Hosted by Darren Baker
Sunday Service Canceled!
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 - 09:51 PM UTC
Hi Dave - I'm sorry, that sounds way too cold!!! You know, the picture of the 15th - looks like it could be used as a nice backdrop for someone building a winter battlefield dio! Nothing out of scale for a dio - no overhead lines, no brightly colored anything, no real scale people, the trees are in the distant background, and a heavy sky. If I weren't such a Luddite with tech I'd try to use photoshop or something with model or dio pics - I'll bet it could look pretty cool! Or cold!

Take care
Nick
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dave - I'm sorry, that sounds way too cold!!! You know, the picture of the 15th - looks like it could be used as a nice backdrop for someone building a winter battlefield dio! Nothing out of scale for a dio - no overhead lines, no brightly colored anything, no real scale people, the trees are in the distant background, and a heavy sky. If I weren't such a Luddite with tech I'd try to use photoshop or something with model or dio pics - I'll bet it could look pretty cool! Or cold!

Take care
Nick

Way too cold!!!! Lol. It's only March! There should still be a foot of snow just starting to melt, not 12 greens nearly ready to be dragged and verticut for the opening day....

It's coming way to quickly, but the good news is that this coming week is supposed to be more "normal" for this time of year. Yay!

The course is 20 Km out of the main city on the corner of a couple rural roads, so lots of undobscured views of gently rolling countryside. The only issues mos of the time is the constant threat of incoming Titleist's

Thanks for stopping in Stick! Going to try and get some modelling in today...played goal last night, got home from hockey and a post game pizza at 2 AM this morning....barely off the couch now at 1PM

Later....
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 09:23 AM UTC
It's not quite a bump, I actually did some modelling tonight before supper!!!!

Not much, but I spent almost twenty minutes working on the colours and blending of the steeple roof section to make it more in line with the lower roof section. Wow! First true bench time in almost seven months!

No pictures to prove it, my smartphone's camera bezel got ripped off at work a few weeks ago...

The season has taken a quick downturn as snow has come much too quickly for the amount of work I still have left, and more in the forecast in the next few days

But model club has started up again, and my desire to build is increasing...

From the presently great white north, good morning, good afternoon, and goodnight! That's all for now folks.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 06:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not much, but I spent almost twenty minutes working on the colours and blending of the steeple roof section to make it more in line with the lower roof section. Wow! First true bench time in almost seven months!

No pictures to prove it, my smartphone's camera bezel got ripped off at work a few weeks ago...

The season has taken a quick downturn as snow has come much too quickly for the amount of work I still have left, and more in the forecast in the next few days

From the presently great white north, good morning, good

afternoon, and goodnight! That's all for now folks.

Welcome back brother ! Nice to see your words. When you go to the meeting make sure you give my regards to Mr Volstad as he has had some medical issues recently and we wish him the best.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 07:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

From the presently great white north, good morning, good

afternoon, and goodnight! That's all for now folks.

Welcome back brother ! Nice to see your words. When you go to the meeting make sure you give my regards to Mr Volstad as he has had some medical issues recently and we wish him the best.
J

I will Jerry. We meet the second Tuesday of each month, at a local high school. Our attendance seems higher than last year. We've had two meetings since September, and as I recall, I don't think I saw Ron at either one? I will remember him in my prayers, and pass along your regards.

Thanks for dropping by bud.
Stickframe
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 10:12 PM UTC
Hi Dave,

Well, i'm going to view your "bump" as a sneak preview - it suggests that you're putting your golf course to bed for the winter! And when that's taken care of you might have a few minutes here and there to bring the build back to life!

Looking forward seeing what you're up to!

Cheers
Nick
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dave,

Well, i'm going to view your "bump" as a sneak preview - it suggests that you're putting your golf course to bed for the winter! And when that's taken care of you might have a few minutes here and there to bring the build back to life!

Looking forward seeing what you're up to!

Cheers
Nick

Stick! You're would be correct in your assumptions, I am indeed in the bedding process for the golf course, and I have been getting some bench time too. I have been able to do some work on the trees. I've been painting and detailing the trees in the courtyard. Probably should have been done before gluing them in place, but I've been able to reach most of them.

I will post some pics soon...maybe even today.

Thanks for dropping in. Later dude. And sorry about the Giants, the Jays didn't do much better...not that I'm a die hard fan or anything, they are from Toronto after all. But they are the only "Canadian" team in the MLB, so I do cheer them on from September until the end of their season. Whenever that comes. It seems like they are going to be strong for a few more seasons.

Catch you on the flip side.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 - 09:32 AM UTC
So I've had a little bit of "spare time"... and have been able to spend a few minutes again today at the bench. Trying to get back into the rhythm of plugging away at the list of difficiensies. Some of them are related to the lighting situation. Some are related to my obsessive need to tinker. Some are are a little of both😂

First, even though I've mentioned that I've been painting trees, I will show you the progress on the streetlight. Here's where I left it last:

The grain of wheat light burnt out a few days after I had wired it in. So I pulled it out tonight and pulled a new one through, which was as normal for me it seems, slightly more work than I wanted. The original pole is a Miniart lamppost. I had to drill the inside diameter of the pole to allow for the wires to go through it.

Here's the new pole. I couldn't thread the wires through a second time, and tried to drill out the hole a little more....and broke through the sidewall!

