Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
"Show Your Teeth" Official Campaign Thread!
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 05:57 PM UTC
Hi all!

Keep them coming!
Jay, the Monogram 1/48 P-39 kit has additional ground crew and detailed engine isn't it?
Jeroen and AJ, Hellcats and Corsairs are not known to have carried a lot of Nose Arts. This makes them very interesting subjects for the "Teeth" Campaign!
Leon, I'm sorry but I can't see your picture There is a Fortune City Domain picture instead... don't forget you can use the Official "Show your Teeth" Gallery to upload your pictures. This will prevent you from using your own Gallery space and in addition make a nice collection of pictures for the Campaign!

Jean-Luc
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 06:41 PM UTC
Hi all.
Heres my entry for the campaign. Its the Airfix 1/72 P40 Kittyhawk and will be built OOB in 112 Sqn markings.

The main fusalage and wing section is complete and in the process of being sanded and cleaned up ready for priming.Its the first time Ive used the putty/nail varnish remover technique for filling and I estimate its saved me about 5 hours work.I shall certainly be using it in the future.

Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 581 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 07:21 PM UTC
Jean-Luc, This is a A-7E Corsair II, I should have specified
Minuteman
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 261 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 08:26 PM UTC
Jean-Luc,

Unfortunately, no this particular kit only came with a pilot and a rather bad one at that. It has a single panel to view the rather sparsely detailed engine. However, with the time allotted I think this kit has potential.

Jay
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 09:13 PM UTC
Hi all!

AJ, you already said it was a A-7E Corsair II... it's only that sometimes I'm having troubles with my memory... :-) Maybe I should start a list of all participants and their entries not to make such mistakes again! By the way, was there any WW2 Corsair with a Sharkmouth? I don't think so...
Jay, as I said "detailed engine" It was more ironically meant as the Monogram kit is pretty old and not to today's standards. But as you said, I saw some build into very nice models... in fact as good as the recent Eduard version.

Jean-Luc
Diablo
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 01:24 AM UTC
you are right Jean-Luc,the only nose art i know [teeth] where used on the hellcats from the carrier uss princeton.after the carrier sunk,the hellcats ended up on other carriers and where painted over google is great,. :-)
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 02:05 AM UTC
This is my Hasegawa P-40E in 1/48.
I didn't realize Hasegawa kits could be so tempermental! Everything about this plane is warped, wings, fuselage, tale.
This is really going to test my skills.....or lack there of.

TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:23 AM UTC
Hi Hermon!

Don't underestimate you, it looks very good so far! The cockpit seems to have been made by a veteran builder!

Jean-Luc
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 581 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 01:32 PM UTC
jean Luc, I couldn't find any pics of a WWII F4U corsair with shark teeth.

I think for a while the VA-93 was the last squadron with shark teeth on their aircraft for a while.

Speaking of which I may have a special treat picture of my corsair II when it's completed. I wont tell you about it though!!!!!
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Speaking of which I may have a special treat picture of my corsair II when it's completed. I wont tell you about it though!!!!!

Hi all!

AJ, this makes me curious!

I started my T-6 Texan yesterday. I cleaned and painted the cockpit parts and wanted to do the same with the motor as I noticed there was no engine part on the sprue!

For the first time in my life I will have to ask a manufacturer for a replacement part! I will send a letter with a formular I found in the kit to Heller tomorrow... let's see how long it will take to get that Pratt&Whitney engine... Grrrrrr
Now I have to do something else meanwhile...

Jean-Luc
CPTKelley
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:58 PM UTC
First One Done....!!Hasegawa Curtiss P-40E Warhawk finished!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I finished up the project last night...looks like I'm the first one to complete an entry!! I started 01 JAN 2006, ended 09 JAN 2006. I wanted to complete it in a week's time, as this was just a break from some other laborious projects....It was still very enjoyable!.

The model was airbrushed with Tamiya Acrylics after Mr. Surfacer 1200 went down as a primer. The kit decals were nice and thin, and conformed nicely with Micro Sol/Set. The only aftermarket item is the Eduard colored PE seat harness. I used E-Z line for the radio antennae wires...finally getting the hang of that stuff! The only weathering I did to this project was a Burnt Umber oil wash in the panel lines. I drilled out the weapons' blast tubes, the exhausts, and the iron ring sight forward of the windscreen. I also dropped the flaps and aerilons...although both aerilons shouldn't be down...I'll try to remember that next time! Finished it off with a mix of Future and Tamiya flat base mixed in for a nice satin finish. Hope you like it!

VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:59 PM UTC
Hey Jean-Luc,
thanks for the kind words. If my work so far looks good it is only because of all the help, tips and advice that I've recieved here at Armorama. Two months ago I would never have tried anything this tedious.

Quoted Text

I started my T-6 Texan yesterday. I cleaned and painted the cockpit parts and wanted to do the same with the motor as I noticed there was no engine part on the sprue!

For the first time in my life I will have to ask a manufacturer for a replacement part! I will send a letter with a formular I found in the kit to Heller tomorrow... let's see how long it will take to get that Pratt&Withney engine...

Good luck on that! When I opened up my Hasegawa P-40 kit the PE parts were missing. I also opened up my brand new Hasegawa Heinkel He111H-6 kit and it too was missing the PE parts. I have emailed Dragon, the maker of the PE parts and also Hasegawa......2 weeks ago.......and still no reply.
I'm beginning to think there is a world wide Hasegawa conspiricy directed towards me.
Hermon
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 12:05 AM UTC
James......................all jokes aside............................that is the most beautiful plane I have ever seen!

You did yours in the markings of my Uncle Ed's plane, the same way I'm planning to do mine.

