Hosted by Darren Baker
Sunday Service Canceled!
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 08:22 PM UTC
I love the 190, Jerry! Old faithful, sturdy, deadly, took a lickin and kept on kickin... Would not have wanted to be the guys on the other side of the business end of that beast.

Another reason for building it this way is to keep collateral damage down to a minimum. I've been quite nervous the whole time on this section, as I've snapped and bent several pieces of truss work and beams along the way.

It's relatively easy to do when the piece is not complete as to structural stability issues. Especially when all the damage areas are on the corners, where you would normally would be firmly holding it. But , so far, none of my self inflicted slip ups have been greater than my ability to fix them.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 03:17 AM UTC
Another quick post of the progress...

Nearly all the sides wrapped in plastic.

Stop have a little work to do before I paint it dark wood-like. Can't be too obvious when sitting in place.
My tolerances were a little too small, and I had a hard time prying if off. So I sanded round over edges onto the wood planks. It made a big difference.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 11:41 AM UTC
okay, so with the flu and all thats associated with it, I didn't get much done on the dio this week....

but I did get some. Again, it's late out here but I will post the photos now, and more of an explanation maybe later

The thought of making a removable shell for the copper section proved to be a largely fruitless waste of time, most of the plastic i will probably salvage...

here is what I ended up doing instead. I have made just the front section removable.

and I made it out of much thinner stock. That was the main problem I think with the other shell, it was too thick and heavy, which made it too bulky?

Then I was able to build up the copper panels on the plastic substructure. this whole piece will sit behind the lower timber, (plastic stock) located just above the flatter section of roofing. This will be painted as copper, and weathered accordingly to match everything else of course.

The top of this plastic piece sits overtop of the top plank on the section of the roof, and this will hold the front panel of copper in place.

This way, only the front section needs to be removed if the lights ever stop working in the upper section.

speaking of lights, you will notice that i have put a street lamp out front on the sidewalk, to balance the composition a bit, and because it looks like there should be one there. I had to replace the solid section of the post with tubing, so I could fish the wires and the light through to the underside of the base.

let me just say that I'm not too impressed with the lights, they burn out pretty quickly, for no apparent reason.

but thats a story for tomorrow....

hope you enjoy....

cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 02:46 PM UTC
Nice work Dave , the roof is turning out very cool .
I wouldn't worry on the lights , in daylight ya can't see them when on .
They do add a nice touch for night photos though .
Have you figured out why they burn out so quickly ?
To much voltage ? The led package should give you voltage and amp requirements ? No ?

Anyway stellar work Dave .
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 07:10 PM UTC
It'sall good! Now that the fog of the flu is gone,you will find nice solutions to whatever challenges are presenting themselves. Nice progress.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 07:12 PM UTC
Cheyenne, thanks. It's frustrating mostly because I end up wasting so much time on something that should work and then doesn't. I'm using 1.5 volt incandescent grain of rice bulbs and AAA batteries...so they should work no problems. Oh well, today is a new day, so maybe I will figure it out. Thanks again for dropping in.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 07:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It'sall good! Now that the fog of the flu is gone,you will find nice solutions to whatever challenges are presenting themselves. Nice progress.
J

Thanks Jer. Fortunately the " fog of flu" has not been too dibilitating. These lights are driving me nuts though.... There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for why they burn out? Oh well, work beckons... Must go make the bacon. Later.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2016 - 06:01 AM UTC
Family Day Weekend is coming to a close....going to be reading bedtime stories soon, so.... An update!

And a few closeup shots of the damaged panels. I have zero clues as to how it should look, but this is what I have...

Some of the panels have had some initial color washes applied to age them a bit...

Soon I will be using the transparent green, and orange, and yellow to further age, and fade the copper to its final look, which hopefully will match the other roof section. That's the hope anyway...

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2016 - 07:34 AM UTC
Some teaser shots...

Still more layers to finish it off, and a flat coat too...

Enjoy everybody.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2016 - 02:56 PM UTC
Nice work Dave lookin good !!!
This is coming along beautifully .
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2016 - 07:14 PM UTC
Great update! The steeple is looking the biz. This build has reached "monumental" status now I think?
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2016 - 07:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work Dave lookin good !!!
This is coming along beautifully .

Thanks Cheyenne, just trying to keep it going, trying not to loose the mojo, as Jerry would say. Your pool project is coming along swimmingly I see as well.... I'm glad your framework came about the way it did.

We shall keep each other motivated, or at least on focus!

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2016 - 07:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great update! The steeple is looking the biz. This build has reached "monumental" status now I think?
J

Thanks Jerry. Not sure about monumental, but it is as tall as it will get....

