Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
UN Campaign
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2014 - 06:16 AM UTC
I guess I should post an update before I get too behind. Work started last week and the Trumpeter kit has gone together well. I'm not delving too deep in to the assembly. I'll note any issues.

Road-wheels, drive sprockets, idlers, and front/rear torsion arms. The idlers use PE inserts and are a bother to get lined up properly. The drive sprockets are standard two-piece deals. The torsion arms just need shock mounts added. The road-wheels are two-piece with the inner hub eing inserted in to the outer wheel.

Lower hull details. Assembly is straightforward.

Rear doors. They have detailed interiors. A shame Trumpy didn't include an interior, even a rudimentary one.

Now the upper hull. Trumpy's instructions are spread out. I broke from the instructions a bit and installed the parts in groups. For example, I added all the periscopes at once instead of doing one side now, then the other a step or two later.

Periscopes and some of the other fittings. And the top hatches. You'll see them better in the next picture.

All the hatches on, as well as more fittings...like tie-down hooks.

And that's where I am. It's a nice comfortable little build and I'm enjoying it. Some nice bits ahead....indie tracks, metal barrel, and choices in missiles.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2014 - 03:10 PM UTC
Looks cool so far! Keep it coming!

I'm done with my AMX 30 AU F1, images are made, I'll just have to tune them a bit and upload.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2014 - 11:36 PM UTC
I'm done! I just uploaded the image to the gallery. This is my very first campaign to actually finish
flugwuzzi
Visit this Community
Lower Austria, Austria
KitMaker: 633 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 12:02 PM UTC
@Bluestab
Good progress with your BMP. It´s a pity Trumpeter didn't include some interior. Would be nice to make open doors.

@Cristian
Congrats for finishing ... looks realy nice and cool. Was indeed a speedbuild ;-)

cheers
Walter
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 03:10 PM UTC
Thanks Walter! Looking forward to see more finished models
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 09:59 PM UTC
Cristian, nice built, you are the first finalist for this campaign. Fast and very good work.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 11:13 PM UTC
Thank you, Alex!
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I've always had a thing for UN vehicles, maybe because they are white, maybe because my country has participated in many of those mission... I just don't know! :-)

Anyway, here is my entry.

Tamiya Leclerc as a unit that served during the UNIFIL mission. I don't have a specific vehicle in mind, just a white Leclerc!

UNIFIL Leclerc and updates to be used photo LeclercUNCampaign001_zps18ac010c.jpg
UNIFIL Leclerc date close-up photo LeclercUNCampaign00_zps57401c1b.jpg
UNIFIL Leclerc unboxing photo LeclercUNCampaign003_zps9403e58a.jpg

Cheers all,

Chris
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 11:12 AM UTC
An excellent choice, Chris! Looking forward to see the first images!
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 05:04 PM UTC
Yes it is. 'm enjoying this build very much! Typical Tamiya! :-)

Quoted Text

An excellent choice, Chris! Looking forward to see the first images!

photo PC140047_zpse7361866.jpg
 photo PC140046_zpsc6f4b715.jpg

I'm working on the turret at the moment. I just realised that the barrel is not straight with the Tamiya mantlet! :-( My bad!
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 08:11 PM UTC
Excellent choice Christian ! If you intend to detail the Tamiya kit a bit more than adding the Lion Roar set, you can have a look at my site to get some ideas for this.
I also posted a gallery full of pictures of Leclerc MBTs deployed in Lebanon. It could give you nice ideas to break the overall white monotony

Olivier
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 08:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not a bad idea at all. There is plenty room for a modeler to choose his project. I just fear the overall white will turn boring in the end of the campaign This will be a true challenge for our painting skills.

Olivier

My years as a flyer in the military had some of the missions I flew for about 6 months carrying UN vehicles in and out of Zaire...with hardly any white among them. Unless something changed since the 80's, most of the vehicles that were on our airplane(s) were various shades of gray...pick your poison as no one shade of gray was the same. Of the 36 or so vehicles we carried at any one time, less than a half dozen were white.

All vehicle did carry at least the big UN markings, and carried those markings on all four sides. The vehicles for the most part did carry the UN lettering on their hoods (bonnets), but not all. As I recall none of the AML 60/90's had roof markings. Adding more confusion, and non conformity to boot, some of these vehicles carried the blue UN emblem along side the UN markings, but very few.

Some of the vehicles in theatre you ask? How 'bout Land Rovers, M151's, AML 60's and 90's for starts...

All of these vehicles, in all configurations, came from Corsica (with the French Foreign Legion as passengers), with temporary drop offs and pick ups in Gabon for final destination and use in Zaire, in 1978/1979.

