Hosted by Darren Baker
Sunday Service Canceled!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 07:37 PM UTC
NICE !! Yes,I admit it,I am a big fan of the low camera angle for taking pics. But almost everyone likes the "drone" style of hovering above ground. Maybe they want to show off the work all at once ? Maybe.
But thanks for taking that picture buddy.
I cringe when I say it,but I have to agree with the comments about the arch. It doesn't fool the eye because you would never seee something built like that. It looks like you have room to just cover the post with stonework? That would solve it.
Or not, after all,it is "your" church.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 09:10 PM UTC
Tim, Mark, and Jerry....Wow! You post a couple of pictures of an architecturally questionable support structure and.....

Thanks guys, and tbh I was prepared for a response such as all of your musings.

I was hoping that it would look like the bottom of the stone column was wrapped in wood... I guess I didn't succeed

It wouldn't be a stretch to have wrapped the lower portion in wood, would it?

A curious mind wants to know!

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 10:40 PM UTC
Since the consensus of the TPG has been decided, I present for your collective approval....

Further work to follow of course...

Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 10:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was hoping that it would look like the bottom of the stone column was wrapped in wood... It wouldn't be a stretch to have wrapped the lower portion in wood, would it?

Dave, I think that would absolutely be within the realm of not just possible, but highly likely. Problem is that, as is, that column is just too skinny for that to be convincingly the case. Sorry, man, just callin' it like I see it.

I think your latest re-work is much closer to the mark, although it looks like you're approaching the point where you might be just as well to blend it in as sort of an extension jutting out from the back wall rather than a stand-alone pillar.

Anyway, 100% top-notch work all-round!!!

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I was hoping that it would look like the bottom of the stone column was wrapped in wood... It wouldn't be a stretch to have wrapped the lower portion in wood, would it?

Dave, I thank that would absolutely be within the realm of not just possible, but highly likely. Problem is that, as is, that column is just too skinny for that to be convincingly the case. Sorry, man, just callin' it like I see it.

I think your latest re-work is much closer to the mark, although it looks like you're approaching the point where you might be just as well to blend it in as sort of an extension jutting out from the back wall rather than a stand-alone pillar.

Anyway, 100% top-notch work all-round!!!

Thanks Mark. I'm kinda leaning that way too, but I will play around with this iteration awhile longer before I decide.

Comments and criticisms are always welcomed by me, I know we are all cheering each other onwards! And upwards!

Dave
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 11:30 PM UTC
And as I look at it--again, not being an engineer myself--I think if you built up the post as an extension of the wall you could get away with substantially reducing or even eliminating the arch, which would visually open back up the space under the tower.

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 01:15 AM UTC
Yes,the latest pic would work. Now if you still wanted the wrapped in wood effect you would now add the wood panels on top.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 03:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes,the latest pic would work. Now if you still wanted the wrapped in wood effect you would now add the wood panels on top.
J

That is the new, albeit sorta old plan....I had envisioned this format once a long time ago, but thought for space requirements and the lack thereof that my post in the corner, and some quasi-architectural rantings of a quasi-edumacated plastic, cork and foam board wizard in training might suffice

Cest la vie!

Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 09:18 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

Have to say – max points for your open attitude, I’d have been chewing the furniture by now! Your v2 is towards what I was suggesting but the weight of the tower would still burst the outer wall of the church outwards. If what you have now is half of an arch, what I was trying to say was make a full arch there. And having slept on it I’m now plagued by long-repressed memories of architectural styles (so there goes thousands of dollars of therapy up in smoke!), your church’s other arches are gothic style (pointy) which is dead right for the context, but the new one is Romanesque or Norman i.e rounded or semi-circular. So just saying either take no notice of me (wouldn’t blame you at all!) or make the (full) arch pointy too.

Backwards and Downwards! I’m being taken away now – know any good Architectural Behavior psychologists?

Cheers, Tim
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 11:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dave,

Have to say – max points for your open attitude, I’d have been chewing the furniture by now! Your v2 is towards what I was suggesting but the weight of the tower would still burst the outer wall of the church outwards. If what you have now is half of an arch, what I was trying to say was make a full arch there. And having slept on it I’m now plagued by long-repressed memories of architectural styles (so there goes thousands of dollars of therapy up in smoke!), your church’s other arches are gothic style (pointy) which is dead right for the context, but the new one is Romanesque or Norman i.e rounded or semi-circular. So just saying either take no notice of me (wouldn’t blame you at all!) or make the (full) arch pointy too.

Backwards and Downwards! I’m being taken away now – know any good Architectural Behavior psychologists?

Cheers, Tim

Hey Tim, first of all, sorry for the nightmares... and the wasted dollars in therapy. Model building is really a cheaper alternative to Clinical Psychology.

I think I understand, well I do understand what it is you're saying. That said, I believe you have missed a fundamental point made perhaps 30 or more pages back in this thread about the building and its primary location, and the perceived amount of damage...

The argument goes like this. Because the first rule of diorama building as Shep Paine described them is to never use lines parallel to the edges, I chose to skew the church at its given angle. I decided to break the plane of the edge of the base, in this case a nice 5 dollar frame from Value Village, by using a more interesting damaged edge to all the walls, and roof lines where they broke the aforementioned vertical plane...

