketten. Can't decide upon which kit to use them.
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 01:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Exceptional, Nigel! I have some Friul winterketten. Can't decide upon which kit to use them.

Thanks Gaz! I would say the Panzer III ausf. N as seen in Leningrad or a Panzer IV ausf. G would be perfect for em I actually really like how the winterketten looks - they make the tank appear more fierce (I know, I know they were used for traction). If I had another pair they'd be going to my Tamiya Panzer III ausf. N The rubber tracks are easy to use sure - but they don't give you the right sag.