Hosted by Darren Baker
Sunday Service Canceled!
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:23 PM UTC
And the creator of the cork covered arch said "let there be light"...

And there was light...

And he saw that it was good enough, with some minor adjustments he could make...

And he was pleased!

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:25 PM UTC
We are pleased as well! Looks very nice. I am taking notes for when I finally get back to my "lit" shadowbox dio.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

We are pleased as well! Looks very nice. I am taking notes for when I finally get back to my "lit" shadowbox dio.
J

Thanks Jerry. I will post a few shots of the glare plate I am going to attach, to reduce the brightness down to a more realistic amount of light, this is a bit too bright for my liking...

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

J

Thanks Jerry. I will post a few shots of the glare plate I am going to attach, to reduce the brightness down to a more realistic amount of light, this is a bit too bright for my liking...

It does sort of look like a bare bulb glaring from the ceiling. Dampening it down will surely help.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 09:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

J

It does sort of look like a bare bulb glaring from the ceiling. Dampening it down will surely help.
J

Yeah, it does. Iv been farting around with a few different things to reduce its vibrancy.... will get it sorted out soon.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 - 01:13 AM UTC
Still trying to sort out the archway, and the lighting situation...

but also got this little set in the mail today. Ordered from High Caliber Miniatures, came in less than a week.

These guys may not end up in the diorama, but I knew the moment I saw the review, that I needed to order them to see for myself...

I'll post some possible layouts later today hopefully, and let the Peanut Gallery decide

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 - 05:54 AM UTC
OK,someone will have to sweep the floor to clear out this build up of peanut shells.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 09:10 AM UTC
It may end up looking like your average mullet...business in the front, and party in the back!!

JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 249 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 07:40 PM UTC
Amazing craftsmanship and execution on the build of this structure. Very detailed and well designed. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more updates.

JGphins
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 09:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Amazing craftsmanship and execution on the build of this structure. Very detailed and well designed. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more updates.

JGphins

Thanks Joaquin. Hopefully will have another smallish update soon...
PolishBrigade12
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 366 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 03:23 AM UTC
This is an epic build Dave, just keeps getting better all the time, Bravo Buddy!

Cheers, Ski.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is an epic build Dave, just keeps getting better all the time, Bravo Buddy!

Cheers, Ski.

Thanks Ski! My plan is working then... I may still have a few things up my sleeve too!

below is my latest update.
Removed by original poster on 01/24/17 - 14:30:45 (GMT).
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 07:35 PM UTC
[/URL[URL=http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/ahandykindaguy/media/311fec67d4c697e74fa66e1482fcc62b.jpg.html]

[/URL[URL=http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/ahandykindaguy/media/d454bfe72dcc2fcbe6ffd28437647f12.jpg.html]

Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 09:37 PM UTC
Ayyyyy, I’ve wanted to say “What a load of corbels” for so long but not so fast, it’s actually “What a load of stepped cornices”! But enough with the arch comments, it’s getting harder to distinguish some of those shots from 1/1 scale reality, all that’s missing is the odd cobweb and a birds-nest but they’re probably still up your sleeve – up in the hammer-beam roof might be a good spot?

Dave, it’s superb & I’m not sure there’s been enough recognition of your unerring accuracy with colour. Lurkers, just isolate any two-inch square area in any of these last three photos and see how many shade-variations there are – this is a Master Craftsman at work.

americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:03 PM UTC
awesome work!! great dio and effects; as a clergy person I had to smile at the Biblical reference (specifically Genesis 1:3) about "let there be light;" cool stuff; keep up the good work
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ayyyyy, I’ve wanted to say “What a load of corbels” for so long but not so fast, it’s actually “What a load of stepped cornices”! But enough with the arch comments, it’s getting harder to distinguish some of those shots from 1/1 scale reality, all that’s missing is the odd cobweb and a birds-nest but they’re probably still up your sleeve – up in the hammer-beam roof might be a good spot?

Dave, it’s superb & I’m not sure there’s been enough recognition of your unerring accuracy with colour. Lurkers, just isolate any two-inch square area in any of these last three photos and see how many shade-variations there are – this is a Master Craftsman at work.

Thanks very much Tim, for the kind words and encouragements. I do have some tweaks, and treats that I hope to include before I'm through... you'll have to wait and see though, but I'm thinking that the bell tower may be a spot to inspect when all is said and done

And one or two other spots...
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 04:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

awesome work!! great dio and effects; as a clergy person I had to smile at the Biblical reference (specifically Genesis 1:3) about "let there be light;" cool stuff; keep up the good work

Thanks again Brian, I'm glad to be able to have the freedom to enlighten the masses once in awhile. I applaud your calling, and bless you for it. Go now, and do likewise.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 07:39 PM UTC
Really nice update! The structure and the lighting are really coming together now.
Sad to see a place of peace being takin apart by war.
If you are serious about cobwebs I know a guy in England that makes them by shooting white spirits out of his airbrush. Not sure how it works but it looks awesome !
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 11:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Really nice update! The structure and the lighting are really coming together now.
Sad to see a place of peace being takin apart by war.
If you are serious about cobwebs I know a guy in England that makes them by shooting white spirits out of his airbrush. Not sure how it works but it looks awesome !
J

Thanks Jerry. The church has always been the people, and never the building, but I know how you feel...

I am indeed serious about the cobwebs, and even the bird nests! Tim has a keen eye for the small details of the bigger picture, like someone else I know....

I've heard and seen video on making webs, it looks interesting but my 2 airbrushes don't work the way I want them to, so I may do an old school trick. When the time comes that is.

Been putting some unifying colours on the arch, and still working on getting the lighting squared away. Thanks for dropping in....

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 - 09:33 PM UTC
A few more photos of the progress I made this week. Nearly finished the archway. Just have some washes and a little painting to complete, and I need to build up the section at the top. This is so the piece fits together as seamlessly as possible with the tower section.

I've been mulling over the idea of just glueing the archway in place, thus making all the floor, and wall sections non-removable. If the lights burn out, there would be no repair options. I'm still not sure what I will decide...

In the meantime, I present for your viewing enjoyment and amusement....

I cut some corners as it were, not worrying about the inside section as much, because the sightlines into that front foyer make it nearly impossible to get a really clear view of all the details. Why waste a lot of time on stuff that won't be seen, right?

That's all for now.... thanks for stopping by everyone.

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 - 10:57 PM UTC
Nice steady and consistent progress there brother !
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 12:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice steady and consistent progress there brother !
J

Thanks there brother... they say it's what wins the race!
🏅
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 01:45 AM UTC
The crowd goes nuts as Dave Clark wins the 'Gold' in Slope-Style Roof!🏅

The 'Winter X-Games' is happening just up the road in Aspen as we speak. I'm watching from the comfort of my couch though!🍺Lol!

—mike
pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 06:15 AM UTC
Great looking work! All continue to amaze and amuse!