I decided then that while the amount of damage in a couple areas may look disproportionate, or that there should be more debris, for instance, that it was the overall look I wanted, regardless of the possibility it may look slightly "off".

As I fully wanted to be able to see the inside of the tower, I opened up the back end, and I merely damaged the left wall (as looking towards the inside) because it continues outside the plane. The same for this new arch. In reality, my perceived reality, that is...the arch does extend to the left side wall. The damage shown is only because it too crosses the plane.

As for the type of arch, I have taken some artistic license here, and my windows are one style, whereas the archway and front entrance is of the other style. I chose to mirror the entrance arch with this one. Doors similar, and windows of like shapes. No rhyme or particular reasoning... I may have mentioned that a ways back too as a cautionary note. Always plan ahead!!!!

Does this make sense for you? Or am I truly not understanding what you are trying to tell me?

Either way, I think this will be the last go round for this whole tower structure portion of the build. I say it every year, but I really do want to finish this one and start another. I'm about a thousand behind Mr. Rutman. And time flies, whether you're having fun or not

Dave
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 12:09 PM UTC

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 12:17 PM UTC
Two more of the new addition, hope it passes muster...

Hopefully this helps to put things in perspective....

Goodnight all...
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 12:22 PM UTC
Absolutely - Duh! Had I put on my Tiffany diamante pince-nez before, I would have noticed where the back edge of the base was going…the other side of the arch can’t exist anyway, as you say.

Sorry Dave, and yes get away from this arch-itectural stuff as fast as possible, look what it did to me!

Cheers,

Tim
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 05:32 PM UTC
Dave,
Based on your latest photos, to my eye it appears you have exactly nailed it!

Keep calm and carry on!

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 07:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Absolutely - Duh! Had I put on my Tiffany diamante pince-nez before, I would have noticed where the back edge of the base was going…the other side of the arch can’t exist anyway, as you say.

Sorry Dave, and yes get away from this arch-itectural stuff as fast as possible, look what it did to me!

Cheers,

Tim

No worries mate! Cheers! Figured you'd just missed something simple. I had to look up the Tiffany diamanté reference.. 👀

Yep, should have some cork work done today, and run the wire for the light, nothing has changed from that plan. I should still be able to creat a phantom light effect...time will tell

Thanks for all your input, it was a good exercise. Keeps me on my toes.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 08:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave,
Based on your latest photos, to my eye it appears you have exactly nailed it!

Keep calm and carry on!

Thanks my friend. Hopefully the rest of the construction goes on schedule, and on budget...these setbacks and revisions are really eating into the bottom line

Have a good one Mark.

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 08:28 PM UTC
Ahhh yes. Nothing like a solid piece of masonry to start ones's day correctly. Nicely done. If you look at your arch now in the context of the whole tower,it now appears to be sturdy enough to support the whole shebang.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 08:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahhh yes. Nothing like a solid piece of masonry to start ones's day correctly. Nicely done. If you look at your arch now in the context of the whole tower,it now appears to be sturdy enough to support the whole shebang.
J

Thanks Jerry, I did all this between 9 and 11:30 last night, my time zone... off to continue the job search this morning. Still looking. Had a job offered to me, but it was in a town 2.5 hours of highway driving away, and my better half is not interested in moving again....EVER! !!

I'm feeling a bit of modeller's déjà vu again....I'll let you in on it shortly.

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 09:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

J

Thanks Jerry, I did all this between 9 and 11:30 last night, my time zone... off to continue the job search this morning. Still looking. Had a job offered to me, but it was in a town 2.5 hours of highway driving away, and my better half is not interested in moving again....EVER! !!

I'm feeling a bit of modeller's déjà vu again....I'll let you in on it shortly.

So about the dejavu.... we all had this exact set of conversations regarding the exact same issues way back on page 25 of this thread!!!

I should have done this then. Oh well. Better late than never I always say!

I had a good laugh at least going back there and reliving the last few days again...

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 01:54 PM UTC
Had a busy day, just not busy modelling...

All I managed to do...

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 08:31 PM UTC
It's all good. The job search and the modeling will get sorted.
J
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 07:39 PM UTC
Nice work on the lights Dave , coming along nicely !!!
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... So about the dejavu.... we all had this exact set of conversations regarding the exact same issues way back on page 25 of this thread!!!

I thought that sounded familiar — thought I was losing it! 😜

Looking good! All that red wire, green wire stuff is way too complicated for me though!⚡️💥 ... Gonna' go watch a couple of 'Red Green' episodes instead!

—mike
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 04:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work on the lights Dave , coming along nicely !!!

Thanks Cheyenne... appreciate your time to comment.

Your work is coming along swimmingly as well...

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 04:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

... So about the dejavu.... we all had this exact set of conversations regarding the exact same issues way back on page 25 of this thread!!!

I thought that sounded familiar — thought I was losing it! 😜

Looking good! All that red wire, green wire stuff is way too complicated for me though!⚡️💥 ... Gonna' go watch a couple of 'Red Green' episodes instead!

—mike

Too complicated for me too...just soldered the wrong ends on the leads for the light on the inside of this arch...twice!!

Then soldered, and heat shrunk the wrong coloured, but correct pins on them. Not redoing it this time...

Always cut the green wire....or is it the red one?