Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-72 M1
Kharkov
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 05:23 AM UTC

CA glue has mood swings, some days it does what you want, other days it dont,

On the days it dont, do something else.

asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 1,389 posts
Armorama: 1,388 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 07:46 AM UTC
Today it did what I wanted!

One more smal bracket to do, two log holding straps and I can move from the rear glacis I need some help on the barrel....Should I mount it prior to paint since there fuel lines to do? Advice?

Thanks for watching and comments.
Phil.
flugwuzzi
Visit this Community
Lower Austria, Austria
KitMaker: 633 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 10:01 PM UTC
Good progress, Phil.

I mounted the wooden log and other fiddly parts after painting basecolor (but also the pe-parts for the fuel drums ... hope yours won't popp off ...)

cheers
Walter
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 02:40 AM UTC
Thanks Walter. I'm pretty sure the pe parts won't fall, they seem well attached.
I'm not sure about putting the log... the one in the kit is not to good..could be worst but I need to find a real wood one .

asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 08:51 AM UTC
worked on the exhaust today...intricate indeed and time consuming. And the CA god wasn't on my side....But the force prevailed.

Each of the 12 eyelets had to be glued perfectly centered to permit the passage of the styrene rod...wich never will be seen

then the excess was cutted and the hood was glued, by then I've realised that i could use a tiny seringe to pour droplets of ca...Works soooo much better!
Anyways the exhaust mesh is on. something seems out of wack on the pics.... I'll manage

And the finised product.

I'm working on the v shaped splash guard it is comming up nicely.

Thanks for watching.

Phil.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 03:00 PM UTC
Hey brother Phil,

Its really lookin' good well done on the exhuast bro! Hey, I forgot to tell you, i need the T-72 back when your finished....for my display case of course...

Later buddy,
Gary
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 03:09 PM UTC
Hahaha! I got you bro!
i just have to find a way to get it to you in one piece.
Thanks for the good word Mace.

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 03:29 PM UTC
Hey buddy, just messin' with ya! No way id take that away from ya bro. Its a pleaser to see you build it and it will be a magnificent addition to your collection.

Gary
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 02:16 AM UTC
Gary...I'm half joking on this one, I plan to try to sell some of my model on e-bay. It is getting tight in here and I`m moving so I`ll need the extra place! So I`ll wont sell this one bro!

Phil.
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 01:23 PM UTC
here is an update on my progres:

Plugged some holes on the front glacis, since i'll be using pe parts.

Some details on the upper hull

Next some major cleaning on the upper hull and.....tiny pe with ca glue again.

Thanks for watching.

Phil.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 03:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gary...I'm half joking on this one, I plan to try to sell some of my model on e-bay. It is getting tight in here and I`m moving so I`ll need the extra place! So I`ll wont sell this one bro!

Phil.

Hey brother Phil,

I hear ya my friend...things are tuff all-over. A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do! Ill back your play brother.

Gary
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 10:05 PM UTC
@Philippe – asmodeuss,

Hope you enjoy reading through this while sipping some coffee? Thanks for posting the deleted pic, just for me, hihi! Looks like an RB aluminum barrel? And Voyager PE to decorate the Tamiya T72 M1, it’s starting to look like Christmas!

Glad to hear the copper screen meshing I sent you finally arrived, maybe someone at Customs had been thinking of keeping it for their armor project NOT.

I had already gotten most of the photographs taken of the needed items for the soldering SBS when my Kodac camera decided to let me know that the memory card needed to be formatted right in the middle of downloading them to the computer. Losing photographs this way had already happened a number of times before, to both my wife and I. Anyhow, she went out and surprised me with a new camera. So I’ll be shooting photographs again in between a braille build that I have been posting over in the Braille forum. Sorry, but no SBS by Christmas, too many logs in the fire here at home. Your making good headway on the PE in spite of the angry CA gods.

@Spiderfrommars – Mauro,

Quoted Text

You could also use copper or brass wires (it'll be easier for you to find the right gauge this way) but you should burn them on a kitchen flame before use. As you know copper is stiffer than lead but the burning process can reduce the metal tempering effects, so your wires will become far more malleable.

