Hosted by Darren Baker
Sunday Service Canceled!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 07:12 PM UTC
That is an awesome pic. Really really good angle. I would love to see modelers get more shots like this,down on the ground. Over 95% of pics I see are "hovering" shots.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 08:31 PM UTC
You would not enjoy the majority of the other shots then Jerry... ...

That said....here is one from what a drone might see. And yes, I know my grass is long. I like to have it long going into the winter, it's better for the lawn

And if it helps, we up here beat you guys in the race to elect the unelectable....both federally, and provincially in my case. Sorry. That's so Canadian to apologize

It just points out the fact that the systems, and bureaucracy of both our great nations need some fine tuning. And prayer...lots and lots of prayer...and healing of divisions.... sorry everyone if it sounds trite or preachy...I am Canadian afterall
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 09:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, love the looks of that church. So realistic

Quoted Text

Things are definitely looking up! At least with respect to your build. Election-wise...

Uhoh, is that a hint to some political view of yours? You better prepare to get some flak...

Thanks for the nice comments Nicolas! And I think Mark is strong enough in character to be able to withstand some flak...like a B-17, or an Abrams tank!

Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 03:25 AM UTC
Thanks for that vote of confidence, Dave.

But don't get me wrong--I'm not expressing disappointment that any particular candidate did or did not win; Merely our inability to come up with any better options...

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for that vote of confidence, Dave.

But don't get me wrong--I'm not expressing disappointment that any particular candidate did or did not win; Merely our inability to come up with any better options...

I totally understand Mark. Think the same thing about our current provincial situation.
PolishBrigade12
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 366 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 07:31 AM UTC
Hey Dave, it's been awhile since I spied this beauty and all I can say is you did an incredible job, hands down. I bet you're feeling relief at it's finish, but a bit empty, as in, ok......next! I always feel empty after a biggin and take a stroll down the dio lane to get me up and runnin again, but it doesn't take long, lol.

Great work Buddy, you really nailed this big beast spot on!

Cheers, Ski.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 08:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Dave, it's been awhile since I spied this beauty and all I can say is you did an incredible job, hands down. I bet you're feeling relief at it's finish, but a bit empty, as in, ok......next! I always feel empty after a biggin and take a stroll down the dio lane to get me up and runnin again, but it doesn't take long, lol.

Great work Buddy, you really nailed this big beast spot on!

Cheers, Ski.

Thanks Ski! Not quite finished yet, but this time it is on the final leg
Figures will be the make or break on my happiness level, when all is said and done, but I'm learning a thing or two about acrylics painting all these trees in the courtyard

Keep looking in, updates will be more regular as the weather gets colder and the white stuff eventually begins to accumulate up here in Edmonton. That said it was 20 above yesterday and 10 above this morning when I woke up, so snow is not imminent.

Again, thanks for dropping by...
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 01:28 PM UTC
Looking particularly good in the natural light.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 12:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking particularly good in the natural light.

Thanks Paul.

Like Nick has said on many occasions, it is the best kind of light t shoot in. I just need to find a nice big concrete bench in a park close to my house...cause the s thing weighs a few scale tonne!!!

zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:40 AM UTC
Dave,

Nice work on the trees and great photos. I particularly like the view from down low. The church is very impressive in all its detail.

Looking forward to more.

Zon
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2016 - 09:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave,

Nice work on the trees and great photos. I particularly like the view from down low. The church is very impressive in all its detail.

Looking forward to more.

Zon

Thanks Zon! I hope to get another session outdoors this weekend, while the temps remain above average...the bottom is about to fall out of the heat bubble and the cold and snow are on their way

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 10:26 AM UTC
A major coverup in the making... thought this set of boxes were a little weak overall. A napkin soaked in a watery white glue mixture, old school, ala Shep Paine. Tarps 101...

I'll paint it when it dries.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 10:42 AM UTC
While I was tarping boxes I thought I would give the old mecher a softer platform on which to oversee the work on the Sturm...

Paint to follow, and some tools and parts etc... more to come boys, and girls

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 07:34 PM UTC
Slowly but surely will get it done every time ! Everything you add makes it looks better.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 09:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Slowly but surely will get it done every time ! Everything you add makes it looks better.
J

Thanks again Jerry for looking in...slow and steady, wins the race! I'm plugging away again. Little by little things are getting done... and redone...

Here's the tarp after the initial painting...

And here is the part to be redone today...

Was trying to gently pry the burnt out light off the beams, and broke it...arrrrgggghhhh! I think I'm just about done trying to light up the church....just about
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 11:00 AM UTC
Before anyone looks at the pictures, be warned, they are not for the squeamish....

They are graphic and portray scenes of extreme trauma.

These photos show the self inflicted wounds perpetrated by a slightly unbalanced individual.

If while you are viewing them you have a feeling of deja-vu, like you've seen all this before....just relax, take a deep breath and remind yourself that you have... and it worked out fine that time too

And now, without further ado, I give you tonight's modelling session....

Don't worry, the floor was already removable, and none of the figures or stuff, glued down yet. So the floor came out easily. The wooden section of the wall was pried off, and the stage was set...

This was the last of the demolition tools I used. It was necessary to enable me to ream out the inside portion of the foamcore wall section between the 2 cork interior and exterior wall facades.

