_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Dream Model
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 03:54 AM UTC
Don't know if anyone asked this before - and I know how you guys love ME asking questions - but, to commerate my 150th post here on this awesome forum I'd like to ask what is everyone's 'dream model'? This could be an armor model that hasn't yet been done, or a vehicle from a favorite show that hasn't been kitted.

For me - I got one favorite last year when Polar Lights came out with their Mach V car from Speed Racer. I love Jonny Quest too - both the original and the '90's updated version, but no vehicle kits have appeared from that. For real-world armor modeling, the last decade has been pretty damn good for new subjects. The only thing I haven't gotten that I wanted was a 5-ton M54 series truck. Other than that, I'm a happy guy.

What say you all?

Gunnie
Ribble
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 04:12 AM UTC
1/35 M113 ADATS, I'm definitely not a scratchbuilder.

JC Hayes

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 04:25 AM UTC
Gunnie,
Well I have actually satisfied most of my "dream models" through my life. All save the first kit I ever salavated for, the Space 1999 Hawk Fighter. I recently found out that Airfix actually did release a kit for this (in England I assume), but I never knew it was available otherwise I would have scarfed one up.

Two of my other dream kits that are safely stored away.

Halycon Aliens - the "Sulaco" - Still unbuilt but one of my favorite sci-fi designs.

Monogram's (now Revell-Monogram) Battlestar Galactica - I wanted this kit in 1978 but it was pretty rare. I recently got one when it was re-released. I started it but it's still unfinished.

Yeah I know. No armor or military stuff. But I am also a big sci-fi fan.

Oh I think I would add one though....

A large-scale Star Wars AT-AT Walker. Maybe something around 18" tall? Make one heck of a dio!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 04:36 AM UTC
Yeah - I'm a Star Wars fan too! A large-scale AT-AT or AT-ST would be welcomed.

A 1/35 AT-ST, perchance to dream...

Gunnie
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 04:46 AM UTC
The Arclite Siege Tank - Would definitely be high on my list.

T-28 - Super Heavy

GamaGoat

Later,
Tim
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 05:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Arclite Siege Tank - Would definitely be high on my list.

T-28 - Super Heavy

GamaGoat

Later,
Tim

Dude! :-) I can't believe you ain't got that built already! Are there bigger pics of that beast anywhere else?

Gunnie
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 05:18 AM UTC
No models of it that I know of... there are some sketches of it in one of the Starcraft manuals... but... it's just such a hammer i love the darn thing...

Later,
Tim
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 06:29 AM UTC
I'd like a fully detailed 1/25 scale M1A1 tank with full interior (engine too) with removeable turret and upper hull access panels. Very much like Tamiya's 1/25 Tiger, no RC or sound chip, just a good quality kit. Done in the markings of A-65 8ID 5-77AR "Almighty TAZ II", had more fun it that tank than any other.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 06:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd like a fully detailed 1/25 scale M1A1 tank with full interior (engine too) with removeable turret and upper hull access panels. Very much like Tamiya's 1/25 Tiger, no RC or sound chip, just a good quality kit. Done in the markings of A-65 8ID 5-77AR "Almighty TAZ II", had more fun it that tank than any other.

Dunno - I think the Tamiya-Gods might hear you and fill that wish sooner than later. That sounds like something right up their alley. Who'd of thought they'd go for the big Pershing tank before it was announced?

Gunnie
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 06:52 AM UTC
I think the Adats idea would be great also. If you where going to do a scratch model wouldn't that be a heck of a project. I wouldn't say it would be my dream model, not sure what would be but it would be a cool one. If I did have a model dream per say it would probably be the ability to get decals for any unit in the US military. I know I could make them with some equipment and computer art skills but it would be nice to just be able to buy them.
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 08:00 AM UTC
I have an article on an ADATS conversion for the Canadian Army. There was also a FOG-M conversion too. Both were based on an M113/M577.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 09:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have an article on an ADATS conversion for the Canadian Army. There was also a FOG-M conversion too. Both were based on an M113/M577.

Think I have that one too - old Military Modeler magazine?

