ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Painters tape will hold everything in place behind the scenes, it's kinda the less tacky duct tape you know! I've always said... if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

What! ... no Duct Tape!!! Oh jeez ... guess we'll let it slide since you got the lights on in time for Christmas! Nicely done!

Happy Holidays!🎄

—mike

Glad you got the Red Green ref. Mike! TBH I wasn't sure if anyone outside the great white would know aboot him? I always thought He was a strictly Canadian thing... perhaps I have been wrong all these years...sorry if I have been!

Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays!

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 07:14 AM UTC
So, I'm very glad that I haven't glued anything down, and even, even more thankful that I didn't use the duct tape!!!!

Just was downstairs looking at the diorama for a minute while feeding the new fish we were given for my daughter as a Christmas gift.

Most of the lights were off, and looking at the walls I could distinctly, yet barely, make out the glow of the other 2 LED's on each of the two strips I've used so far....

Didn't see them yesterday? Left them on all day and night, just to see if too much heat built up...wasn't expecting them to shine through the painted plastic wall sections

So, I think I'll have to prime the insides of the walls, and probably put another layer of tape down before mounting the light strips again....seriously, you can't make this stuff up!

Makes me think that we should start a thread about the weird and wacky we have encountered in our modelling madness...

Had to go to the "store" and get a bottle of Blarneys Irish Cream.... on my second small glass contemplating my next move

All for now....
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 05:07 PM UTC
Dave,
What about just wrapping some electrician's tape around the extra LEDs? That stuff is totally light-proof.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 07:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave,
What about just wrapping some electrician's tape around the extra LEDs? That stuff is totally light-proof.

I thought that it might keep too much of the heat generated by the individual diodes from dissipating, and possibly burn them out. Not that it would matter I suppose, I'm just concerned that if the other two diodes blow that too much voltage will pass through the third, shortening its life span also...am I overthinking this?

I will try the painters tape first....but thanks for the suggestion Mark. That's what I hoped for in the posting.
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 08:11 PM UTC
How about this: Electrical (or painters) tape to insulate all exposed conductors then wrap with aluminum foil in direct contact with the face of the LEDs. The foil would function both as heat sink and blind.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 08:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How about this: Electrical (or painters) tape to insulate all exposed conductors then wrap with aluminum foil in direct contact with the face of the LEDs. The foil would function both as heat sink and blind.

Thanks again Mark. I have either shrink wrapped or taped all the leads up already. Didn't want any shorting going on. I think I'll begin simple, a black sharpie to blacken the back of the plastic, then a strip of painters tape before I put the lights in place. I'll let you know how it works out.
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 03:36 PM UTC
Hi Dave,

Just catching up on your excellent, if not frustrating progress - the lights look great. I've got to say, you and I are currently dealing with many of the same uh, challenges? I too am addressing "escaping" light, and even unintentionally glowing walls...good times indeed. Oh, and shorts, and insulating connections....more fun...I have avoided disconnections though, as I've soldered each wire to wire connection. This is time consuming, but the wiring has stayed intact despite my unintentional efforts to rip it apart! Lol -

The good news I suppose is that once all the "challenges" get resolved, the results are worth it!

Best wishes to you and yours for the holidays and new year!

Cheers
Nick
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dave,

Just catching up on your excellent, if not frustrating progress - the lights look great. I've got to say, you and I are currently dealing with many of the same uh, challenges? I too am addressing "escaping" light, and even unintentionally glowing walls...good times indeed. Oh, and shorts, and insulating connections....more fun...I have avoided disconnections though, as I've soldered each wire to wire connection. This is time consuming, but the wiring has stayed intact despite my unintentional efforts to rip it apart! Lol -

The good news I suppose is that once all the "challenges" get resolved, the results are worth it!

Best wishes to you and yours for the holidays and new year!

Cheers
Nick

Sir Nick, Merci bien Monsieur. Yes, we've been "challenged" for sure...

Last night I used a sharpie marker and another piece of painters tape on one wall. I'm going downstairs to check the effect of this simple solution. It seemed to work okay, but I didn't notice he glowing right away either. I have my 3 big toes on my left foot crossed just in case

A very festive season to you and yours too, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 12:39 AM UTC

So, a little black sharpie and some painters tape later, and the unwanted glow of a couple 12 volt LED's is no longer visible through the walls.... a merry Christmas to me
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 02:29 AM UTC
🔆 🔆 🔆 🔆 🔆 🍻🥂

🎄 Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!!! 😋
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 02:44 PM UTC
Hi Dave ,

aha ,the winner stands up ! Great work my friend it gives me the feeling of a real church scene before the sunday service begins but it's cancelled and me sitting there on a chair not knowing that it has been cancelled.....

