Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Campaign :: Improve your figures!
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 - 04:26 AM UTC
I´m in with this pretty rough looking revell box. Apart from the sprues there are 3 page of insturctions and the usual heath and safety reminder in there... Well.. why not?

This set dates back to 2002, but is most probably an slightly older ICM offering. Some details look quite good, some are well... odd.
I´ll start with the two figures in the middle, greenstuff, pe and resin heads are at the ready...
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 - 08:32 PM UTC
Fabian, cool set. I have this set as well and love the diorama potential. I am looking forward to see how you enhance it.

Please share your progress as you go along. Looking forward to see more!
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 02:40 AM UTC
No Problem, Jesper.
to be honest, I´m a bit surprised how good the look. After you have removed the mouldseams you end up with some quite nice figures. So far I´ve just cleaned them up and glued them together. (I´ve used only little Tamiya Extra Thin in case I have too break them apart again...)
As usual I fixed them on a on a bottle cap, preferably of local origin

I´ve started with the modifications and replaced the heads with resin ones by Warriors and Legend. The Plastic heads lack either definition or emotions. Next will be creating some undercut (already marked in the following picture)

As I want those guys to appear pretty messed up I have some sculpting to to, anyone tried rifts on figures?
graymouser17
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 04:58 AM UTC
how can I do this if my camera's battery well .
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:59 PM UTC
Nice progress, Fabian. The heads fit nicely with the figures.
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 428 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 12:52 AM UTC
nice one fabian. How well does his hand grab the leg/pant of the guy beeing carried?
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 04:50 AM UTC
The sleeping giants have been awakened! … or should I say … sleeping miniatures?!

This looks to be a really fun campaign with lots of members enlisted; that should make for quite the army of figures on completion day! I’m psyched to finally get started and can only hope to improve my techniques by sponging much knowledge from you guys.

Good luck to all ye enlisted here! … I'm gonna’ need it!

—mike
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 04:55 AM UTC
Thought I’d give this a whirl; the diorama title will be ‘Tug of War.’

Caption: In 1945, bicycles were a coveted means of transportation and special permission was required to ride one. Here, a Soviet soldier attempts to wrestle a bicycle from a German woman in Berlin. Apparently, she did not have permission or evidence thereof. Image and caption sourced from GHDI (German History in Documents and Images)

I've got a few boxes to dive into! 📦

The “four-one-one” timestamp.

Kit breakdown and some of the chosen Franken-victims. In addition, I’ll be adding a few Hornet Heads and Hands to my rowdy crowd as I get further along.

—mike
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 11:23 AM UTC
I need to catch up a couple of projects and make some room on the workbench but I'll probably start soon. I was going to lead off doing a set of ICM WW1 German Soldiers for a planned rebuild of a diorama, but I may hold off on that one for the Extreme Makeover Campaign.

I've got some ICM female Soviet soldiers that have a Bond Villain female minion look to them. Mayeb shorten the skirt a bit and paint the legs as hosiery as opposed to bare skin. Or maybe they are part of the staff for a playboy styled Soviet commander.

Anyway, I'm just musing aloud. I've got a good bit to draw from. I'm using this as an opportunity to get some figures done that have just been collecting dust. I have some figures set aside for another campaign that I won't be including here.

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 12:36 PM UTC
Ola Guys

Here is something I started on a while back. Painting a figure and documenting all steps of it on the way. I'm lagging a bit behind with updates but I do plan to continue on it very soon. Actually I'm already a bit further and made the photographs only did not pull them through photoshop yet. I'm very far away from being a master painter but it could be useful to somebody.
Frozen Tanker SBS
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 02:15 PM UTC
Interesting diorama, Mike. Looking forward to see how the diorama plus building goes together. I have two of their kits in the stash although not that specific building.

Looking forward to see more.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 03:48 PM UTC
Spend some evening time throwing paint at the Jack Sparrow figure. Starts to look like something.

First round, Fleshtones, was done with Humbrol Enamel

I admit this looks kinda odd as never did he look anywhere this clean in the movies.

