_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
REVIEW
Zvezda Russian T-90 MBT
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 10:23 PM UTC
Erik- Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the comments! And yes, I will be taking it with me to the IMSS show- what are you bringing yourself?

Hayden- Your comments are much appreciated and I'm very glad you enjoyed the build. I've done Zvezda's BTR-80A myself, it was actually a build log and Feature on the site a while ago. It wasn't a great kit and if you managed to built it up then I would say the T-90 won't be too much of a challenge for you. As I've said it is light years ahead of anything Zvezda have done before and the fit of parts is great, allowing for a very satisfying build progress. Another great thing is this kit isn't too expensive and I think, if you are interested in Russian stuff you will definetly enjoy it. Just watch out for the rather weak running gear!
If you are looking for other kit recommendations then check out the Reviews section of the website, there's plenty new and old to take a look at and see if there's anything that takes your fancy. If you have any questions then don't be afraid to ask them on the site, there's always plenty of modellers willing to help you out. Happy modelling!
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2012 - 07:30 AM UTC
Well... my notorious unfocused building will once again prevent me from bringing anything. Still, I'm hoping for a great modeling weekend in Dublin. I know I saw your BTR last year but I have to admit I can't put a face to your name. Hopefully that will change in about a week or so.

Cheers,
/E

Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 12:54 AM UTC
See you there Eric!
mario50
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 06:07 PM UTC
I m not a really exspert modeler also if i am in the hobby since many years, I got the zvedza MBT T90 just today i been chosen between ZVEDZA and Meng which was the best , i chose zvedza and is my first kit from this brand , BUT THE REVIEW I M READING HERE MAKE ME SCARING , SO I HOPE TO HAVE CHOSEN THE BEST kit the pic in this blog appear to be very nice i m now looking for some brand for upgrade the T90 what you think the zvedza is better than TRUMPOETIER AND MENG?
Mariio
101yann
Visit this Community
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
KitMaker: 97 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I m not a really exspert modeler also if i am in the hobby since many years, I got the zvedza MBT T90 just today i been chosen between ZVEDZA and Meng which was the best , i chose zvedza and is my first kit from this brand , BUT THE REVIEW I M READING HERE MAKE ME SCARING , SO I HOPE TO HAVE CHOSEN THE BEST kit the pic in this blog appear to be very nice i m now looking for some brand for upgrade the T90 what you think the zvedza is better than TRUMPOETIER AND MENG?
Mariio

Hmm...if I get this right, basically :

1- you chose to buy the Zvezda T-90 over the Meng model, even tough the latter has NOT been released yet and no photos of the actual kit have been shown...
2- Next, you checked this thread here, liked what you saw in the photos very much but some comments made you scared...
3- and now it seems you're having doubts you made the right choice (sic) and want to know which kit is best, a question no one can answer at this stage since neither Meng nor Trumpeter have released their T-90 kits yet, as well as what upgrades to get for your Zvezda T-90 ?

This has got to be one of the funniest posts I've read in a while...

Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 10:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mariio

Hi Mario- I think you have a conundrum here that quite a lot of others will be facing now- i.e. which T-90 kit to choose? I don't think anyone has yet got their hands on the Meng version and the Trumpeter one has only just been announced so, at the minute, Zvezda is still the only one on the shelves.
Now, you have obviously read through this review and blog and seen a few of the issues but it has to be said the Zvezda T-90 is by no means perfect but it does build up into a nice kit and there have been a few aftermarket upgrade sets for it (I think ET Model and Voyager each have sets) so there is still plenty of potential in it.
I suppose what you could do is wait for the other T-90 kits and see what people say about them in reviews, comments etc and then either keep the Zvezda kit or buy one of the new ones. Or, what you could do (and what I'm going to do) is build two or more T-90s- the Zvezda kit is a decent one and the build is fun and not too difficult. My advice is to get building it, then maybe build another !

I hope this helps you out a bit !
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mariio

1- you chose to buy the Zvezda T-90 over the Meng model, even tough the latter has NOT been released yet and no photos of the actual kit have been shown...
2- Next, you checked this thread here, liked what you saw in the photos very much but some comments made you scared...
3- and now it seems you're having doubts you made the right choice (sic) and want to know which kit is best, a question no one can answer at this stage since neither Meng nor Trumpeter have released their T-90 kits yet, as well as what upgrades to get for your Zvezda T-90 ?

Yann there's no need to make fun of anyone for asking some questions. Armorama is all about modelling- Mario asked questions about some kits- nothing funny there at all- just a fellow modeller looking for some advice.
101yann
Visit this Community
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 12:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mariio

Yann there's no need to make fun of anyone for asking some questions. Armorama is all about modelling- Mario asked questions about some kits- nothing funny there at all- just a fellow modeller looking for some advice.

Karl,

obviously it's not the idea of asking questions that I find funny, it is the questions themselves here.
Big difference. Thought I had made that clear but I'll try again :

- In his post Mario says he had been looking at both the Zvezda and Meng T-90 kits to see which kit was best, and finally elected to purchase the former. At this stage, one already wonders what criteria he used to make his choice considering the Meng offering is still nowhere to be seen as I write this ?
The boxart only ?...the retail price ?...