Gunnie
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 10:25 AM UTC
Yes, first modeling magazine I ever bought.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 11:12 AM UTC
Well Gunnie I like what you started here, I think my dream model would be Monograms 1/48 B-24Liberator. I built it back in the 70's (I'm dating myself here) and it was areal cool kit. Now since my skills have improved since then, I would like another crack at it. If I couldn't have that, I'd take a 1/20 scale model of Racer X's car.

Ron C. :-)
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 07:29 PM UTC
The Liberator was reissued within the last few years. I remember one sitting on the shelf at the mall hobby shop in Burlington, NJ (might still be there). It is in a Monogram "Classics" box complete with collector's sew on patch! I didn't get it because the one I built had the nose turret and this one didn't.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 10:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well Gunnie I like what you started here, I think my dream model would be Monograms 1/48 B-24Liberator. I built it back in the 70's (I'm dating myself here) and it was areal cool kit. Now since my skills have improved since then, I would like another crack at it. If I couldn't have that, I'd take a 1/20 scale model of Racer X's car.

Ron C. :-)

Cool - what was Racer X's car called? It had "Lightning" in it...

Jim
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 10:28 PM UTC
I would like to see a 1/35 Chinook and PaveLow to go with my BlackHawks and Apachies.
Also, I never understood why nobody ever made the CUCV series of trucks. I had a Blazer assigned to me when I was stationed in Germany and ended up being the officers and 1SGT's driver
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 10:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would like to see a 1/35 Chinook and PaveLow to go with my BlackHawks and Apachies.
Also, I never understood why nobody ever made the CUCV series of trucks. I had a Blazer assigned to me when I was stationed in Germany and ended up being the officers and 1SGT's driver

Epi - I have a dream model (i.e. insanity) that I'm slowly cutting pieces on. I've always wanted to do a 1:35th scale Tarhe. I'm fascinated with the Skycrane, and one day I'll finish this monster chopper. I work on little bits at a time while trying to find information on it. Your helicopter post reminded me of it - now I ain't gonna get other modeling done for several days now... :-)

Gunnie
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 10:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually there was a nice snap-tite 1/32 scale Blazer that I saw someone superdetail into a CUCV. It was nicely done. I think Revell, Monogram or MPC did the kit. I don't know how accurate it was (proper year of Blazer), but it convinced me. This was about the mid-80s.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 10:56 PM UTC
Gunnie,
Im sorry!!! Will the nightmare never end!!!!!!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 10:58 PM UTC
Sabot,
I remeber seeing that kit and thought of the same idae but it was going to be some work and alot of scratch bulding. At the time, I was very intimidated about doing a project like that.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 04:23 AM UTC
As far as dream models go...how about an M6 38-Ton HST, or any other of the HST's. Another really cool one would be the M23 Ammunition trailer to follow along with the M59 Longtom. I would love to see an ammo trailer to be pulled by somthing like Tamiya's 2 1/2 ton 6 x 6. Would make a cool dio. Ahhh dreams....
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 04:39 AM UTC
When I first got into modeling there was a large car model, a Bugatti Ithink, that had a working engine, not R/C mind you but everything worked...It was a whole $150.00 then! I remembering trying to think up ways to make money to get that thing. There was one displayed at the local modelshop.

Anybody remember what model I'm talking about. I don't remember anything like who made...I don't have a mind like Rob(Sabot)
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 08:01 AM UTC
Gunnie;
As you said the 5-ton M54 trucks series is a dream.
What about a pickup the US Army used during the late 70´s mid 80´s I guess it was based in a civilian model (the Comanche???) I converted it long time ago from a Monogram 1/24th model. My army´s country also used that pickup that same time....it most be in 1/35th. Anybody could help me remember the correct name? SABOT?
cheers
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 09:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What about a pickup the US Army used during the late 70´s mid 80´s I guess it was based in a civilian model (the Comanche???) I converted it long time ago from a Monogram 1/24th model. My army´s country also used that pickup that same time....it most be in 1/35th. Anybody could help me remember the correct name? SABOT?

Actually, we used the Dodge pickup truck, they were called M880-series, or refered to as 5/4s (five-quarters) in reference to its 1 1/4 ton cargo capacity. There was a Jeep Comanche pickup truck, but it was before my time. Our military probably used it, DJ would know, I first put on BDUs in Sept 82 and the Army Guard was going to the M1008-series CUCVs (Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicles) which were basically Chevy Blazers and pickups.
 _GOTOTOP