Hosted by Darren Baker
Sunday Service Canceled!
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 04:44 PM UTC
Way ta go Dave , looks great , very cool damage work .
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 05:29 PM UTC
Beautiful beautiful work.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 07:39 PM UTC
Cheyenne and Dustin, thanks for following along. I am planning on finishing the planking later this morning... As I am up now again...5 year old kidlet loves her daddy

I discovered just before going to hockey las night that I had used up all my planking material, so I need some more. A trip to the LHS, or Michaels, will be on the list for my weekly galavanting around!

Speaking of the LHS, here is a shot of the lights I've been waiting for...
I didn't realize the were almost 5 bucks each I may have been more prone to attempt to scratch the shrouds. Next time.

Wow. 7:30 is early sometimes...
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 09:32 PM UTC
That is coming together really fast now. I wish I had that work ethic!
J
Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 10:28 PM UTC

This is excellent stuff. I love seeing structural work in model buildings (and real ones).

looking forward to further updates.

Cheers,

Sean
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 12:33 AM UTC
Merci beau coup Sean! Jerry, my work ethic is bolstered by copious amounts of coffee, and is not guaranteed to last past the first hiccup in the building process...

I am on a bit of a roll though, and will hammer away at this for as long as my will allows....going to the LHS now, need more planking.....
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 12:47 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

Man, you really are on a roll!

Almost a shame to see that fine framework covered up. However, there is that rear view into the structure's interior ... and you've kindly shared the entire building process with us here.

Great stuff! ... thanks!

—mike
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 05:09 AM UTC
[quote]Hi Dave,

Man, you really are on a roll!

Almost a shame to see that fine framework covered up. However, there is that rear view into the structure's interior ... and you've kindly shared the entire building process with us here.

Great stuff! ... thanks!

Thanks Mike...it is almost a shame...and I thought about it quite a lot about whether I could fudge the details somewhat because so little will be truly visible when all s said and done. But in the end, you and I both know that that isn't the way we build.

It's like Steve and his insane Tiger build, or Claude, or Nick, or you and Jerry...etc. We have to do it even, and especially if, the only people to see the work is ourselves. We're mentally irregular that way

I'm am glad to show it off in the cyberspace realm, and to give an explanation of the how's and whys, that's the fun part in the end, if it inspires or helps someone else do even more incredible stuff than me.

As to the visual aspect, I am already working on the logistics of lighting the steeple section too... Stay tuned
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 05:57 AM UTC

No, I didn't drop it, or drop something on it, I just got close enough to where it was that I could tell this truss member was way off square. The angles we're way off. It was set back close to a half inch....and was much more obvious the closer the planking came up to it.....so I cut it away and redid it.

I will let it firm up over the dinner hour, and cut it off then.

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 08:19 PM UTC
Nice job but.....that last sentence kind of made me wince for some reason. heheheh
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 08:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice job but.....that last sentence kind of made me wince for some reason. heheheh
J

Oh my...
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 11:22 PM UTC
Here's where I'm at now... After this post I will be going back in the thread to the section where I did the last version of the copper roof panels, to figure out how to do it again!

And you may have noticed it in another picture, but here is a closeup of the first of 2 amber LED lights I am installing up in this section.

Another view...

And now the planking is completed...

I have also finished with the aging of the boards too, but haven't taken any pictures yet.

More to come,

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 11:37 PM UTC
Nice!!!
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 06:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice!!!

Thanks again Jerry....how's about these apples...

Looks like I'm gonna have to source some more of this copper sheet too...this stuff was a freebie from Model Barons, the LHS in Lethbridge. I'm not even sure he's still in business? I will have to call him tomorrow and find out...

If anyone recognizes it, or knows where I can get some, please let me know. Pretty sure I will be one small side short...
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 07:07 AM UTC
That looks awesome!!!
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 07:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That looks awesome!!!

Thanks Mike. Here's one shot of the small amber LED, the second one in the peak, that sheds a little light in the dark, dusty, cramped truss work.

Already figured out how I'm going to hide the 9volt that will run them, and think I will be able to hide it, and the one that should power the other lights in the tower and ceiling in the same spot...

