Campaigns: Active Campaigns
Campaigns that are either in planning or underway should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Official Tank Destroyers Campaign
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2020 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

JTiger, I've only ever seen it on the engine access cover. I wonder if it was a mod by crew or the restoration team ?

Original position but maybe added later, but not the museum. This tank is at Kubinka and unlikely they played around with it.

The hatch has the retaining hook between the hinges, which locked the cover in place when open. Therefore there is insufficient room to fit the mount as per most others, which did not have the hook.

There is also this photograph:
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 06:17 AM UTC
Just a slight change in topic, surely related to this thread, as I'm about to jump in, and want to know...

WHAT photo-serving are folks using to post here and in other campaign threads? I haven't posted many photos in Armorama threads because I don't currently have a good photo-server lined up... Looks like many of you folks DO, so please point me in some good direction(s) so I can sign up and join you!

Thanks! Bob
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 06:56 AM UTC
Hi Bob.

Many of us use Imgur
https://imgur.com/
Just click on the 'New Post' button on the top left of the screen, then select either 'drag and drop' or 'Choose Photo/Video" from the options on the next screen. Select your pic image from your computer then wait until a message "Upload Complete" pops up. Then just put the curser over the pic in the Imgur image and a 'copy link' button pops up. Click on that for the link to your pic.

Go to the Armorama thread Reply box, press the [ img ] button in the gray bar under the Reply box and then Paste the image URL address between the [ img ]tags. Make sure you add the pic type after the Url e.g. .jpg, .png, .gif, etc as IMGUR does not add that.

Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 07:56 AM UTC
What Petbat said. I use Imgur also.
But be careful, you could lose lots of hours browsing that site.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 05:46 PM UTC
Thanks MUCH, guys!

I will resist manfully browsing that imgur... I can see how it could suck one in, and hours to waste I have few of!

Cheers! Bob :-)

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 - 02:55 PM UTC
Still plugging away on Sturer Emil:

The metal barrel is much heavier than the breech assembly. I'll have to glue the trunnions later.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 - 08:06 PM UTC
Looks great Gaz, Loving how this is coming together. The grenades are well done.

However, I'm going to be my usual PIA, as I know you, and know you will take the comments the right way...

The German water canteen cover at this time of the war was a brown colour ranging from a grey brown to light brown and a dark brown, not green.

Example of Early-Mid war:

The MP 40 magazine pouches were black leather at this time too.

...and the signal flare box was black leather

Even if the box is meant to be an MG 34 tool case, it would still be black leather.

I'll crawl back in my box now..... and you can chastise me at the next club meeting
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 - 09:10 PM UTC
Thank you!

Now Peter you know I'm always glad for your input. My canteens were meant to be an ambiguous brown/gray/green color. I always try to vary equipment and uniform Items.

Remember mentioning to me those interior photos of Sturer Emil? Those MP 40 pouches are not the black leather versions. I did some asking around and found there was quite a variation of color in the canvas and leather pouches.

The flare case was very interesting, because the box in the kit looked very metallic, so I just gave it another shade of gray. But I'll know better in the future.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 - 07:45 AM UTC
I stand corrected Gaz. Yes the interior pics do show a later version of the MP 40 Magazine pouches. Should have checked instead of relying on my memory.

I know you said you had a couple of reference pics, but maybe there is one or two here you don't have.

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 - 10:40 AM UTC
Thank you, Peter. I had all bar the last one. It would have been nice to have those little white numbers in decal form for the powder charge containers! Either way, I doubt I’ll do this machine a second time.
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2020 - 01:59 AM UTC
My entry into the campaign will be Dragon's 1/35 JagdPanzer IV L/70. This is the 'Johan Huber' edition. It will also be my first time working with Fruils so that's going to be fun

Petro
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 - 05:20 AM UTC

I touched up some of the base camo mistakes. I then sprayed the ambush pattern on. When doing the green "leaves" i had an issue with my paint in some areas which made me have to respray some of the base yellow. 😡

I staed adding the exterior details that were left off until now. Still have some more to add, then it ill be gloss coat and decal time.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 - 09:32 AM UTC
Nice looking Hetzer!
sinsling
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 - 03:13 PM UTC
Nice work Marc!

