Hosted by Darren Baker
Sunday Service Canceled!
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 07:20 PM UTC
This is really a terrific dio... Love the comination of the church with the heavy metal... The piano(?) playing figure gives it another (emotional) dimension...

Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 10:41 PM UTC
Thanks for you “moving” wishes Dave, like root-canal therapy Removal day is only good when it’s over. But this is when I’m glad I already threw out (or recycled parts of) past dioramas. Space, or lack thereof, is the driver but I’m pretty ruthless anyway (if it has no future it’s history as long as I’ve got photos) although I do have a sentimental streak – kept a faulty alarm clock that actually saved my life back in 1990. But that’s not important right now, I’m really looking forward to seeing those lights blazing in some dusk photos
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 01:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave,

All I can say is WOW!!! That is TOP SHELF! I hope that is going into a museum.

Thanks Marc. No plans for a museum at present time. would be a cool thing to happen though. It's not based on any actual place or event though, so I doubt if there'd be an interest in placing it somewhere. I had an old glass walled cabinet a few years ago that it rested in while I was building. I'll most likely try to find something similar when it is done, and display it in my living room or office.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 01:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is really a terrific dio... Love the comination of the church with the heavy metal... The piano(?) playing figure gives it another (emotional) dimension...

I also have a figure who is playing a violin, and another playing a mouth organ... but I haven't located them in the boxes of kits and parts of kits from my move last summer to my apartment. Someday soon though; as I have finally purchased enough shelving units off FB marketplace and Kijiji to be able to unpack. Once that's done I will ba able to paint them up and add them in. It should make for quite the ensemble!

X8-)
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 01:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for you “moving” wishes Dave, like root-canal therapy Removal day is only good when it’s over. But this is when I’m glad I already threw out (or recycled parts of) past dioramas. Space, or lack thereof, is the driver but I’m pretty ruthless anyway (if it has no future it’s history as long as I’ve got photos) although I do have a sentimental streak – kept a faulty alarm clock that actually saved my life back in 1990. But that’s not important right now, I’m really looking forward to seeing those lights blazing in some dusk photos

I'll freely admit that I hate moving too. So much so that some of the boxes I packed over here to my new place from the house after the divorce were ones I hadn't unpacked from moving back to that place from another city way back in 2012!!!

It is nearly impossible to continue to build though if you're always rummaging through boxes to find things, so I am in the process of unpacking and organizing it all... while getting some construction done too.

The plan is for a 4 or 5 light chandelier to hang down in the foyer. That should be enough to illuminate that area. I have been scouring the interwebs for possible designs, trying to find something that is both easy to manufacture, suits the setting and is in scale with the rest of the build.Not too much to ask of the Interwebs, is it?

Been wanting to take some pictures outside on my balcony, but the winds have been ferocious of late. I freely admit that I'm not the best at indoor pic taking, I'm never really satisfied with the lighting...go figure!

Anyhoo... Thanks for stopping by Tim, take care, stay safe and keep modelling.
Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 09:10 PM UTC
Those other figures might be a nice addition, but a lone piano player has more of a solemn impact in my opinion...
SF-07-18D
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 366 posts
Armorama: 300 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 09:51 PM UTC
This is an amazing work. I agree with marc, this should be in a museum.

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2020 - 01:27 AM UTC
I feel your pain man.
I told my ex-wife the last time we moved together that we had now packed and moved stuff 3 times that we never ever used! I told her that's IT ! I am not packing that stuff one more time. When we divorced she took what she wanted,I packed what I wanted and the rest I piled in the driveway and hired a guy to haul it to the dump. I now follow a 3 year rule. If I haven't needed it for 3 years,OUT the door it goes.
J
SF-07-18D
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 366 posts
Armorama: 300 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2020 - 01:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I feel your pain man.
I told my ex-wife the last time we moved together that we had now packed and moved stuff 3 times that we never ever used! I told her that's IT ! I am not packing that stuff one more time. When we divorced she took what she wanted,I packed what I wanted and the rest I piled in the driveway and hired a guy to haul it to the dump. I now follow a 3 year rule. If I haven't needed it for 3 years,OUT the door it goes.
J

I follow the 2 years rule. If I haven't used it in 2 years, I will never use it again
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2020 - 02:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I feel your pain man.
J

I would say that is a healthy rule to adopt, except 98 percent of my kits would fall into that demographic.