If I was from Boston I'd say your model was "wicked awsome".......but I'm not from Boston so I'll say once more.....that is the most beautiful plane I have ever seen......ever!!!!!

Hermon
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 12:55 AM UTC
Hats off to the Captain.
WOW,,,How did you manage to build that in a week??
Looks fantastic,great weathering and a fabulous spray job.
Takes me 4 days from primer to the decal stage,allowing for drying time,and Im working in 1/72 so no cockpit detail.I reckon it would take me about 3 days to build/paint/wash a cockpit alone in 1/48.
A great start to the campaign.
Congratulations
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 01:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

First One Done....!!Hasegawa Curtiss P-40E Warhawk finished! Hope you like it!

You are kidding, are you? Of course I like it! This is a great model! The first picture is very impressive! This is a very good start for the 'Teeth" Campaign. The first one is a P-40 with Sharkmouth... thanks a lot James!

Hermon, I hope there's not a Curse on the Campaign... first your PE fret, now my engine! At last James seems not to have been affected by this!

Jean-Luc
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 05:11 AM UTC
Hi everyone.
Im around the halfway stage with my P40 Kittyhawk so I thought Id post a progress report.
Spraying is complete.Needs a few small touch ups to sort out bleed here and there.
Anyone got any tips for sorting out a paint ridge??
Most of the bits and pieces are painted up and ready.

Next stage is future/decals,and I hope to post some pics of the completed project in a few days.
CPTKelley
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 03:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

James......................all jokes aside............................that is the most beautiful plane I have ever seen!

You did yours in the markings of my Uncle Ed's plane, the same way I'm planning to do mine.

If I was from Boston I'd say your model was "wicked awsome".......but I'm not from Boston so I'll say once more.....that is the most beautiful plane I have ever seen......ever!!!!!

Hermon

Thanks Hermon, Jean-Luc, and Nigel!! Hermon, it's a special honor to have the nephew of Ed Rector with us!! I'm sure mine is 1/2 as nice as yours will be! Sorry to hear about your troubles, Hasegawa kits are not usually an issue like this.....It must have been something knowing your Uncle...I bet he had some great stories!!
Cheers,
JK
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 05:26 PM UTC
Hi all!

Nigel, the "Blu-Tack Sausage" technique seems to have no secrets for you anymore! Your desert scheme looks very good so far... can't wait to see the decals on it... after a good coat of future of course!
James, yes it's an honor to have the nephew of a Flying Tigers pilot with us on this Campaign! Hermon, don't hesitate to tell us about your uncle in this thread... not only about the time he was pilot, but also what he did after... in his "normal" life...

Jean-Luc
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:58 PM UTC
Lampie,
Yet another nice Spit!
I'm going to have to try that Blu-Tack Sausage method if I can ever figure out how it's done.

James,
Don't feel honored that I'm here. I'm just a nobody who happens to have a famous Uncle. It is a privilage for me to be here learning from the best and improving my skills.

Jean-Luc,
It would take more than one thread to tell all the cool stories about my Uncle. :-)

Here's one little bit of info:
The very first time the Flying Tigers took to the air in actual combat was Dec. 20 of 1941. My Uncle shot down a Lily bomber near Kunming. He then set his sights on another bomber. He chased it a bit too far and actually ran his plane out of fuel and had to crash land. Some Chinese peasants helped him get back to his squadron. That's quite a "first day on the job". Getting his first kill and losing his plane on the same day. :-)
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 10:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

He chased it a bit too far and actually ran his plane out of fuel and had to crash land. Some Chinese peasants helped him get back to his squadron. That's quite a "first day on the job".

Hi Hermon!

Yes that's quite a "first day on the job"!!!
Do you know if your uncle already had his flying jackets with chinese instructions on the back? This could have saved his life on that occasion!

Jean-Luc
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you know if your uncle already had his flying jackets with chinese instructions on the back? This could have saved his life on that occasion!

Actually Jean-Luc, I don't believe he even had the flight jacket with the Chinese instruction/map/flag sewn into it at that time. If my memory serves me.......I remember him saying that he took off wearing only his pants, undershirt and cap. He didn't even have on his shoes. The AVG didn't use radar. They relied on "spotters" stationed all over the area who used relay radios to report on Japanese movements. The AVG wasn't really 100% prepaired for combat on this morning but after months of practice and drilling the eager pilots basically disobeyed orders and decided to engage the bombers.

As a side note, the "chinese instructions" you mentioned were printed on silk and sewn into the pilots jackets. My Uncle actually gave me the one he wore for those years when I was a kid. Sadly, my parents home burned down a few years later and everything was lost.
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:09 AM UTC
Hi again Hermon!

Thanks for sharing these nice stories... I won't bother you more with them today. I'll keep some questions for the next days! :-)

Jean-Luc
VonCuda
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:31 AM UTC
Your questions certainly don't bother me Jean-Luc.

I've forgotten alot of my Uncles stories over the years and getting back into building model planes and talking to others of like mind has stirred up some fond memories.
I don't know how useful any of my information will be to anyone but I'm happy to share it.

Hermon.
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 03:33 AM UTC
Hi all!

This is the current status of my Texan.

I painted and build the cockpit and glued the two fuselage halves in place. The kit will be an Out of the Box project and the biggest work so far was to thin down the seats wich where very thick. The grey smear on the rollover structure is putty and will be sanded to shape later. I think it will look like a plane in the next days with the wings on...

Jean-Luc
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 04:18 AM UTC
Looking good Jean-Luc!
Interesting reading Hermons Uncles stories.
Little one of my own that ties in with your project.
After gaining his wings in a Stearman,my father then went on to solo a Texan/Harvard after 8 1/2 hours on the type.The average time to solo one of these was 11 hours.