Campaigns: Active Campaigns
Campaigns that are either in planning or underway should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Official Tank Destroyers Campaign
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 1,390 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 - 08:10 AM UTC
Well, time to show my participant(SU-100 by Zvezda)

Will use RB Models barrel, MSD tracks and some leftover PE from Eduard,Aber and Voyager, might even venture into making brass fenders.

This will be another Bulgarian Cold War AFV for my collection:

Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 - 10:35 AM UTC
Looking like a nice selection there Angel, I just finished the back armour plate of my Jagdtiger, still contemplating the PE or kit rear mudguards.. will be finishing the top hull this week hopefully.
I always forget the drain on my eyes when I start working on the etch, I may look at getting one of those magnifying head pieces with LED's.
Everyone's builds are all looking good so far, I will try and do a few update shots later this week.

ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 1,390 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 - 11:05 PM UTC
Yes, John!

And the selection is bound to grow...

I'll also need to use some spider-web wheels(late T-34 type)- both vehicles on display at NMMH,Sofia show a mishmash of wheel types...

I have a set of MSD spider-webs somewhere in my stash, but I'm still trying to find them...

Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Charlie, have you test fit the super structure to your hull? I have the same kits and have noticed in lots of pics that there is a pretty big gap between the hull and super structure on the top front running across just in front of the drivers position on a number of the builds I have seen. Some are more noticeable than others. Wondering if your is showing that gap. Can’t wait to see your build. I am still debating between doing this kit or Dragons Stug III w/ waffle zimmerit.

Bryan, sadly you're right. I did a dry fit of the front portion of the upper hull, and that gap jumped out at me. Really odd because the back deck on this kit has a beautiful fit with no gaps anywhere. I'm planning on filling the gap with either Vallejo's plastic putty, or plastic strip and putty. The gap is not in a zimmed area so that's a blessing. Once I've got the gap filled in we'll see how much of that area needs sanding down so the surface lays flat at the right level.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 04:46 AM UTC
well, will put this WIP image up, just showing the rear plate and the bits I've added minus the mudguards.

Wheels are on as a dry fit so I can at least start the indy track links and get those made up, and will now concentrate on doing the upper hull. After a second look at the kit in general, the general detail wasnt as bad as i first thought, but decided to carry on with a limited fit of the PE just to liven it up a bit.

Still undecided on the final paint finish ......
Chaman911
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 308 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 10:53 AM UTC
Glad to hear it is in a non zimmerit area! Fix should not be too bad in that case. Please post some pics of your fix when u are done. I would like to see what you chose to do. Good luck! I’m sure it will turn out well👍🏻
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 03:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This will be another Bulgarian Cold War AFV for my collection:

So unlike you to do a Bulgarian vehicle Angel.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 - 11:59 AM UTC
OK... For the campaign manager: Does a "straight" StuG III G count here? While built primarily for AT use, the StuG III G was formally classified as "Sturmartillarie" and not as a Panzerjager nor a Jagdpanzer (Formal classes of dedicated tank-destroyers). I have a Dragon III-G early with some goodies waiting for a build.

IF not the StuG III G, Dragon's Marder II and Panzerjager I are on hand and ready for building...

I also have a very different dedicated AT vehicle - Bronco's GAZ "Baby Carriage" AT-missile-launcher... waiting for a build...

Let me know and shape my choice!

Bob
Chaman911
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 308 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 - 01:11 PM UTC
I am also interested in this as I planned to build a Stug III G as well.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 - 04:46 PM UTC
WIP photos:

Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 - 09:23 PM UTC
I'm not an expert on German armour but I'm gonna say that the Stug G is in. it comes under the heading of tank destroyer in the game world of tanks.
I think I might have to add that into the campaign description and hopefully that should give people a little wiggle room for building something out of their stash.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 - 09:47 PM UTC
Looking good Tat. At least the tracks have not gone the way of crumbling like others have had to theirs.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 - 10:26 PM UTC
The big tiger is looking good, It will be interesting to see further on with the track given the correct sag and weight .... what are methods people use to get these band V tracks looking correct ? I usually just super glue the other type of vinyl track to the top of the wheels in the best position I can get them to look weighted/sagged, is it the same for the band type ?
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 - 10:36 PM UTC
Tat, I just noticed on the previous pics and these you just posted .... the internal engine detail area ... is that part of the actual hull made in one piece, or is it a separate section you put in ? the reason I ask is that it looks like its gone in the wrong way round as the way it is in the pics, the engine is fully at the rear and it should be more forward in front of fuel fillers ??
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 02:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good Tat. At least the tracks have not gone the way of crumbling like others have had to theirs.