I know only too well how much of a pain these "ambush" camo schemes can be and you've done a great job! I've not yet started on my Jagdpanther and here you've nearly finished!

Looking forward to the home run!

Rgds,
Johannan
Removed by original poster on 02/15/20 - 14:16:27 (GMT).
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 02:27 AM UTC
Made a start on the M 10. Lower hull built and in the course of being tidied up and weathered. Upper still being built and simply placed on top

Petro
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 10:00 AM UTC
Thanks for the complements.
I am glad I tried the masks and ambush pattern. It’s another learning experience and while I did have some problems, it wasn’t as difficult as I expected.
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 07:18 PM UTC
Hello lads!

Count me in! I recently purchased the venerable Tamiya Marder II kit for a steal. Would love to see some inspiration on how people tackle interiors (I'm normally allergic to them!)

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 08:39 PM UTC
Norman,
Looks good!

Nigel,
Glad to see you here! That was my first tank hunter kit back in the seventies.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 10:00 PM UTC
Interiors have always been a worry for me so I will be watching Gary's S Emil and Normans M10 with interest to see how they come together (Gary's is already looking spot on).

I suppose its always been the worry (especially now that people will see them posted here) that the finished item will be lacking some crucial detail that either wasnt in the box kit or was beyond my scope to scratch build, where as just the normal kit with exterior finish can be done pretty much to good standard with or without PE etc, and with some artistic measured allowed which I always enjoy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for which kit has the best interior in the box kit for the M10 or M36 as I am still wanting to get one of the them and do either for this campaign or as a stand alone ...
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 10:49 PM UTC
Hi John,

No easy answer in 1:35 - Academy has the best hull interiors, but AFV Club turrets are more complete. I haven't seen a Tamiya one yet so cannot compare them...
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 - 05:08 AM UTC
I can sense some research coming along lol.

Good thing about the 10 and 36 is there seems to be a multitude of after market bits such as stowage etc which seems a must on most of the images you see of both.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 - 08:08 AM UTC
Nigel;

The Tamiya Marder II is indeed a venerable old soldier! That said, it has some pretty solid basic interior to work from - and actually, IF one doesn't seek lots of nuance and detail finesse in their build, builds up pretty nicely right from the box. Not exactly rivet-counter accurate, and not as full as an enhanced interior would be, but it will look pretty nice.

Of course, there is a lot which can be enhanced - the basic things I look at in these open-top things are to make sure that the gun rails / trunnion does not show the usual nasty seam running down the middle (easy to fix with either a strip of thin styrene sheet or foil laid down in the bottom of the "trough" to cover the crack), that the seams always present and visible on the breach block are filled, that flash is carefully removed from all hand-wheels, etc., that the radio maybe gets detailed up a bit - maybe wired in and connected to the antenna (which often appears up on a side wall), that all presented ammo rounds are carefully cleaned up (and where possible, detailed in their holders with little straps to hold them in), and consider carefully thinning the visible edges of the armor walls - they were pretty thin!

The gun barrel is OK but does need TLC to get its best appearance. If the budget and time allow, I would get a metal one - otherwise, fill and sand the styrene thing carefully and you will do OK.

IF you find any grab handles and tie-down rings... These are always molded as little ridges (Ugh!) and are easily replaced with little wire handles - which really pop things up.

The included MG is another place to do a little easy "interior" detailing - drill the muzzle, add a carry strap, make sure all the seams are gone. It's a sort of eye-focus in these things, by me.

Before you get far into your interior, Google the Marder II and just cruise around looking at some of the build pics - it's a pretty popular old subject, and there are a lot of builds which have been posted. This would give you a wide exposure to what folks do with this subject, and could be inspirational, I think!

