_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Build - Log Review of DML SU-100 Premium kit
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 07:06 AM UTC
Well, here is something new for all of us...a B-Log. I wanted to try this out and see how posting on a regular basis, like several other members on this site do, would help keep me on track and building a kit.

In this case, I am building DML's Soviet SU-100 Tank Destroyer Premium kit #6359, generously donated by Head Honcho Jim and DML. Thanks! Also, to make thing even more fun, I will be building the older issued kit #6075 to help show some of the new details and options first hand. So it's a two-'fer.

Where to start? First off, look this over (yes, there will be a quiz): Kit Review on Perth Military Modelling Site. While I could reiterate all the things Terry has so eloquently done, I feel that it would be better if I gave new information instead.

Next, here are 6 pages of real-deal references to look over:

1. Prime Portal Set 1

2. Prime Portal Set 2

3. Tanx Heaven Set 1

4. Tanx Heaven Set 2

5. Tanx Heaven Set 3

6. Tanx Heaven Set 4

Now be carefull looking over the museum pieces. Some of them have post-war modifications. Just cross-reference and if in doubt, ask questions. Most of what Terry wrote should keep it all clear.

So, after you have done your homework, where to begin? First, here are the notes I came up with while looking over the kit and instructions:

1. Terry mentioned that the antenna mount on his kit was short-shot. Mine was not. It appears DML caught this and added 2 "nodes" to help stop the problem.

2. In step three there are two pieces of Photo-etch that are offered, but they are labelled incorrectly. They are MA1 and MA2. They SHOULD be MC1 and MC2. Make a note.

3. In step 14 you add PE parts 35 and 56 as the tie-downs. The problem is that the PE parts are flat while the real pieces were from metal rod (round). While most people will not care, the detail stickler will want to make a note of this... (look below to see what I mean)

Credit to Dmitry Kiyatkin at TanxHeaven.

Now just to be a total Armor Geek I compared this kit to the sprues of not only the earlier release (kit 6075) but also to the SU-85M (kit 6096) and T-34/76 (kit 6092). It shows how DML has slowly been adding more detail and refinements to the base kit all the time, with the Premium kit being the best version so far. Some details of note:

- I like the new Magic tracks system. The links pop together and are very LIGHTLY usable. They will need to be glued, but they are WAY better to use than the old-standard T-34 tracks of earlier issued kits.

- details on the fuel tank supports are vastly improved even without the PE parts.

- the correct mantlet, part 25, is now standard rather than a correction piece.

- weld detail has improved though it will take a coat of paint to see if it is realistic or not.

So that is the background and the prelim's for the B-Log. I will start adding photos with the next post. Off to start the builds.
Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 07:46 AM UTC
This should be great! I am looking to get mine in the mail. By the way, do you know if anyone makes (or at least thinking about it) a T90S turret? There seem to be reasonable plans on the net... Thanks, Dmitry Kiyatkin
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 08:58 AM UTC
Just to kep this thread "pure" see my response in the T-90 thread...and Dmitry, thanks for taking all those nice pictures.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:35 AM UTC
Just go ahead, I have the old SU 85 M to do, and are currently converting a 1:16 trumpeter to SU 85 M so im following with great interest!

Cheers
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:57 PM UTC
Hi Jacques,

can't wait to see more! So keep it up
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 04:03 PM UTC
Definitely one to follow

And also interesting to note that the Vienna SU-100, which looks wartime-built has interlocks on the side/rear of the fighting compartment, instead of overlapping sides.

David
Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 04:08 AM UTC
Any photos of this vehicles online? Thanks, Dmitry
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 12:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Any photos of this vehicles online? Thanks, Dmitry

Hi Dmitry

If you mean the Vienna SU-100 I mentioned, it's in the Tanxheaven Set 3 posted by Jacques further up the thread.

David
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2007 - 06:55 AM UTC
A good view of the rear hull of the Vienna SU100 would be nice to see. In the one picture that shows the rear hull it looks like the bolt on upper plate is almost as wide as the hull sides. I wonder just how rare this beast is. It is very unique.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2007 - 09:57 AM UTC
Day 1:

Built up through step 3. Notes:

- I left off the idler arms, part A6, until after I get the tracks on, just in case...