- On top of that, by his own admission, this was his first Zvezda kit.

- Then, Mario reads the comments and sees the photos of the Zvezda T-90 here in this thread and has second thoughts. (didn't he open his kit box to see for himself first? Here's an idea...) Hence a string of questions about what people think of the Meng and Trumpeter kits that have yet to hit the streets, an information that was just a few mouse clicks away.

- He also goes on to ask what upgrades to get for his Zvezda model, a likely indication that accuracy is a concern and that by now he's realised this kit has many shortcomings.

So yeah I find it amusing that someone would :

a- make a choice without having the chance to make comparisons beforehand and based on criteria that are unclear

b- rush to buy a kit from a company he's not familiar with, and then ask for opinions on said company / kit

c- ask questions no one can answer at present since these questions are about kits that have not been produced yet and for which we do not even have photos of the assembled model / sprues etc

I see that in your urge to lecture me you didn't offer any advice to Mario yourself, so I will give mine :

1- use common sense

2- don't rush decisions

3- when in doubt, ask first, then act

More specifically about T-90 kits :

All I can say at this stage is this : there is very little doubt Meng's T-90 model will blow the Zvezda effort out of the water (that can't be too hard !) and thus should be recommended, particularly if accuracy is a concern (as it seems to be for Mario).

Trumpeter's model – if indeed it eventually sees the light of day – must be many months away still.
Given Trumpeter's past record, and bearing in mind the T-90 tank is a very complex machine, there is no reason to speculate Trumpeter's effort should be any better than Meng's. Quite the opposite if you ask me...

Thus it may be a good idea for Mario to get rid of his Zvezda T-90 by selling it to someone who may be interested in such a d... hmmm I mean 'basic kit'... get some cash back and invest in Meng's model when it's available at the end of June / July.

I happen to think Mario could have spared himself a lot of trouble if he had followed 1, 2, 3 above, and yes, find it 'funny' he did not.

PS : no human being was killed and no animal was hurt during the making of the above message.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 12:27 AM UTC
Yann- I'm glad to see you think that its funny when people don't follow your 'advice'- I guess you laugh a lot then...

My apologies...that was mean but I couldn't resist .
Anyway, I'll keep this brief- I did offer Mario advice- my two cents if you will. I also had no urge or intention to lecture you or anyone else- I made the suggestion that perhaps more constructive comments from your good self would have been more appreciated, rather than making fun of someone.

In the future I will make sure to defer to your obviously superior T-90 knowledge, T-90 kit knowledge and model building skills...
101yann
Visit this Community
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 04:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yann- I'm glad to see you think that its funny when people don't follow your 'advice'- I guess you laugh a lot then...

Anyway, I'll keep this brief- I did offer Mario advice- my two cents if you will. I also had no urge or intention to lecture you or anyone else- I made the suggestion that perhaps more constructive comments from your good self would have been more appreciated, rather than making fun of someone.

In the future I will make sure to defer to your obviously superior T-90 knowledge, T-90 kit knowledge and model building skills...

You once again choose to conviniently ignore the points I make an twist my words so you can indulge in your stupid school playground rethoric...or perhaps you are simply mentally challenged ??? I'm beginning to have my doubts...

My 'advice' was to use COMMON SENSE.
In this matter, common sense dictates you should should ask FIRST if a kit is worth obtaining BEFORE you actually part with your cash.

As for your last sentence, oh for christsake don't give me that crap!
These days anyone can have access to online walkarounds and see for themselves.
It's just a matter of taking the time to LOOK.
And it doesn't take long to see the Zvezda T-90 is a joke in terms of accuracy.

So don't defer to me, get off your lazy a... and do your homework
Or not, but then keep quiet on the matter. Forever.

Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 04:28 AM UTC
Ah...making light of being mentally challenged...nice...real nice.

To anyone reading: I'm apoplectic and disgusted by Yann's post about mental impairment- I know people who are mentally disabled-its not something you ever mention like that- NOT EVER.
I am so angered by this disgusting abuse- Can't believe this, just for asking someone to post something more constructive.

hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 04:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You once again choose to conviniently ignore the points I make an twist my words so you can indulge in your stupid school playground rethoric...or perhaps you are simply mentally challenged ??? I'm beginning to have my doubts...

My 'advice' was to use COMMON SENSE.
In this matter, common sense dictates you should should ask FIRST if a kit is worth obtaining BEFORE you actually part with your cash.

As for your last sentence, oh for christsake don't give me that crap!
These days anyone can have access to online walkarounds and see for themselves.
It's just a matter of taking the time to LOOK.
And it doesn't take long to see the Zvezda T-90 is a joke in terms of accuracy.

So don't defer to me, get off your lazy a... and do your homework
Or not, but then keep quiet on the matter. Forever.