I actually have been selling off several kits, which although opened, were still completely sealed in their cellophane packaging. Will probably list a bunch more too. kept a couple partial builds, and 2 still in box completes for a later date. but I've got at least 75 to 100 figure kits that are all boxed up taking up closet space and mental room. Lots of sleepless night pondering whether I'll ever build any of them...

Time to thin the herd probably, spend the money on a new goal glove and blocker maybe to go with the new pads I got from selling the other model kits.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2020 - 02:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I feel your pain man.
J

I follow the 2 years rule. If I haven't used it in 2 years, I will never use it again

But then I'd have to throw out the relish and Lemon Butter in my refrigerator.

cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 09:18 PM UTC
Love the light work Dave , always a cool addition to a build .

Men wont admit it but the real reason we marry is so we can park at the handicap space at the mall .........
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 02:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Love the light work Dave , always a cool addition to a build .

Men wont admit it but the real reason we marry is so we can park at the handicap space at the mall .........

Hey Cheyenne, nice hearing from you. Spent a good amount of time this morning admiring your France 44 dio. Looks great! Lighting and remodelling is the priority for me right now when I have a few minutes, but I'm also planning on the figures I still need to prepare to tie this whole escapade together.

Hoping to really wrap it all up in a somewhat short order...

Gonna have some time tomorrow.

have a great weekend buddy
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2020 - 01:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I feel your pain man.
J

I would say that is a healthy rule to adopt, except 98 percent of my kits would fall into that demographic.

I actually have been selling off several kits, which although opened, were still completely sealed in their cellophane packaging. Will probably list a bunch more too. kept a couple partial builds, and 2 still in box completes for a later date. but I've got at least 75 to 100 figure kits that are all boxed up taking up closet space and mental room. Lots of sleepless night pondering whether I'll ever build any of them...

Time to thin the herd probably, spend the money on a new goal glove and blocker maybe to go with the new pads I got from selling the other model kits.

I solved the space problem from excessive figure kits by combining several(up to 3 ) kits in the same box. I cut the end artwork off and tape it to the end of the box so I know what is in there. So I reduced the shelf space by over half. Some of the older kits with soft detail I threw away the weapons and gear sprues and combined the figure bits into one large tupperware. Nice and streamlined !
HTH
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2020 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I feel your pain man.
J

I solved the space problem from excessive figure kits by combining several(up to 3 ) kits in the same box. I cut the end artwork off and tape it to the end of the box so I know what is in there. So I reduced the shelf space by over half. Some of the older kits with soft detail I threw away the weapons and gear sprues and combined the figure bits into one large tupperware. Nice and streamlined !
HTH
J

That’s indeed a helpful tip Jerry, I may have to give it a try. I will probably sell the majority of the unopened kits, or attempt to anyway. Can use the xtra 💵 at the present time. We’ll see... not sure.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2020 - 04:23 PM UTC
Dust

One of a few banes of a modellers existence right?

I spent well over an hour tonight while a coating of watered down white glue was drying on some cork work I did, carefully trying to get the layer of dust off all the different surfaces of the diorama...

A very soft bristled brush was tried.

A spray bottle of water and the soft bristled brush was tried.

my airbrush without the needle was tried.

Dust!

After some degree of success, and some degree of AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH, I sprayed a very weak layer of sepia tone over some of the front areas of the street and sidewalk section. Then I sprayed a clear base coat over the whole cobblestone and wall sections, including the streetlamp. I hope it will do the trick. the tape job is so that I can begin to apply the proper colours to all the rubble around the church.. then another coat of clear

The last shot has the clear base I sprayed still wet in a couple spots. I've always toyed with the idea of this scene taking place in the rain, and have thought of just how I would do it without just spraying a gloss varnish layer over everything.