Keep up the good work !

Kurt
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2016 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dave ,

aha ,the winner stands up ! Great work my friend it gives me the feeling of a real church scene before the sunday service begins but it's cancelled and me sitting there on a chair not knowing that it has been cancelled.....

Keep up the good work !

Kurt

Thanks Kurt, I shall remember that the next time I sit in church and wonder where everybody is?

kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:37 PM UTC
Maybe because you're to early don't mind it happens to me too from time to time . Not necessarily in church...

Kurt
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 07:22 AM UTC
Did a little more surgery on my walls today, the light strip was too thick to fit back in place without some minor wall liposuction, or excavation at least....

Now, the third wall has power, light, and has been reattached to the structure. I just used some wood glue to hold it in place. And a few clamps till it's dry...

Now all I haev to do is finish off the 3rd sconce, and Bob's your uncle!

Now I can finish the lighting off with the roof lights, on another session.

Hopefully get some more bench time soon.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 07:20 PM UTC
Lookin good! You have much more perseverance than me. I seldom go back and fix things if they don't work. I always have to move on. Not always the best outlook though. Your approach is the better one.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 08:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lookin good! You have much more perseverance than me. I seldom go back and fix things if they don't work. I always have to move on. Not always the best outlook though. Your approach is the better one.
J

Maybe the m just too afraid to move on....

Thanks for chiming in Jerry. Appreciate your replies, as they encourage me to keep truckin.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 12:58 AM UTC
So, not wanting to steal anymore pegs from my kidlet's Lite-brite, I glued some black styrene to the end of a leftover piece from the other 2 sconces.

then i drilled a hole in the back with a big bit, to let the LED shine through..

another angle...

Now, I just have to glue it to the wall, and I will be done with them. I have also been working on the overhead lights, LED's for them also... but more on that another time.
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 01:26 AM UTC
been a while since I posted but I've been following this thread; amazing work on this dio; lighting looks cool and the effects and weathering are amazing; I am a clergy person who posted early on and this project has been intriguing to me; the sad truth of history, whatever one's religious views, is places of faith get caught in the crossfire of human conflict, the abbey at Monte Cassino being a famous example
PolishBrigade12
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 366 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 02:20 AM UTC
Loving every step of this build, Bravo!

Cheers, Ski.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 04:21 AM UTC
One more....

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 06:48 AM UTC
Sorry it's blurry...but, I'm trying to address an architectural concern brought up a long time ago here on the thread...
It was noted that the tower wasn't properly supported in the back corners?

I'm not an engineer, but it made sense at the time, and I am trying to address it now.

This is just a rough draft, as it were....just trying to get the proportions correct. It will be a kind of arched support, in block and stone accents, with a wood covered post on the side not cut off by the edge of the provided space.

See you again tomorrow probably.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 09:09 AM UTC
Here's what I've got so far on the arch & pillar combination...

Still some work to make it just right, and the wire is already pulled through. The pillar of the LEDs that will illuminate the entryway... which is quite a bit darker when this is in place.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 11:09 AM UTC
Here's one especially for you, Mr. Rutman, because I know this viewpoint is one you like. I was literally lying on the floor of my work area to get this one....gotta do what you gotta do to get the shot sometimes.

Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 03:34 PM UTC
Hi Dave,

First-time de-lurk for your masterpiece in the making, it’s ever-more impressive as so many have already said, so you better believe it. Ossum camera angle too.

If I could offer some tentative assistance…I’m no architect but I did study Art/Architecture History in the dark depths of the 70’s, & I never saw masonry arches resting on wooden columns. The weight of the tower would need thickish masonry supports down to (i.e. down through) the floor, so the half-arch you’ve got just needs to be mirrored with all-stone columns supporting it. Nothing fancy, you’ve got the style of stone blocks OK.

The wooden column can be recycled somewhere else – it looks like the kind of support for a wooden upper gallery (of seating) often seen in small churches/chapels, or an organ loft perhaps...

Seriously brilliant work though.

Tim
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 05:22 PM UTC
Wondrous as this whole thing is (I really am awe-struck), I think I agree with Tim that the stone arch leading to a wooden post looks a bit odd even to an untrained eye. With wiring already installed maybe an easier option than replacing the post is to simply wrap it in stone.

I really just can't believe you're cutting corners by not first going back to school and getting your degree in architectural engineering before proceeding any further. Come on, Dave!

This is truly fun to watch come together!