From your own and not twisted words, for me, the funny thing is you talking about "common sense"
If you're not able to mantain a civilized arguing, who is going to care about your opinions?
From my -very narrow- point of view, yo did not give any advice, just pontificated about what you consider is a wise way of doing things...
I was not going to post anything but your attitude bothered me enough to make me write this.
Anyway, I can keep living without your opinions, and you are surely able to do the same without mine ones, so good luck with your smartness!
JumboTron
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 11:03 AM UTC
I'm using my Zvezda T90 for a zombie Apocalypse diorama driven by a hot Russian female crew. Dust games has the 1/35 scale figures. I'll post pics when it has finished. I liked the price of the kit. Accuracy is no concern since this is a fun project. I had a succession of fairly intense Gunze Sangyo kits that require me to have some fun. The Meng model would have taken a month to get from China and didn't want to wait. I think I'll go for a camo scheme on the T90 that is a tad personal for my lady tank crew. It will be awesome!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 11:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm using my Zvezda T90 for a zombie Apocalypse diorama driven by a hot Russian female crew. Dust games has the 1/35 scale figures. I'll post pics when it has finished. I liked the price of the kit. Accuracy is no concern since this is a fun project. I had a succession of fairly intense Gunze Sangyo kits that require me to have some fun. The Meng model would have taken a month to get from China and didn't want to wait. I think I'll go for a camo scheme on the T90 that is a tad personal for my lady tank crew. It will be awesome!

That does sounds pretty awesome John- the Zvezda kit probably isn't the best of the bunch (I haven't built any of the others yet) but it still builds up pretty well and its a fun build. Definetly post some pics of your project- maybe even do a build log- would love to see what you are planning. Best of luck with it !
davsam28
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 - 04:02 PM UTC
i just bought the T 90 from ZVEZDA and i thought i would check out the thread here for some inspiration. this project was very well done and the end result is a awesome painted model thank you for sharing Karl
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 - 10:25 PM UTC
You're very welcome David, I'm very glad my build was of some inspiration to you- many thanks . I (and I'm sure everyone else around here) would love to see some pics of your build.
x_crue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 01:27 PM UTC
Newbie to the forums here. I have clarifications about the scale of the Zvesda T-90. I've already built a Trumpeter T-90 Cast Turret. Decided to build another T-90 and spotted would you believe the Academy/Zvesda T-90A.

The box was branded by ACADEMY with a small logo for ZVESDA. Have read several reviews of this, the only difference I found with the real ZVESDA and ACADEMY/ZVESDA T-90 was that the ACADEMY has a photo etched fret for the engine grills. Which was nice.

I bought it and built it. Compared it with the TRUMPETER T-90.It seems the ZVESDA hull is a bit longer and bulkier
than the TRUMPETER.

Would like to ask for any opinion on what brand has the right dimensions/scale for the T-90.

Thanks.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 03:33 PM UTC
Hello Fer- I didn't know Academy were doing re-boxings of the T-90, that is interesting. Zvezda were actually supposed to release an etch set, metal barrel and rubber side skirts for their T-90 kit but apart from some pre-production shots a good while ago I have never seen any more news of it- so its also interesting that you get some etch in the Academy kit.

As for the dimensions of the Zvezda kit- there are a good few threads on Armorama that tackled the dimensional problems. The biggest problem people here seemed to find was the running gear height. Obviously there were other problems here and there and you have touched upon that in your post. Unfortunately I don't have any of the threads bookmarked but if you use the search function on Armorama I am sure you will come across some of them.

In terms of what company has the right dimensions I can tell you it is definitely not Zvezda- though don't get me wrong- their kit is both good and well priced but it does have its flaws. In terms of the 'best' kit I can't offer any direct experience because up to now I have only built the Zvezda one but from what I have read in reviews and build logs both the Trumpeter and Meng kits are excellent and I certainly haven't heard as many complaints regarding their kits as I have about the Zvezda one.
x_crue
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 06:34 AM UTC
Thanks Karl.

I will try to post some pictures of the box of the Academy/Zvesda T-90. Am surprised that this is not available in stores in your area.

Thanks again.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 09:41 AM UTC
Hi;

The Academy/Zvesda partnership was announced almost A Year ago; Which was A WIN/WIN Coup for Zvesda, as it Helped them with Import into Western Markets.

CHEERS; MIKE.
Removed by original poster on 05/05/16 - 01:54:32 (GMT).
x_crue
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 06:55 AM UTC
Here is a picture of the side of the box of the ACADEMY/ZVEZDA T-90 kit.

photo IMG_0495_zps0sdsoxqz.jpg" BORDER="0">
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 03:39 PM UTC
Thanks for that Fer, very interesting to see.

Mike- I get what you are saying- an agreement with Academy would certainly help Zvezda in various markets.

x_crue
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 08:04 AM UTC
This ACADEMY/ZVEZDA T-90 is only available in one store here in Manila, and its only the T-90. Hope there would be other models, a BMPT Terminator perhaps.
 _GOTOTOP