Now, this 'Operation Shaba' may not have been an "official" UN mission, but 95% of the vehicles on our aircraft possessed UN markings. Every mission I participated and flew on for a better part of 7 months all had predominate UN marked vehicles...no matter the make/model. The French Foreign Legion, Belgian and United States were the predominated players with a smatterings of other western nations such as West Germany, and China, Egypt and Iran...against probable rebel forces from Angola, Cuba and the Soviet Union (advisors).

Towards the end of 1978 and remaining into 1979, the entire region soon came under control of French and Belgian paratroops, until they were relieved by an Inter-African Force (Force Interafricaine) led by 1,500 soldiers from Morocco and comprising Senegal (560-600), Togo and Gabon.[4] Other contributors to the force included Cote d'Ivoire who dispatched about 200 medics. While not completely a UN mission, it did have UN elements and deployments monitored by UN observers. We even carried personnel representing the UN on our aircraft.

Since 1978/1979, ongoing conflict in the country continues with under watchful eye of the UN with continuing deployment(s) to the region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kolwezi

http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/CGSC/CARL/download/csipubs/ShabaII_FrenchBelgianIntervention_Odom.pdf

As a side bar, I flew alot of UN marked equipment into countries not considered sanctioned UN missions...in areas such as Suez and Central Africa, as well as Central American jungle wars...all with UN vehicles and not declared official UN missions. There was a fine line drawn in almost every conflict on the rules of engagement and what vehicles were 'allowed' to participate when representing the UN...whether unofficial or not.

So, if you want to model other abstract 'underground' vehicles used in these UN unpublished/unannounced/unsanctioned UN missions for purposes of this campaign, I guess thats up to the campaign guru...have fun!

I wouldn't mind marking my AML 90 in UN badging for the time I spent in and around Zaire.
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 09:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent choice Christian ! If you intend to detail the Tamiya kit a bit more than adding the Lion Roar set, you can have a look at my site to get some ideas for this.
I also posted a gallery full of pictures of Leclerc MBTs deployed in Lebanon. It could give you nice ideas to break the overall white monotony

Olivier

Hi Olivier,

I'm trying to keep this one as simple as possible, I want this to be a quick build...

But I will definitely look your website up for the 10th time! lol... I'm not a big fan of the Lion Roar update kit... Aside from the barrel, basket and grills of course!

Merci,

Christian
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 - 11:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My years as a flyer in the military had some of the missions I flew for about 6 months carrying UN vehicles in and out of Zaire...with hardly any white among them. Unless something changed since the 80's, most of the vehicles that were on our airplane(s) were various shades of gray...pick your poison as no one shade of gray was the same. Of the 36 or so vehicles we carried at any one time, less than a half dozen were white.

All vehicle did carry at least the big UN markings, and carried those markings on all four sides. The vehicles for the most part did carry the UN lettering on their hoods (bonnets), but not all. As I recall none of the AML 60/90's had roof markings. Adding more confusion, and non conformity to boot, some of these vehicles carried the blue UN emblem along side the UN markings, but very few.

Some of the vehicles in theatre you ask? How 'bout Land Rovers, M151's, AML 60's and 90's for starts...

All of these vehicles, in all configurations, came from Corsica (with the French Foreign Legion as passengers), with temporary drop offs and pick ups in Gabon for final destination and use in Zaire, in 1978/1979.

Now, this 'Operation Shaba' may not have been an "official" UN mission, but 95% of the vehicles on our aircraft possessed UN markings. Every mission I participated and flew on for a better part of 7 months all had predominate UN marked vehicles...no matter the make/model. The French Foreign Legion, Belgian and United States were the predominated players with a smatterings of other western nations such as West Germany, and China, Egypt and Iran...against probable rebel forces from Angola, Cuba and the Soviet Union (advisors).

Towards the end of 1978 and remaining into 1979, the entire region soon came under control of French and Belgian paratroops, until they were relieved by an Inter-African Force (Force Interafricaine) led by 1,500 soldiers from Morocco and comprising Senegal (560-600), Togo and Gabon.[4] Other contributors to the force included Cote d'Ivoire who dispatched about 200 medics. While not completely a UN mission, it did have UN elements and deployments monitored by UN observers. We even carried personnel representing the UN on our aircraft.

Since 1978/1979, ongoing conflict in the country continues with under watchful eye of the UN with continuing deployment(s) to the region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kolwezi

http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/CGSC/CARL/download/csipubs/ShabaII_FrenchBelgianIntervention_Odom.pdf

As a side bar, I flew alot of UN marked equipment into countries not considered sanctioned UN missions...in areas such as Suez and Central Africa, as well as Central American jungle wars...all with UN vehicles and not declared official UN missions. There was a fine line drawn in almost every conflict on the rules of engagement and what vehicles were 'allowed' to participate when representing the UN...whether unofficial or not.

So, if you want to model other abstract 'underground' vehicles used in these UN unpublished/unannounced/unsanctioned UN missions for purposes of this campaign, I guess thats up to the campaign guru...have fun!