- for step 3 I have only gotten as far as puttin on parts G5 and G4, the hull plates. I also filled in the incorrectly placed access hatch with Squadron Green Putty. I plan to place the correct PE part on kit 6359 but to first use it as a template to scribe in the same hatch on the older 6075 kit. This is mainly just as a experiment and for practice.

- the lower hull in kit 6359 was warped, but it was not too bad, so I spent some time with just a hair dryer getting the worst of the mis-shape out. But I still had to rubber band the rear end to the tranny plate to keep them together while the glue dried, so it shows in the pictures.

Otherwise, not much difference in the two kits yet. Make sure that the front raodwheel arms are placed correctly, they should have the flat part above the arm on top. It is easy to mix up part A1 and A4 otherwise.

Off to start the harder stuff!
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 01:01 PM UTC
Nice Jacques!

Keep it going
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 03:53 PM UTC
Looks good so far.
Leaving off the idler arms is indeed a choice. I glued mine in the early stages of construction, and because of the two-part nature of the tracks, they were either a tiny bit too short, or somewhat too long. Not that they're overly long, but I would have preferred a little more snugly fitting tracks on my post-war Finnish tank. (which is now in progress for the third year now...)
nicocortese
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 - 05:24 AM UTC
Hi Jacques,

looking forward to more of your build logs of this kit!....
I'm sure you will do a terrific job!
Nick
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 - 10:43 AM UTC
Thanks guys,

Next phase:

First, I finished up what I wanted to do to the lower hull. I made a styrene copy of the brass inspection hatch as my ability to scribe it in was a serious no-show. It still looks good enough for me anyhow. This is what your lower hull will look like as well at this point...

It is a good, sturdy assembly with no remarkable issues other than the afforementioned warped lower hull.

Next, the upper hull. I spent a fair amount of time getting a good look at this setup and dry fitting. There were some issues:

- to get the upper hull to fit on the lower hull and attach to the front and aft, some minor sanding and trimming neds to be done. One part was near where the front fender goes on, there are a couple of plastic tabs that sit on the lower hull, kinda triangular in shape (Sorry, no picture right now). This needs to be sanded nearly flush to get the front to mate properly without too much pressure.

- the rear plate and lower hull mating area is probably going to need super-glue and pressure to keep it together. I am still working through this trying to find the binding area so that pressure is not needed. I will report on it when/if I find it.

- The rear piece of the casement is all new and missing the lower part of the rear hatch, as is correct for a non-early SU-100. Also it looks like it will have a nasty seam on the sides, but this is not a issue as once the new side plates are on, they correctly cover the seam with a slight lip. Once you build it, you will know what I mean.

- the new engine deck plate, as stated by Terry in the PMMS review, is incorrectly shaped and not really worth using. It is about 2mm too thick and to get it to work properly would mean destroying most of the hinge detail. I know that several photos in the reference section make it look like the new piece is also correct, with a slightly too tall engine deck hatch, but puttin it on the model and looking it over, it just does not look right. Better to just cut out the screen area on the other kit piece, more on this later when I do it.

I mostly like the PE details for the air intakes on the sides as they are VERY easy to emplace...bend the tabs on the PE part, put it in fron the INSDIE of the kit, and let it rest on the lip of the intake and against the interior tab of the upper hull. Easy.

However, I noticed one problem I am not sure how to deal with...

Being able to see that locator tab behind all that beautifull screening kinds ruins it for me, but my quick run through the reference material did not show me what relaly is in there, so I do not know if just blanking it off with thin styrene will be good enough. I will try to figure it out soon.

Other notes:

- This build has inspired me to try something new...a partial interior. I broke down and ordered the Maquette tranny and engine for a T-34, so i will have to see what that looks like and may add it to this build for a more involved finish. I will finish the kit up as a OOb build first, but I just willnot be painting it as fast!

- For kit 6075, I am going to build this kit sans fenders/running boards as though it has seen a LOT of campaigning. It will be a interesting challenge.

Ok, enough for now. I know it seems like there is not much here, but I did all this AND survived a 7 year old girls B-day, AND a trip to the Shrine Circus, AND visits from both my and my Wife's parents, AND the insanity of normal everyday life. Yeesh. Off to a two day conference and some PEACE!
vtrockin
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 - 05:49 PM UTC
Good stuff Jacques! The SU-100 kit is on my workdesk and is next in line once I start painting my current kit....and I drool everytime I think about it.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 - 08:50 PM UTC
I thought that there was another louvre behind the grille on the hull sides, since that radiators are just below there. This photo from the bits of Sniper however, shows something different.

at least that's what i believe the part in the foreground is.

