Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
"Show Your Teeth" Official Campaign Thread!
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 04:54 AM UTC
Isnt it amazing what you find on this site while your waiting for you decals to dry?
Found this flight simulator in the reference section.!
Does anyone have the scratchbuilding skills to make one?
Not strictly an aeroplane I know but Im sure Jean-Luc would be generous if someone came forward with this little beauty!!
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:28 PM UTC
Hi Nigel!

Great picture! :-)

The pilots must have laughed as they had to climb in such a thing! I saw other models wich were even more ridiculous! But if you look closely, the plane has 5 killer markings so it is an ace and deserves respect...
Nigel, your father is pilot? I wonder how many Armorama members are pilot themselves or have pilots in their Family? I don't know of a pilot in mine! But I think, like many aircraft model builders, I must have been a pilot in an other life!

Jean-Luc

PS If someone makes a model of this flight simulator, of course it will be accepted for the Campaign! By the way, were did you find the picture?
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 581 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 02:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Your questions certainly don't bother me Jean-Luc.

I've forgotten alot of my Uncles stories over the years and getting back into building model planes and talking to others of like mind has stirred up some fond memories.
I don't know how useful any of my information will be to anyone but I'm happy to share it.

Hermon.

Hermon, My Grandfather was a ground crewman with the Flying Tigers!!
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 05:54 PM UTC
Hi all.
Jean-Luc...the pictures of the trainer are on Armorama!
Look in the reference section of the gallery under aircraft and there are a few different shots.
My father is ex RAF. He did his training at #1 FTS in Tyrell Texas.Not sure exactly when but I know he was there in 1943 from photos. He was demobbed in 1946.
Finishing training just in time for the end of hostilities,he never flew on Ops. Lucky!
The last flight in his log book shows himself and the pilot baling out of an Argus in Jan 1946,and gaining his membership to the Caterpiller Club. But thats another story
Maybe we should start another thread for all these stories before we take over SYT?

PS,,today my P40 will get its teeth :-)
Diablo
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 04:34 AM UTC
Little update,kit is build so got the first painting going.i am happy with the white undersight but not to grazy about the blue uppersight,can you guys give some opinions about that.should the black preshaded panellines be less seen or what is wrong with that.between these two colours there will be a lighter shade of blue along the middle of the fuselage from back to front,so maybe that will [break] down the dark blue??.i used matt colours and will spray a gloss coating when paintjob is done,is that the way to go or not?.i am new to this aircraft building so i have a lot to ask as you can see :-) .

greetings jeroen,.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 05:07 AM UTC
Hi Jeroen, the bottom looks good, but for the top, you need a few more passes with the airbrush to blend in the pre-shading, and possibly with a toned down dark blue, don't be shy in using more than one tone of blue to mix and blend the underlying layers. Keep up the good work!

Frank
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 08:19 AM UTC
Hello Diablo,
I agree with Clanky. Another coat or two of the blue, toned down just a bit might bring everything into balance. Also, (just my opinion) you may want to rethink the gloss final coat. I'd go with a "flat" coat personally but that's just me. Looks like it's going to turn out really nice.

Quoted Text

Hermon, My Grandfather was a ground crewman with the Flying Tigers!!

Hey AJ, small world ain't it? Did he ever tell any stories about those day to you? I could never get enough of those old war stories.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 08:50 AM UTC
Just to let everyone know, so far I am highly impressed with the work "yous guys" are doing. So far everything looks great.
Time permitting I just may try to squeeze something in.
Don't know what yet, but it's sure to be a "Grumpy Unusual"
Diablo
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 09:56 PM UTC
Thanks Frank and Hermon,i will spray a few more times with the blue then.I was still thinking of using the glossy coat,but i will add the other parts on first and then the details will get painted and put the decals on enz. then show it here .and if you guys say it looks good the way it is then there will be no gloss coat

greetings jeroen.
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 04:14 AM UTC
P40 Kittyhawk Finished

Heres my contribution to the campaign.
Its the Airfix 1/72 P40 MK1 Kittyhawk. Its built OOB in the markings of 112 Sqn RAF.
Very enjoyable build for my 2nd model,and my first for a campaign.
Hope you like it.
I claim my ribbon

PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
Armorama: 165 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 05:47 AM UTC
Are you guys crazy!?!

The campaign has only been going for a couple of days, and already you're posting pics of your finished work!? - What are you going to do for the next 5 1/2 months!?? - I thought the whole idea of Armorama campaigns was to spend a couple of months pondering the potential build options, then ponder some more, and then beg for one or more extentions!!! That's the way it usually goes... :-)

Great builds, though!!!