So I cut it out, and searched my plastic and metal tubing, until I found a good match. A little CA, a little primer, a little secondary highlight colour and a blue filter later and voila.....
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 - 10:35 AM UTC
And trees.... well, one anyway.

This is a newer one I scrounged from my supply to replace the big, all encompassing one I had poorly constructed back in the day. This one is from a bunch of wicker broom pipes I found at Michael's. Started plain dark brownish.

I started by using a wash of Vallejo white primer and water, brushed on liberally. I had added some light grey shade, also Vallejo. Then after that was more or less dry, I went again with the grey wash, then some dark oil wash, and picked out areas with reference photos and mental images of the trees at my course fresh in my head

When that had dried up well, I came back today with some green wash, very diluted and subdued, and finally a sepia wash to bring back some of the brown tones....easy peasy, right?
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 - 02:16 PM UTC
Nice work Dave , your tinkering paid off on the light and the tree looks great .
The busy atmosphere between the church and the Tiger looks cool .
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 - 06:30 PM UTC
All subtle but welcome improvements. The biggest improvement though,is seeing you back at work on this ! LoL
J
pnance26
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 - 07:01 PM UTC
Nice recovery on the lamp post and a fine job on the tree!

Looks great!
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 - 07:42 PM UTC
Thanks Cheyenne, Jerry and Pat. I have the initial light grey filter on most of the trees around the courtyard so far. Some of them also have the secondary colours added too, but boy it would have been easier to do before gluing them in place...

What was I thinking? Oh well...soldier on. Right boys!

Again thanks for stopping by.
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 - 07:57 PM UTC
fantastic, amazing dio!! this one has kept my attention because I am a clergy person (26 years) and a modeler; the steeple looks awesome and the ruins are very convincing; the guy in the steeple reminds me of the Saving Private Ryan scene with the sniper; I also recall a story about "Panzer" Meyer or one of those leaders using a church steeple during one of the Normandy battles (Villers-Bocage maybe? please correct me if I'm off target); great job
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 - 09:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

fantastic, amazing dio!! this one has kept my attention because I am a clergy person (26 years) and a modeler; the steeple looks awesome and the ruins are very convincing; the guy in the steeple reminds me of the Saving Private Ryan scene with the sniper; I also recall a story about "Panzer" Meyer or one of those leaders using a church steeple during one of the Normandy battles (Villers-Bocage maybe? please correct me if I'm off target); great job

Thanks Brian. Everything is coming together again. After a several month layoff it takes a while to get back on course, but I'm moving in the right direction. I'm not sure of Villers-Bocage, but it would seem to be a given that steeples would be both a great vantage point, and a target due to its usefulness...
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Panzermeyer used one of the solid towers in the Abbey Ardenne northwest of Caen. His HQ was posted below and the tower served for a while as an op for command and also forward observer point. Church steeples are not a good place for a sniper or FO as they are very obvious. The Allies liked to knock them all down even though there is little evidence they were used much by the Germans. Same with Monte Cassino. Unoccupied by the Wehrmacht until after the allied bombing pulverized it,making the ruins perfect defensive positions which the Paras promptly occupied !
There were also very few actual "snipers" in the German Army by the time the US got involved. Just as every incoming arty round was called an "88" by the GIs,also every tank a "Tiger",the Joes also called every time they got hit, it was from a "sniper".
German Infantry was scarce by this time and the "sniper" fire was usually just from the very thin screen of Infantry firing their rifles as they normally would. Sounds more dramatic calling it a sniper though.
J
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 - 11:16 PM UTC
you're right, it was an abbey at Caen; all I could remember was Normandy and for some reason Villers-Bocage; clarification is always good thanks; and you're right about the Allies' proclivity for knocking down certain structures based on the assumption snipers or FO's were present;
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 08:58 AM UTC
Got another of the trees painted up tonight while the kidlet was having her bath. Several filters and washes applied, the main greeny coloured one via my Iwata AB. Then some sepia, and black mixed, followed by a dark grey for grey wash, and straight sepia tone to round it out...

Almost relaxing, when it's not glued down to the diorama!

All for now, Dave.....signing off.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 10:41 PM UTC
Here is a pic I had that shows a little of what you he tree above looked like prior to my efforts...let me know what you lurker guys think....

Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 02:18 AM UTC
Ah, Fall must be in the air; Dave is posting again.

Looks great, Dave. I love the lamp-post and the trees!

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 03:47 AM UTC
I think your efforts paid off very well with the tree.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 08:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah, Fall must be in the air; Dave is posting again.

Looks great, Dave. I love the lamp-post and the trees!

Mark, I do believe winter has pretty much come! But more like an English winter...cold and rainy, no more snow except in the trees

The weather has been brutal for 3 weeks, we've technically been open, but I haven't been able to bring staff in, because no one plays when the snow comes early

Oh well, more bench time is ok with me

Glad you like the trees, tedious work, but I like the results so far. Might try a birch tree next, if I find the right subject in my box of twigs...

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 11:35 AM UTC
Took some outdoor shots with my iPad this afternoon...it was close to 20 degrees Celsius

Unfortunately only one of them seemed worthwhile to post....in case anyone is needing a break from the election coverage!

Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 02:50 PM UTC
Things are definitely looking up! At least with respect to your build. Election-wise...

Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 03:40 PM UTC
Wow, love the looks of that church. So realistic

Quoted Text

Things are definitely looking up! At least with respect to your build. Election-wise...

Uhoh, is that a hint to some political view of yours? You better prepare to get some flak...