All for now boys and girls.

Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2020 - 08:27 PM UTC
Nice! Just do not forget to take off the sheen of the pavement (visible on the last pic)
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 01:30 AM UTC
Nice reminder of clearly how impressive this whole thing is! Epic...is a good word here.
One of my tests for any miniature is the first glance. Since I have not seen this dio for a long time it is almost like a first glance for me here. The first glance always shows me things that "don't fool the eye" in a scale model. This whole thing accomplishes that right off.
Having said all that,there is a tiny,easily fixed detail that didn't fool my eye. Your tall poplar trees look great but they are too uniform at the top. The one clump almost looks like a scissors was used on it. Too even and not the "randomness" that exists in nature. As a groundskeeper I think you know what I mean ? A very few happy snips would show a more ragged,natural growth appearance ?
Anyway,this is very nice to see again buddy!
J
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 03:04 AM UTC
Great to see the exterior again, looks fantastic although agree about the trees, & maybe some Panther track-gouges/cracked pavers on the pavement…or did it reverse into the yard? As for rain, would various dilutions of white glue work any better? Somewhere I’ve seen a pic of a (I think) a Panther commander in his cupola holding a (deployed) umbrella – just a thought.

Congrats again on passing 300K, I think trailing 600 or so behind you classes as a short(ish) head! Bravo champ
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 03:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice reminder of clearly how impressive this whole thing is! Epic...is a good word here.
One of my tests for any miniature is the first glance. Since I have not seen this dio for a long time it is almost like a first glance for me here. The first glance always shows me things that "don't fool the eye" in a scale model. This whole thing accomplishes that right off.
Having said all that,there is a tiny,easily fixed detail that didn't fool my eye. Your tall poplar trees look great but they are too uniform at the top. The one clump almost looks like a scissors was used on it. Too even and not the "randomness" that exists in nature. As a groundskeeper I think you know what I mean ? A very few happy snips would show a more ragged,natural growth appearance ?
Anyway,this is very nice to see again buddy!
J

Quoted Text

Great to see the exterior again, looks fantastic although agree about the trees

Thanks very much for the "Epic" shoutout Jerry. Much appreciated. Nice to see I am on the right track with this.

I have a funny story to share with both you, and Tim pertaining to your mutual comments about my trees

I was rather busy today, still just 3 of us getting ready for opening day Friday. 4 and a half hours mowing tee boxes, and another, lets say close to 3 hours mowing greens chewed up nearly my entire 8 hour shift.

So for the second day straight I didn't take a lunch break, just a few minutes to grab a gatorade and the last handful of mini wheats I had brought in the car for breakfast driving to work today. 2 coffees and a gatorade between the 6 am wakeup, and the supper I just finished prior to this post. but that's another story..

At about 1:30 or so, while driving my Toro greens mower between the 12th and 13th greens, I took a couple minutes to relax and enjoy the views...

It has been quite windy, and not cold but cool for sure the past couple days and I was booting around the course with a big smile on my face because...

I had gone online for a quick diversion from the chill and noise of work to check out the forums, and read your post quoted above. It had me truly laughing out loud for quite some time at the apparent, and totally unbeknownst to you, irony of your words...

Allow me if I may to "throw some shade" your way. That is, I believe, a millennial way to poke some fun at you for something you've done or said.

Who knew, right?:-)--<

There I was, reading your great comments, and suggestions, and especially the part where you said as a greenskeeper I would understand...

And everywhere I looked, me, the greenskeeper, I saw the images you now look at in this update!

So I hope you can see how I a greenskeeper, could make such a grievous lapse of judgement in relation to my courtyard tree stands

As I hope you can see, that while Mother Nature is usually quite random, much like many Normandy area stone walls... on a golf course it its often much more constant and linear. Notice in all these photos that most of the trees, from the ones clearly staked, and planted by us, to the groupings of old growth areas and bordering woods there is a greater consistency in heights. Most species of trees have very specific and calculable growth patterns, and what can appear to be random is often way more regular or designed. We rarely see totally random on a golf course, and Mother Nature sets limits on size and shape all the time as well. large stands of Poplars almost always grow to about the exact same height as their surrounding trees, spruce trees are also quite consistent in growth structures.

