Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Golden Memories (campaign idea)
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 01:12 AM UTC
I'm actually building faster than I'm remembering to shoot and post pics, I got these a day or two ago but just got around to up loading them. The suspension is all together, I'm waiting on the replacement wheels to arrive (out for delivery today per USPS) and some PE which Trumpeter didn't see fit to include in the -25 variants until the -25A2 not sure why because the -25 SLEP came out after they started including the generic PE set.

The kit comes with the SLEP muffler shroud which was apparently supposed to reduce the vehicle's thermal signature, we had all four LAR battalions present in Iraq during Spring Break 2003 as well as vehicles from the MPS squadron and there were a total of zero that had the muffler shroud. One of the mechs told me why, and for the life of me I don't remember why exactly it was removed - I think it had something to do with overheating but I'm not sure anymore.

I know I have sprue remnants left on the lifting eyes in the pics, it makes it easier to position them straight and the attachment point is kind of huge so I use them. They've since been removed. More pics tomorrow (hopefully).
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 02:37 AM UTC
Great progress with the LAV John, the suspension looks like a fun eye straining build lol.

There is now a campaign gallery up and running thanks again to Richard, I have put a link on the first page where the rules and regs are.

stay safe ....

John
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2020 - 08:58 AM UTC
Well, have been able to catch up a bit with the CVRT, and after a gremlin attack on the air brush, I managed to get the UK nato cam on.

Still have to do the little bits, tidy up the headlights and the small lenses, touch up the barrel and around the periscope edges. Paint the C/S plate and convoy plate.
Then add the sprockets and tracks which are painted and together at the side waiting. Wheels are on but hidden under the masking tape.
Last thing to go on will be the mud flaps which are P.E so I can bend them a little for realism.
One huge nightmare I had today was I discovered to my horror that I had somehow lost the decal sheet, which is a pain as I only needed a few things from it, but as is the case, they are pretty key, weight classification, number plates ... So will have to come up with a plan B

Then it will be a gentle dusty weathering...

Hope everyone is keeping well...
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 05:03 AM UTC
Just wanted to run this by everyone here to see if everyone was ok with it...

Many months ago I did the ultimate FUBAR, for some insane reason, without thinking or realising, I base coated a Chally 1 I had been doing (was going to be my old wagon in Germany in the late 80's).... In satin black instead of the Matt black primer I thought the can was... I cried so much lol... Anyhows, I am going to try and salvage it if I can. Below is the sorry state it's in at the moment.

If the new base coat works, it will be standard UK NATO cam of black and green, my old C/S 42, and then detailing and weathering.... Fingers crossed.

Now, I don't intend including it in this Golden memories campaign, as it was 90% complete when I made the paint cock up and it's been sat in a box ever since. But I thought I would try and salvage it, and really because the Chally was a massive Golden memory for me about my fantastic time in Germany in the 80's. What I would like to do is just show some updated pics of progress I make on it until she is finished.... Would everyone be ok with that ?
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 1,390 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 06:06 AM UTC
John,

Your splendid CVRT will definitely need some company!
I'm eager to follow your progress on yet another of your Golden Memories here!

petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 08:24 AM UTC
Angel, you really know how to fo overt the top don't you?

John and John. Great work so far guys.

John H, it will be good to see you finish the Chally too.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 10:10 AM UTC
Beginning the salvage process. New base coat applied and it took ok over the satin black (I still cringe even saying that lol).

Just to reconfirm, the Chally isn't the entry for this campaign, it was an old build which went wrong.

I'm only doing info only updates as the actual tank was a big part of my armoured life while in as was then West Germany. I was a loader then commanded one for about 6 months prior to moving back to the UK and CVRT's.

Have also primed the wheels and sprockets and done one coat of NATO green on those.

And thanks Angel and Peter for your kind remarks and encouragement.
PasiAhopelto
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 02:03 AM UTC
Getting started:

The kit is by Finmilmodels. It's small company, and Combat Models is one of resellers that has packaged this particular example. There's some smart engineering, for example wheels are in three layers, which makes it possible to have deep off road pattern made with (I assume) simple molds.

I'm building it out of box with exception of snow chains. I think Flyhawk's 1/700 ship anchor chains will look better than plastic "chain" included in the kit.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 03:16 AM UTC
Good to see you get going Pasi, it looks like a pretty comprehensive kit for 1/72 with the amount of parts you have there.

Which variant will you be doing and were you a driver or passenger or other crew member ?

Hope you are keeping safe up in Finland.
PasiAhopelto
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 04:39 PM UTC
It will be Finnish defence forces vehicle, and I was a passenger in 92-93. The kit does look nice, and I think I'll see quite soon how easily it builds.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 12:21 PM UTC
Is this the correct thread for the build postings?

I've chosen and pulled out the kit I'll be building for "Golden Memories."

Italeri's M-977 HEMTT, two sets of Eduard PE, and Tank Workshop's correct Michelin tires.