Thanks for amending the tip I posted. I don’t think my wife will be too upset if I am standing in front of the stove as long as I am cooking something for her and I.

Like yourself I too am happy to share and help, it makes this hobby that much more enjoyable for everyone. BTW that spaghetti pic you posted sure looks mighty good, humm!

@Tanksami – Mike,

Quoted Text

Eddie I would love to read you SBS on soldering as well, the couple of times i have tried wound up with me saying Houston we have a problem lol

Too funny, Mike! Thanks for the laughter – needed it!!! Thanks for your interest in the SBS soldering, when I’m finished with the text, proof reading and photographs I will submit it as a Feature here in Armorama. There has been a number of topics posted on soldering but I think what is really needed is a simple, easy, effective and not so costly way of soldering photo-etched parts. Photo-intense and keeping things simple is the key. If a cave man like myself can do it, anyone can do it!

Quoted Text

You having CA glue prob's bro? - Gary

Quoted Text

Thanks Gary. CA problems....I think it is just the way CA is, it builds my patience. - Philippe

Quoted Text

CA glue has mood swings, some days it does what you want, other days it don’t, on the days it don’t, do something else. - Matt

Quoted Text

Today it did what I wanted! - Philippe

Quoted Text

Worked on the exhaust today...intricate indeed and time consuming. And the CA god wasn't on my side....But, the force prevailed. - Philippe

Quoted Text

Next some major cleaning on the upper hull and.....tiny PE with CA glue again! - Philippe

Having CA issues? CA not co-operating? CA wanting to do what it wants to do without any regard for your authority? Well, it’s time for the CA poe-poe (police)!!!

TIP: Use a medium sanding stick to abrade the PE where you’re going to place the CA. This gives the CA something to hold onto. Place a small amount of CA on a piece of wax paper. This should keep the CA from setting up and last thru one modeling session (wax paper repels water, water is what causes the CA to harden as do your hand oils / moisture). Add talcum powder to the CA. CA’s tensile strength is king but it has no shear strength, so by adding the talcum powder you’ve added the needed shear strength. Never apply accelerator directly to the CA, this shocks the CA and makes it weak – easy to shatter. Add accelerator via a dampened micro brush near enough to the CA to have it run over to the CA. Unlike water accelerator exhibits almost no adhesion so it easily spreads. For small PE parts or parts that will be placed on the model that will not have any tension on them use Future / Kleer. This amazing floor wax is self-leveling, dries thin and rock hard and has the stamp of approval from the modeling gods. If you need to remove any PE after the wax sets up just use an alcohol dampened ear swab or brush. No muss no fuss! I keep a small bottle (used Testors liquid cement jar) and a No.1 paint brush on the workstation and let my wife know its for keeping the bench waxed and clean, hihi!

Hope this helps,
~ Eddy
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 02:31 AM UTC
Haaaaaa! Eddy, you are just in time... I was just taking a break from an awefull pe session with the ca running everywhere Thanks for the sweet tips Eddy. As always you are a resourcefull fellow
I should have a update tomorow...I`m working 12 hrs today Mheeeee, darn holliday season, everyone gets vacation except me!

A quick quesyion: Does the miniarm tracks work with usual cement?

Phil.
Imek46
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 06:53 AM UTC
Welcome.

It"s fun begins. I"ll be cheering
Braille
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 04:26 PM UTC
@Philippe – asmodeuss,

Glad to be of help Philippe! You’re not the only one working during the holidays, besides you could put those extra bucks to good use when you make that big move!!! Looking forward to your next update just don’t rush a good thing!

@Imek46 – Zbigniew,

Welcome to Armorama. Hope your stay is a happy and productive one.

~ Eddy
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 02:53 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Zbigniew! Hope you`ll have a great ime with us...in fact I know you will. This community gave me a lot of joy and help. Model on fellow builder!

Eddy,
Thanks again brother, I`ll surely use those xtra bucks during the moving process... or on soldering item....Got..to....resist temptation

I`m working on the headlamps...I`m not sure I`m going all the way with thiss pe kit, I`m still a little green for this one I think. But even if I only use 50%, this kit is uber huge I still gonna use the sweetest parts!