Jerry, because you loved my shot from below, this one is for you...
I dug out the styrofoam that gave the height of the terrain, mostly so I could drill out the walls, where the wires would need to go... wait, I'm getting ahead of the story!

Front side. sorry it's a bit blurry, but you get the point...

Backside. Yep, there was a method to my madness, a case of temporary insanity, but I'm good now!

I'll tell you about the light tomorrow. I have a whole day of build planned, as I was laid off today!

A long story, but I'll try not to bore you all with the particulars. Let's just say I will survive, and all will work out for the best...

See you on the flip side all
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 07:49 PM UTC
Man,that sucks about your job buddy. Lots of that going on around here as well. Hopefully it was just seasonal ?
Nice solution for the wiring thing though and of course,the bottom up shot was cool as well.
J
pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 08:18 PM UTC
Sucks about the job, Dave!

A little excavation, eh? I do love lighting things up. Someday (when all the boxes are finally moved and opened), I will find my Kenworth tractor that lights up and maybe build a diorama around it... maybe hauling an M1A1 somewhere so it fits in our armor world!

Anyway, back to the freeway which is already in progress... your work is looking excellent. The use of "size water" (a fancy name from the theatrical world for a watery white glue mix) has many uses... it works well for that tarp across the fender of a hot rod, the interior ceiling of a custom, the blanket for that picnic outdoors, holding sand to Styrofoam balls in a beach scene, shrinking fabric to make it taut on a wall surface... good thing to have around. A 50/50 mix works well and cleans up with water!

Your dio look great and can't wait to see the church lit up... and not by tank fire!

Keep on keepin' on.
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 09:21 PM UTC
Hi Dave - first, sorry to hear of the news at work - seems to be the time of year for that - same occurred where I work on Tuesday. Hang in there...seems we all get the chance to experience that somewhere along the line.

Second - I'm glad to see your bravery on the dio! It's a durable model, and if you've got a new idea try it! Why not?!?? As for wiring in general, it's not something I enjoy at all - while the results can be nice, ugh - what a headache!! My current project is quiet because I don't want to keep wiring - or should I say, wiring 1:1 scale to look 1:35 scale....even small wire looks fat and out of scale...and hard to hide etc etc...

Looking forward to the next post - hang in there!!
Cheers
Nick
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 10:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Man,that sucks about your job buddy. Lots of that going on around here as well. Hopefully it was just seasonal ?
Nice solution for the wiring thing though and of course,the bottom up shot was cool as well.
J

Thanks Jer, however, unfortunately it was the first time in 23 years in the field that I was full time, permanent. 4 years. Oh well, at least it's not totally unfamiliar territory.
The course is in receivership, so the hammer fell on most of us. Hopefully things will improve, and hopefully the course owners change in the aftermath. They're lack of respect for the way business operations work has led to this, and if they are all to contain I don't think things will change.

But enough of the

The wiring solution I have been focusing on should make it relatively simple to do, and redo as bulbs fail...although over time I may just let the dead lie in peace.

It is November after all
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 10:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sucks about the job, Dave!

A little excavation, eh? I do love lighting things up. Someday (when all the boxes are finally moved and opened), I will find my Kenworth tractor that lights up and maybe build a diorama around it... maybe hauling an M1A1 somewhere so it fits in our armor world!

Anyway, back to the freeway which is already in progress... your work is looking excellent. The use of "size water" (a fancy name from the theatrical world for a watery white glue mix) has many uses... it works well for that tarp across the fender of a hot rod, the interior ceiling of a custom, the blanket for that picnic outdoors, holding sand to Styrofoam balls in a beach scene, shrinking fabric to make it taut on a wall surface... good thing to have around. A 50/50 mix works well and cleans up with water!

Your dio look great and can't wait to see the church lit up... and not by tank fire!

Keep on keepin' on.

Thanks Patrick. I have a small bottle of "size water" on my bench at all times! More lighting work planned for today....film at eleven!

Modelrob
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 304 posts
Armorama: 293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 10:30 PM UTC
Dave I keep following the work you are doing on this diorama and it is just fantastic.

Robert
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 10:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dave - first, sorry to hear of the news at work - seems to be the time of year for that - same occurred where I work on Tuesday. Hang in there...seems we all get the chance to experience that somewhere along the line.

Second - I'm glad to see your bravery on the dio! It's a durable model, and if you've got a new idea try it! Why not?!?? As for wiring in general, it's not something I enjoy at all - while the results can be nice, ugh - what a headache!! My current project is quiet because I don't want to keep wiring - or should I say, wiring 1:1 scale to look 1:35 scale....even small wire looks fat and out of scale...and hard to hide etc etc...

Looking forward to the next post - hang in there!!
Cheers
Nick

Nick!

Durable!! That would be an understatement of near mammoth proportions.

I know what you mean about scale...its one of the reasons I've been doing all this insanity...

I actually had to use my framing hammer 🔨 to pound the drill bit through the foamcore and plaster layers of the building!

We both know the end results are worth the effort, so I know we will both endure the momentary frustrations and complete the tasks...later dude.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 10:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave I keep following the work you are doing on this diorama and it is just fantastic.

Robert

Thanks Robert. Glad you're enjoying my escapades!
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 04:55 AM UTC
Dave,
Sorry to hear about the course. Hopefully it will get turned around for you, or a better opportunity will present itself.

Brave man indeed for hacking into your beautiful church. I know the results will be spectacular though, and illuminating.

Take care,
Zon