Do plan on doing some detail painting of bits and pieces in that fighting compartment. Even the limited stuff provided in the kit will show much better with some varied colors, etc. And again, those Google and any other build images will provide lots of possibilities.

Adding in some crew gear is always good - and for the OCD types, the gas mask cans, canteens, dinner kits and helmets (all standard stuff for the crew) can get some detailing (straps, clasps, etc.).

By me, this kit's biggest general failing way back when was in its tracks... I salvaged Dragon link tracks for one of these a long while back - worked out well. But I'm really a link fan, so...

Hope this helps some! Look forward to seeing what you do with this classic!

Bob
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 - 11:52 AM UTC
Thank you all for the encouragement!

Quoted Text

Nigel;

The Tamiya Marder II is indeed a venerable old soldier! That said, it has some pretty solid basic interior to work from - and actually, IF one doesn't seek lots of nuance and detail finesse in their build, builds up pretty nicely right from the box. Not exactly rivet-counter accurate, and not as full as an enhanced interior would be, but it will look pretty nice.

Of course, there is a lot which can be enhanced - the basic things I look at in these open-top things are to make sure that the gun rails / trunnion does not show the usual nasty seam running down the middle (easy to fix with either a strip of thin styrene sheet or foil laid down in the bottom of the "trough" to cover the crack), that the seams always present and visible on the breach block are filled, that flash is carefully removed from all hand-wheels, etc., that the radio maybe gets detailed up a bit - maybe wired in and connected to the antenna (which often appears up on a side wall), that all presented ammo rounds are carefully cleaned up (and where possible, detailed in their holders with little straps to hold them in), and consider carefully thinning the visible edges of the armor walls - they were pretty thin!

The gun barrel is OK but does need TLC to get its best appearance. If the budget and time allow, I would get a metal one - otherwise, fill and sand the styrene thing carefully and you will do OK.

IF you find any grab handles and tie-down rings... These are always molded as little ridges (Ugh!) and are easily replaced with little wire handles - which really pop things up.

The included MG is another place to do a little easy "interior" detailing - drill the muzzle, add a carry strap, make sure all the seams are gone. It's a sort of eye-focus in these things, by me.

Before you get far into your interior, Google the Marder II and just cruise around looking at some of the build pics - it's a pretty popular old subject, and there are a lot of builds which have been posted. This would give you a wide exposure to what folks do with this subject, and could be inspirational, I think!

Do plan on doing some detail painting of bits and pieces in that fighting compartment. Even the limited stuff provided in the kit will show much better with some varied colors, etc. And again, those Google and any other build images will provide lots of possibilities.

Adding in some crew gear is always good - and for the OCD types, the gas mask cans, canteens, dinner kits and helmets (all standard stuff for the crew) can get some detailing (straps, clasps, etc.).

By me, this kit's biggest general failing way back when was in its tracks... I salvaged Dragon link tracks for one of these a long while back - worked out well. But I'm really a link fan, so...

Hope this helps some! Look forward to seeing what you do with this classic!

Bob

Wow, thank you for the exhaustive tips! There's only one problem: I was sick and a bit delirious last night so I ended up building 90% of the kit already...without noticing the issues... I did some basic cleanup but I only realized the extend of the sink holes come morning and I shone a lamp on the surfaces. Oops. I'll try to fix what I can based on your tips. I was planning to build this OOB but I'll see if I can raid some parts from my spares. The pioneer tools really could use some love.
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 - 03:32 PM UTC
Hi John

The Tamiya M10 has no interior in front of the Turret, hence why I have the 2 front hatches closed. It does however have a fairly detailed turret interior to the extent that they provide decals for the ammo that is stowed.I also have an Academy M36 in the stash, which is the M10 hull and it does have a full drivers compartment with transmission etc. The turret on the M36 is somewhat sparser, but Having built the old Italeri M36B1 2 years ago, that may be a feature of the prototype. Neither Tamiya nor Academy have a detailed engine compartment. I would say that the fit on the Tamiya kit so far is first rate, and I suspect the Academy M36 will not be as good.