But that will have to wait for another day, cause I've apparently caught a touch of the flu, my nose has been running unendingly for about 12 hours straight today so I am done for the night.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 02:38 AM UTC
Lookin good Dave , rest up till your melon tells ya to get back to buildin , no sense building anything unless you're jonesin to jump back in .
Building for a deadline or a customer ends in disaster unless you feel the force .
Buildin for me is relaxing , I only build for me , so if I don't feel the calling I lay off till I start itchin to get back to it .

Choose wisely wise chosen one ....................
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 03:06 AM UTC
That is my plan Cheyenne, just resting on the couch right now, watching the final round of the Hyundai tournament of champions from last month. Been n bed for a day and a half straight till now. Feeling quite a lot better, but not up to do anything, especially modelling.

Thanks for the advise. Model on.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 05:23 AM UTC
Well,I pray you are back to 100% very soon ol buddy! That ccpper looks good.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

J

Thanks Jerry. Prayer is never a bad thing, when it's for another's well being. I will covet them every time. I'm still pretty sure that I'm going to run out of copper, so I'm going to be searching for more of the same, just haven't been awake and cognizant enough to do a web search yet. Maybe tonight. Probably tomorrow.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 06:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

J

Thanks Jerry. Prayer is never a bad thing, when it's for another's well being. I will covet them every time. I'm still pretty sure that I'm going to run out of copper, so I'm going to be searching for more of the same, just haven't been awake and cognizant enough to do a web search yet. Maybe tonight. Probably tomorrow.

Well, that took about 2 minutes...this is when I like the interweb

Now I just have to contact them to see if there is a local source. Btw they are fairly well known, now that I see the website. I can probably order more form the LHS I purchased the shrouded lights....except I'm sure that I'll pay a well overpriced amount, if the cost of the lights are an indication.

Who knows? I can't really finish without it, so...

Later. Too tired to fret about it.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 06:36 AM UTC
K & S Precision Metals, out of Chicago....many of you airplane and or RC guys will for sure have seen their products....and scratchers too. Lots of tubing so, and structural pieces.

FYI
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 07:06 AM UTC
OK. So a couple things.... I went to the LHS on the way home from work today. I knew from memory they stocked K&S metals, so I checked for some corrugated copper. All I found was some identical sheet, but in Aluminum. And only $5.50 for a packet of 2 sheets. At the same time I inquired about the copper sheet, and ordered a couple packs. They said it would be 2 weeks delivery. Cost would be around the same as the aluminum sheets, so pretty cheap.

Then when I got home, I was rummaging around some of the boxes I haven't had room to unpack yet....going on 3 years now!

And what do I find? 3 more full sheets of copper!!!!!

Awesome! So now I have more than enough copper to complete the roof.

Here's a shot of where I'm at right now...

I'll explain about the plastic covering the front panel of the roof after putting the kidlet to bed... Mommy's got a dinner date with some ladies from work.

This will have to hold you all for now
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 09:31 AM UTC
So glad that this is not the roofline I am trying to imitate!!!
[
Now, about the plastic you see in my last post. I've been planning for some time to make the copper portion removable, for the simple reason that it would make things easier if I ever had to fix the lights I have put up inside the trusses.

In order to accomplish this, I figured the best way to do it would be to build the upper copper section on top of a plastic framework that would simply lift off the wooden superstructure.

I cut a small piece of rectangular tubing, cutting it apart so as to have an edge of plastic to hang over the top of the wood planking.

From there I glued it to a thicker piece of card stock, which I hung on the edge and then traced the sides to get the lines to cut the piece out. Then I notched the edge of both sides of the piece, so I can get a nice firm glue joint to hold everything together.

I then cut a second piece of thick stock for the one side, notched it, glued it, sanded it smooth, and covered the edge with an angled piece, glued nice and tight to add some strength to the corner.

Now I only have to complete this side, and notch another thick piece for the other 2 sides, trimming the pieces where the damaged framework is, and build up the corners to make the whole thing look finished. And then to sheet it all of course...

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 07:35 PM UTC
Good to know you found your secret stash! It's like that $5 bill I found the other day by accident in some old papers.
I like how you are thinking like maint. guy and remembering to provide access to the light source for the inevitable repairs. That is a good point and something I need to remember when I finish my shadowbox.
BTW,one of the reasons the FW190 series of aircraft was so successful was the fact that Kurt Tank designed it with field maint. in mind! So,you are among brilliant minds bubba!
J