Tops out at about 70 feet, scale wise. Plus the four or so foot rise from the sidewalk out front, it's definitely big

Nearing the point where I'll have to get back to some figures soon, not particularly looking forward to that....but your guys Inspire me to attempt them anyway.

Later dude
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 10:56 AM UTC
Dave,

I know I've asked you this once before, perhaps.

But where is a good place to purchase the wood, like what you're using. I need to represent 2x4 and 4x4 in 1/35th.

Thanks for any help,
Dustin
PolishBrigade12
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 366 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 09:29 PM UTC
This is just fun to watch, period!

Cheers, Ski.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 10:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave,

I know I've asked you this once before, perhaps.

But where is a good place to purchase the wood, like what you're using. I need to represent 2x4 and 4x4 in 1/35th.

Thanks for any help,
Dustin

Dustin I have purchased all my wood at the LHS,both here in Edmonton and in Lethbridge when we lived therein 2010 and 11. Most good hobby shops carry balsa and Basswood....both of which I have used on this build. I've seen wood at Michaels too.

I have also used Evergreen plastic stock to represent wood in many parts of the build as well. The beam I am building to support the corner of the tower in the church inTeri or....a couple pages back,is from evergreen stock. And almost all the trim,baseboards,crown and dentin moldings and all the window and door trim too.

Hope this helps,and anywhere Model Railroad stuff is sold.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 10:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is just fun to watch, period!

Cheers, Ski.

Ski,thanks bud....it's mostly fun to build as well. Anyway,I'm busy with an early spring trying to get ready to open the golf course up....and working at getting and sustaining a healthy family at home,no snow means more air quality issues and virus movements.....everyone sick then sick again etc.

I hope to get some more work done again soon. And what little time I have had,I've been using to repaint the colors of my goalie gear and especially the Mask....I may post a pic or two...I think I did an okay job.

pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 11:16 PM UTC
Hey my son is a goalie and reps a company for goalie gear. He uses this leather like material to cut shapes for his pads and gloves... will post a photo tonight or send you a message... your preference...
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 04:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey my son is a goalie and reps a company for goalie gear. He uses this leather like material to cut shapes for his pads and gloves... will post a photo tonight or send you a message... your preference...

Hey Patrick...either or is cool. Six of one and half a dozen of the other....

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 06:34 PM UTC
Golf season already? Where does the time go?
When does the snow melt way up there? Mid August or so?
J
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 06:51 PM UTC
Dave,

Spectacular diorama! Not to be trite but I think everything about it is top notch. I love the oxidized patina on the copper. I love copper roofs.

How copper panels would look after an explosion? I dunno either but I looked at some wind damaged barns this morning, at their sheet tin roof panels. They seem to bend away from the source of pressure, although I'll bet that and explosion would rip them up, too. It bends and tears steel plate, after all. That said, I think your damage to the roofing sheets looks excellent and I don't think I would change it.
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 07:42 PM UTC
very cool; as a clergy person (for 26 years) and modeler (for 39 years) this grabbed my attention; great job on this project!
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 08:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Golf season already? Where does the time go?
When does the snow melt way up there? Mid August or so?
J

Jerry, this was taken 15 minutes ago, on my 15th hole. We are getting a small skiff of snow today, and the temp is only supposed to reach about zero Celcius today. Saturday and Sunday temps will be closer to 10*C. This s the coldest daytime high we've had since mid Feb. Crazy, crazy, crazy weather this winter.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 05:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave,

Spectacular diorama! Not to be trite but I think everything about it is top notch. I love the oxidized patina on the copper. I love copper roofs.

How copper panels would look after an explosion? I dunno either but I looked at some wind damaged barns this morning, at their sheet tin roof panels. They seem to bend away from the source of pressure, although I'll bet that and explosion would rip them up, too. It bends and tears steel plate, after all. That said, I think your damage to the roofing sheets looks excellent and I don't think I would change it.

JPTRR, thanks. I love, not like, love copper roofs too!

I think I'm going to have some panels and such bending inward, but mostly I think a slight bend towards the sky will be the norm....as you note, any explosion inside would result in an upward blast pattern. I'm really not going for perfection and complete physics accuracy here, just an impression of what it might look like....just practising techniques on this monumental, eternally transforming, long term, project!

I am really hoping to finish it for good before the summer comes, got things I want to do next! Thanks for weighing in, and for the encouragement...it always gives me some motivation to continue. Did 7 minutes of work this evening before supper!

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

very cool; as a clergy person (for 26 years) and modeler (for 39 years) this grabbed my attention; great job on this project!

Thanks Brian! Bless you! I held credentials with the PAOC up here for several years...we pastored youth in a couple communities several years ago. I think about getting back into ministry on occasion, but would probably lean toward worship leading if I did.