Special kudos to Lampie for finishing his first campaign. You seem to be on a roll with that blue-tac sausage camo method! You've truly earned a nice ribbon (but you'll have to wait for many months!)
:-)

Quoted Text

Jean-Luc wrote:
Hermon, I hope there's not a Curse on the Campaign... first your PE fret, now my engine!

Guess what, Jean-Luc! I opened up the old Heller Saab J-21, and wouldn't you know! One of the three clear parts that make up the canopy was missing. Imagine that! Anyhow, I figured out an even cooler subject that I might build...

Cheers!
CPTKelley
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 08:57 AM UTC
Strong work Lampie!! I thought it was 1:48 until I actually read the whole post. Really well done!

Cheers,
JK
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 12:43 PM UTC
Hi all!

First I want to apologies for not answering to some of the posts here lately. The problem is that my DSL modem is not working since thursday evening. I managed to get online at work yesterday and build up a dial-up replacement connection wich I´m using right now... but it´s very sloooowww!
Congratulations for those who already finished their entries! But as Polarbear said, you will have to wait until June to get your ribbon guys! So there´s still a lot of time for a second entry... :-)
Björn, I thought the "Show your Teeth Curse" was a Urban Legend! Seems it´s real! You better check your boxes for missing parts guys!!!
I hope my DSL modem will work again soon! I really consider changing my provider as this happens quite often! Sorry again...

Jean-Luc
Diablo
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 04:39 PM UTC
Hi,little question??,how do you mask the canopy for painting.

greetings jeroen.
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 10:21 PM UTC
Hi all.
Thanks for your kind comments
Diablo,,on my last 2 models I masked the canopy a frame at a time and brushed painted it,but doing it this way the finished canopy doesnt get a coat of varnish and stands out slightly from the background colour.
Next time Im going to attach the canopy before I spray,mask the whole thing,either with liquid mask or tape,and then cut the panel lines out with a new blade.
This should blend it all in nicely.
Im sure there are plenty of other ways people.Try doing a site search on "masking canopies" and see what comes up.
Hope this helps
Nigel
fightnjoe
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 603 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:52 PM UTC
hello all.

this will be my entry. i am going to do kit decals and a lot of oob. not all but alot.

and away i go.

joe
Diablo
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:55 PM UTC
nice welcom onboard Joe,have fun with your build.

greetings jeroen,.
Diablo
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 03:21 AM UTC
OK,little update here for you flyboys from a armor builder :-)
at the moment i am working on the teeth,because there are no decals with the kit.so i will try to make them myself.it that fails i will try to handpaint them on.or do you know of a sheet of decals with teeth on them ,some AM sheets of some sort??
true this campaign i really start to like airplanes [O my god] :-)
dont tell the armor dudes #:-)

greetings jeroen.,
fightnjoe
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 05:50 AM UTC
ok a quick question you'd think i would know the answer to. do i post progress shots here or start a new thread? as many forums i am on and as many of these i have done elsewhere and i still need to ask.

joe
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 12:28 PM UTC
Hi Joe!

If you want to do a detailed report of your build with more than 3 or 4 pictures, then start a new thread called something like "Show your Teeth" + name of your plane.
If you only want to show a few pics (box + cockpit + assembled model + finished model) then you can use this thread.
In all cases, post a picture of the finished model here and in the official Gallery so I can award you the ribbon once you are finished.
Thanks for joining the Campaign!

Jeroen, your Hellcat looks great! I think some will complain about the blue wich is very... blue :-) but I think it looks great with the red of the markings. The mouth will also make a great contrast! I hope to see more planes from you...

Jean-Luc
fightnjoe
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 06:42 PM UTC
beautiful, with that as the case here is where i am as of last night.

added a bit of detail for the illusion. as i tend to do quite a few pics i will begin another thread.

thanks for the info.

joe
Diablo
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 10:52 PM UTC
Thanks Jean-Luc the blue is indeed very blue in the pics. it is less in normal daylicht,but i did it with the colors i had laying around,have to make a trip to my LHS for some airplane colours..i will build another aircraft for this campaign,a kittyhawk.and will not make the same mistakes as i did with this hellcat :-) but it is a great learning project so far #:-)

greetings jeroen.,
klimmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 250 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 05:14 AM UTC
This is the kit that I will be building for this campain. 1/48 P-40C in AGV markings. [img]http://photos.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/114802/cat/500/page/1

klimmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 250 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 08:43 AM UTC
I will try this again. I didn't get the picture to load the first time.
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 581 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 12:11 PM UTC
Jean -luc. I am unable to get onto the Kitmaker website to post any photos because the webserver here blocks it. Can you host the picture of the finished aircraft if I email it to you?

Please pm me with an email I can send it to.

thanks

AJ