I wouldn't mind marking my AML 90 in UN badging for the time I spent in and around Zaire.

Interesting input John. Thanks for sharing your experience.
I do agree that not all UN vehicles in UN missions are plain white. Some still sport their camouflage with only large UN stickers to show they belong to the UN peacekeepers.

Will be glad to see your AML 90. Which scale do you intend to built it?

Olivier
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 - 04:50 PM UTC
Your welcome. Glad to add a bit more info that sometimes is not, or never, reported to the outside world. Tidbits of information like this will always have to come from an eye witness to the event(s). Sad to say, the press is complicit in this lack of information a lot of the time.

I have a AML 90 in 1/35 scale...the old, but still attractive, kit from ADV/Azimut. I've had that kit in my stash since it was released in 1999 or 2000(?). I actually started the kit just two weeks ago, so your campaign hit at the right time.

Oh yea, the campaign I was involved with when dealing with Zaire...I had the privilege of working, and flying, with, the 2nd Rep of the French Foreign Legion. Gracious and kind gentlemen all, but savagely hostile as expected from their training. There is probably no other group of foreign fighters I carry more respect more then the Legion (being 100% French myself certainly doesn't hurt)! And I've got the stories to match their prowess!

So, who in charge of this campaign will grant me permission to model a UN vehicle from a unsanctioned UN conflict, and join this campaign???
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 - 04:18 AM UTC
Here's an update gents...

Construction is over and the primer will go on soon.
I will paint it NATO 3 tone first, than go for the white with some chipping of the white.
 photo TamiyaLeclercUNIFIL-013_zps0b3340ca.jpg
 photo TamiyaLeclercUNIFIL-012_zps758a51b4.jpg
 photo TamiyaLeclercUNIFIL-011_zps30ff339c.jpg
 photo TamiyaLeclercUNIFIL-010_zps24fc3519.jpg
 photo TamiyaLeclercUNIFIL-009_zps25233e73.jpg
 photo TamiyaLeclercUNIFIL-007_zpse3ce628e.jpg
 photo TamiyaLeclercUNIFIL-006_zpsf00d3d9d.jpg
 photo TamiyaLeclercUNIFIL-004_zpsf4cbb263.jpg
 photo TamiyaLeclercUNIFIL-003_zpsd97982e9.jpg
 photo TamiyaLeclercUNIFIL-002_zps44c69c9c.jpg
 photo TamiyaLeclercUNIFIL-001_zpse79510ad.jpg

I hope you like it!

Christian
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 - 04:43 PM UTC
Very nice and clean build so far, Christian! Looking forward to seeing more of it!
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 - 10:37 PM UTC
Nice work on your Leclerc.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2014 - 07:45 PM UTC
Maybe my question got lost in the masses, but I'll ask again...who will grant me permission to model a UN vehicle from a unsanctioned UN conflict, and join this campaign???

roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2014 - 08:36 PM UTC
You can start by asking the campaign organizer.
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2014 - 11:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Torsten:
SFOR was NATO lead.

Cheers
Walter

SFOR (Stabilization FORce) was established by UNSCR (UN Security Council Resolution) 1088 on 12 December 1996. It replaced IFOR which had a one year mandate from the UN on 20 December 1995. It was NATO led, but operated as a peace-enforcement operation of the United Nations. Several non-NATO countries provided troops including (among others) Australia, Egypt, New Zealand and Russia.

It is my understanding that any vehicle that operated under a UN mandate would be eligible for this campaign, as stated in the campaign regulations as such:

1. The build must be a vehicle in UN markings.

3. There must be evidence that the vehicle was actually deployed in the service of the UN.

Let me know as my basis for this campaign was using Trumpeter's 1/35 Grizzly 6x6 (Late) in SFOR markings.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 - 11:36 AM UTC
It's been a while since PrickleHead, the campaign owner last dropped by... I wonder if this campaign is still "alive"...
Removed by original poster on 12/24/14 - 14:56:02 (GMT).
steph2102
Visit this Community
Isere, France
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 06:20 PM UTC
hello, here is my entry for the campaign

[IMG]http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w427/stephan3800/ACGP%20COUGAR%20early/P1340506_zps1bdc9eba.jpg" BORDER="0">[/img]
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 09:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's been a while since PrickleHead, the campaign owner last dropped by... I wonder if this campaign is still "alive"...

I guess the members have had a lot to do apart modeling for the last couple of weeks

I started my entry this afternoon. I've forgotten how much cleaning work requires a full resin kit.
I only managed to partly assembled the rear suspension of my Lince (LMV for other users than Italians).

Hopefully I'll build the front axle faster. The interior is quite detailed and needs to be painted before assembling he cabin.
Stay tuned

Olivier