David
Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 04:03 AM UTC
Hi Jacques, At least on T-34/85 that area seems to be well reproduced on a LionRoar set. Here are some pics of the details. Really once built, you should not see much under those grills.

HTH, Dmitry
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 08:19 AM UTC
Thanks for both sets of images. That made it easier to figure out what to do:

I just took a strip of .010 x .80 evergreen and glued it onto the out facing side of the tab, just above the PE piece. Looks good enough, an when painted will not be noticable.

No pictures tonight, got to get some sleep. I will post an update with pictures tomorrow.
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 10:49 PM UTC
Thank you kindly for uploading links to the resources, and the build log. They are a perfect complement to each other, and very useful.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 - 09:43 AM UTC
Next:

I have mainly been concentrating on kit 6075 as a test run for working on kit 6359, so do not be disappointed that not as much is done.

Having taken a good look at all options, I will be doing the following with each kit:

6075: I will be removing all fenders and giving it a lean beat up look as per a photo I have in Concords book on the T-34 series. If I run across it on the net, I will post it here. Needless to say, it will give you all the opportunity to see what work it will take to do this.

6359: Assuming I get the Maquette engine/tranny kit in a resonable timeframe, I will be keeping the engine area opened up for access. With all the PE in this area, I think it will look great.

Diorama: I am thinking of having some grizzled war vets in their abused "ride" either stopping to help or passing by a fresh tank with new recruits who have either blown the engine or are having some other technical problems...and naming it something like "Fresh Reinforcements" or some such...

That should help explain why I am building in the fashion I am rather than doing a strict side-by-side, piece-by-piece comparison.

Getting on with it, here are the general shots comparing both kits at this point:

I have removed the rear fenders on kit 6359 to put on the PE set supplied. Also, notice on kit 6075 that the radio mount is fully intact (it is just in front of the rounded commander's bulge, just below the rooftop). I am not sure why Terry at PMMS had problems with his, but both of my kits were fine.

Next two pictures are of 6359 with the .010 x .80 styrene in place:

WIth and without the screen. It looks a LOT better, IMNSHO.

These last two are fit / finish issues:

Both kits need to have two areas sanded down so that the front of the upper hull will mate properly with the lower hull (I hate improper matings... ) So, as noted before in this thread, now there is a picture.

And there are pin marks on the outside of the rear hatch (Green circles) located on the casement backwall. No problem, just a little Squadron green putty, but an annoyance.

And away we go...
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 11:41 PM UTC
Hi Jacques!

Keep it up, you're doing a great job

Jurjen
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 08:32 AM UTC
Ok, a quick update. Here is kit 6075 as far along as i am going to take it before I start hacking away at it.

Next post will be in a few days, but it will be on both the mods to kit 6075 and progress on kit 6359.

Stay tuned!
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 09:19 AM UTC
No pictures tonight. I had to go help my bro-in-law with some plumbing, so I am tired and sore!

I have glued the top and bottom of kit 6075 and puttied the seams, pictures tomorrow.

I recieved the Maquette engine/tranny and will post pictures and do a short review for all to see. however, I needed to find reference information and here it is for you all to see:

Tanxheaven T-34 Engine

Czech T-34/85 with excellent engine compartment shots.

Tanxheaven Trumpeter 1/16 scale engine built up

Tanxheaven Trumpeter 1/16 scale engine and tranny and hull emplacment build up

(Can you tell I am finding tanxheaven to be a REALLY good source of info lately? Thank you to them!)

Using all that info, I am looking over how to emplace the Maquette kit and what details will need to be added (if any) for what can be seen. It should not be too much and the Maquette kit looks to offer enough detail to not need a lot more and still be a believable replica.

More tomorrow.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 03:09 PM UTC
On the subject "T34" you can find a lot in these 2 treads:

Tread 1: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/31779&page=1

Tread 2: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/38371&page=1

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:04 AM UTC
Nice links, thanks.

Here is a direct link to some SU-100 pics including the engine compartment.

Pictures of my work today up later...off to the bench again.
 _GOTOTOP