In a U.S. Army Field Artillery Battalion, the HEMTTs were in Service Battery. Prior to "crossing the border" into Iraq, the Command element decided we needed a better vehicle to move our TacFire shelter and the two 15Kw generators. We were given the "pick of the litter" of Service's M-977s (their Battery Commander was NOT happy). Anyhow, this vehicle will be built as the HEMTT we absconded with (with the S-280 shelter (Italeri's kit too) to be done later as there will be a whole lot of scratch building needed.

Mike

p.s. There are three campaign builds being worked on now, so it'll be a bit before I get going on it.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 06:42 PM UTC
Mike, hi, and great to see you here. This is the thread you need for the builds.
The HEMTT sounds like a great build and can't wait to see you bring it together, and any scratch building always gives them a more personal touch.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 06:02 AM UTC
I managed to do a tiny bit of assembly and a bit of clean-up of the frame and cross-members. My, that's a lot of PE in those two sets!

Regardless, I'll enjoy this because this'll be one of the first kits of a vehicle "I owned" while I was in the U.S. Army Field Artillery.

Mike
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 06:54 AM UTC
Looking forward to see your HEMTT, Mike!

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 07:50 AM UTC
Hi Group,

Is it too late for me to join?
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 08:10 AM UTC
The first pieces are always the hardest for me when I start a new model Mike, now you've started you will breeze it...

And Frederick, of course it's not to late, what are you going to be doing for your memories ??

John
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Frederick, of course it's not to late, what are you going to be doing for your memories ??

I have one definite and two other possible subjects:

3. On my dad's side I have a great uncle who flew photo-recon P-38s over Europe. F-4 or F-5, and what unit, I do not know. So it would be a generic photo Lightning, if such is allowed.

2. I flew T-37s in USAF and C-47/DC-3s in civilian work. I would like to build the C-47.

1. My first and main enter is the Corsair Armada 1/700 USS Houston.

This has the most personal meaning to me as my dad went to war on Houston, until she was sunk the night of February 28-March 1, 1942. He was the only member of the crew to not be killed or captured, and made it to Australia on USS USS Isabel. He spent the rest of the war on Isabel.

So I'll build Houston, then one of my airplanes if I have the time, and finally - if allowed - the recon P-38.
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 09:23 AM UTC
Angel, Oliver, John and Pasi, great models. Angel, your radio rack is inspirational.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 09:42 AM UTC
Frederick, in answer to your questions....I will make it simple .... Yes, yes and yes lol.
The back story and history about your Dad and the Houston is pretty amazing in itself, I can see why it means so much to you and rightly so. I think once it's done she will deserve a proper mount and a brass plaque to honour him.
Would also love to see the C47 built, something personal to you that you used.
And the lightning ... Of course that's a go as well... The campaign is on till end of Dec so there is time hopefully ..

And the bonus for the whole campaign is that we will at last have a representative from the sea, land and air once yours are done Frederick.

I'm almost complete on my CVRT and the Chally (although that's not actually entered in this campaign, all pics and updates are info only) won't be far behind. Then hopefully I will have my CVRT Striker from Andreas which is my fondest wagon I commanded....
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 09:56 AM UTC
Lots of seam sanding and ejector filling, oh my.

Coming together.

And, of course, I realized that I put the shackles and tow pintle on upside down.

The "pumpkins" and axle assemblies have rather large seams right down the center. If I recall correctly, the real-deal had a weld line across the top and bottom of the axles/pumpkin so I won't need to remove that portion, but the rest? Here we go again....

Mike
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 04:26 AM UTC
Those are the joys Mike LOL i think they are the bane of everyones life when it comes to modelling...... I remember when I first started and my first kit ... young, keen to get it finished, globs glue everywhere, things not aligned properly, no idea that the seams and other marks where flaws.... just so happy I had finished it .....
Now we spend hours and hours trying to get them as perfect as we can after sometimes hours if not days of research to make we have every detail spot on .....no wonder i have grey hair now lol ...
keep up the great work .... it will be worth it.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 02:01 PM UTC
Ah, the CHAOS of my workspace.

I got a fair bit more done today after work (I'm one of those "essential" [or is it "sacrificial"] folks). Axles, deck supports, engine housing, etc. Most of the "detail" on the air filter will be removed and replaced with PE. Same for the exhaust (which I think I'll just scratch from some styrene tube - shoot, may do that with the filter too). HobbyTown is now open, so if I don't have the right tube sizes, they should.

Mike
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 - 12:12 AM UTC
Looking good, Mike!
I mean your progress sofar

Compared to what my man cave usualy looks like, yours looks waaay tidier

Keep up the good work!
Antilles
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 - 03:15 AM UTC
Well mates,

I am very sorry. There have been some turbulences in my life. So I did not post very much and forgot my finished Marder.

Angel: The amount of detail You put in this kit is really stunning.

Keep on building!

Oliver
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 - 03:55 AM UTC
Hey Oliver,

Hope you are well and things are better now.

Your Marder looks great, some very nice detail and weathering which really brings it to life. What was your place in the Marder, crew or a foot slogger ??

And Mike, like Angel I am impressed with the tidiness of your work area and the paint rack is very nice ... home made or bought ??. I always start with the intention of keeping mine as neat as I can, but usually fail on that task within an hour of starting lol,