Then I looked at a lot of google pics of Depp as Sparrow and started to do the hair and his eyeshade with oils. I even did the cross shaped scar on his right cheeckbone but that one is not very visible in the pic

The paint might look like it has a bit of structure in this enlargement but once everything is painted I hit it with some matt Lacquer and then it is not an issue anymore.

More to follow soon. Some very intricate painting lays ahead aaaaahhrrrrr!!!
ironelf
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 07:15 PM UTC
Hi. I've forgotten how to upload photos Could someone point to the how-to or tell me how?

Thanks,

Chris
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 08:23 PM UTC
After identifying parts that were off the sprue, I had to think about how I was going to put this all together. First a moment of panic - 'What the !@#$@!%&*! have I got myself into? I said I would do what???!!!' The figures are fully kitted out in a manner that probably represents the official kit rather than how Japanese soldiers really appeared when fighting on Iwo Jima. So I figured the scenario is obviously pre-invasion, and represents a training exercise run by an over-zealous officer.

I tried to put together a mockup using the box illustrations, with the figures right on what is after all mostly a mound of dirt! That way it's not just a background. My challenge will be to turn this mess into something that at least looks semi-plausible!

ironelf
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 10:56 PM UTC
I'm hoping to do more than one figure for this campaign, but to start I've chosen a combo of horse and rider so I can practice different challenges when building and especially painting.

I haven't decided which of the two figures I'll start with, but I'll post as I move along.

Cheers!

Chris
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 02:35 AM UTC
cool stuff guys!

Here is what I'll start with. 3 figures do go with two small vignettes of the Renault FT and my Takom Mk.IV
So from the miniart box i'll do the gentleman with the cane and from the masterbox set the two tommies! (The cold wind set lost out in the semifinals. Depending on how things progress I might get to them later. They do look very cool )

Molding looks crisp on the masterbox figures!

I will try to scrape of all the straps and replace with some led foil instead. In general with these figures I will make an effort to "go the extra mile"
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 09:40 AM UTC
Hey guys! … Cool topics already pouring into this campaign!

I managed to get in a little bench time. Here’s the bicycle center stage prop — fiddly assembly is done!

Started organizing, assembling and adjusting some of the figures. I think the soldier’s legs (bottom right) are actually gonna’ work with a little left boot adjustment. The whole soldier-to-bike-to-woman assembly is going to be one hell of a delicate balancing act when that day comes.

More blade-wielding and putty-slingin’ to come!

—mike
Mack_S
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 01:15 AM UTC
I've finally gotten around to getting my starting photo for the campaign...

I'll be doing the figures and using them in a diorama with my two Bradleys that I'm building.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 01:12 PM UTC
Cool choice, Mack. I have heard good things about the Masterbox figures.

How will you do the camo? Will you paint it or use decals? I have been tempted to use decals many times before myself, but have yet to experiment with it.
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 02:04 PM UTC
bike looks great mike! I have one of those in the stash, you made me want to build it

Striker
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 06:43 AM UTC
Here's some wip shots. Face "done" and armor basecoated. I'm thinking of stopping on the face as I tend to overdo the shading and it takes on a darker tone. Opinions welcome.

Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 06:29 PM UTC
John, it looks nice but a little hard to see. Maybe you can take a few shots in a better lit area? And perhaps even zoomed in a bit
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 11:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

John, it looks nice but a little hard to see. Maybe you can take a few shots in a better lit area? And perhaps even zoomed in a bit

In addition, placing a piece of white or color paper behind your figure (curved upward) would really help when you shoot.
BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 370 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 11:43 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

I have a couple of figures that I want to build for this campaign both of which at 1/16th scale. The first one is the Tamiya WWII German Infantryman Reversible Winter Uniform.

I figured, this would be a good exercise in painting a face, camouflage and various gears. I have not decided yet which camo pattern to paint.

The second figure I want to complete is Miniart's French Knight XV Century. On this example, aside from painting a face, it would also be an exercise in painting metal and solid colored clothing.

Thanks,

Joseph
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 12:02 PM UTC
Joseph,

Nice choices — an excellent way to practice many disciplines. Looking forward to your camo and metal guys duking it out!

—mike