So maybe I was looking at my courtyard from the skilled eyes of a greenskeeper after all.

In all seriousness though Jerry, I know of the particular trees you're referring to and I have a simple explanation which made sense to me at the time. I thought of how the tops have the appearance of being cut off at the same height and thought that the church groundskeeper had probably hired an Arborist to lop them off for either safety reasons, or to keep them from blocking out the view of the marvellous Copper roofline from passersby on the street and sidewalk.

I hope that all make sense, but believe me when I say I will give it some thought down the road before I'm done. Wow! That was a big diatribe, hey?

As always, keep it in the short grass, and BTW, all the striping you see in these pix... Those are my handiwork!

Dioramartin
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 03:28 PM UTC
OK I’m backing out of any further arborial comments – but Holy Fairways I love your office, and great to make your (facial) acquaintance, bravo again for er coming out of er no not that, er emerging from the shadows
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 03:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great to see the exterior again, looks fantastic although agree about the trees, & maybe some Panther track-gouges/cracked pavers on the pavement…or did it reverse into the yard? As for rain, would various dilutions of white glue work any better? Somewhere I’ve seen a pic of a (I think) a Panther commander in his cupola holding a (deployed) umbrella – just a thought.

Congrats again on passing 300K, I think trailing 600 or so behind you classes as a short(ish) head! Bravo champ

Thanks again Tim for your congratulatory remarks on the 330k milestone. I'm humbled and grateful for the obvious volume of views, but lets not kid a kidder... if you had a post that was 12 years in the making and counting you'd hit 300k too! Kudos for doing it so much more quickly than I did!

As I have already chirped you and our esteemed colleague Jerry about the woods in question, in good fun might I add.. let me address the other suggestions now.

Firstly help me out if you have some insight, but Im not sure what, if any damage to a cobblestone road or sidewalk would be done by a 35 or 40 ton tank? I'm not sure that I've seen photos from the period of where roads were chewed up much by tanks turning on them. they probably did, but I'm not sure.

That said, I will probably address it at some point regardless, since I both trust and value the opinions you and Jerry offer.

Secondly, the rain effect. Yes, I remember the diorama you mention. I think the commander was a resin kit by either Verlinden or the other guy... I'm pretty sure I've seen him commanding a couple armoured vehicles.

I don't think the white glue idea will work, I think it ends up just looking too level and glossy. But what I have pondered from time to time is maybe flicking or stippling small droplets of both satin and high gloss varnish on various surfaces to give an indication of rain drops beginning to come down. Or maybe an area like in my one photo in the last update where I mentioned that the clear base I applied was still wet. so patches of the different varnishes to indicate rain had fallen, but was drying up...

All good ideas, but for another day for sure. Now is the time to sleep the sleep of the tired and sore middle aged out of shape and weary kind of guy.

See you on the flip side.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 03:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK I’m backing out of any further arborial comments – but Holy Fairways I love your office, and great to make your (facial) acquaintance, bravo again for er coming out of er no not that, er emerging from the shadows

Don't sweat it too much Tim! After all, you just agreed with Jerry... he was the one who actually made the comments!!!

And just to be clear, I'm only kidding around. It was a very serendipitous moment this afternoon though, I am still chuckling about it lol.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 - 01:21 PM UTC

Look what I did...

A little pruning!!

Just a couple branches from one or two trees, wanted to test the waters as it were...

Might eventually do some more later, I don't know.

And BTW, Tim I actually had, as can be seen in this pic, done some very minor damage to the edge of the sidewalk way back in the day once upon a time... funny thing is I have never really noticed much because I've spent so much time working on the backside of the diorama.

And yes, hehehehe, I said backside!

Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 - 11:48 PM UTC
Did it hurt?

Mind you that German armor had all metal tracks at the time, so a trail of white scratches would have been left by such heavy metal, specially when steering...