Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
REVIEW
Zvezda Russian T-90 MBT
floggerspam
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 05:14 AM UTC
I am foaming at the mouth !! I must have a T-90 !
This kit looks pretty good to me from your posts and reviews.
I cannot believe you are thinking about puting Zvesda's turret on a Tamiya body. It looks like Zvesda went all out with this tank. It looks 1st rate to me. I have never seen a T-90 up close. It looks spot on with the few photos I can find up close. Shut up and build the damn tank !!! I can't wait to have one.

Cheers.
John
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have never seen a T-90 up close. It looks spot on with the few photos I can find up close. Shut up and build the damn tank !!! I can't wait to have one.

Cheers.
John

Well...here you are

http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=1702

http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=1700

http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=874

http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/yuri_pasholok/t-90/

http://otvaga2004.narod.ru/publ_w7_2010/0045_t90.htm

http://armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/Modern/T90/

http://army.lv/ru/t-90/631/12

http://btvt.narod.ru/5/90/90.htm
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 10:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got them here

http://army.lv/ru/oruzhie/Vse-vidi-oruzhiya/Suhoputnie-voyska/Tanki/631

http://army.lv/ru/t-90/foto/631/12#info

I'm almost sure that you've already known this very interesting site Olivier

Thanks a lot Mauro.
A while ago, the tanks in Moscow site existed and had a huge collection of pictures but for some reason it suddenly disappeared.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 - 04:50 AM UTC
So after sorting the track painting I continued with the build. First thing was attaching the rear hull plate and then mating the hull halves. The fit here was very nice, with only one small area at the front needing some filler and one area at the rear also needing filler. The rear plate is a fairly busy affair with various bits and pieces to attach once the hull is mated up:

The fit of the two hooks, cables and un-ditching beam was perfect. Then comes some more building on the rear deck including attaching the two cables up to their hitches:

The instructions say you should cut each piece of string to be attached to 10.5cm, I would say to give yourself an extra 1 or 2mm here. For some reason I ended up with about an extra 1cm on one string bit, but it was easily wrapped up and attached. I suppose a metal tow cable would be more aesthetically pleasing and would certainly weather better but the one good thing about string is that it is easily shaped and glued into place without much fuss.

The front en-trenching blade was also finished:

Sideskirts went on next and although the general fit is positive I encountered a small gap appearing between the hull and the top of the skirts as I tried to ensure the skirts sat flush at the front and back. I won't know if the gap needs filling until I give it a shot of primer, in any case it is a very small gap and nothing troubling.

So another few steps to go before the build is complete.

Thanks for reading.

-Karl187-

clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 05:04 AM UTC
Those grills are very suspicious
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Those grills are very suspicious

Why, did it knock over a bank? !

Yeah I said a few posts back the metal mesh I was using was out of scale, its the only pattern/size I have to hand at the minute.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 05:56 AM UTC
I just remembered something I forgot to ask earlier. I'm planning a small scene to put the T-90 on and I want to have a roadsign/warning sign in Russian on it. So I was wondering if one of you Russian speakers out there would translate the following phrase for me:

'WARNING: ENTERING MILITARY CONTROL ZONE'.

Thanks for any help with this.
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 07:18 AM UTC
Try Eduard's Zoom set to Tamiya's T-72... Maybe It can be fitted to your T-90 and it's not so expensive... Or you can try this very fine mesh that comes in a coffeemaker filter. Best regards.

José.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 07:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Try Eduard's Zoom set to Tamiya's T-72... Maybe It can be fitted to your T-90 and it's not so expensive... Or you can try this very fine mesh that comes in a coffeemaker filter. Best regards.

José.

Usually I use metal meshes available at harware stores. They are cheaper and incredibly useful

Anyway Karl I'm sure you've already known
You 've already glued your grills?
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 07:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

José.

Actually I just used the kit supplied mesh. To be fair to Zvezda its a better representation of the actual grill than a photo etch part. The Zvezda mesh isn't too hard to work with, just a pair of sharp scissors and a little patience and mine went together just fine.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 09:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

José.

Actually I just used the kit supplied mesh. To be fair to Zvezda its a better representation of the actual grill than a photo etch part. The Zvezda mesh isn't too hard to work with, just a pair of sharp scissors and a little patience and mine went together just fine.

Rob have you glued it with common plastic cement haven't you?

Good info, thanks a lot. I think I'll use on mine if I can't find a convincing metal mesh

Cheers
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 10:02 AM UTC
I just used cheap super glue Mauro. I think its a decent representation of the grill, photo etch is often too 2D and flat.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 11:30 PM UTC
Jose- thats a good idea about the coffee maker filter, I must go and hunt one down!

And yes as Mauro said I have already glued the mesh in place so I can't go back. Using the a T-72 etch set never occured to me, but its not a bad idea. Although I reckon we will see a dedicated etch set for the T-90 in the next week or two.

I think the kit supplied mesh is decent enough, I've just never liked that sort of material though.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 05:29 AM UTC
So Christian beat pretty much everyone to the starting line with his T-90. But it looks like I got to the construction finish line first !

By the way, check out the view count on Christian's thread, it is standing at 22,106 already- damn impressive> !