I didn`t intend to update but here is where I am 2 pics. The splash guard and lamp are not glued yet and the horn still need some loving but at least i`m going forward even after a couple of days of pe despair

Thanks for support and comments peeps!
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 03:47 AM UTC
Hey Brother Phil,

Looks like you chippin' away at the T-72 bro. Lookin' nice my friend. Looks like Eddy's got your back...NICE!!!

Gary
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 01:29 PM UTC
Thanks Gary!
The pe is really saping my moral tough...or should I say: THE INFAMOUS CIANO ACRYLATE!!
As god as my witness I declare C.A. my sworn enemy!
I`ve returned to gator grip to tack the pieces on the model, but I can`t seem to find a good way to apply the darn CA.

Anyone got a neet trick? I`ve tried toothpick tiny seringes.
I would try tiny brush, but it would cost too much. I`m sure it would go sooooo well.

anyway I`m still loving the trade

have a nice one guys and thx for enduring my giberrish
Phil.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 02:14 PM UTC
Hey brother Phil,

Im alot less freaked out by the CA glue nowdays. I still dont like it, but im tha boss of it now, not the other way around as it was for sooo long!!!

What i did was Glue a sewing needle in the end of an old paintbrush handle. Just drilled the end and CA glued the needle in place. Thats what i use for all my PE glueing. It alows me to place a tiny drop where needed. I made 2 sizes, heres a pic.

I sure hope that helps my freind!

PMing you now,
Gary
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 03:52 PM UTC
Thx mate I`m gonna build me some of those!

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 04:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey brother Phil,

Im alot less freaked out by the CA glue nowdays. I still dont like it, but im tha boss of it now, not the other way around as it was for sooo long!!!

What i did was Glue a sewing needle in the end of an old paintbrush handle. Just drilled the end and CA glued the needle in place. Thats what i use for all my PE glueing. It alows me to place a tiny drop where needed. I made 2 sizes, heres a pic.

I sure hope that helps my freind!

PMing you now,
Gary

I do almost the same. The only differerence is that I use a metal wire (usually a steel guitar string) which I bent with a plier untill I have a small "eye" at his end. That "eye" allows me to get a tiny drop of Ca glue which I can apply thanks the capillary action

Anyway, me too, I don't like super glue. I'm stll looking for something alternative as the Gator glue isn't sold in italy

Great job so far, I reallu like those details!

cheers
Braille
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 10:21 PM UTC
@asmodeuss – Philippe,

Go with Master WinBogg’s needle set, you can reach almost any spot on the model with them. And if you get frustrated you can throw them like darts and hit something too!

You can also use the end of an Xacto blade. Another way to go would be to crush the end of a fine wire (about the size of Gary’s smaller needle) between a vise and using a file shape it into a spoon and file the spoon flat making it close to paper thin. This actually holds less glue than the needles do (unless you’ve made a large spoon) but you can bring it up against the edge of the PE and allow the capillary action to run over and work its way around and under without having an excess amount of CA.

The CA tends to collect and ball up at the end of the needle but both the Xacto blade and spoon keep it spread out until it comes in contact with the PE and model, or your fingers!

Plus you can wipe one side of the spoon clean of CA before introducing it to the parts. You can’t do that with the Xacto because the edge is to sharp and the CA can easily get around that edge to the other side, especially if you've applied too much.

Hope this helps,
~ Eddy
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 12:34 AM UTC
Wow,your PE details are really looking good.
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 02:57 AM UTC
Thanks Guys!
@Anthony
Thx for the kind words mate.

@Mauro
Guitar string hmmmmm. I got some guits and a banjo laying around I`ll try that loopy thing for sure. Nice easy trick thx.

@Eddy my man! This micro spoon plan is awesome, I like it a lot. I shall build such a device...after the hollidays since my vise is at the art workshop I could hammer it but it is less precise.

Thank you all again, I might consider a second date with CA now

Now if I don`t update this week: You all have a merry christmas! And just for kicks...What did you ask for christmas you all?

Phil.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 03:28 AM UTC
Hey Brother Phil,

SEE NOW...CA glue can be your friend too bro!

Lots of great ideas fellas. Another great thing about guitar strings is they make great tattoo needles. Most of my tattoos were done with a homemade tattoo gun and guitar string....OUCH!!!!

Gary