Thanks Pete. Yeah, holding up so far
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 02:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tat, I just noticed on the previous pics and these you just posted .... the internal engine detail area ... is that part of the actual hull made in one piece, or is it a separate section you put in ? the reason I ask is that it looks like its gone in the wrong way round as the way it is in the pics, the engine is fully at the rear and it should be more forward in front of fuel fillers ??

Yes John, it is a separate part. I just followed what's in the instructions. Hmmm though I think I get what you mean...

Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 12:57 PM UTC
The build continues.
Wheels added temporarily for track assembly. Upper superstructure assembled, but not complete. It's just resting on the hull. Rear fenders don't look to square of the superstructure.
Push marks on interior of the Idlers. There are 3 sets to choose from and they all have them. I don't know if you will see them when complete. I filled them and sanded , but awkward angle of the wheel makes it tough.
Push marks also are inside of the track links and there are a few on the rear tow hooks, but they fill in easily enough.
Plastic is soft, but not too bad if you pay attention and use a sharp blade.
I am enjoying this kit.

Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 03:05 PM UTC
More work done. Tools are on both fenders, as well as the back deck glued down. Used MK tracks to replace the DS "crumbs" that were in their plastic tomb. THE MK tracks are all done and ready to go on when the time comes. Bryan, I'll be sure to post pictures of my attempt to fill that gap at the front of the fighting compartment!

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 05:50 PM UTC
Guys,
You're doing great work. Here's my small effort at Sturer Emil and my second attempt at the hairspray technique.

All of the road wheels are glued on for eternity.

I'm trying to improve my weathering details. The drive on Stalingrad kept many of the German troops living in a state of privation, often not having anything to eat for a day or two. Many infantry and support units had to leave their motorized transport in the place where it had run out of fuel. Fuel for the panzers and ammunition had priority. So I've allowed for small amounts of dark steel on the bolt heads as they would have been in constant contact with dirt, dust, and steppe grass with little chance for touch up painting.

Happy modelling!

Gaz
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 11:08 PM UTC
Guy's all the work is looking great so far. Tat, hope my comments didnt spoil the build on the baby JTiger, its a good looking kit, someone at DML in the instructions printing dept made a big goof though.
Gazza, the ST Emil is coming along nicely, I think the weathering is looking good, nice and subtle, dont overdose it.
Keep it up

sinsling
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 11:26 PM UTC
Great work Tat, Marq, Guy and Gaz!

You're making me itch to get cracking on my JP. Just wrapping up some other projects. Also deciding whether to I/d my kitty as part of 4th Co. 9 SS Pz Abt Hohenstaufen, or sJP Abt 560 which was attached to 12th SS HJ division. Decisions, decisions....

Thanks again for the inspiration guys!

Rgds,
Johannan
k_mero4
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 369 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 - 02:43 AM UTC
Hi! The campaign starts off great. With nice models and good ideas.
My working progress.
The main part of the machine's construction is done. This is followed by the application of the base color and after the paint - the making of the tracks (very tedious work).

Have fun.
Kalin
Martinvidas
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 322 posts
Armorama: 300 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 - 06:50 AM UTC
Until I am waiting for the barrel to arrive.. some small paint job:

Good evening to all of you
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 - 11:23 AM UTC
Hey gang, there's a lot of turretless WW2 German stuff going on here, so I'll mix it up with a Cold War version - the KanonenJagdPanzer (or KaJaPa) from Revell. I haven't cracked the factory seals yet, but will do soon...

LikesTanks
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 242 posts
Armorama: 234 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 - 03:22 PM UTC
I'll watch the KaJaPa with interest, have it in the stash and considered it for this or Bundeswehr 2020. Actually going for the earlier version

but I'll have to do a little mix and matching from the spares box to get something approximately accurate.