After my last post there wasn't really a great deal to do. The steps of putting on the fuel drums and tubing is optional- only on long route marches or operations are they actually used so much of the time they are unlikely to be mounted, in which case the cradles need to be clipped to leave a nice square joint-cover with four nuts- there are plenty of references out there for how it should look and modifying the kit parts would be easy.

For the setting I plan for the tank I need the fuel drums attached. They sit on the cradles easily but connecting the tubing up was a bit tricky, some tape was needed to bend things ever so slightly until the glue had time to set.

The engine louvre covers at the rear are usually positioned open- the shape doesn't appear quite right to me, I reckon these might be replaced by etch pieces in aftermarket sets.

The front headlights are quite tricky too (the clear parts will be added after painting) and I had to cut down the left one to fit properly. The last thing is the side armor plates which go on very nicely.

So now its time for some paint. I reckon this calls for my Badger.

Er...the other one.

Thats the one !

Thanks for reading.

-Karl187-
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 12:14 PM UTC
Hi Karl,

Very nice build. looking forward to seeing paint on it!

i can see why you choose the later badger as the first one seems it would be difficult to control and stripping it down and cleaning could be a real B*TCH!

Gary
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 07:22 PM UTC
Well done Karl! Now i'm waiting for the "badger" job

I Notice that isn't there any putty on your model . Also on the 2 pieces gun burrel any seams are visible
I know that Christian (aka Warsavpact) has had some problems with the gun barrel assembling, what about you?

Can I assume that kit fit is quite good?

Cheers
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 08:09 PM UTC
Great build so far, looking forward to seeing it with paint.

S
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 11:57 PM UTC
Gary- thanks a lot mate!

You too Steven, glad you like the build.

Mauro- there wasn't any putty at that point, just a little to plug two small gaps when I mated the hull. As for other areas I wanted to wait and see what the primer showed up. There were a couple of bits toward the end of the barrel which needed cleaning up but I must say it did fit quite well and the seams mostly dissappeared after a sanding session. The worst parts I noticed under primer were the fuel barrels and some bits around the sideskirts, I've plugged them with Vallejo Putty and some Mr. Hobby Dissolved Putty (brilliant product by the way).

Kit fit overral was excellent, one or two areas needed some fiddling and sanding and the odd bit of cutting. Worse bit was the gun barrel attachment. Just snip the bit off the end at the back of the barrel that protrudes and it will fit very snugly into the mantlet, no need for glue in fact.

The only other area I had trouble with, which I forgot to mention yesterday, was the turret ring. Fitting the turret to the hull is very fiddly because the hull is thick and the turret really needs to be pressed down hard to get it to lock and turn freely, I ended up having to shove a pair of tweezer's through one of the open hatches to force it down into place so I didn't break anything. Seems to come on and off quite well after that.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 08:30 PM UTC
Thanks for the info Karl, i'll keep them in my mind when I face up to my model
Unfortunately i can't find mr dissolved putty, I think I'll use some diluted Tamiya white putty to fill small gaps

Regarding the warning signboard i've found these ones

They are not military but i think that more or less it would be the same
i think you could directlely print the first one and then you could use it on your dio

cheers

Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 04:35 AM UTC
Mauro- thanks for those signs- do you know what they say?

I found a good way to print stuff like that is on matte photo paper- its kind of like really thin card, good for mounting and it is more durable than ordinary paper.

MDC in the UK is where I get all my Mr. Hobby products- they probably deliver in the EU aswell, check it out:

MDC

Vallejo Model Putty is also pretty good- I find it dries a lot quicker than any other putty, allows you to get on with things easily.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 05:14 AM UTC
Some Russian guy should confirm, but as far as I understood it should be written

"No trespassing"

Thanks for the link Karl

Cheers
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 321 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 07:51 AM UTC
Karl, superb job on the T-90!
I might have been first to start the building the T-90 but i have learnaed alot from you , especially the track/lower chassie part. That's the beauty of "tandem" builds, one gets ahead of the other on some sections and the other one can learn from it.

I read somewhere a few posts back about a diorama being mentioned...what kind of dio are you planning? Sounds very exiting! Looking forward to seeing your T-90 in full color.

Once again...great progress on your build!

Brobru
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 10:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some Russian guy should confirm, but as far as I understood it should be written

"No trespassing"

Basically yes. It literally reads:
"Entry of unauthorized [personel] forbidden"

This one:

found here: http://www.garnek.pl/acidart/5754130
reads:
"Military zone entry forbidden".

I'm not an expert since I've only studied Russian for 3 years in high school and never was particulary good at it, but I have a feeling that the first one will be more suitable for placing on the fence of some warehouse or on the doors of the back in a shop, than beside the road on a military checkpoint if you catch the diffrence.

Karl very nice build and nice photos! I'm looking forward to see it painted!
And I'm seriously tempted to add this beast to my stash. Oh so much good kits!
Cheers
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 01:26 PM UTC
Here a pic

http://galinaaksyenova.livejournal.com/56870.html?thread=433446

Thanks for the translation Jaroslaw

Cheers

Brobru
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 - 09:09 PM UTC
Nice find!
This one reads:
"Forbidden zone no entry"
(the last two words are literally "passage closed" but it's kind of awkward sounding in english I think)